PDA

View Full Version : If Were The Cleveland Browns.....

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
I've got the 1st and #12 overall picks

- Fire head coach

- Hire Scott Linahan as HC

- Draft Watson #1

- Draft Fournette or Cook at 12. If neither is there, go OL

- OJ Howard at pick 33

Cowboys 2.0

Dawg61
01-10-2017, 12:15 PM
They have a chance to add Myles Garrett and Jabrill Peppers with those first two picks. I bet they pass on QB with their top two picks and try for one later on in the draft.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:17 PM
They have a chance to add Myles Garrett and Jabrill Peppers with those first two picks. I bet they pass on QB with their top two picks and try for one later on in the draft.

Maybe. Could depend on what they think of Kessler

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:17 PM

- Fire head coach

- Draft Watson #1

- OJ Howard at pick 33

Cowboys 2.0

Is Linehan bringing the Cowboys OL with him? If not they won't be anything close to Cowboys 2.0.

Reason2succeed
01-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Why would you draft Watson when you basically have the same guy in RG3? Cowboys 2.0 means you beef up the OL. I would prioritize that and the DL.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Just curious, I realize Garrett is a freak, but is anyone concerned that he never seemed to truly disrupt offenses even with a Hall on the opposite side?

I remember Clowney being electric on the field. Garrett is a freak but I've never feared him.

shoeless joe
Is Linehan bringing the Cowboys OL with him? If not they won't be anything close to Cowboys 2.0.

Exactly. Gotta get the big uglies to do what Dallas has done.

Lotta credibility lost by OP.

WSOPdawg
What's so crazy is how a franchise can be so inept for so long, and how/why the fans keep showing up and supporting such a piss-poor product. Not since the Brian Sipe / Bernie Kosar days have the Browns put a respectable product on the field.

Kinda like the Detroit Lions when Matt Millen was their GM and they kept drafting WR's in the 1st round for like 5 or 6 years straight. Now, whenever Millen is commentating, I have to mute it just because he has absolutely ZERO credibility with me. I would say sans the just-completed season, the Lions join the Browns as the two most inept NFL franchises around.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Already has Joe Thomas. The Cowboys OL went 4-12 last year without Dak and Zek. Chicken or the Egg?

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Why would you draft Watson when you basically have the same guy in RG3? Cowboys 2.0 means you beef up the OL. I would prioritize that and the DL.

I don't see Watson and RG3 as remotely similar QBs other than both being black

Dawg61
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Just curious, I realize Garrett is a freak, but is anyone concerned that he never seemed to truly disrupt offenses even with a Hall on the opposite side?

I remember Clowney being electric on the field. Garrett is a freak but I've never feared him.

You haven't watched Garrett enough then. He is awesome. I think Clowney's success this year locks Garrett into the top spot. It's just a much safer pick with #1 than Watson plus if they double up on defense at #12 they can really improve on that side of the ball immediately with the entire rest of their draft still left.

Political Hack
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
And you would still be the Cleveland Browns next year.

#1 Best OL/DL in the draft
#12 Best OL/DL in the draft

Romo in FA. I see Watson being similar to Wayne Mad-skills at the NFL level. He'll occasionally remind everyone why he's so highly thought of, but he won't be a consistent guy IMO.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:30 PM
And you would still be the Cleveland Browns next year.

#1 Best OL/DL in the draft
#12 Best OL/DL in the draft

Romo in FA. I see Watson being similar to Wayne Mad-skills at the NFL level. He'll occasionally remind everyone why he's so highly thought of, but he won't be a consistent guy IMO.

Romo ain't going to Cleveland.

Watson = Wayne Madkin?

TimberBeast
01-10-2017, 12:31 PM
I don't see Watson and RG3 as remotely similar QBs other than both being black

Hell the way they look is about the least similar thing about them. They are exactly the same QB, and neither will do anything in the NFL.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Already has Joe Thomas. The Cowboys OL went 4-12 last year without Dak and Zek. Chicken or the Egg?

1 piece or 5 pieces? 1 elite OL doesn't make a difference. 3 elite OL along with 2 very good OL does. The Cowboys stunk so bad because they couldn't get production from the most important position on the field QB. The running game was fine last year. McFadden ran for almost 1100yds. The QB is the most important position in the NFL but if you can't protect him he's useless.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Hell the way they look is about the least similar thing about them. They are exactly the same QB, and neither will do anything in the NFL.

