PDA

View Full Version : Just got back.....

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 05:08 PM
THAT was the kind of game I wanted to see from us before I started to get excited. That game was won on EFFORT on the defensive end and NOT by shooting lights out from beyond the arc. We survived the first half on guts and defense. That carried us to the win in the second. We had every opportunity to fold up........and we didn't. It's been a long, long time. Just a few observations in no particular order: Herad (spelling?) had his best game of his young career. It looks like the light has gone on for him. He is going to be very good. The light had already gone on for Peters but he also had his best game so far. He also is going to be very good. I've been really hard on IJ but he ALSO might have had his best ever game as a Dawg. It was his defense, not what he did on offense. Spoon had a tough first half but he hit some big shots in the second half. The rest played their parts and for the most part played them well. That for me was the most satisfying win for MSU basketball since WELL before Stans was let go.

Thoughts on the crowd. It's a start. There were WAY too many empty seats both in the alumni section and in the student section. Those who were there were into it but still need work. As I posted earlier, there were some echoes of the old snake pit today. There is still a long way to go.......but we are on the way back. All in all a great day out at the old building!

Intramural All-American
01-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Not an excuse, but a reason for not a full student section is that it is a long weekend due to no school Monday for MLK day. I'm sure it will be completely full Tuesday. The fact that their are so many prime seats in the lower level empty is embarrassing and shameful. Something had to be available to tell which seats go repeatedly unscanned, and those ticket holders should be punished. People just buying season tickets without the intent of going just to boost their BDC ranking is poor fandom.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Not an excuse, but a reason for not a full student section is that it is a long weekend due to no school Monday for MLK day. I'm sure it will be completely full Tuesday. The fact that their are so many prime seats in the lower level empty is embarrassing and shameful. Something had to be available to tell which seats go repeatedly unscanned, and those ticket holders should be punished. People just buying season tickets without the intent of going just to boost their BDC ranking is poor fandom.

I forgot about the students being off Monday. That did make a difference for sure. I agree that tickets that are almost never used should be revoked.

ScoobaDawg
01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
I forgot about the students being off Monday. That did make a difference for sure. I agree that tickets that are almost never used should be revoked.

you really want to revoke tickets from some of the higest ranked BDC members? Uhm no. But you could talk to them about options on how to fill the seats. through moving people down from the upper deck as a promotion or other ideas. But no, threatening them is not a good idea...

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 05:41 PM
you really want to revoke tickets from some of the higest ranked BDC members? Uhm no. But you could talk to them about options on how to fill the seats. through moving people down from the upper deck as a promotion or other ideas. But no, threatening them is not a good idea...

If they never use them or allow anyone else to use them, YES.

mparkerfd20
01-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I agree. They should Lose BDC points if they don't make X% of the games. And it should be very significant points.

msstate7
01-14-2017, 06:04 PM
I agree. They should Lose BDC points if they don't make X% of the games. And it should be very significant points.

How about gain points for used tickets?

4suredog
01-14-2017, 06:07 PM
I was actually for the original reseating at the time. There was around 30%+ of the lower level season tickets holders who were not, nor ever had been BC members. They simply bought the tickets each year and that was it. And, I am not one of the larger donors, but I do think if that guy is giving 10k and I am giving 1k, he should have a better seat than me. However, we have to set some parameters on attendance. If they didn't make it for noon on a Saturday, why in the world should we expect them to make a week night game? Maybe we should stress to them the importance of the ticket exchange? Actually decrease the points if they don't make x percent or put them into the ticket exchange, something along those lines.... But to say we should "punish" somebody giving that kind of money....And make no mistake, to be in those seats we are definitely talking about 10k+ a year.....So lets look at ways to make it work?

JoseBrown
01-14-2017, 06:09 PM
THAT was the kind of game I wanted to see from us before I started to get excited. That game was won on EFFORT on the defensive end and NOT by shooting lights out from beyond the arc. We survived the first half on guts and defense. That carried us to the win in the second. We had every opportunity to fold up........and we didn't. It's been a long, long time. Just a few observations in no particular order: Herad (spelling?) had his best game of his young career. It looks like the light has gone on for him. He is going to be very good. The light had already gone on for Peters but he also had his best game so far. He also is going to be very good. I've been really hard on IJ but he ALSO might have had his best ever game as a Dawg. It was his defense, not what he did on offense. Spoon had a tough first half but he hit some big shots in the second half. The rest played their parts and for the most part played them well. That for me was the most satisfying win for MSU basketball since WELL before Stans was let go.

Thoughts on the crowd. It's a start. There were WAY too many empty seats both in the alumni section and in the student section. Those who were there were into it but still need work. As I posted earlier, there were some echoes of the old snake pit today. There is still a long way to go.......but we are on the way back. All in all a great day out at the old building!

