PDA

View Full Version : Great game last night but goodness...

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 10:10 AM
the game was a marathon of well over 4 hours! I'm wondering, should college revisit stopping the clock after every first down? At least maybe until the last 5 minutes of each half or something. These games are just getting longer and longer and longer.

SaintDawg
01-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Agreed. Great game but length was ridiculous. I kept looking at the time saying damn, I've got to go to bed.

WSOPdawg
01-10-2017, 10:14 AM
4th quarter basically saw every play visited by replay officials, which probably added 15 minutes to the game. I think if it's close and snap has been made, there's no stopping for review. This happened several times.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 10:18 AM
4th quarter basically saw every play visited by replay officials, which probably added 15 minutes to the game. I think if it's close and snap has been made, there's no stopping for review. This happened several times.

I personally don't have a problem with making sure significant plays are called correctly. So the reviews don't bother me. I guess I'm thinking of the pros where they do not stop the clock for first downs and their halftime seems to only be maybe a little over half the length of a college halftime. College seems to take forever to get the second half started. Now they do get the 2:00 warning but that wanes in comparison to the 2 other factors in college.

MafiaDawg
01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
The length of games is becoming a big problem. It's a detriment to attendance and I personally have no interest in sitting in a stadium for 4+ hours in September heat. They have to get it to 3 hours. Halftime really last over 30 mins even though the clock says 20. Gotta get it to a hard 12-14 like the NFL.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
I personally don't have a problem with making sure significant plays are called correctly. So the reviews don't bother me. I guess I'm thinking of the pros where they do not stop the clock for first downs and their halftime seems to only be maybe a little over half the length of a college halftime. College seems to take forever to get the second half started. Now they do get the 2:00 warning but that wanes in comparison to the 2 other factors in college.

I would have no problem whatsoever if they cut halftime from 20 minutes down to 12, but if they quit stopping the clock on first downs that just means less plays. I'm a fan of more plays and more action. The game took forever b/c we had a commercial break on almost every change of possession. They took a 2 minute commercial break on the Bo Scarbrough injury even though he was walking off the field as they cut to commercial.

AusTexDawg
01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Definitely need to not stop the clock after first downs unless the chainsmen actually need that time to get downfield after a long play. As far as replay, since so much of this board complains often about getting the shaft on bad calls, I'm all for getting calls right even if it takes a little time.

TimberBeast
01-10-2017, 10:28 AM
I have an idea, how about not having the game on a damn Monday night? Put it on Saturday night like the rest of the college football season.

archdog
01-10-2017, 10:38 AM
I have an idea, how about not having the game on a damn Monday night? Put it on Saturday night like the rest of the college football season.

Boom. This all day.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
I'd cut half time from 20 min + to exactly 15 min like the NFL. That's 5 min right there.

I'd also keep the clock running on first down till your under 2 min in each half.

Those changes right there probably cut every game by 10-15 min on average

Irondawg
01-10-2017, 10:49 AM
It's the commercials. I'd be curious how much time we were watching commercials vs actual game time

trob115
01-10-2017, 10:55 AM
College should just go to the NFL replay system.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 10:57 AM
I'd cut half time from 20 min + to exactly 15 min like the NFL. That's 5 min right there.

I'd also keep the clock running on first down till your under 2 min in each half.

Those changes right there probably cut every game by 10-15 min on average

Why would you want fewer plays? FYI: NFL halftimes are 12 minutes.

It's the mandatory TV timeouts. They are ridiculous. Also, I have to think the review process could be more efficient.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Why would you want fewer plays? FYI: NFL halftimes are 12 minutes.

It's the mandatory TV timeouts. They are ridiculous. Also, I have to think the review process could be more efficient.

Then cut the half-time to 12 minutes.

I love NFL half-time. Just enough to time to take a dump, heat up some pizza, & settle back in.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
It's commercials and dead time such as replay. I guess I don't really pay that much attention to the NFL's review process, but don't they typically have to challenge until the two minute warning?

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 11:10 AM
It's commercials and dead time such as replay. I guess I don't really pay that much attention to the NFL's review process, but don't they typically have to challenge until the two minute warning?

The clock seems to never stop in the NFL + it's a commercial and flag fest. The NFL product is actually not that good.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Cut halftime 5 minutes

Don't stop click on out of bounds until last 4 minutes of halves

HereComesTheSpiral
01-10-2017, 11:22 AM
The clock seems to never stop in the NFL + it's a commercial and flag fest. The NFL product is actually not that good.

I don't disagree with you about the product being bad, but it does seem like they stay in their time blocks better than college.

MafiaDawg
01-10-2017, 11:41 AM
You can cut the halftime clock all you want but you better put the ball on the tee and start handing out delay of game penalties. The halftimes now are "20 mins" but I timed it one game this year from buzzer to kick and it was 33 mins.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 11:55 AM
You can cut the halftime clock all you want but you better put the ball on the tee and start handing out delay of game penalties. The halftimes now are "20 mins" but I timed it one game this year from buzzer to kick and it was 33 mins.

