PDA

View Full Version : If I'm Mullen, I go ahead and take Tucker Day...

HoopsDawg
01-13-2017, 10:08 PM
and Bulovas. We have the scholarships available and they are buddies. Go ahead and take an Army All-American kicker and an Army All-American punter and be set at those positions the next 4 years.

OL: Have to sign 2 out of Jordon Carty, Jordan Rhodes, Obinna Eze and Jordan Tucker
LB: Need Gay as an OLB, and Sanago as an inside guy
DL: either Noah Elliss or LaBryan Ray
WR: 1 of DD Bowie, McMath, or some players we don't know about

That would be 8 additions. And that would leave 1 or 2 spots for a Juco or HS QB and a best available if T-buck can find a worthy HS corner which we could really use as well.

This is the board, imo. There are a few other names being thrown around, but I believe they are backup plans.

msstate7
01-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Is ray possible?

Really Clark?
01-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Is ray possible?

Unlikely but he is going to visit as of right now so you try hard to get him. Bama will absolutely take him though.

civildawg
01-13-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty disappointed in our wide receiver recruiting. We really needed either Guidry or mcmath to bridge the gap.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2017, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty disappointed in our wide receiver recruiting. We really needed either Guidry or mcmath to bridge the gap.

Pitiful job by Gonzo if he can't sign 1 impact WR. We have 2 great QBs, we have a system that allows a WR to put up big numbers, and we can offer immediate playing time. Should be a relatively easy sell.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Pitiful job by Gonzo if he can't sign 1 impact WR. We have 2 great QBs, we have a system that allows a WR to put up big numbers, and we can offer immediate playing time. Should be a relatively easy sell.

Yup and I really like Billy G, but it's a results oriented business and I'm not seeing him win recruiting battles. Perhaps he'll surprise me

HoopsDawg
01-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Yup and I really like Billy G, but it's a results oriented business and I'm not seeing him win recruiting battles. Perhaps he'll surprise me

Yep, we haven't really won a WR battle since 2013 when we signed Fred Ross. Donald Gray was a sign and place guy. We give Hev so much heat and it's justified, but Gonzo isn't doing much either. We have gotten by thanks to Bear and Ross carrying us the past 3-4 years.

msstate7
01-13-2017, 10:34 PM

I wanna see how next year shakes out, but we've been pretty good at wr for last 4 years. Had bear and Fred brown not made bad decisions, this past season could've been really good... hard to blame billy for those 2. Billy has to get couch and Todd ready to go next season

BHildreth3
01-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Gonzo didn't even reel in Ross - that was Les

HaggardDawg
01-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Seems like I remember Tim Brewster AND Keonning being the reason we got Fred Ross

HoopsDawg
01-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Seems like I remember Tim Brewster AND Keonning being the reason we got Fred Ross

It's true and Brewster was responsible for Bear. Thank goodness Todd decided not to play basketball. Hopefully he pans out.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2017, 11:44 PM
It's true and Brewster was responsible for Bear. Thank goodness Todd decided not to play basketball. Hopefully he pans out.

It didn't hurt that he has two cousins who work in the Mississippi State athletic department, including former assistant women's basketball coach Aqua Franklin.

Todd4State
01-14-2017, 02:31 AM
We should always take Army All-Americans if we can get them.

The WR recruiting has been confusing. We really need to land at least one more.

Todd4State
01-14-2017, 02:36 AM
I wanna see how next year shakes out, but we've been pretty good at wr for last 4 years. Had bear and Fred brown not made bad decisions, this past season could've been really good... hard to blame billy for those 2. Billy has to get couch and Todd ready to go next season

He knew that Bear was gone before the end of last years recruiting cycle. All you need is a program to see that we had zero WR's over 6'2". Couch and Todd were good gets but we shouldn't have been scrambling after the spring game last year for WR's. We kind of duct taped things together but that's still poor roster management overall.

And right now we only have one WR committed who may move to TE. Very doubtful that we get McMath and Bowie right now and we dropped Hunt. Hopefully we land McMath. It may turn out well in the end but some pressure on the staff late for sure.

Reason2succeed
01-14-2017, 09:02 AM
What I'm making up in my head is that State doesn't "pay enough" to get the Diva WRs. It doesn't make any sense that we don't flip DD Bowie but from his comments it sounds like he knows that we are a no nonsense program where he would have to go by the books and wait for a chance to go to the NFL to be compensated. That's what I heard when I read between the lines.

Homedawg
01-14-2017, 09:27 AM
What I'm making up in my head is that State doesn't "pay enough" to get the Diva WRs. It doesn't make any sense that we don't flip DD Bowie but from his comments it sounds like he knows that we are a no nonsense program where he would have to go by the books and wait for a chance to go to the NFL to be compensated. That's what I heard when I read between the lines.

DD has been an ole miss guy his entire life. Out of all the crazy stuff that takes place w them, he's not one of em. Some people grow up red and blue and he's one.

msstate7
01-14-2017, 09:34 AM
DD has been an ole miss guy his entire life. Out of all the crazy stuff that takes place w them, he's not one of em. Some people grow up red and blue and he's one.

Think we have a real shot considering he's an OM guy?

maroonmania
01-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Starting to sound like its Sanders or bust at this point which is a rather sad situation. I really hope Todd and Mitchell both turn out to be good ones.

Homedawg
01-14-2017, 09:53 AM

No. Very little.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Weird WR class this year that only highlights why losing AJ Brown was devastating. At LSU, Bama, etc it's not a big deal because they can just grab another one the next year. At MSU, we can't. We HAVE to capitalize when one is near.

This year highlights that. All the good WRS are either hard core LSU fans from Louisiana or a kid that grew up an OM fan.

msstate7
01-14-2017, 10:00 AM
No. Very little.

Couldn't you have lied and let me feel better this morning? Haha

Tripp McNeely
01-14-2017, 10:01 AM
that only highlights why losing AJ Brown was devastating.

We signed 2 4-star outside WRs last year!!

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2017, 10:06 AM
We signed 2 4-star outside WRs last year!!

By complete luck and no one has seen them play.

We are talking about winning recruiting battles for highly recruited kids. Gonzo hasn't shown he can do that

msstate7
01-14-2017, 10:12 AM

We are talking about winning recruiting battles for highly recruited kids. Gonzo hasn't shown he can do that

Couch had 8 rec 113 yards.

Todd was expected to play last year until he got injured

Reason2succeed
01-14-2017, 10:51 AM

Technically it couldn't have been "complete luck". Our coaches had to find these guys and convince them to come here.

And technically you've never seen any recruit play at a college level. It's all projections and speculations.

lamont
01-14-2017, 11:59 AM

we werent very good at WR in 2013. We were in 2014 and 2015. Solid in 2016. 2017 is going to be a step backward