Disagree. I see Watson as a future pocket guy that's bigger than RG3. Also a significantly more poised player that's shown the ability to effectively operate within a offensive structure.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Let's not act like RG3 wasn't the talk of the NFL until he tore his ACL & then tried to rush back too fast & got hurt again. If he stays healthy then Shanahan doesn't get fired & replaced by Gruden who couldn't stand RG3. A lot of what ifs but being injured is what affected RG3 career.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Apparently me and the Browns front office are the only ones that don't know how to fix the Browns

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:41 PM
When you have as many holes as Cleveland does you don't reach for a QB at #1 if he's not the best player. You have holes at every level on both sides. You take the best player available at #1 & 12. Then at #33 & #50. They have 4 picks in the top 50. They have to hit on all 4. You do that by drafting the best player not reaching because of need. There are needs all across the roster.

Political Hack
01-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Romo ain't going to Cleveland.

Watson = Wayne Madkin?

Watson in the NFL will look like Wayne did in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:42 PM
When you have as many holes as Cleveland does you don't reach for a QB at #1 if he's not the best player. You have holes at every level on both sides. You take the best player available at #1 & 12. Then at #33 & #50. They have 4 picks in the top 50. They have to hit on all 4. You do that by drafting the best player not reaching because of need. There are needs all across the roster.

Fair argument.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Fair argument.

I do agree with you that they do need a franchise QB because you won't win big in the NFL without 1. The problem is if you reach for a QB early & you don't hit you've set your franchise back another 3-5yrs.

LC Dawg
01-10-2017, 12:48 PM
What's so crazy is how a franchise can be so inept for so long, and how/why the fans keep showing up and supporting such a piss-poor product. Not since the Brian Sipe / Bernie Kosar days have the Browns put a respectable product on the field.

Kinda like the Detroit Lions when Matt Millen was their GM and they kept drafting WR's in the 1st round for like 5 or 6 years straight. Now, whenever Millen is commentating, I have to mute it just because he has absolutely ZERO credibility with me. I would say sans the just-completed season, the Lions join the Browns as the two most inept NFL franchises around.

I was a Saints fan during John Mecom's ownership. It doesn't get any worse than that and I still went to games. It's football. And when I got of age it was football and beer which made the games a little more bearable.

Quaoarsking
01-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Watson should still be available at 12 and probably at 33 unless somebody reaches, at least according to the mock drafts I've seen.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Watson should still be available at 12 and probably at 33 unless somebody reaches, at least according to the mock drafts I've seen.

You have a better chance of going 33 than Watson.

Watson ain't getting out of top 5 due to teams trading up

dawgday166
01-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Nothin good happens if OL can't block guys up front and LBs. Isn't that usually our downfall offensively? Hev spurs more 15 page threads than any other coach we got.

In the NFL ... No OL equates to paying ~20mil/year to have your QB on IR a lot.

Dawg61
01-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Apparently me and the Browns front office are the only ones that don't know how to fix the Browns

What'd you expect when you started a thread on who the Browns should draft? Not very interesting or entertaining if everyone just says. "You're right Shotgun, Watson should and will be the #1 pick".

TimberBeast
01-10-2017, 12:59 PM
1 piece or 5 pieces? 1 elite OL doesn't make a difference. 3 elite OL along with 2 very good OL does. The Cowboys stunk so bad because they couldn't get production from the most important position on the field QB. The running game was fine last year. McFadden ran for almost 1100yds. The QB is the most important position in the NFL but if you can't protect him he's useless.

Exactly, the difference in the Cowboys right now is that Dak is a winner, and Romo is a loser. Dak will do things to help them win games, Romo has always done things to help them lose.

Dawg61
01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
You have a better chance of going 33 than Watson.

Watson ain't getting out of top 5 due to teams trading up

mock draft I am looking at has Watson in the 2nd round as pick 44 to the Bills

dawgday166
01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Exactly, the difference in the Cowboys right now is that Dak is a winner, and Romo is a loser. Dak will do things to help them win games, Romo has always done things to help them lose.

