PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Talks About New Hires

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Some good nuggets here for you "read between the liners"

Basically he fired Sirmon.

Good interview. Comes across as a little arrogant when talking about himself as a QB coach, but if you can back it up...

http://djournal.com/sports/college/mississippi-state/mullen-talks-grantham-hire-coaching-vacancies/

confucius say
01-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the link. Good find.

And he should have said "I'm the best developer of qb in the conference, if not the country, soooo......"

dawgday166
01-12-2017, 11:08 PM
It sorta sounded like that was the case.

Couple of takeaways:

1) Mullen is talking of competing for championships again. He hasn't done that in a while. (Good)
2) Said he and Grantham have same philosophies (Good). Just got my fingers crossed that he'll let Grantham sink or swim and not f*** with him (Bad Dan - go play with your toy .. the offense).

Reason2succeed
01-13-2017, 12:29 AM
It's a sad dog that won't wag it's own tail.

Todd4State
01-13-2017, 12:38 AM
I like the fact that he is at least considering being the QB coach. Interesting comment about considering making T-Buck the DB coach which I would be fine with as well.

Reason2succeed
01-13-2017, 12:54 AM
I like the fact that he is at least considering being the QB coach. Interesting comment about considering making T-Buck the DB coach which I would be fine with as well.

The only thing that bothers me is that TBuck has never coached safeties as far as I can see. I'm sure he understands technique, and their reads but can he teach them and the corners without having a drop off is the question.

Big4Dawg
01-13-2017, 01:07 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that TBuck has never coached safeties as far as I can see. I'm sure he understands technique, and their reads but can he teach them and the corners without having a drop off is the question.
I think he did while at UL

Big4Dawg
01-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Nvm. I was wrong.

Todd4State
01-13-2017, 04:30 AM

I think there might be some benefits though especially given the amount of confusion between our DB's in the past. Does both of them having the same coach help with that?

Dawgsfanalongtime77
01-13-2017, 05:25 AM
Saw where Mullen said in another post that Sirmon was a great person just not a great football mind. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mullen hired the guy. So what does that say?

AROB44
01-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Saw where Mullen said in another post that Sirmon was a great person just not a great football mind. Correct me if I'm wrong but Mullen hired the guy. So what does that say?

That he made a mistake. Some people make mistakes.....I realize there are some on here that have never made any.

GreenheadDawg
01-13-2017, 08:26 AM
That he made a mistake. Some people make mistakes.....I realize there are some on here that have never made any.

Correct. He took a chance and it backfired. It happens. But I think he's made up for it now

Dawgtini
01-13-2017, 08:50 AM
+1

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Where was the comment made? I haven't seen that & doesn't sound like something he would say.

louisvilledawg
01-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Where was the comment made? I haven't seen that & doesn't sound like something I would say.

FIFY

basedog
01-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Where was the comment made? I haven't seen that & doesn't sound like something he would say.

Some just don't like Mullen and will find anything they can negative. Seems when I read something about Mullen some have to find something wrong.

maroonmania
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Basically he fired Sirmon.

Can't be because Bonner said..... I'm really glad that guy is gone.

maroonmania
01-13-2017, 10:05 AM

I don't know if Mullen actually said that but I do know, in any kind of business, there are people that are good "talkers" and give a great interview but when you actually put them out there to do the job it becomes obvious they are not very good at what they do. Rick Ray was certainly that way in that he sounded smooth as silk talking basketball but obviously was not a good head coach. Sirmon always seemed to sound good in an interview but there was no doubt that are defensive players appeared to be somewhat lost at times this season. To me that is why you saw times where it looked like guys were not giving max effort. If you don't play your position confidently knowing your responsibility it does tend to make you think more and play tentative which comes across like you are not going full out.

Technetium
01-13-2017, 11:24 AM

You just made the list...

(Giving you a hand, Ari...)

MetEdDawg
01-13-2017, 11:39 AM
I don't know if Mullen actually said that but I do know, in any kind of business, there are people that are good "talkers" and give a great interview but when you actually put them out there to do the job it becomes obvious they are not very good at what they do. Rick Ray was certainly that way in that he sounded smooth as silk talking basketball but obviously was not a good head coach. Sirmon always seemed to sound good in an interview but there was no doubt that are defensive players appeared to be somewhat lost at times this season. To me that is why you saw times where it looked like guys were not giving max effort. If you don't play your position confidently knowing your responsibility it does tend to make you think more and play tentative which comes across like you are not going full out.

This is a really great post. Executing responsibilities as someone in charge is a whole lot different than talking X's and O's in an interview or laying out a plan on how things will be run. That's why there is value in experience and why many have been adamant about getting someone at the DC position with experience. A guy like Grantham has proven he can get a job done and he's done that in multiple places. That's the kind of guy others in our division have been getting and we have to keep pace with that. Getting unproven guys, especially from smaller schools, is always a crap shoot. With this hire, we should never have a crap shoot again at any position. We've elevated our standards and we should always be able to get someone proven for our coaching positions.

SallyStansbury
01-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Don't worry Dan, nobody is asking you to admit you made a mistake with Sirmon, we just want you to shut up about philosophies and schemes and stay out of the way of our new D coordinator.