A strictly enforced 12 minute halftime would be great. And to the other poster, yes the NFL is able to keep every game in the 3 to 3:15 minute range b/c of the clock rules.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 12:34 PM
A strictly enforced 12 minute halftime would be great. And to the other poster, yes the NFL is able to keep every game in the 3 to 3:15 minute range b/c of the clock rules.

Yep. Clock rules is what needs changing.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
I would have no problem whatsoever if they cut halftime from 20 minutes down to 12, but if they quit stopping the clock on first downs that just means less plays. I'm a fan of more plays and more action. The game took forever b/c we had a commercial break on almost every change of possession. They took a 2 minute commercial break on the Bo Scarbrough injury even though he was walking off the field as they cut to commercial.

Well by definition if there are more opportunities where the clock continues to run there will be less actual game time and by correlation less plays but how many plays do you need? Clemson ran 99 freakin' plays last night. Cutting back halftime is a good idea but, unlike pros, you have bands wanting to put on halftime shows in college so I'm not totally sure how consistently you could significantly cut back halftime in every game. I would certainly take a few less plays if it would shorten the game by 15-20 minutes.

AusTexDawg
01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
FWIW, the hit on Watson where he was spun around in the air may have made it worth watching for me. Nothing personal, since he seems like a solid kid. I have missed hard-hitting games most of this season.

Political Hack
01-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I thought someone was going to finally call Clemson out for running pick plays all night.

dawgday166
01-10-2017, 12:56 PM
They need to figure something out that's for sure. Dammit man, some folks gotta work the next day. I'm just glad I don't live on the East Coast.

parabrave
01-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Well since most teams pass the ball now you have 2 major factors in the extended game time. Incomplete passes and the need for the ref to throw a goshdarn flag everytime a defender breathes on a receiver.

RocketDawg
01-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Pretty sure halftime was longer than normal too.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Guess I'm still not seeing the problem with letting the clock run after a first down like it does in the pros. Nobody is concerned about it for NFL games, why is it an issue to let it run in college games? That is the most straightforward change I can think of to shorten the game a tad.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Running clock on first downs until the final 2-5 minutes of each half (obviously, they would have to pick).

Quit running commercials after every change in possession or cut the length of time on commercials.

Halftime is fine the way it is, but last night's half time did appear to be closer to 25 minutes.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Guess I'm still not seeing the problem with letting the clock run after a first down like it does in the pros. Nobody is concerned about it for NFL games, why is it an issue to let it run in college games? That is the most straightforward change I can think of to shorten the game a tad.

NFL ratings are way down. We can agree to disagree, but I just think there are numerous ways to shorten games without reducing plays.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:53 PM
NFL ratings are way down. We can agree to disagree, but I just think there are numerous ways to shorten games without reducing plays.
NFL ratings are way down because of the political nature this year.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 02:02 PM
NFL ratings are way down because of the political nature this year.

LOL, ok.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 02:07 PM
LOL, ok.

You care to explain, or do you just want to look like an ass?

I offered up a potential reason. You have offered up absolutely nothing.

You don't think people who are sick of being bombarded with politics, then go to turn on an NFL game just to get bombarded with Kaepernick stories, etc turn off those games???

PassInterference
01-10-2017, 02:10 PM
The length of games is becoming a big problem. It's a detriment to attendance and I personally have no interest in sitting in a stadium for 4+ hours in September heat. They have to get it to 3 hours. Halftime really last over 30 mins even though the clock says 20. Gotta get it to a hard 12-14 like the NFL.

This all day. College halftime is way too long. Surprised nothing is being done about that.

Last night was probably worse because it was the championship game. While we're pointing to the NFL for good halftimes, realize the Super Bowl halftime is also going to be long.

But I really like the NFL halftime being not much over 10 minutes. Go pee, check on a couple things around the house, grab another beer, and boom....2nd half kickoff.

College could do that. 10 minutes is plenty to let the home team's band play. Just cut out the visiting team's band. Visitors are rarely bringing a full band anymore. And cut out the insane amount of halftime recognition stuff that goes on.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 02:12 PM
You care to explain, or do you just want to look like an ass?

I offered up a potential reason. You have offered up absolutely nothing.

You don't think people who are sick of being bombarded with politics, then go to turn on an NFL game just to get bombarded with Kaepernick stories, etc turn off those games???

