PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Move to LA

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Can you imagine MSU's athletic programs packing up tomorrow & moving to Tuscaloosa?

Would you still support them?

I realize how pro sports works, but I really feel bad for the local San Diego people that have been Chargers fans for 50+ years. This is BY FAR one of the worst parts of pro spors.

Here's a great article this morning in the LA Times about how pathetic the situation is: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

Here is what kind of stuck out to me in the article:

Spanos family worth: $2.1 billion

New stadium was going to cost $1.2 billion

NFL was willing to give the Spanos family $300 million of it's money to help pay for new stadium

The NFL relocation fee is $650 million. Meaning, since Spanos is moving the Chargers, he'll have to pay the NFL $650 million.

Chargers were asking for $550 million from public funds.

So basically, at the end of the day, the Spanos family is willing to pay a $650 million dollar NFL relocation fee instead of the $550 million dollars needed to fill in the gap to pay for a new San Diego stadium.

Terrible situation IMO

Reason2succeed
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm not all that supportive of asking tax payers to pay for these NFL stadiums (except for in the Green Bay case where the fans actually own the team). Can the city give me money to start my own for-profit business too?***

Meanwhile LA goes from having no teams to 2 teams and possibly a third depending on what the Raiders decide.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Can you imagine MSU's athletic programs packing up tomorrow & moving to Tuscaloosa?

Would you still support them?

I realize how pro sports works, but I really feel bad for the local San Diego people that have been Chargers fans for 50+ years. This is BY FAR one of the worst parts of pro spors.

Here's a great article this morning in the LA Times about how pathetic the situation is: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

Here is what kind of stuck out to me in the article:

Spanos family worth: $2.1 billion

New stadium was going to cost $1.2 billion

NFL was willing to give the Spanos family $300 million of it's money to help pay for new stadium

The NFL relocation fee is $650 million. Meaning, since Spanos is moving the Chargers, he'll have to pay the NFL $650 million.

Chargers were asking for $550 million from public funds.

So basically, at the end of the day, the Spanos family is willing to pay a $650 million dollar NFL relocation fee instead of the $550 million dollars needed to fill in the gap to pay for a new San Diego stadium.

Terrible situation IMO

I don't think they were getting the public funds. That's their beef. Whether it's right or not if one place won't do it, another place most likely will.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm not all that supportive of asking tax payers to pay for these NFL stadiums (except for in the Green Bay case where the fans actually own the team). Can the city give me money to start my own for-profit business too?***

Meanwhile LA goes from having no teams to 2 teams and possibly a third depending on what the Raiders decide.
Re the city giving you money to help start a for profit business: it happens all the time. Tax incentives and low interest loans to locate in a town, that sort of thing.

Reason2succeed
01-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Re the city hovering you money to help start a for profit business: it happens all the time. Tax incentives and low interest loans to locate in a town, that sort of thing.

Don't want to talk politics. I get kicked off for that sort of thing. But there's a big difference between tax incentives and low interest loans than the city flat out giving you $550 million for a stadium that you will own and control.

smootness
01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Terrible, terrible move by the Chargers, especially if they re-brand, as they've talked about doing.

Why on earth is anyone in LA going to care about the Chargers?

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Don't want to talk politics. I get kicked off for that sort of thing But there's a big difference between tax incentives and low interest loans than the city flat out giving you $550 million for a stadium that you will own and control.

I don't have a problem "some" public funds being a part of it. How much additional revenue would that stadium bring to a city with Super Bowls, NC games, concerts, etc? I think the public should foot about 20%-30% IMO.

Problem is that the owners want the public for pay about half & IMO that's too much.

Irondawg
01-12-2017, 12:13 PM
They can't rebrand, please no. I love the Lightning Bolts and really hate they are leaving San Diego

civildawg
01-12-2017, 12:24 PM
I don't have a problem "some" public funds being a part of it. How much additional revenue would that stadium bring to a city with Super Bowls, NC games, concerts, etc? I think the public should foot about 20%-30% IMO.

Problem is that the owners want the public for pay about half & IMO that's too much.

I agree with this. It's happening with my team as well (Raiders).

Reason2succeed
01-12-2017, 12:26 PM

I agree and so did the majority of the voting public of San Diego knowing full well the potential consequences of their vote.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Would the Sacramento Kings move to LA in a heartbeat to be the Clippers? Would the Bengals move to NYC to be the Jets? Absolutely they would. Spanos is taking a hit to himself and his image to place his beloved franchise two hours away and play in this stadium. Thirty years from now the Spanos family is going to be very happy he did this. San Diego is only two hours away.

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/a4/da/los-angeles-stadium-111816-hks-ftrjpg_6n66iko1rgom1oqr257c38yw9.jpg?t=2027816360&w=960&quality=70

smootness
01-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Would the Sacramento Kings move to LA in a heartbeat to be the Clippers? Would the Bengals move to NYC to be the Jets? Absolutely they would. Spanos is taking a hit to himself and his image to place his beloved franchise two hours away and play in this stadium. Thirty years from now the Spanos family is going to be very happy he did this. San Diego is only two hours away.

Those situations aren't comparable.

