PDA

View Full Version : Greg Byrne new Alabama AD

Really Clark?
01-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Reports are just coming that he looks to be named tomorrow.

nsvltndog
01-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Very Ninja like - I mean who saw this coming? UF search was very open and talked about. I didn't even realize Bama was looking for an AD.

LC Dawg
01-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Damn. Alabama's and Florida's athletic programs will be run by former Mississippi State ADs.
How long before Cohen goes to LSU?**

WildDawg
01-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Reckon he'll shut down their below the board methods....or fall right in line???

MarketingBully
01-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Three AD jobs in less then 10 years. He is becoming the Larry Brown of Athletic Directors.

fader2103
01-15-2017, 10:00 PM
The Ninja is gonna help State from the inside. Very ninja like!

civildawg
01-15-2017, 10:04 PM
I had no idea Bama was even in the market

Gutter Cobreh
01-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Cohen to Arizona***

Todd4State
01-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Wow! That gives MSU a lot of friendly connections within the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Kentucky (Byrne, Stricklin, and Cohen were all there at one point in time under Barnhardt), and Texas A&M (Byrne's Dad).

Cooterpoot
01-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Must suck to be AD and answer to Saban.

defiantdog
01-15-2017, 10:10 PM
I had no idea Bama was even in the market
Bill Battle was only a temporary AD. hes been trying to step down for a while now. I'm not sure how Byrne will fit in at Alabama. You think OM's network is controlling? Byrne has no idea what kind of network Bama has. You only truly find out when you step into that hell hole.

civildawg
01-15-2017, 10:14 PM
I mean I understand Bama football is great but is it really that much better than Arizona which is where he calls home? Just seems odd

PassInterference
01-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Wonder if Byrne hates OM.

DownwardDawg
01-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Reckon he'll shut down their below the board methods....or fall right in line???

Which methods you talking about?

IMissJack
01-15-2017, 10:40 PM
This can't be good news for the Rebs psyche.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-15-2017, 10:44 PM
Think Byrne will fire Saban just to show 'em whose in charge?

Todd4State
01-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Think Byrne will fire Saban just to show 'em whose in charge?

And then hires Dan Mullen while we end up with Saban.**

Reason2succeed
01-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Not too long ago I remember State was always hiring Bama retreads. Glad to see that these programs respect what has been done here enough to hire our previous ADs. This is a sign that we are on the right track.

LC Dawg
01-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Wonder if Byrne hates OM.

Everybody hates Ole Miss.

coastdoglover
01-15-2017, 11:27 PM
He knows for sure how Ole Miss operates.

Todd4State
01-15-2017, 11:42 PM
He knows for sure how Ole Miss operates.

And Auburn- lest we forget Cam gate, and I know he hasn't.

Skydawg1
01-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Damn. Alabama's and Florida's athletic programs will be run by former Mississippi State ADs.
How long before Cohen goes to LSU?**LSU should be shaking in their boots.

fader2103
01-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Larry Templeton to Ole Miss!!!!

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2017, 02:39 AM
The more SEC ADs with MSU ties, the better for MSU.

RocketDawg
01-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Didn't he say when he left us that Arizona was the only place he'd go since he was "going home"? And now ....

MafiaDawg
01-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Yea. Either he was full of shit or something happened at zona. I'm leaning towards the former.

msbulldog
01-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Alabama has 1 of the top 5 athletic budgets in the country, really big step-up, except you have to deal with the gumps.

codeDawg
01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Didn't he say when he left us that Arizona was the only place he'd go since he was "going home"? And now ....

...and now all of his hard work had given him the opportunity to have one of the top jobs in his field. I don't know why anyone would begrudge a man for taking advantage of significant career opportunities.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 08:34 AM
He is becoming a journeyman AD. Three jobs in less then ten years in a position that people usually spend decades at is not a good look.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2017, 08:45 AM
He is becoming a journeyman AD. Three jobs in less then ten years in a position that people usually spend decades at is not a good look.

And Rich Rod has been a disaster hire for Arizona.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Yep. The legend of the ninja is much more legend then fact...

msstate7
01-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Last year was definitely bad, but 4 bowls (1 NY6) and 3 8 win or better seasons in 5 years is pretty good at Arizona.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 08:51 AM
I'm glad that we hired John Cohen who loves MSU and is loyal to our school and wants what's best for us instead of an up and comer AD that will leave at the first sign of something better. I don't know. Loyalty should mean something in this day and age. The Gumps can have Byrne.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Last year was definitely bad, but 4 bowls (1 NY6) and 3 8 win or better seasons in 5 years is pretty good at Arizona.

And he will be fired by their next AD.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 08:55 AM

Two of those four bowls were the New Mexico bowl basically the equivalent of the St. Petersburg Bowl.

codeDawg
01-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Yeah, he'll never get a top AD position if he keeps job hopping, oh, wait....

32 Dive
01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Alabama has 1 of the top 5 athletic budgets in the country, really big step-up, except you have to deal with the gumps.

"Greg, you have an opportunity to be Athletics Director at an institution with a top 5 budget. While Coach Saban controls 85% of it, we're confident that you can do wonders with the remainder." - Paraphrasing the "elephant in the room"

The Federalist Engineer
01-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Wow! That gives MSU a lot of friendly connections within the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Kentucky (Byrne, Stricklin, and Cohen were all there at one point in time under Barnhardt), and Texas A&M (Byrne's Dad).

