PDA

View Full Version : TBuck as D.C.?

justwin
01-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Squat corners, man
4 DL
Croot
A MS guy

Is he ready? Can he be a long term solution?

Dawgtini
01-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Squat corners, man
4 DL
Croot
A MS guy

Is he ready? Can he be a long term solution?
I don't know if he is ready but he is no more of a reach than the last guy.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2017, 10:56 PM
I just don't think Mullen can go that direction.

Most head coaches don't have the opportunity to rectify a terrible hire like Sirmon &, due to that, I don't think Mullen has any choice but to go out & hire an experienced DC.

Mullen had the opportunity to be a super scout & hire an up & comer with no experience, but after making an abysmal hire I can't imagine he has that option again.

Instead of trying to be the guy that gave the next Dick Leboeau his shot, it's time to make a boring, Xs & Os hire that can get this defense to average.

With an average defense, we've got a chance to be a solid team.

lamont
01-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:05 PM
I just don't think Mullen can go that direction.

Most head coaches don't have the opportunity to rectify a terrible hire like Sirmon &, due to that, I don't think Mullen has any choice but to go out & hire an experienced DC.

Mullen had the opportunity to be a super scout & hire an up & comer with no experience, but after making an abysmal hire I can't imagine he has that option again.

Instead of trying to be the guy that gave the next Dick Leboeau his shot, it's time to make a boring, Xs & Os hire that can get this defense to average.

With an average defense, we've got a chance to be a solid team.

All good points. what would TBuck have to do in an interview to be considered? For me, it's a 4 or 5 DL front.

Where does he rank as a recruiter from all of the D coaches Dan has hired in the past? Geoff was a good recruiter, probably the best overall crooner. Is TBuck in top 3?

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What are you looking for in a D.C.? Names? Be specific in desired characteristics

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Would you guys take Wommack?

I realize his defense stunk at OM this year, but he'll have better defensive players at MSU along with actual LBs

Dallas_Dawg
01-09-2017, 11:13 PM

I realize his defense stunk at OM this year, but he'll have better defensive players at MSU along with actual LBs

I'm beginning to think Shotgun is the most tenured troll in ED history.
Hes gotten even more ridiculous since the Freeze ship has started to sink

Dallas_Dawg
01-09-2017, 11:14 PM

ETA: This post is one of the tamer ones, should have probably picked a better example in hindsight

Really Clark?
01-09-2017, 11:17 PM

No. Only when Tom Allen was with him has he ever had a defense better than average and many of his defenses have been poor.

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:17 PM

No, he's too old. I think you avoid old guys and NFL guys.

Bodaski
01-09-2017, 11:19 PM
What are you looking for in a D.C.? Names? Be specific in desired characteristics

Clancy Pendergast, DC at Southern Cal. He was a GA at MSU in 91-92

WSOPdawg
01-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Buahahahahaha, that a good one, funny, but good. Uh, no!

maroonmania
01-09-2017, 11:20 PM

I wouldn't want him but I can guarantee you he would be an upgrade from Sirmon.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2017, 11:21 PM
ETA: This post is one of the tamer ones, should have probably picked a better example in hindsight

Your an idiot

Todd4State
01-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Nope the formula for us is an up and coming Sun Belt DC. If I were Dan that is clearly what I would do.

Todd4State
01-09-2017, 11:23 PM
I don't know if he is ready but he is no more of a reach than the last guy.

Congrats on making a post on here that isn't about me or directed at me.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Damn this beer is good

RocketDawg
01-09-2017, 11:25 PM

Kind of an Ole Miss sounding name though. **

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Nope the formula for us is an up and coming Sun Belt DC. If I were Dan that is clearly what I would do.

Nate woody. He's the D.C. At Appalachian state. Has a good resume, LB coach.

Reason2succeed
01-09-2017, 11:33 PM
We need to poach a coach. Hiring from "available" coaches means they got fired. I like finding someone like Diaz, Collins, and even Sirmon who is hungry and wants to get into the SEC.

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:35 PM

Gotcha. Looked him up and he's been a west coast guy for last 25 years except the one year in starkville.

Todd4State
01-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Nate woody. He's the D.C. At Appalachian state. Has a good resume, LB coach.

Yes. I've had my eye on him ever since their performance against Tennessee. The only hang up some will have with him is he is a 3-4 guy. But I think our problems this year were beyond the scheme itself.

Dawgtini
01-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Congrats on making a post on here that isn't about me or directed at me.
Thanks!! Hey, do you happen to have an opinion about sunbelt DC's? I'll hang up and listen.

