PDA

View Full Version : Finding a New DC

Bodaski
01-10-2017, 12:15 PM
If you were a possible candidate for DC under Mullen would you have serious reservations about accepting the position if it were offered to you? I would want to talk to previous DC's that served under Mullen and try to find out why so much turnover. I believe if I'm Cohen I would meet with Mullen and try to find out why there is so much turnover at that position? There is something going on. I've never seen such a turnover at any school concerning a huge position as DC. It's got to be DM, he's the one common denominator.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Sirmon got a job
Collins got a job
Diaz got a job twice

I'd say if you want to coach here a couple years, you'll find a job. CO is probably on par with us (way better location). The others are better. Sirmon was a clown and he still got a good job.
I'd think you'd have people interested. But if we won't pay for a proven guy, you're going to still be reaching. We don't pay well and the job isn't easy. Better fix that pay thing if you want to fix the other one.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes but why the 17 does that matter and how does it help us solidify relationships as far as recruiting goes? I don't give a rats ass if Mullen has a keen eye for picking out the up and comers. If they don't stay here and help us why do we care? We need to call Todd Grantham and offer that SOB 2 million and be done with it.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Yes but why the 17 does that matter and how does it help us solidify relationships as far as recruiting goes? I don't give a rats ass if Mullen has a keen eye for picking out the up and comers. If they don't stay here and help us why do we care? We need to call Todd Grantham and offer that SOB 2 million and be done with it.

Hev and Gozo agree with you.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:33 PM
We pay more attention to MSU hiring & firings but everybody in the West replaces a DC or OC every other year. We're in a bad cycle but we're not alone.

Bert has had 3 DC in 5yrs at Arkansas
Saban has had 5 OC in 11yrs at Bama
Gus has had 3 DC in 4yr at Auburn
Sumlin has had 3 OC in 6yrs at A&M
Miles had 4 OC & 5 DC in his 12yrs at LSU

We need more stability at the position I agree but if you get more than 2 or 3 years out of guy you've exceeded the norm.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:36 PM
My hope is that the Sirmon experiment has given Mullen a new perspective on the value of a quality D.C. After hitting on Collins and Manny, Mullen may have gotten cocky and or seen the position as plug and play

AROB44
01-10-2017, 12:41 PM
We pay more attention to MSU hiring & firings but everybody in the West replaces a DC or OC every other year. We're in a bad cycle but we're not alone.

We need more stability at the position I agree but if you get more than 2 or 3 years out of guy you've exceeded the norm.

Surely you know better than to junk up this board with facts......ruins the whole concept of bitching...

bulldogsmsu
01-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Is this a done deal now? What is the confidence % that he is gone? Don't get me wrong I am happy that he is moving on and hope this happens.

fader2103
01-10-2017, 12:56 PM
What about David Dugan W. Michigan and also USM D Coor. Tony Pecacora (Sp)

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:01 PM

And to add to that, I don't want stability if the guy sucks at his job.

Sacrifice
01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
How are we looking with our DC salary? I haven't looked in a while. Are we on par with the other mid tier SEC Schools?

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
My hope is that the Sirmon experiment has given Mullen a new perspective on the value of a quality D.C. After hitting on Collins and Manny, Mullen may have gotten cocky and or seen the position as plug and play

Mullen seems pretty slow to gain a new perspective on anything. Mullen gonna do what Mullen gonna do. Sometimes it works out and sometime it doesn't.

Joe Schmedlap
01-10-2017, 01:06 PM
How are we looking with our DC salary? I haven't looked in a while. Are we on par with the other mid tier SEC Schools?

Um, no. We are not. Then again, we shouldn't pay assclowns high salaries. I wish we would get serious, find an established, effective DC at pay what it takes to sign him. I would think 850 thousand to a million dollars would entice one to sign on.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Um, no. We are not.

That's because Mullen keeps hiring guys that are unproven that he doesn't have to pay more than 500-600K. We overpay assistants like Hevesy. Bottom line, if we don't have enough money in the assistants budget to at least pay a DC 800K or better in today's world with the SEC money that's streaming in then we don't belong in the SEC to start with.

KB21
01-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Now, why did you have to go and mess up people's confirmation bias with facts?

smootness
01-10-2017, 01:36 PM
If you were a possible candidate for DC under Mullen would you have serious reservations about accepting the position if it were offered to you? I would want to talk to previous DC's that served under Mullen and try to find out why so much turnover. I believe if I'm Cohen I would meet with Mullen and try to find out why there is so much turnover at that position? There is something going on. I've never seen such a turnover at any school concerning a huge position as DC. It's got to be DM, he's the one common denominator.

Why would you have reservations? Collins became the DC at Florida. Diaz became the DC at Texas, then even after failing, rehabilitated his image enough in one year back at State to become the DC at Miami. If anything, I'd be eager to take the job.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
I called for it before a rumor was started..ha

basedog
01-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Surely you know better than to junk up this board with facts......ruins the whole concept of bitching...

+1