I agree with most everything you said, but come on give IJ a little more credit.... 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 6 points to go along with that defense. He is our glue. The others are the stars...

LC Dawg
01-14-2017, 06:10 PM
I hate the empty seats down low but if those people had not purchased the tickets they would have been unsold which means less revenue. You have to find a way to get people in those seats if the ticket owners don't attend.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 06:18 PM
I agree with most everything you said, but come on give IJ a little more credit.... 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 6 points to go along with that defense. He is our glue. The others are the stars...

I had no idea what his offensive stats were nor did I really care. It was his defense that made this his best game. That's always been the real beef with him. No complaints today.

archdog
01-14-2017, 10:06 PM
No idea why they do not open the bottom bowl at the 10 min mark of the 1st half. No idea what-so-ever.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 10:36 PM
I hate the empty seats down low but if those people had not purchased the tickets they would have been unsold which means less revenue. You have to find a way to get people in those seats if the ticket owners don't attend.

Actually there is no way THOSE seats would have remained unsold.

RezDog7
01-14-2017, 11:53 PM
That was the first game I have been to in a while and I really enjoyed it. I plan on being there Tuesday as well and will try to make it to more. The crowd wasn't bad but there were empty seats scattered throughout. I thought the student section did a good job of trying to keep the crowd in if the whole game.

sleepy dawg
01-15-2017, 01:46 AM
It's exciting to be excited about basketball again. I said I wouldn't get my hopes up this year (and last year) until we showed actual improvement. We've shown that now. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

MarketingBully
01-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Glad to see Liverpool is finally seeing what a lot of us had seen all along. Good to have you aboard. ;)

Aquadawg
01-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Coach howland bought this up in his post game comments. The ball is already rolling on this. Apparently, there is a process where season ticket holders can notify state if they are not attending to allow some to fill those seats. I am sure that coach H will press this issue and coach Cohen and the ticket office will get more proactive in addressing this.
Also, you don't want to penalize those who put up the big bucks (priority season tickets)for something they do to support the program. Many, I'm sure, know they won't be able to make it to only a few home games. The proximity of Starkville makes it a little difficult and our fan base it quite spread out. All that said, this will be solved rather quickly as this team goes forward... Winning is the best solution to this. I'm over 5 hours away and I am, for the first time in many years, looking ahead to find a way to get up to see both the men and women play. However, I am expecting this to get harder and harder to do because as the winning continues ticket availability will diminish. Would love to be able to get into a couple of those priority seats if not being used.

civildawg
01-15-2017, 08:16 AM
I agree with all points. Another big reason to me is tv. 10 years ago we only had a couple of games a year on tv. Now you can watch every game in the comfort of your home.

maroonmania
01-15-2017, 08:56 AM
I agree with all points. Another big reason to me is tv. 10 years ago we only had a couple of games a year on tv. Now you can watch every game in the comfort of your home.

This is a huge part of it if you think about it. Yes, football games are on TV but football games are much more of an event where people go to the game itself not only for the game but for everything surrounding the game including tailgating, partying, dogwalk, kids activities, restaurants, etc. So while you can sit home and watch the football game on TV its not the same experience. Going to a basketball game for the most part is just going to a basketball game so besides the feeling of being part of the crowd you don't miss much by watching on TV rather than going.

Bucky Dog
01-15-2017, 09:21 AM
First off on the tickets, some people actually buy basketball tickets to help their BDC points so they can have better football seating priority. That is a fact, and if these people don't use their tickets, or have someone else use the a certain amount of time, then don't give them credit for the points.

For yesterday's game, I was disappointed in the crowd a bit as well but we were into it. From an effor perspective my only gripes were that we got absolutely killed on the glass again, and we need to learn to give that consistent effort for 40 minutes every game. But I agree, our hustle, steals, perimeter defense and the likes contributed to the win.

Howboutdemdogs
01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
I have been a BB season ticket holder for 16 years. Yes, we are finally clawing our way back from the R.R. era. However, I was impressed with the way the crowd got into it yesterday; despite all the empty seats. With all the talk about the BC holding lower seats hostage with rank, I believe that if you purschase season tickets, use them. I can not afford to buy something and not use it. (And this comment will be hated), let's cut the number of faculty seats. They are never 25% filled. Plus, I believe that the student section needs to be moved back to behind the visitors bench and the commentators table. This will look good on TV and make it harder to play in the Hump for opposing teams.

Bdawg
01-15-2017, 09:44 AM

The university should have a system where ticket holders can report to the university they will not be attending said game and the university should put there tickets on sale at half price. You fill the seats and university make 1.5 times the money and other fans can get tickets at half price. Win win for both. And any empty seats after half time in any game can be moved to. No sense in not filling the lower section with fans in any game.

