PDA

View Full Version : Howland

justwin
01-16-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm not a big basketball fan, but after watching Peters run the team I can see why Howland let Malik Newman walk.

I'm sure Peters isn't the best PG in the country, but comparing what little I've seen of him play vs Malik, there's no comparison in terms of tempo, aggressiveness, and overall ability to score. I just don't see how Malik could've been a PG over Peters once Peters got acquainted to the college level.

Now, I do think Malik would've been a good shooting guard rotating with Q.

Hopefully, Malik proves me wrong and does well at his next stop.

Dawgology
01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Is he sitting out a year now? WHere did he transfer?

Big4Dawg
01-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Yes. Kansas

basedog
01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Peters has a chance to be the best or one of the best point guards in Msu history. Newman is at Kansas, I wish him the best but I'd take Peters all day everyday over him.

ZedFedder
01-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I'd have to say that Lamar is my favorite player on this team. At the end of the game against Bama, you could tell how mad he was that they lost. He hates to lose, and I love that about him. If he keeps his head on straight then I see no reason why he won't be one of the best floor generals we have ever had.

Bothrops
01-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Peters is a much better at PG than Newman. Newman doesn't have the ball handling skills to hang with Peters.

MaxedOutMaroon
And to think of the warranted questions we had concerning Peters after his start to the season (oversleeping a game). He seems to have really woken up. Love to see his resilience and determination.

louisvilledawg
Is Kegler Malik Newman 2.0?

#hottakesonly

RougeDawg
01-16-2017, 11:05 AM
So horatio had Malik a one and done player. Didn't get bisbway at MSU, took his ball and now might not even be a third year guy drafted. Looks like another kids career ruined by an overzealous parent trying to love through them. Getting rid of both of them helps our team more than meets the eye.

Dawg61
01-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Hopefully, Malik proves me wrong and does well at his next stop.

Is Kegler Malik Newman 2.0?

#hottakesonly

1. Why are we hoping Newman does well at Kansas? **** that guy

2. I also get the feeling Kegler is Newman 2.0. Hope I am wrong.

thf24
01-16-2017, 11:30 AM
I'm not going to pass any judgements on Kegler yet, but it concerns me that his shot selection hasn't seemed to improve at all since the start of the season like it has for all the other freshmen. He's also been inconsistent in terms of effort; some games he hits the boards hard and puts in work on defense, others he's mostly invisible without the ball in his hands.

DanDority
01-16-2017, 11:36 AM
So horatio had Malik a one and done player. Didn't get bisbway at MSU, took his ball and now might not even be a third year guy drafted. Looks like another kids career ruined by an overzealous parent trying to love through them. Getting rid of both of them helps our team more than meets the eye.

Must spread rep. I don't care if Malik has a good career or not he is not one of us, he and his daddy chose to leave.

Mjoelner34
01-16-2017, 11:37 AM
And to think of the warranted questions we had concerning Peters after his start to the season (oversleeping a game). He seems to have really woken up.

I immediately thought of this:
https://kylegrant76.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/sleeper-has-awa-ken-ed-dune-1984.png

justwin
01-16-2017, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Dawg61;688517]1. Why are we hoping Newman does well at Kansas? **** that guy

QUOTE]

He didn't go to a rival. His recruitment gave good buzz back to MSU hoops. Just turns out he wasn't as good as advertised which was probably hard for he & his dad to come to grips with.

DownwardDawg
01-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Newman turned out to be a huge bust. Very average player at best.

Dawg61
01-16-2017, 01:10 PM
He didn't go to a rival. His recruitment gave good buzz back to MSU hoops. Just turns out he wasn't as good as advertised which was probably hard for he & his dad to come to grips with.

Alright I will buy that initially landing Newman did help MSU perception wise and may have been a big reason we got Holman but he wrecked all that and more by transferring on Howland. Don't think for a second our competition doesn't bring up Newman to any of the players we are recruiting right now. He is a negative for Howland moving forward.

DancingRabbit
01-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Alright I will buy that initially landing Newman did help MSU perception wise and may have been a big reason we got Holman but he wrecked all that and more by transferring on Howland. Don't think for a second our competition doesn't bring up Newman to any of the players we are recruiting right now. He is a negative for Howland moving forward.

I suspect Howland thinks the transfer was best for both parties, and that he can handle questions about it in recruiting in about 3 minutes.

If that recruiting process had happened a year later Ben probably doesn't get him. We needed a big splash so Ben told Malik and Horatio what they wanted to hear regarding the PG vs SG question.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Hasn't hurt him so far. With the way kids transfer in basketball now nobody can use that as a recruiting edge.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 01:35 PM
I think Kegler will adjust sooner then later. He is playing the position he wanted to and is his best fit. He isn't scoring as much as he potentially could but we really don't need him to as long as he keeps doing the little things. If he gives us 10/6/3 then he is doing what he needs to at the Small Forward. I think he gets there. Just from the chemistry you can see from the last three games, you can tell everyone really likes each other. The only one I am thinking that transfers next year is probably Strugg. I could see Kegler pouring it on next year and getting drafted in the NBA after his sophomore season. This year we really haven't needed him to be our top scorer. His facilitating and rebounding abilities have been very good in our winning streak. Now he is a guy who could go off tomorrow that could give us a chance at the upset.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Hasn't hurt him so far. With the way kids transfer in basketball now nobody can use that as a recruiting edge.

It was just a perfect storm with Malik that really wasn't anyone's fault per se. He was injured initially and that slowed his development last year. You add jealous seniors to the mix that initially were not getting him the ball on purpose and chemistry issues because of this and you have a recipe for disaster. That environment made Malik want to get a fresh start somewhere else. Can't really blame the kid because IMO him transferring was just best for all parties involved.

MCsMGs
01-16-2017, 02:13 PM

We're gonna need a few more transfers out if we're gonna keep improving the roster...or put some players in the NBA. One would be quite naive to look at the current roster and what we have coming in and not realize that one or more very talented players will end up transferring.

louisvilledawg
01-16-2017, 03:17 PM
I think Kegler will adjust sooner then later. He is playing the position he wanted to and is his best fit. He isn't scoring as much as he potentially could but we really don't need him to as long as he keeps doing the little things. If he gives us 10/6/3 then he is doing what he needs to at the Small Forward. I think he gets there. Just from the chemistry you can see from the last three games, you can tell everyone really likes each other. The only one I am thinking that transfers next year is probably Strugg. I could see Kegler pouring it on next year and getting drafted in the NBA after his sophomore season. This year we really haven't needed him to be our top scorer. His facilitating and rebounding abilities have been very good in our winning streak. Now he is a guy who could go off tomorrow that could give us a chance at the upset.

I hope he comes around for sure and makes adjustments quickly.

He's avg 9 pts, 6 rebounds, and 2 turnovers a game. Not even avg an assist per game for the season.

Stapleton is only avg 3 fewer points and rebounds per game than Kegler in about 15 fewer minutes than him.

Hope he turns it on because we know the talent is there.

Dawg61
01-16-2017, 05:31 PM
We're gonna need a few more transfers out if we're gonna keep improving the roster...or put some players in the NBA. One would be quite naive to look at the current roster and what we have coming in and not realize that one or more very talented players will end up transferring.

I realize we will almost always have some form of turnover, as most teams do, but I also realize at some point in time Mario Kegler is going to be an absolute load to handle when the light clicks on and I prefer that to be at MSU when it does.