I have no idea how "SEC Expulsion" actually works, but if expelling Ole Miss from the SEC, after their NCAA sanctions, comes-down to AD voting we definitely have something good here. Moreover, Alabama and Florida as a tandem could basically say, "they gone" and that would be that. Rebexit 2017!

coastdoglover
01-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Greg told me before we hired John Cohen , who he supported, that he was happy at Arizona but was concerned about the league being passed by by other conferences on tv deals, etc. He also told me he missed the SEC , so I assume the Alabama opportunity was too good to pass up. Before anybody belittle's him, remember he was very responsible for MSU getting Schaefer and also had a hand in Ben Howland. We owe a lot to him and I wish him well.

LC Dawg
01-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Seems to me that Bama AD is a pretty easy job. Do what Saban says in regards to football and nobody gives a shit about any other sports.

1bigdawg
01-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Seems to me that Bama AD is a pretty easy job. Do what Saban says in regards to football and nobody gives a shit about any other sports.

That works until Saban retires. With whom do you replace him?

Perpetual Underachiever
01-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Don't forget that the Ninja's new boss, Chancellor Ray Hayes, has very very very deep bulldog ties... Including being an alumnus, our VP of finance, the driving force behind the junction, and is still to this day a huge bulldog fan.

Liverpooldawg
01-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Yep. The legend of the ninja is much more legend then fact...

Yes, yes it is.

LC Dawg
01-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Jeff Sessions is going to get the government to clone Saban. Right after he gets the NCAA to quit picking on Ole Miss.

sack07
01-16-2017, 12:24 PM

You replace him with Dabo. A former Alabama WR and Birmingham native. Easy call

DownwardDawg
01-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Dabo Sweeney. And Byrne won't have much say.

NCDawg
01-16-2017, 01:08 PM

He may fly out to Washington and try to convince Petersen to come to Alabama. Maybe he will have more luck with him going to Alabama than he had bringing him to Starkville.

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Greg told me before we hired John Cohen , who he supported, that he was happy at Arizona but was concerned about the league being passed by by other conferences on tv deals, etc. He also told me he missed the SEC , so I assume the Alabama opportunity was too good to pass up. Before anybody belittle's him, remember he was very responsible for MSU getting Schaefer and also had a hand in Ben Howland. We owe a lot to him and I wish him well.

Nice. I guess Stricklin really didn't do anything then here.

msbulldog
01-16-2017, 01:52 PM
I have no idea how "SEC Expulsion" actually works, but if expelling Ole Miss from the SEC, after their NCAA sanctions, comes-down to AD voting we definitely have something good here. Moreover, Alabama and Florida as a tandem could basically say, "they gone" and that would be that. Rebexit 2017!

I would imagine that's a university president vote.

State82
01-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Everybody hates Ole Miss.

Good answer

lamont
01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Nice. I guess Stricklin really didn't do anything then here.

fundraiser mostly

MarketingBully
01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
fundraiser mostly

Gotcha. Byrne truly is a ninja if while working for Arizona he also got us Schaefer and Howland. I guess Stricklin was twittling his thumbs at that time. You guys do realize Byrne was only the AD here for two years. He used us for better gigs and then he used Arizona for an even better gig. Sorry, I just don't see this ninja legend you guys do. To each their own though. You guys can continue to look at him as the ninja and hold him in high regard if you want.

codeDawg
01-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Gotcha. Byrne truly is a ninja if while working for Arizona he also got us Schaefer and Howland. I guess Stricklin was twittling his thumbs at that time. You guys do realize Byrne was only the AD here for two years. He used us for better gigs and then he used Arizona for an even better gig. Sorry, I just don't see this ninja legend you guys do. To each their own though. You guys can continue to look at him as the ninja and hold him in high regard if you want.

I guess he was here long enough to piss in your Cheerios.

BTW, he had a lot to do with those hires. Byrne continued to be a friend of the program, even from UA.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-16-2017, 05:24 PM

I'm guessing he didn't reach out to us when we had our opening? I'm sure if what you're saying is true, and I don't have any reason to doubt it, but I'm sure he didn't just start feeling this way the past two months. I just wonder if he felt this way and missed the SEC that he might have considered coming back to us when we had our opening. Or, as I type this I'm thinking he knew Bama was coming open and wanted to wait on that one.

RocketDawg
01-16-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm glad that we hired John Cohen who loves MSU and is loyal to our school and wants what's best for us instead of an up and comer AD that will leave at the first sign of something better. I don't know. Loyalty should mean something in this day and age. The Gumps can have Byrne.

Didn't many think we had all those things with Stricklin? BTW, I already like Cohen better than I did Stricklin.

RocketDawg
01-16-2017, 05:58 PM
...and now all of his hard work had given him the opportunity to have one of the top jobs in his field. I don't know why anyone would begrudge a man for taking advantage of significant career opportunities.

I don't begrudge him taking advantage of new opportunities. It's just that it doesn't jive with what he wrote to all of us in his email announcing his move. If it wasn't true, why say it? Just say I'm leaving for what I consider a better job.

TUSK
01-16-2017, 11:34 PM
Kush gig to have, until your HC goes 9-4....

fader2103
01-17-2017, 11:21 AM

The only reason people call him the Ninja is how he handled the hiring of Mullen.

Political Hack
01-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Personally I think it sucks to see him leave State to "go home," only to leave a few years later for a new home 90 miles away from Starkville. Professionally, it's a no-brainer.

I have a feeling he and Strick are gunning for the same job long term.

Lance Harbor
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Personally I think it sucks to see him leave State to "go home," only to leave a few years later for a new home 90 miles away from Starkville. Professionally, it's a no-brainer.

I have a feeling he and Strick are gunning for the same job long term.

What are the Ninja origins again? (I'm old and can't remember)