PDA

View Full Version : 2 plays that will be called differently next year.

parabrave
01-10-2017, 12:42 AM
That pick play by receivers will be definitely called next year as off pass interference. And look to see less def PI called on the comeback passes where the receiver climbs over the defender to get that interference call.

Irondawg
01-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Agree with the first even though Bama ran it against us once. It should be called as it's clearly blatant and I'm sure Saban will be on the warpath with it in the offseason.

archdog
01-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Bama made it to the national championship on pick plays. That's all Kiffins could do for 2 years now.

archdog
01-10-2017, 12:48 AM
I was so happy that the pick play lost it for them. At least it was actually the Bama guy setting his own pick, unlike the Bama WR that tackled RBrown in our game to spring the easy td.

msstate7
01-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Those picks are hardly ever called. Kiffin and Dabo learned those from Sean Payton. Sean is the king of pick plays esp around goal line. NFL officials don't even call it

Commercecomet24
01-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Bama didn't have the sec protection tonight. Guess they found out how the other half lives

Commercecomet24
01-10-2017, 01:22 AM
The only problem I have with the pick play is I knew it was coming and if little ol me knew it was coming then bama should've known it was coming too. Remember the pick play Seattle tried against the pats in the super bowl that butler intercepted? He said they knew it was coming cause they saw it on film and practiced to stop it. Belichik doesn't miss anything. Bama should've sniffed it out. Oh well let the trailer burnings proceed

Bdawg
01-10-2017, 01:33 AM
I was so happy that the pick play lost it for them. At least it was actually the Bama guy setting his own pick, unlike the Bama WR that tackled RBrown in our game to spring the easy td.

Yeah Bama can't complain about that last play. The Bama DB set the pick for Clemson by basically tackling the receiver causing the DB to stumble back into his own man.

TUSK
01-10-2017, 04:18 AM
g

o

d

RiverCityDawg
01-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Yeah Bama can't complain about that last play. The Bama DB set the pick for Clemson by basically tackling the receiver causing the DB to stumble back into his own man.

This was exactly my thought.

You play press man and maul receivers at the line, this may happen. Don't get mad when the other team uses it against you.

CarolinaDawgs
01-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Why not just hold the receivers at the line? make them throw a flag. they cant get any closer.

msstate7
01-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Why not just hold the receivers at the line? make them throw a flag. they cant get any closer.

San Francisco did this vs the saints as the 1st half ended. It was a great strategy and the NFL made a new rule about it a week or 2 later

confucius say
01-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Bama made it to the national championship on pick plays. That's all Kiffins could do for 2 years now.

It's not a pick play if the receiver catches it behind the line of scrimmage, which is what lane did all the time

Ari Gold
01-10-2017, 11:52 AM
First off it wasn't a pick by the WR .. if anything it was DPI or holding on Bama.
The intent at the snap might have been called for a rub or pick by the outside Wr but he was basically tackled by the CB.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 11:57 AM
I think officials should be very careful about calling PI on underthrown balls by the QB. It's not fair to the DB. Also, I don't think PI should be called if the WR has an arm on the DB.

Yes, the pick play is going to come under a lot more scrutiny.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 12:03 PM
First off it wasn't a pick by the WR .. if anything it was DPI or holding on Bama.
The intent at the snap might have been called for a rub or pick by the outside Wr but he was basically tackled by the CB.

You must have seen something I didn't. What I saw was the Clemson receiver doing the so called picking (Leggett?) run right into the DB covering him without even trying to run a route and cause enough of a clog that the other DB covering Renfroe had to go around the backside of that collision with no chance to cover his man. I just wish they would call it consistently one way or the other. If they are only going to call it half the time or less then just make it legal where everyone can run it without worrying whether they will get away with it. I can guarantee you that MSU could not get away with that with SEC refs if we were playing Bama or most of the top SEC programs. They wouldn't allow us to.

drunkernhelldawg
01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
That pick play by receivers will be definitely called next year as off pass interference. And look to see less def PI called on the comeback passes where the receiver climbs over the defender to get that interference call.

Hope you're right, especially on Defensive call.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-10-2017, 12:06 PM
This play was flagged when Notre Dame tried to run it against Florida State a couple years back and cost them the game. The difference is if the receiver just sets a pick for a guy it's illegal. If the said receiver turns around in the process as to act like he is running a route and in position to receive a pass then it's legit. That is exactly what Clemson did. Brilliant play.

Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfIcVzeOQM

Now Clemson

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/9/14221614/clemson-alabama-pick-play-pass-interference-rub

The first one the guy just acted like he stumbled into the defender...That is kinda sketchy. But the other one for the win is totally legal.