We have seen football teams in LA before, and in fact we've seen multiple football teams in LA before. What was the result? They all eventually moved away. Also, the Clippers toiled in crap for years. Being an afterthought as the second team in LA is not what made them successful.

drunkernhelldawg
01-12-2017, 01:45 PM
I hate that for the fans in San Diego. Bright side is that LA is fairly close, but my guess is still that these angry, loyal fans will drop the team. It might be smart for the NFL to craft rules that prevent so many city changes. If I lived in San Diego, I might be about done with the NFL at this point.

drunkernhelldawg
01-12-2017, 01:48 PM

I agree

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Those situations aren't comparable.

We have seen football teams in LA before, and in fact we've seen multiple football teams in LA before. What was the result? They all eventually moved away. Also, the Clippers toiled in crap for years. Being an afterthought as the second team in LA is not what made them successful.

They are comparable because everyone wants to be in the NYC or LA TV markets. TV contracts/cable contracts now are gigantic compared to what they were in 1980. Clippers got bought for $2 billion dollars because of that TV market. LA Dodgers signed a $6 billion dollar tv contract. The Rams and Chargers are about to make bank when that stadium opens up. Not many if any better markets than Los Angeles even if the Rams sucked in 1980.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 02:03 PM

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/a4/da/los-angeles-stadium-111816-hks-ftrjpg_6n66iko1rgom1oqr257c38yw9.jpg?t=2027816360&w=960&quality=70

I've never felt like the Chargers were similar to Sacramento or Cincinnati in any way.

San Diego is a very legitimate NFL city that just couldn't get a stadium done.

As for your 30 year comment, that could be correct, but it'll take all of at least 20 years to build up an emotionally connected fan base. I believe in order to build an emotionally connected fan base, it takes at least to generations. Kids have to grow up cheering for team & turn into adults. Perhaps the Chargers can expedite that process since they aren't moving too far from Sand Diego, &, while adults will be upset, kids under 15 years old that are currently Chargers fans, will likely remain Charger fans because they don't really understand the situation.

drunkernhelldawg
01-12-2017, 02:07 PM
I've never felt like the Chargers were similar to Sacramento or Cincinnati in any way.

As for your 30 year comment, that could be correct, but it'll take all of at least 20 years to build up an emotionally connected fan base. I believe in order to build an emotionally connected fan base, it takes at least to generations. Kids have to grow up cheering for team & turn into adults. Perhaps the Chargers can expedite that process since they aren't moving too far from Sand Diego, &, while adults will be upset, kids under 15 years old that are currently Chargers fans, will likely remain Charger fans because they don't really understand the situation.

That's why the only team I can truly get my heart around is The Mississippi State Bulldogs. I've stopped even trying to care about pro teams. I can't make it last.

Bothrops
01-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Bad move. LA is the kind of place that only needs one team, despite it's huge size. San Diego losing this team in inexplicable, for a tourist town of 3 million, and lots of money in it.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Bad move. LA is the kind of place that only needs one team, despite it's huge size. San Diego losing this team in inexplicable, for a tourist town of 3 million, and lots of money in it.

Californians are getting taxed out the ass though. Raising taxes was a no go

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Chargers just announced they will play at the 30,000 seat Stubhub center for the next two years.

I actually like this. They were going to draw well anyway, but at least with only 30,000 seats, they have a chance to create a unique, more intimate atmosphere

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Spanos #1 priority and responsibility is to do what's best for his franchise. Moving into that stadium in that market is what's best for his franchise. Yes it sucks for the fans for the next twenty years but you don't make this move for those twenty years. You do it for the 200 years after them. He has a plan to rally the city around him. "Fight for LA". It'll work eventually. People have so much pride for where they live.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 02:18 PM

NFL will add more teams. London, San Diego, St. Louis, Mexico City, Toronto, San Antonio will all be in the running for those new teams.

Bothrops
01-12-2017, 02:32 PM
NFL will add more teams. London, San Diego, St. Louis, Mexico City, Toronto, San Antonio will all be in the running for those new teams.

I can see San Antonio, and St. Louis, and maybe Toronto. San Diego would have to include a new stadium. Mexico City or San Juan may end up with a MLB team. London would be a logistics headache.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 02:40 PM
I can see San Antonio, and St. Louis, and maybe Toronto. San Diego would have to include a new stadium. Mexico City or San Juan may end up with a MLB team. London would be a logistics headache.

London is the next one to get a team. It is happening. The distance from New York to London is shorter than from Seattle to Miami. There's already a huge following in London.

http://cdn.londonandpartners.com/asset/16fd27a19dbbbc93f4f232cb4b81027c.jpg

Bothrops
01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
London is the next one to get a team. It is happening. The distance from New York to London is shorter than from Seattle to Miami. There's already a huge following in London.

http://cdn.londonandpartners.com/asset/16fd27a19dbbbc93f4f232cb4b81027c.jpg

SEA-MIA is actually about 750mi shorter, even so, most other teams aren't as close. It could be done, sure, but the home team would do a hell of a lot of flying!

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
SEA-MIA is actually about 750mi shorter, even so, most other teams aren't as close. It could be done, sure, but the home team would do a hell of a lot of flying!