I'm not sure I'd go quite this far. I'm not a Romo fan cause he doesn't ever win in the playoffs. He's ok in regular season usually. It is yet to be seen how Dak will do in the playoffs. I think he'll be fine long term (much better than Romo). This year ... I'm just not real sure yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Watson will go top 15. Could go as high as top 5 because he's going to kill it in interviews. A good Pro Day & he'll go top 5 esp with 3 teams in the top 5 needing a QB.

parabrave
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
1. Jonathon Allen then the best Olineman on he Board. Remember 1st rounders are expected to play not to sit on the bench and develop. I would take RE Foster if he were available at 12 though.

msstate7
01-10-2017, 01:37 PM
1. Jonathon Allen then the best Olineman on he Board. Remember 1st rounders are expected to play not to sit on the bench and develop. I would take RE Foster if he were available at 12 though.

Foster won't make it by saints at 11

Ari Gold
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM
If the Browns take ANY QB with the overall number 1 pick, the GM and the coach whoever he is should be fired on the spot. If they are smart they trade the #1 pick for another first rounder and a second rounder.

If Each team picking in the top 10 owned the #1 you would get 6-7 different players they would take . Has a chance to be the most chaotic first round NFL draft in a long time.. Deals being made left and right.

smootness
01-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Exactly. Why would you take him at 1 if you can get him later? He's consistently ranked around 3-5 among the QBs in this draft. He's not going too 5 unless things change in a big way.

Johnson85
01-10-2017, 01:52 PM

This is even more of a reason to wait on a QB til the later rounds. If you have a bunch of holes but hit on a QB (other than a Peyton Manning type), at best, you've just moved to mediocre and put yourself into a worse draft position without getting closer to winning anything. If you start filling holes but QB keeps you from improving, you stockpile an extra draft of talent and hopefully make a significant jump when you finally do go for a big time qb (or hit on a qb at a later draft pick).

drunkernhelldawg
01-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Because you need a back up and Watson is several years behind RG3. You can't be just adequate at qb. You've got to be elite, if you want to win.

Bubb Rubb
01-10-2017, 02:23 PM

- Fire head coach

- Draft Watson #1

- OJ Howard at pick 33

Cowboys 2.0

Sounds like a good script for a movie. I'll call it Draft Day and get Kevin Costner to play the Browns' general manager.

I seen it dawg
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a good script for a movie. I'll call it Draft Day and get Kevin Costner to play the Browns' general manager.

Great movie.

drunkernhelldawg
01-10-2017, 03:00 PM
This is even more of a reason to wait on a QB til the later rounds. If you have a bunch of holes but hit on a QB (other than a Peyton Manning type), at best, you've just moved to mediocre and put yourself into a worse draft position without getting closer to winning anything. If you start filling holes but QB keeps you from improving, you stockpile an extra draft of talent and hopefully make a significant jump when you finally do go for a big time qb (or hit on a qb at a later draft pick).

I recall how crazy people said the Falcons were for putting so much into getting Julio Jones. They seem to be among the top teams today. Point is that having top players at skill positions is required to win in the NFL No skill position matter more than QB. None is harder to find. That's why I think that the Browns do need to draft Watson. It's true that he may not be a good NFL qb, but right now it looks like he will be a great one. I didn't put any maybe on Julio Jones, btw. That other planet talent is not some everyday thing. It's a treasure.

parabrave
01-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Foster won't make it by saints at 11
Remember you are talking about sean payton and Micky Loomis. They draft the best talent available not their most needed.

msstate7
01-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Remember you are talking about sean payton and Micky Loomis. They draft the best talent available not their most needed.
Probably take Mike Williams haha

HereComesTheSpiral
01-10-2017, 03:14 PM
You haven't watched Garrett enough then. He is awesome. I think Clowney's success this year locks Garrett into the top spot. It's just a much safer pick with #1 than Watson plus if they double up on defense at #12 they can really improve on that side of the ball immediately with the entire rest of their draft still left.

Don't understand the Myles Garrett love at number 1 with Barnett and Allen in this draft.

parabrave
01-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Probably take Mike Williams haha

I wouldn't put it past them. Even though I would take Stringfellow in the 3rd if available.