PDA

View Full Version : Keys to pulling off the upset

BayouDawg
01-15-2017, 11:38 PM
What does the basketball team have to do to take down the fightin cals?
2 weeks ago I would've said we had no shot to take down Kentucky. Now I feel as excited as did in 2010 when John wall and cousins came to the Hump. I knew it would tough but that we had a chance.
I think KY's defense is suspect and they are young. If we can get the Hump rocking it could go a long way in rattling them. If we can get hot from 3 all bets are off. What do y'all think our chances are?

msstate7
01-15-2017, 11:42 PM
< 10% bc they're gonna kill us on the boards. Just hope we don't have a hangover for Tennessee game

preachermatt83
01-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Minus 15 percent

BayouDawg
01-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Vandy had em on the ropes for a while. I may be overly optomistic, but I think we give em all they want.

preachermatt83
01-15-2017, 11:46 PM
I say they Uk wins by 23

civildawg
01-15-2017, 11:51 PM
We would have to hit about every three we take

msstate7
01-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Vandy had em on the ropes for a while. I may be overly optomistic, but I think we give em all they want.

Kentucky shot 11.1% from 3 and only outrebounded vandy by 6. If those 2 things happen, we have a shot

It_Could_Happen
01-15-2017, 11:54 PM
1. Weather the storm early
2. Get the crowd engaged early in the game. Can't have another slow start.
3. Schnider/Holman/Datcher/Kegler gotta find a way to crash the boards somehow
4. Q gotta Q for the whole game.

EngDawg
01-16-2017, 12:03 AM
Space aliens invade and intervene on our behalf.***

In all seriousness though we would have to execute perfectly at every position and hope UK has an extremely sloppy game. I just don't see it happening, but "Any given night..."

BayouDawg
01-16-2017, 12:23 AM
I'm usually a pretty pessimistic person, but I just have this feeling that it's gonna happen. Maybe it's just gas though

msbulldog
01-16-2017, 07:21 AM
I'm usually a pretty pessimistic person, but I just have this feeling that it's gonna happen. Maybe it's just gas though

Take a Beano pill and get back to us and let us know how you feel then.

Mjoelner34
01-16-2017, 08:48 AM

1. They have to play with only 4 players the entire game and cannot sub.
2. We have to shoot about 70%

Do those two things and we'll win by 6 or 7.

msstate7
01-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Rebounds (sec ranks)...
Kentucky #1
State #14

Assists...
Kentucky #1
State #10

Blocks...
Kentucky #1
State #11

Steals...
State #3
Kentucky #10

Nothing else is really that different than the other

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Let's just start with getting an officiating crew in that actually knows it's ok to blow the whistle against the team wearing blue. I know, waaaaaaay too much to ask. We'll never be allowed to make this a competitive game. I'm willing to bet all my V-cash that by the 10:00 mark in the first half we will have 7 team fouls compared to maybe two for UK.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
If we hit our threes and run our offense, we can beat them. If we can turn them over, we have a chance as well. We will need to turn them over to negate their rebounding advantage. We will need them to have an off night shooting. It's not as much of a long shot as you think. Vandy played them close with this recipe and Kentucky's shot was off. I think we play them close.

klong-dog
01-16-2017, 09:05 AM
UK 88
State 69

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Rebounds (sec ranks)...
Kentucky #1
State #14

Assists...
Kentucky #1
State #10

Blocks...
Kentucky #1
State #11

Steals...
State #3
Kentucky #10

Nothing else is really that different than the other

I don't think the stats mean that much unless you really are only going by SEC only stats. Since our new starting five three games ago, we are playing at a completely different level.

msstate7
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
I don't think the stats mean that much unless you really are only going by SEC only stats. Since our new starting five three games ago, we are playing at a completely different level.
They're #1 in rebounds. We got absolutely pummeled on the boards with our new lineup Saturday. aTm is 5th in rebounding. If we don't rebound better, we have zero shot bc Kentucky has guard play... better than us actually

mparkerfd20
01-16-2017, 09:23 AM
There's absolutely nothing we can do. There is no possibility of State upsetting KY. None at all. KY wins by 20+

Irondawg
01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
We really have to shoot the absolute lights out from 3 and hit about 14-16 of those and they would have to shoot about 10%. Then we need to shoot about 85% from the line and be +8 or so in the turnover department.

Dawgology
01-16-2017, 09:34 AM
We're going to lose by a lot...I just hope it doesn't mess with this young teams mentality because they are still good with a bright future. IF we had a better inside presence and knew how to rebound then I would say (if our 3's fell right) we would stand a chance. An unbalanced team like ours really doesn't stand a chance in beating UK.

KentuckyDawg13
01-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Nothing to lose. Our young guns will not be intimated, but the UK machine may be by a hostile HUMP crowd. May be the first sellout since Stans.

The biggest concern from a game perspective is who will guard Monk? In addition, EJ Hatcher may be injured, which hurts our post depth badly.

If we had Ado, I would feel more optimistic, but we have surprised many people so far 4 games into the SEC. Bama game was a wakeup call, the rest the team has been on a mission. I think our team is truly playing team ball and love the feeling they are experiencing with new founded support and winning. I think initially they were surprised by the crowd at The Hump and placed too much pressure on themselves before they finally started playing, as they should.

This game will go a far way in the development of our team. Win or lose.

Liverpooldawg
01-16-2017, 11:39 AM
2 weeks ago I would've said we had no shot to take down Kentucky. Now I feel as excited as did in 2010 when John wall and cousins came to the Hump. I knew it would tough but that we had a chance.
I think KY's defense is suspect and they are young. If we can get the Hump rocking it could go a long way in rattling them. If we can get hot from 3 all bets are off. What do y'all think our chances are?

Our chances are slim, very slim. They have to have a REALLY bad game and everything has to go extremely right for us.

confucius say
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Have not watched ky play a while game. Will reserve judgment until I see that, but I think we have a better chance to beat them than our women to beat uconn.

BayouDawg
01-16-2017, 01:04 PM
I'm just excited to be excited about basketball again. I wish I could make it tomorrow night.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 01:24 PM
You guys have been so right so far with your predictions....

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Kentucky shot 11.1% from 3 and only outrebounded vandy by 6. If those 2 things happen, we have a shot

Yep. That can happen especially for a young team on the road. I think our shot will be on simply because we usually don't have two terrible shooting games in a row.

parabrave
01-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Have a trainer sneak into their lockerroom and put spike their gatorade with a fast acting super laxative.

3rdGen
01-16-2017, 03:26 PM
We really have to shoot the absolute lights out from 3 and hit about 14-16 of those and they would have to shoot about 10%. Then we need to shoot about 85% from the line and be +8 or so in the turnover department.

So do we take the golden state approach and just shoot threes all game? Problem is we have to hit them.