PDA

View Full Version : For the IJ Ready haters....

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Here's just a few stats that may change the way you look at Ready:

-The veteran IJ Ready has logged the most minutes on the team with 451 minutes, yet he only has the 7th most shots per minute on the team behind Q, Lamar, Kegler, Holman, Carter and Stapleton. For the only senior on the team, that's a very unselfish team first approach.

-IJ has the second best FT% on the team at 84%.

-IJ has 76 assists and 29 turnovers for a 2.62 assist to turnover ratio.

-Speaking of assists, IJ's 76 assists equates to 5.1 assists per game, which is second best in the SEC behind Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox.

- IJ has 29 steals, which is good for 5th in the SEC and a 1-to-1 steal to turnover ratio.

The little dude is vital to our team's success this year, and I can guarantee you that we would not be 11-4 without him.

missouridawg
01-12-2017, 11:22 AM
He also is playing a vital mentor ship role to Peters.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 11:27 AM
If he would just play better defense. Watch set piece scoring plays against us when he is on the floor. In some games 50% of them start with him losing his man. His man may not be the one that scores, but it starts with his.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2017, 11:31 AM
If he would just play better defense. Watch set piece scoring plays against us when he is on the floor. In some games 50% of them start with him losing his man. His man may not be the one that scores, but it starts with his.

If we're talking bad defense it has to begin with Q. His effort on defense is horrible. We all love Q but his defense has to improve.

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 11:34 AM
He also is playing a vital mentor ship role to Peters.

Yep, what a luxury it is to have a back up senior PG that is top 5 in the SEC in steals and assists.

I love how we can start with two bigs in Herard and Holman, then 5 minutes into the game go small with two point guards in Ready and Peters. It creates match up problems and causes the opposing coach to adjust who he has on the court depending on who we go with, not who he wants on the court.

I like seeing Ready and Peters on the court together because it is teaching Peters how to play with another PG on the court, because next year we will see a lot of that with little Spoon and Peters. We are gonna have the ability to throw so many different combinations of 5 on the court next year, which will keep everybody fresh and keep the opposing D guessing. I'm starting to get excited.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-12-2017, 11:35 AM
-The veteran IJ Ready has logged the most minutes on the team with 451 minutes, yet he only has the 7th most shots per minute on the team behind Q, Lamar, Kegler, Holman, Carter and Stapleton. For the only senior on the team, that's a very unselfish team first approach.

-IJ has the second best FT% on the team at 84%.

-IJ has 76 assists and 29 turnovers for a 2.62 assist to turnover ratio.

-Speaking of assists, IJ's 76 assists equates to 5.1 assists for game, which is second best in the SEC behind Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox.

- IJ has 29 steals, which is good for 5th in the SEC and a 1-to-1 steal to turnover ratio.

FACTS

vs. fake facts

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 11:38 AM
If we're talking bad defense it has to begin with Q. His effort on defense is horrible. We all love Q but his defense has to improve.

100% agree, not to mention Q's 28 assists to 30 turnover ratio. While IJ's size is a liability on D, his 29 steals have created many fast break points and momentum swings.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 11:42 AM

His defense isn't great either.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
FACTS

vs. fake facts
Just watch him.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2017, 11:46 AM
yes but he is a sophomore. You would think Ready as a senior would have that part dialed in.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Yes I can't wait until we add the other "Spoon" to the table. The feast will be on!!

tcdog70
01-12-2017, 11:48 AM

if Q is so terrible why does Ben put Him on the other teams best shooter?

LC Dawg
01-12-2017, 11:49 AM
We would be a worse team without Ready. We will also be better next year because of IJ because he is allowing Howland to bring Peters along slowly. If Peters had more responsibility this year I think it would be extremely tough on him because he is a very emotional player. Ready helps steady Lamar in my opinion.

tcdog70
01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
FACTS

vs. fake facts

It is not fake that IJ cannot play defense. he gets shot over and beat off the dribble every game. I love the fact that He can make Free throws. His assist are up because we have players that can shoot.

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Who else are you gonna put on their best shooter? 5'10" IJ? no. 6'0" Lamar Peters? no. Bean Pole Carter? no. Kegler is too slow. Eli Wright is too inexperienced and not confident enough. Q is the only guy on our team right now with the combination of length and athleticism to cover the opposing teams best shooter. However, as Stapleton gets more and more healthy, and adds minutes, I think you may see him guarding the other teams best when he is on the court.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Who's his other option? Ready & Lamar are smaller. Tyson weighs 165 & Eli minutes are sporadic. Q isn't a good defender I'm sure he would tell you his defense needs to improve.

