PDA

View Full Version : KY Loses Top Receiver to Grad Transfer

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2017, 09:15 PM
1st Boom Williams leaves early & now Jeff Badet.

Caught 31 passes for 670 yards last year.

Wonder if Mullen will give him a call or if this guy will just transfer to Bama & take Dieter's spot?

Only 6'0" 180 though, so I'm not sure how much he'd help us. Couldn't hurt though

HSVDawg
01-13-2017, 09:55 PM
1st Boom Williams leaves early & now Jeff Badet.

Caught 31 passes for 670 yards last year.

Wonder if Mullen will give him a call or if this guy will just transfer to Bama & take Dieter's spot?

Only 6'0" 180 though, so I'm not sure how much he'd help us. Couldn't hurt though

Their top receiver had just 31 catches? Thats pretty damn terrible. Who was it that said UK might have had the best WR's in the SEC last year?

Leroy Jenkins
01-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Their top receiver had just 31 catches? Thats pretty damn terrible. Who was it that said UK might have had the best WR's in the SEC last year?

Chris Doering

lamont
01-14-2017, 12:07 PM

Kentucky lost their starting QB- Barker- for the season 36 passes in. Changed their offense to a run-heavy offense for their back-up.

HSVDawg
01-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Kentucky lost their starting QB- Barker- for the season 36 passes in. Changed their offense to a run-heavy offense for their back-up.

Point taken. Thats still not very good. We had a run heavy offense as well (threw for only about 300 more yards than UK on the season) and our leading WR in a down year for him had over double that number of receptions and about 50% more yards. The YPC is impressive though for Badet. I'm certainly not saying he sucks or anything, and would be happy to have him if he looked our way. Just wouldn't expect him to step in and be another Ross or Derunnya though.

lamont
01-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Point taken. Thats still not very good. We had a run heavy offense as well (threw for only about 300 more yards than UK on the season) and our leading WR in a down year for him had over double that number of receptions and about 50% more yards. The YPC is impressive though for Badet. I'm certainly not saying he sucks or anything, and would be happy to have him if he looked our way. Just wouldn't expect him to step in and be another Ross or Derunnya though.

We were not run-heavy. We were only 56% run. We threw 100 more passes than Kentucky did. They were extra run-heavy. They were 64.2% run

HSVDawg
01-14-2017, 02:13 PM
We were not run-heavy. We were only 56% run. We threw 100 more passes than Kentucky did. They were extra run-heavy. They were 64.2% run

Semantics. They were more run heavy than we were, but both teams ran a lot more than they threw. We threw 100 more passes which means we had 55-60 more completions to our entire roster of WR's / TE's / RB's. Still doesn't explain a 40+ reception difference between their #1 guy and ours who did NOT have a good year, bc he only got maybe 10-15% of those 60 balls.

Bottom line, Badet is a nice college player but would be a #2 WR on most SEC teams and #3 or #4 on others with a deeper group like A&M or OM. And Doering was completely full of it if he really thought UK's receivers were the best in the league if he is the best one they had.

lamont
01-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Its not semantics- we were 56% run- which is not much above average. Not one SEC throws more passes than runs the ball. So everybody in the conference is 50% or better. We were at 56% right at or above the norm.

Kentucky threw about 25% less passes than we did. They were 2nd in the SEC in run-pass ratio behind Auburn. To put it in perspective- Kentucky ran the ball 101 more times than LSU did this year. We only passed for 300 more yards than Kentucky- but threw 25% more passes. Their WR's made many more big plays than ours did.

HSVDawg
01-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Its not semantics- we were 56% run- which is not much above average. Not one SEC throws more passes than runs the ball. So everybody in the conference is 50% or better. We were at 56% right at or above the norm.

Wrong. OM passed the ball 55% of the time in 2016. South Carolina was right at 50%. Several other SEC teams were at 48-49% passing. We were at 44%. 78th out of 120 teams in passing play %. That is a run heavy team.

Kentucky threw ab out 25% less passes than we did. They were 2nd in the SEC in run-pass ratio behind Auburn. To put it in perspective- Kentucky ran the ball 101 more times than LSU did this year. We only passed for 300 more yards than Kentucky- but threw 25% more passes. Their WR's made many more big plays than ours did.

I already stated that I realize UK was more run heavy than we were. I don't need to see the stats. And I'm sure their receivers (as a group) made more plays than ours did because our WR's sucked this year. That doesn't mean that theirs were good, and their best guy put up about 60% of the production as our best guy despite having about 85-90% of the available opportunities. Just curious, do you think Badet is an elite WR that will be an automatic #1 WR anywhere he chooses to go? If so, how come he's not declaring for the draft?

See above

IMissJack
01-14-2017, 03:25 PM
This reminds me of But my dad is tougher than yours....

lamont
01-14-2017, 05:06 PM
See above

My bad on OM- I looked at their wrong number on rushing attempts obviously.
There are 128 D-1 teams- not 120

However, 13 of 14 SEC teams were 50% run or better. We were barely over the norm.

We were also 59th in the Country in pass attempts out of 128. Thats in the top 50% in pass attemtps- so we really werent that run heavy. When you look at P5 conferences the rate is even better. Only 23 of the top 40 teams in pass attempts were P5

lamont
01-14-2017, 05:17 PM
We threw the 31st most passes in the P5...out of 64 teams

HSVDawg
01-14-2017, 09:17 PM
My bad on OM- I looked at their wrong number on rushing attempts obviously.
There are 128 D-1 teams- not 120

However, 13 of 14 SEC teams were 50% run or better. We were barely over the norm.

We were also 59th in the Country in pass attempts out of 128. Thats in the top 50% in pass attemtps- so we really werent that run heavy. When you look at P5 conferences the rate is even better. Only 23 of the top 40 teams in pass attempts were P5

Man, I really don't care to argue that much about how "run heavy" we are compared to UK or anyone else. I think regardless of whether you are a team that runs 70% of the time or 30% of the time, 31 receptions for your leading receiver means your leading receiver likely isn't a gamechanger. Do you think Badet is a badass we should sell out to land, a decent but not great WR, or a scrub?

lamont
01-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Just to clear one thing up- their leading guy in receptions had 39. I know thats not much either- but was a symptom of their offense.

He would certainly make us better. But he is more of a slot WR than an outside guy- which really does us no good. But he would absolutely improve our talent level at WR

HSVDawg
01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Just to clear one thing up- their leading guy in receptions had 39. I know thats not much either- but was a symptom of their offense.

He would certainly make us better. But he is more of a slot WR than an outside guy- which really does us no good. But he would absolutely improve our talent level at WR

I agree with all that. Based on his size and usage, he seems like another Donald Gray. Could be a HR threat, but a guy that is limited in what he can do in the intermediate passing game over the middle of the field when lined up against bigger CB's.