You stated it like it was a fact. There could be a number of reasons why ratings are down such as the multitude of TV options, bad games in primetime, the presidential debates, concussion issues, but my opinion is there is no flow to the game. Red Zone channel from 12:00 to 3:00 is awesome. But sit down and watch one game, like say the Texans vs Raiders and tell me that's a good product b/c I simply don't think it is. It's at a point now where the commissioner is thinking about having less commercial breaks to improve the flow of the game. I see games every Sunday where you get 3 commercial breaks and 2 plays from scrimmage. That's not entertainment. Fantasy sports and gambling drive the NFL.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 02:15 PM
You stated it like it was a fact. There could be a number of reasons why ratings are down such as the multitude of TV options, bad games in primetime, the presidential debates, concussion issues, but my opinion is there is no flow to the game. Red Zone channel from 12:00 to 3:00 is awesome. But sit down and watch one game, like say the Texans vs Raiders and tell me that's a good product b/c I simply don't think it is. It's at a point now where the commissioner is thinking about having less commercial breaks to improve the flow of the game. I see games every Sunday where you get 3 commercial breaks and 2 plays from scrimmage. That's not entertainment. Fantasy sports and gambling drive the NFL.

See isn't that much better than posting: "LOL, ok."

Do me and others a favor. Post more like this and less like the former.

Yes, it is likely due to more reasons than one, and you named some realistic ones. I just think it was a tipping point with politics and social movements this year.

Maroonthirteen
01-10-2017, 02:27 PM
I agree with others. There are too many commercials. I don't notice the commercials as much at home because I can get up and go to the kitchen, etc. But when you are in the stands.....dayum it is obvious how much dead time there is waiting for TV.

Digitally put ads on the field, put ads on the stadium for the fans at the game.....something other than slowing the game down by having commercials after every change of possession, injury etc etc. There is just too much stoppage in play because of TV.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
I agree with others. There are too many commercials. I don't notice the commercials as much at home because I can get up and go to the kitchen, etc. But when you are in the stands.....dayum it is obvious how much dead time there is waiting for TV.

Digitally put ads on the field, put ads on the stadium for the fans at the game.....something other than slowing the game down by having commercials after every change of possession, injury etc etc. There is just too much stoppage in play because of TV.

CBS has to be the worst channel to watch a college game on. They routinely drag games past 3.5 hours.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 02:34 PM

I haven't looked but someone said the ratings for last night were way down. At any rate, I don't think there is any direct correlation to number of plays.

Dawgology
01-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Don't stop clock after incomplete passes until last two minutes. Don't stop clock on out of bounds plays until last two minutes. 12 minute halftime. That'd do it.

I watched the entirety of Sherlock Season 4: Episode 2 between the beginning of the 2nd quarter and halfway through the 3rd quarter. That's 1 hr 40 minute show over 23 minutes of actual play. Thats just silly.

Dawgology
01-10-2017, 05:12 PM
I haven't looked but someone said the ratings for last night were way down. At any rate, I don't think there is any direct correlation to number of plays.

Majority of the world is tired of the Bama vs someone national champ. I've been saying for a while that Bama will kill the SEC in time as far as viewership/ratings/etc.

the59dawg
01-10-2017, 05:30 PM
It's the commercials. I'd be curious how much time we were watching commercials vs actual game time

Yep. Lots of 3 and outs in game. Commercial each ball change. Its gotten to that in most games, even the pros. Heck Clemson ran about 100 plays. I bet each team punted at least 8 times.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-10-2017, 06:26 PM
My interest in soccer has grown in recent years largely because of how much more pleasant it is to watch a soccer game on tv than a football game. You know that it will take less than 2 hours to watch a game that lasts 90 minutes. You get 45 minutes straight of the game, a 15 minute halftime comprised of brief analysis and other game highlights but mostly commercials, 45 minutes more minutes of game. Compare that to the game last night.

Regardless of how you feel about the game of soccer itself, watching one will make you wonder why we need so many damn commercial breaks during a football game. I'm not saying football should completely cut commercial breaks. But if it would reduce them to only times where there's naturally time for them (timeouts, after an extra point/field goal and cut some of the analysis/highlights to spam out commercials during the 20 minute halftime break, the time for a game would shorten significantly without screwing with the rules of the actual game itself.

RocketDawg
01-10-2017, 07:19 PM
My interest in soccer has grown in recent years largely because of how much more pleasant it is to watch a soccer game on tv than a football game. You know that it will take less than 2 hours to watch a game that lasts 90 minutes. You get 45 minutes straight of the game, a 15 minute halftime comprised of brief analysis and other game highlights but mostly commercials, 45 minutes more minutes of game. Compare that to the game last night.

Regardless of how you feel about the game of soccer itself, watching one will make you wonder why we need so many damn commercial breaks during a football game. I'm not saying football should completely cut commercial breaks. But if it would reduce them to only times where there's naturally time for them (timeouts, after an extra point/field goal and cut some of the analysis/highlights to spam out commercials during the 20 minute halftime break, the time for a game would shorten significantly without screwing with the rules of the actual game itself.

The answer, of course, is simple: the networks make lots of money from the ads.

If you watch a one-hour video on demand program that has no commercials, it only lasts about 43 minutes. That means 17 minutes of commercials for a one-hour program. Way back in the day, a 30-minute program only had about 2 minutes of commercials; now, it's closer to 10.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-10-2017, 07:29 PM

I've shifted my focus to hockey, even though it has the two 20 minute intervals in between the periods.