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 11:56 AM
We would be a worse team without Ready. We will also be better next year because of IJ because he is allowing Howland to bring Peters along slowly. If Peters had more responsibility this year I think it would be extremely tough on him because he is a very emotional player. Ready helps steady Lamar in my opinion.

He's our rock, although he is a little one.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Who else are you gonna put on their best shooter? 5'10" IJ? no. 6'0" Lamar Peters? no. Bean Pole Carter? no. Kegler is too slow. Eli Wright is too inexperienced and not confident enough. Q is the only guy on our team right now with the combination of length and athleticism to cover the opposing teams best shooter. However, as Stapleton gets more and more healthy, and adds minutes, I think you may see him guarding the other teams best when he is on the court.

Yep

Tailgate Superstar
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Not trying to hijack your post but thought I would add something that irritated me the other night. First off, I love Kegler and think he will be a very good player so this is not said to put Kegler down. I love the toughness he brings to the team. This could apply to anyone but I saw Kegler do both of these the other night so I'm using him as an example. Towards the end of the Arkansas game Kegler receives the inbounds pass, Arkansas is looking to foul, He holds the ball til they foul him so he can shoot free throws with IJ calling for the ball wide open 10 feet away. IJ is an 84% free throw shooter, Kegler is 62%. Don't be that guy, pass it to the better shooter.
There were also a couple of 3's he put up late in the game that didn't end up hurting us but do we really want him shooting 3's in that situation. He was probably the 4th best 3 shooter in the game at that time. Again, not trying to bash Kegler but these little things could come back to hurt us in close games. I do think his desire to shoot 3's rather than play down low is probably going to be an issue at some point. Hope I'm wrong though. Anyway, off my soapbox, just trying to point out a few small things that separate good teams from average or bad teams.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2017, 12:15 PM
It is not fake that IJ cannot play defense. he gets shot over and beat off the dribble every game. I love the fact that He can make Free throws. His assist are up because we have players that can shoot.

IJ on Fox this Tuesday, yikes!!

Political Hack
01-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Struck me during the Akransas game how undervalued he is. He's really grown into a very mature, smart player that is a huge need for this team. His leadership and how he runs the floor can't be measured in stats, and that's where he helps us the most.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Not trying to hijack your post but thought I would add something that irritated me the other night. First off, I love Kegler and think he will be a very good player so this is not said to put Kegler down. I love the toughness he brings to the team. This could apply to anyone but I saw Kegler do both of these the other night so I'm using him as an example. Towards the end of the Arkansas game Kegler receives the inbounds pass, Arkansas is looking to foul, He holds the ball til they foul him so he can shoot free throws with IJ calling for the ball wide open 10 feet away. IJ is an 84% free throw shooter, Kegler is 62%. Don't be that guy, pass it to the better shooter.
There were also a couple of 3's he put up late in the game that didn't end up hurting us but do we really want him shooting 3's in that situation. He was probably the 4th best 3 shooter in the game at that time. Again, not trying to bash Kegler but these little things could come back to hurt us in close games. I do think his desire to shoot 3's rather than play down low is probably going to be an issue at some point. Hope I'm wrong though. Anyway, off my soapbox, just trying to point out a few small things that separate good teams from average or bad teams.

Kegler is selfish?! No way

KentuckyDawg13
01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Ready has improved quite a bit from last year. Howland has given him the role of a leader and he is thriving with it. His box outs are actually pretty good.

Nobody has mentioned Ready's injury, any updates? His right knee has been bothersome as he was obviously favoring it during the Ark game and was one of the reasons Howland didn't start him @ LSU.
It seems we have a few guys that are not 100% physically, hope they can get rehab and keep this momentum going.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Maybe that's cause the last time he stuck his hand out to poke the ball out he wanted to cut his wrist off it hurt so bad. He's probably hesitant to try that again anytime soon.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Ready has become a pass first PG this year which has really improved his game and helped the team. Also, I like his new role of coming off the bench b/c I think most will agree Peters is a more talented player and needs to be starting. Ready's size is a liability on the defensive end. Nothing he can do about that. But he's leadership and ball-handling have been valuable. It's good that he and Peters can play together b/c that's how it will be next year except you replace ready with Nick Spoon.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2017, 12:23 PM

For sure and it's easy to forget that as good as Q is, he is still just a sophomore.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Maybe that's cause the last time he stuck his hand out to poke the ball out he wanted to cut his wrist off it hurt so bad. He's probably hesitant to try that again anytime soon.

I'm not asking him to average 5 steals a game. I'm just saying hustle back on d, move your feet, & don't be so easy to beat off the dribble or get a clean shot off a screen.

PMDawg
01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Just watch him.

so somebody can play terrible defense AND be 5th in the SEC in steals?

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm not asking him to average 5 steals a game. I'm just saying hustle back on d, move your feet, & don't be so easy to beat off the dribble or get a clean shot off a screen.