Ari Gold
01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Again wasn't a pick play.. talked to a side judge from a power 5 conference (sec) today and said the same thing. Great no call. And that would have been his call to make..

drunkernhelldawg
01-10-2017, 12:12 PM
I thought the last PI on Bama should have been Holding. That would have been half the distance. An earlier one (don't remember which team) was definitely just an underthrown ball causing the WR to make contact with the DB.

shoeless joe
01-10-2017, 12:15 PM
The bad call in that sequence was puttin the ball on the 2 after the called PI. Clemson was on about the 16 yard line...the PI clearly occurred on the 2 and should have been half the distance to the goal. So they would've had 6 seconds to run a play from the 8 yard line. Instead it was callled that the PI occurred in the endzone placing it at the two. That is a very legit gripe that bama has.

For the record I was pulling for Clemson.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 12:27 PM
The bad call in that sequence was puttin the ball on the 2 after the called PI. Clemson was on about the 16 yard line...the PI clearly occurred on the 2 and should have been half the distance to the goal. So they would've had 6 seconds to run a play from the 8 yard line. Instead it was callled that the PI occurred in the endzone placing it at the two. That is a very legit gripe that bama has.

For the record I was pulling for Clemson.

Said same thing watching it live

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
This play was flagged when Notre Dame tried to run it against Florida State a couple years back and cost them the game. The difference is if the receiver just sets a pick for a guy it's illegal. If the said receiver turns around in the process as to act like he is running a route and in position to receive a pass then it's legit. That is exactly what Clemson did. Brilliant play.

Notre Dame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfIcVzeOQM

Now Clemson

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/9/14221614/clemson-alabama-pick-play-pass-interference-rub

The first one the guy just acted like he stumbled into the defender...That is kinda sketchy. But the other one for the win is totally legal.

Interesting. I can't get youtube now but will look later because in real time I didn't notice the receiver turning around.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Again wasn't a pick play.. talked to a side judge from a power 5 conference (sec) today and said the same thing. Great no call. And that would have been his call to make..

You are right that it wasn't a pick play in the traditional sense. Legget never contacted tony brown (the defender covering renfroe). But, by rule, it was offensive pass interference on Legget bc he was blocking his man off the line on a forward pass. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if Legget's defender was jamming him as opposed to Legget blocking him, but that obviously wasn't the case as Legget's arms were engaged, extended fully, and he attacked the defender. Missed offensive PI call.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 12:42 PM
You are right that it wasn't a pick play in the traditional sense. Legget never contacted tony brown (the defender covering renfroe). But, by rule, it was offensive pass interference on Legget bc he was blocking his man off the line on a forward pass. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if Legget's defender was jamming him as opposed to Legget blocking him, but that obviously wasn't the case as Legget's arms were engaged, extended fully, and he attacked the defender. Missed offensive PI call.

Defender initiated contact... not OPI

HSVDawg
01-10-2017, 12:57 PM
I thought the last PI on Bama should have been Holding. That would have been half the distance. An earlier one (don't remember which team) was definitely just an underthrown ball causing the WR to make contact with the DB.

Pretty sure the ball was in the air when contact was made, making it PI and not holding.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Correct, it was technically OPI because Leggett was blocking his man beyond the LOS and not running a route. But it was done with the intention of blocking the other DB's path to cover his man. If you are allowed to do that then it makes it fairly easy to defeat man-to-man coverage.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Correct, it was technically OPI because Leggett was blocking his man beyond the LOS and not running a route. But it was done with the intention of blocking the other DB's path to cover his man. If you are allowed to do that then it makes it fairly easy to defeat man-to-man coverage.

Bama DB initiates contact, Legget turns around as if to catch a ball and the other DB takes himself out. So... no

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Alro8tSTsj7hflujmptWQQ8zpiw=/0x0:557x314/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:557x314):no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7781795/pick2.0.gif

confucius say
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Defender initiated contact... not OPI

1. Wrong. Legget's arms were fully extended going into db. Db's left hand goes around Legget's head/shoulder. Go watch the play from far sideline angle.

2. Doesn't matter anyway. Db can initiate contact (i.e. jam) and wr still can't block on forward pass. Not saying it's fair, but that's the rule.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:15 PM
1. Wrong. Legget's arms were fully extended going into db. Db's hands go around Legget's head. Go watch the play from far sideline angle.

2. Doesn't matter anyway. Db can initiate contact (i.e. jam) and wr still can't block on forward pass. Not saying it's fair, but that's the rule.

I just posted it above. Bama DB's arm extends first and makes contact.