Carry on.

dawgday166
01-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Don't worry Dan, nobody is asking you to admit you made a mistake with Sirmon, we just want you to shut up about philosophies and schemes and stay out of the way of our new D coordinator.

Carry on.

Ha! Good one. +1

Seems like someone besides myself may have noticed that Dan ALWAYS says his D coordinator and himself share the same defensive philosophies.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Wow, just wow. Mullen never said that. A poster said that as a joke to Paul Jones bc Paul wrote a fluff piece about Sirmon for the UL people. Paul said that Sirmon had a great football mind. Wow.

SallyStansbury
01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Ha! Good one. +1

Seems like someone besides myself may have noticed that Dan ALWAYS says his D coordinator and himself share the same defensive philosophies.

ha.

What I am excited about is this guy has no obvious "ties" to Mullen. For example, used to be a GA back when and worked with Mullen at Bowling Green, etc..... Diaz the second time around from LA Tech (double his salary and get him out of BFE Louisiana) those kind of folks would "owe" Mullen and he would have an enhanced probability of controlling them. Think of the up and comers, they were kind of green and had to allow Mullen to meddle with talk of philosophies and such. Essentially, Mullen would dial down the risk, scale back the aggression, wait for the opposition to make errors instead of causing them and we get what we got.

This guy is different. He is relatively established and should be trusted to act on his own. Did Cohen do this, did Mullen do this, I don't know and don't care, but I hope Mullen can keep his hands OFF the defense. We will know soon enough.

ILOATHEBears
01-13-2017, 12:27 PM

The only person that has never made a bad hire has never hired anyone

Reason2succeed
01-13-2017, 12:37 PM

I seem to remember a video of practice during fall camp where it looked like Sirmon looked very confident but really laid back. I said to myself right then that either this guy is going to be really good or he doesn't know what he has gotten himself into down in the SEC. Obviously it was the latter.

I think Sirmon thought his NFL pedigree and his great understanding of the scheme was enough. He was not experienced enough to know that the SEC is no joke and there is never a place to relax or take it easy. In a word I think he was overconfident. He will never make that mistake again and thank God he will never make it here.

Grantham knows it is a meet grinder and what he needs to do to get a defense ready for the SEC.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Man you got that right!

maroonmania
01-13-2017, 12:44 PM
I seem to remember a video of practice during fall camp where it looked like Sirmon looked very confident but really laid back. I said to myself right then that either this guy is going to be really good or he doesn't know what he has gotten himself into down in the SEC. Obviously it was the latter.

I think Sirmon thought his NFL pedigree and his great understanding of the scheme was enough. He was not experienced enough to know that the SEC is no joke and there is never a place to relax or take it easy. In a word I think he was overconfident. He will never make that mistake again and thank God he will never make it here.

Grantham knows it is a meet grinder and what he needs to do to get a defense ready for the SEC.

Well a big part of being a football coach is being a teacher. Not everyone that is good at something or fully understands something has the gift to be able to make it understandable to others. Sirmon may have understood what he wanted our defensive players to do but nothing will convince me that our defensive players fully understood what they were supposed to do in various situations.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Well a big part of being a football coach is being a teacher. Not everyone that is good at something or fully understands something has the gift to be able to make it understandable to others. Sirmon may have understood what he wanted our defensive players to do but nothing will convince me that our defensive players fully understood what they were supposed to do in various situations.

This is generally why the greatest players make terrible coaches. The things that most have to work at come to easy to them and they expect everyone to be on that level. I remember hearing a story about Yogi Berra when he was a hitting coach. He would try to explain and teach players what they were doing wrong without understanding that they couldn't do the things he could at the plate. So eventually he would become discouraged with them and say "Aw, just let me show you how to do it". He could do it but couldn't teach it.

MaroonFlounder
01-13-2017, 01:00 PM
FUNDAMENTALS

When I watch video of last season's games, I see poor tackling technique, bad angles, not wrapping up. And don't get me started on effort, or lack thereof.

maroonmania
01-13-2017, 01:13 PM
FUNDAMENTALS

When I watch video of last season's games, I see poor tackling technique, bad angles, not wrapping up. And don't get me started on effort, or lack thereof.

Poor tackling technique is not something specific to MSU, its become pervasive at all levels of football everywhere. Seems the art of "wrapping up" has been lost. Most guys now just seem to want to hit someone hard enough that they hopefully fall over. It was hilarious the other night in the NC game where the Bama DB hit Gallman on 4th and short and started celebrating all the while Gallman was still driving trying to get to the first down marker! Its almost like now that defenders think if they get a good lick on the ball carrier the play is automatically over.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2017, 03:37 PM
It sorta sounded like that was the case.

Couple of takeaways:

1) Mullen is talking of competing for championships again. He hasn't done that in a while. (Good)
2) Said he and Grantham have same philosophies (Good). Just got my fingers crossed that he'll let Grantham sink or swim and not f*** with him (Bad Dan - go play with your toy .. the offense).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Grantham

Grantham was hired by Mullen at the 2017 AFCA convention in Nashville, TN after the two "clicked" over shoes and t-ball

DeputyDawg94
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM

AMEN!!!!