He's just setting up his boy Holman for some easy blocks**

sorrydog
01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
The more Lamar plays, the better IJ will be. IJ is an excellent backup. Our ceiling is low if he is required to start.

As for stats, about 2 weeks ago, there was a 16 second sequence when IJ made 3 steals interspersed with 2 turnovers.
Stats can lie.

Tailgate Superstar
01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Kegler is selfish?! No way

Well, yeah, I guess that's an easier way to say it.

BayouDawg
01-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Well, yeah, I guess that's an easier way to say it.

Keglar has so much potential if he could ever get out of AAU mode. There are flashes where it looks like the switch has flipped for him and the. He reverts back to camping out behind the 3 point line and wanting to launch lazy 3s

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Great point..**^^^^

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Keglar has so much potential if he could ever get out of AAU mode. There are flashes where it looks like the switch has flipped for him and the. He reverts back to camping out behind the 3 point line and wanting to launch lazy 3s

Guess that's what Kegler is challenged to work on the most this year. To get out of the selfish AAU mindset. Carter needs to add weight and strength. Herard needs to improve coordination and basketball I.Q.. every one of them has something they need to work on a little more than the rest of their game.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2017, 02:53 PM

He did have 5 assists against Arkansas. It was 1 of the 1st things Howland brought up.

Political Hack
01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Kegler is starting to play within himself and not force the issue as much as he did early on. I agree with the earlier post about him not giving it up to IJ when we needed free throws at the end of the game, but he has improved a lot quickly. Most of them have.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Easily

DeviousDawg
01-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Easily

When you're Ready's size you have to have cat like quickness to be a good defender, which he doesn't have. Imagine trying to guard a guy that's 5-6 inches taller than you and quicker than you, that's what IJ has to deal with. He will always be a liability guarding the perimeter, but he will get his fair share of steals in transition that lead to easy points. He's not a complete waste as a defender.

As a senior, it must be a humbling experience to admit to yourself that a bunch of freshmen are better shooters than you. He does what he has to do for the team, and that's give the ball to the shooters. He has the SEVENTH most shots per game on our team, that's my favorite stat on him. Defensive liability or not, IJ is averaging over 2 steals per game and over 5 assists per game, that's atleast 15-20 points per game that he accounts for without shooting the ball. Couple that with the fact that he is 85% from the line and you have to keep him on the court.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2017, 04:45 PM
When you're Ready's size you have to have cat like quickness to be a good defender, which he doesn't have. Imagine trying to guard a guy that's 5-6 inches taller than you and quicker than you, that's what IJ has to deal with. He will always be a liability guarding the perimeter, but he will get his fair share of steals in transition that lead to easy points. He's not a complete waste as a defender.

As a senior, it must be a humbling experience to admit to yourself that a bunch of freshmen are better shooters than you. He does what he has to do for the team, and that's give the ball to the shooters. He has the SEVENTH most shots per game on our team, that's my favorite stat on him. Defensive liability or not, IJ is averaging over 2 steals per game and over 5 assists per game, that's atleast 15-20 points per game that he accounts for without shooting the ball. Couple that with the fact that he is 85% from the line and you have to keep him on the court.

Exactly.

Dawg61
01-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Easily

James Harden leads the NBA in assists at 11.8 a game and he is atrocious on defense

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2017, 05:20 PM
You know assists are on offense right?

PMDawg
01-12-2017, 05:45 PM
You know assists are on offense right?

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

PMDawg
01-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Exactly.

So you changed your mind?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Just watch him.

no. you're fake facts.

archdog
01-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Can he play WR? I always thought Jamont Gordon would have been an awesome slot guy.

whosyourdawgy
01-12-2017, 07:19 PM

The only game Q really struggled badly on thus far this season was vs Bama. He was getting blown by and just not giving much effort it appeared. Come to find out later the next day that he has been struggling w tendonitis in a knee which would have to affect his ability to slide his feet. He played much better vs LSU and UPig on D.

archdog
01-12-2017, 10:05 PM
No to mention Q had tweaked his wrist on a loose ball play early in the 2nd half. He kept grabbing it so I know that dude was bothered by it.

Liverpooldawg
01-13-2017, 01:03 AM
no. you're fake facts.

Just watch him.

PMDawg
01-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Just watch him.

Ahem.......

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Ahem.......

Look at my post about the game from earlier. Today was his best game as a Dawg. He played DEFENSE today. I hope he keeps it up. If he does it's a dang shame he had to be coached by Ray his first two years. He was good today.

was21
01-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Name should have been IB Ready and would get some slack

RougeDawg
01-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Anyone catch the post game interview last week at LSU? Thought I heard Howland call him "EJ" initially and then IJ later in the piece.