Fred Garvin
01-15-2017, 09:46 AM
For yesterday's game, I was disappointed in the crowd a bit as well but we were into it. From an effor perspective my only gripes were that we got absolutely killed on the glass again, and we need to learn to give that consistent effort for 40 minutes every game. But I agree, our hustle, steals, perimeter defense and the likes contributed to the win.

A&M had a huge front court. Much longer and stronger than ours so I can't fault the guys for not matching up on rebounds. I'm most impressed with how we took what A&M gave us and beat them.

MarketingBully
01-15-2017, 11:36 AM
First off on the tickets, some people actually buy basketball tickets to help their BDC points so they can have better football seating priority. That is a fact, and if these people don't use their tickets, or have someone else use the a certain amount of time, then don't give them credit for the points.

You do realize that A&M started 6'10, 6'10, 6'9, 6'10, and 6'3 as their starting five. They also were able to get away with many many many over the back fouls. So much so that when the refs called them on it, the Aggie players were wondering what they did wrong. We blocked out but if the ole over the back foul isn't called blocking out isn't as effective. We did turn them over quite a bit which negated A&M's rebounding edge.

Political Hack
01-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Have to do it this way. We need an immediate ticket exchange that's really, really easy to manage for the seller/giver and buyer/taker.

shannondawg
01-15-2017, 12:17 PM
I said at the time, that the cl probably didn't mean to, but that article on poor attendance helped us, and winning yesterday will bring in even bigger crowds.

For what we have been through, I was elated that the students showed up big time as well as the fans. The Hump is back!

Liverpooldawg
01-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Glad to see Liverpool is finally seeing what a lot of us had seen all along. Good to have you aboard. ;)

Good lord man. I was never not on board. You can't see the huge step forward that we took yesterday?

Liverpooldawg
01-15-2017, 01:24 PM
I have been a BB season ticket holder for 16 years. Yes, we are finally clawing our way back from the R.R. era. However, I was impressed with the way the crowd got into it yesterday; despite all the empty seats. With all the talk about the BC holding lower seats hostage with rank, I believe that if you purschase season tickets, use them. I can not afford to buy something and not use it. (And this comment will be hated), let's cut the number of faculty seats. They are never 25% filled. Plus, I believe that the student section needs to be moved back to behind the visitors bench and the commentators table. This will look good on TV and make it harder to play in the Hump for opposing teams.

You can't put the student section behind the visitor's bench, SEC rule.

MarketingBully
01-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Good lord man. I was never not on board. You can't see the huge step forward that we took yesterday?

I've seen it all along and knew most to all of our problems were due to youth and inexperience. I had no doubts that with this team it was never an If but a when. You have been of the believe it when I see it variety. Glad you finally see it.

drunkernhelldawg
01-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Glad you made the game, Liverpool. What a great episode of "Basketball, Mississippi State style," it was.

Interesting that the CBS guys said the game would be played in the "Sold out Humphrey Coliseum," I didn't believe it when I heard it, and I see from this thread that it wasn't true. Still, Howland is getting the excitement built up. We're back.

JoseBrown
01-15-2017, 03:05 PM
I had no idea what his offensive stats were nor did I really care. It was his defense that made this his best game. That's always been the real beef with him. No complaints today.

I understand that. He is doing a much better job, I think, with his overall game this year. I think he had 3 or 4 steals too yesterday. Especially coming off the bench, he's playing his role very well. I have to admit though, watching him guard those 6'9" guards was just funny looking....

BiscuitEater
01-15-2017, 03:12 PM
If they never use them or allow anyone else to use them, YES.

errrr NO!! Someone that is giving thousands to the school should not be punished BUT i just can't for the life of me understand 'why' we don't have a system that allows ticket holders that can't attend games, an option to 're-sell' tickets or at least get some sort of credit which would allow others to use those prime seats.

Liverpooldawg
01-15-2017, 03:26 PM
errrr NO!! Someone that is giving thousands to the school should not be punished BUT i just can't for the life of me understand 'why' we don't have a system that allows ticket holders that can't attend games, an option to 're-sell' tickets or at least get some sort of credit which would allow others to use those prime seats.

So you allow them to punish the basketball team and the other fans?

Howboutdemdogs
01-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks Liverpool for that info,,,, how close can you get them with the students?

Intramural All-American
01-15-2017, 06:48 PM

We do have a system, but no one ever uses it. The problem is that most of the season ticket holders are older and aren't as technologically advanced enough to navigate the pathways to do it. Also, people are too lazy to do it.

There absolutely needs to be punishment for not using seats that are prime seating. If you don't use the seats, you get moved. If you aren't coming to the games anyway, why does it matter where your seats are?

Liverpooldawg
01-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks Liverpool for that info,,,, how close can you get them with the students?

I think they have to be at least 15 rows up and can't be directly behind the bench.