I think you'd have to have two facilities for the London team and schedule them differently than every other team. One month in USA one month in England etc. When they are in USA they practice/stay at the USA facility/home and play road games. Then when they are in London for a month they practice/stay at their London facility/home. Is it coincidence that 8 different NFL franchises played in London this year? I don't think it is. Every team gets 8 home games and 8 teams traveled to London already this season.

RocketDawg
01-12-2017, 03:26 PM
I guess I don't understand the necessity to build a new stadium. Nothing wrong with the one they have now ... it doesn't have to be a palace.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2017, 03:28 PM
I guess I don't understand the necessity to build a new stadium. Nothing wrong with the one they have now ... it doesn't have to be a palace.

The lack of premium seating has cost them Super Bowls and National Title games.

Wanting a new stadium is rarely about the bathroom being dirty

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Oh they are re-branding and their new logo is getting ripped a new one on Twitter. The responses are pretty damn funny.
https://s30.postimg.org/grj8y72dt/LA_Chargers_New_Logo.jpg

Reason2succeed
01-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I think you'd have to have two facilities for the London team and schedule them differently than every other team. One month in USA one month in England etc. When they are in USA they practice/stay at the USA facility/home and play road games. Then when they are in London for a month they practice/stay at their London facility/home. Is it coincidence that 8 different NFL franchises played in London this year? I don't think it is. Every team gets 8 home games and 8 teams traveled to London already this season.

Germany loves some football too. I'm surprised the NFL shutdown NFL Europe. If I were a billionaire I would probably pursue that again esp with the number of American ex pats and people in other countries that love any and everything connected to America. The only real headache now would be the potential target for terrorists.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Germany loves some football too. I'm surprised the NFL shutdown NFL Europe. If I were a billionaire I would probably pursue that again esp with the number of American ex pats and people in other countries that love any and everything connected to America. The only real headache now would be the potential target for terrorists.

You're on to something. Pair up soccer stadiums with NFL Europe franchises and you don't even have to build new stadiums. I want to own a team please.

TimberBeast
01-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Bye bye NFL.

coachnorm
01-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Dean Spanos wants San Diego to build a new stadium that seats many thousands less than its current one? This means that attending a game meant for the sky box crowd becomes more difficult for the common public even though the public is paying for it. Spanos never worked a day in his life: he is overseeing the fruits of his mentally disabled father who made the family what it is, thus bad decision making is very possible.

Los Angeles is a Raider town and then the Rams. The Chargers aren't even on their radar. Dean Spanos lacks the intellect to understand this. Dean Spanos also lacks the intellect to build what his father, Alex, built.

smootness
01-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Oh they are re-branding and their new logo is getting ripped a new one on Twitter. The responses are pretty damn funny.
https://s30.postimg.org/grj8y72dt/LA_Chargers_New_Logo.jpg

That's not part of a full-on rebrand. They're considering changing the name, colors, everything. The weird thing is, they won't have time to change it before the season, so they may have one year as the LA Chargers and THEN change.

coachnorm
01-12-2017, 09:31 PM

When another team is added to the NFL, it gets equal television revenue sharing therefore the owners surrender money to include the new team. Surrender of capital is not taken lightly without potential monetary return therefore adding a 33rd team is unlikely. London will get a current NFL team because London is filthy rich and is building an NFL stadium at Tottenham for the 2018 - 2019 season. BTW a soccer pitch will roll over the NFL playing surface for soccer games. Expect the Jacksonville Jaguars to make the move.

Cooterpoot
01-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Worst football move since the Sirmon hiring.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
BTW a soccer pitch will roll over the NFL playing surface for soccer games.

Did you mean to say rule?

coachnorm
01-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Did you mean to say rule?

The Tottenham Stadium has something like The Cardinal's stadium in Phoenix. The grass in Arizona rolls over a concrete base then is rolled out to the outside after the game. The grass is on a big cookie tray? The soccer pitch does something similar except it is rolled over the NFL playing surface.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 10:42 PM
The Tottenham Stadium has something like The Cardinal's stadium in Phoenix. The grass in Arizona rolls over a concrete base then is rolled out to the outside after the game. The grass is on a big cookie tray? The soccer pitch does something similar except it is rolled over the NFL playing surface.

Wow I did not know that. That is freaking awesome! The soccer stadiums in England are sweet as hell

IMissJack
01-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Don't the NFL owners have to vote to allow a move to another city? If so, I'm surprised that since the Rams just moved to LA, there was not a guarantee to the Rams that they would not have competition in LA (for at least a certain number of years). It's kind of like a restaurant franchise usually will not allow another franchisee to open within a certain amount of distance from another franchisee...

BB30
01-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Don't the NFL owners have to vote to allow a move to another city? If so, I'm surprised that since the Rams just moved to LA, there was not a guarantee to the Rams that they would not have competition in LA (for at least a certain number of years). It's kind of like a restaurant franchise usually will not allow another franchisee to open within a certain amount of distance from another franchisee...

I agree, sucks for the Rams. I just don't see the glamour in moving to LA. I personally prefer San Diego to LA but that may just be me. LA already has enough professional teams.