Receivers are allowed to fight off a jam. The receiver also looks back for the ball.

You start getting into a gigantic grey area where this is concerned, but I believe it was the correct no call.

Or are we talking about the final play?

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lY9NAi94M4m5V2VnCBuuo-EFNBQ=/0x0:551x300/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:551x300):no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7782113/clemsonwins.0.gif

Also appears that Bama DB initiates contact knocking the Clemson receiver down.. and that is how the ref interpreted it..

confucius say
01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Go look from far sideline angle. Colin has shown it 20 times in his show. I do agree from the angle you showed humphreys right hand reaches out to Legget's left shoulder. However, as posted above, doesn't matter. Db can jam/punch off the line and wr still can't block beyond line of scrimmage on a forward pass prior to pass being caught.

ETA: nm. We are talking about two different plays. I'm talking bout last play. Collin had it slowed down on his show from pylon angle and you can see Legget Initiated contact.

HSVDawg
01-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Bama DB initiates contact, Legget turns around as if to catch a ball and the other DB takes himself out. So... no

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Alro8tSTsj7hflujmptWQQ8zpiw=/0x0:557x314/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:557x314):no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7781795/pick2.0.gif

That was earlier in the game. Not the play in question.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Go look from far sideline angle. Colin has shown it 20 times in his show. I do agree from the angle you showed humphreys right hand reaches out to Legget's left shoulder. However, as posted above, doesn't matter. Db can jam/punch off the line and wr still can't block beyond line of scrimmage on a forward pass prior to pass being caught.

You listen to Colin Cowherd?

Yeah, no thanks.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
That was earlier in the game. Not the play in question.

People kept referring to Legget. This is the rub play with Legget. You can see how I would be confused :)

Ari Gold
For the LAST time it WASNT OPI.
Period.
Straight out of the mouth of a SEC official.

If y'all want to make this thread 8 pages long and go back and forth with it go right ahead.

confucius say

Receivers are allowed to fight off a jam. The receiver also looks back for the ball.

You start getting into a gigantic grey area where this is concerned, but I believe it was the correct no call.

Or are we talking about the final play?

Haha. Yea I was talking bout final play. Should have clarified

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Period.

If y'all want to make this thread 8 pages long and go back and forth with it go right ahead.

It's done at any rate. It is funny to watch Bama fans complain about officiating for once.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 01:26 PM
You listen to Colin Cowherd?

Yeah, no thanks.

At home with two sick babies with the flu. Thought I'd add to the misery with Collin.

maroonmania
01-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Whatever. The Bama defender stands in his spot and sticks out his right arm and is pushed back 5 yards by Leggett. If that's initiating contact then yes he does. And to add, all of this time I thought we were discussing the last play of the game to Renfrow, not the pass to Williams.

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:28 PM
At home with two sick babies with the flu. Thought I'd add to the misery with Collin.

I can't stand him. When he is right, he's right, but when he is wrong, he continues on with his bull headed commentary to the point that I want to take out my tv or radio..

The thing with Dak was the absolute last straw. I refuse to listen to him.

Hope the little ones feel better

mstatefan91
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Whatever. The Bama defender stands in his spot and sticks out his right arm and is pushed back 5 yards by Leggett. If that's initiating contact then yes he does. And to add, all of this time I thought we were discussing the last play of the game to Renfrow, not the pass to Williams.

I think we were all confused about which play we were discussing, but it's fine.

I agree with the no call, you don't. Moving on

confucius say
01-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Period.

Then we know why sec refs suck. I hear lawyers misinterpret the law every day, doesn't make them right. I hate Bama, but that absolutely was OPI on the last play. The only way you can possibly say it was not is to argue the outside wr was not coming off the line blocking but was Trying to run a route.

confucius say
01-10-2017, 01:38 PM
I can't stand him. When he is right, he's right, but when he is wrong, he continues on with his bull headed commentary to the point that I want to take out my tv or radio..

The thing with Dak was the absolute last straw. I refuse to listen to him.

Hope the little ones feel better

Thanks. And Good debate.

KB21
01-10-2017, 01:42 PM
I think officials should be very careful about calling PI on underthrown balls by the QB. It's not fair to the DB. Also, I don't think PI should be called if the WR has an arm on the DB.

Yes, the pick play is going to come under a lot more scrutiny.

If you do not get your head around then it is completely on you as a DB when that happens. All you have to do is get your head around and locate the football.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
If you do not get your head around then it is completely on you as a DB when that happens. All you have to do is get your head around and locate the football.

agree with that. It always amazes me that DB's don't get their head around in good position. I still see it called even when they do and that needs to be eliminated.