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:44 PM
We need to poach a coach. Hiring from "available" coaches means they got fired. I like finding someone like Diaz, Collins, and even Sirmon who is hungry and wants to get into the SEC.

Erik chinader at UCF or Hardy Nickerson at Illinois?

Jarius
01-09-2017, 11:50 PM
We need to hire a DC with DC experience at some level. No more experiments.

sandwolf
01-09-2017, 11:50 PM
what would TBuck have to do in an interview to be considered? For me, it's a 4 or 5 DL front.

Are you saying that you feel like we should run a base defense with 5 down linemen? Dear lord.....that would end really poorly.

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Erik chinader at UCF or Hardy Nickerson at Illinois?

Also, Seth Wallace at Iowa. Young LB coach, recruit coordinator. Coached at Valdosta too

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Are you saying that you feel like we should run a base defense with 5 down linemen? Dear lord.....that would end really poorly.

No dude

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:53 PM
We need to hire a DC with DC experience at some level. No more experiments.

A shoop brother? Who do you recommend?

Dallas_Dawg
01-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Your an idiot

Maybe you shouldn't post so much garbage then if not a troll.
Wommack, the old dude that fielded one of the shittiest defenses in recent memory, on a staff that may end up with a slew of show causes?
Who's the idiot?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-10-2017, 12:00 AM

maybe the son.

Todd4State
01-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks!! Hey, do you happen to have an opinion about sunbelt DC's? I'll hang up and listen.

That would be nice for a change.

Seven out of twelve about Todd4State.

Westdawg
01-10-2017, 12:38 AM

I actually wished we had gone hard for Pendergast when he was available a couple years back. Great coach

Jarius
01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
A shoop brother? Who do you recommend?

I recommend an up and comer in the minor leagues/non power 5 realm. That has worked out well for us in the past.

Mjoelner34
01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
I actually wished we had gone hard for Pendergast when he was available a couple years back. Great coach

That is who I wanted instead of Manny part deux.

MetEdDawg
01-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Dan needs to put his ego aside and hire a bigger name from a power 5 school or someone with some previous HC experience and pay the person some money. Some of the current DCs in our division:

Jeremy Pruitt
Dave Aranda
Kevin Steele
John Chavis

Sweet Jesus people. Time to stop poaching Sun Belt DCs and get a boss on defense. We have to pay to play. I know it might be a stretch, but could we get a Justin Wilcox from Wisconsin? What about Jay Bateman from Army? They finished 3rd in total defense, 13th in points allowed this year and he's got HC experience at the D2 level along with DC experience at Ball State.

Just doing a little research, can we not get someone like these guys that have either been DCs for a little while or have previous HC experience along with a record of some good defenses? I feel like we should be able to do that and feel like we have to if we want to compete at the top of the SEC.

Jarius
01-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Dan needs to put his ego aside and hire a bigger name from a power 5 school or someone with some previous HC experience and pay the person some money. Some of the current DCs in our division:

Jeremy Pruitt
Dave Aranda
Kevin Steele
John Chavis

Sweet Jesus people. Time to stop poaching Sun Belt DCs and get a boss on defense. We have to pay to play. I know it might be a stretch, but could we get a Justin Wilcox from Wisconsin? What about Jay Bateman from Army? They finished 3rd in total defense, 13th in points allowed this year and he's got HC experience at the D2 level along with DC experience at Ball State.

Just doing a little research, can we not get someone like these guys that have either been DCs for a little while or have previous HC experience along with a record of some good defenses? I feel like we should be able to do that and feel like we have to if we want to compete at the top of the SEC.

Most people like that are taken or would consider MSU a lateral move.

Bubb Rubb
01-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Dan Mullen is not going to do this. He should do this, but he's not going to get a type A personality to be his DC. There's room for only one type A personality on this coaching staff and that's Dan Mullen. I don't think he would put his ego aside and take a hands off approach. I'm not faulting him for it, either. It's just the way he likes to do things.

My picks:

Matt Pawlowski - DC at Miami (OH)
Nate Woody - DC at Appalachian St.
Jay Bateman - DC at Army
Ed Pinkham - DC at Western Michigan
Joe Cauthen - DC at Ark. State
Jack Curtis - DC at Tulane

All of these coaches could probably be had, and all of these defenses were top 30 in total defense last year.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2017, 10:32 AM

Jeremy Pruitt
Dave Aranda
Kevin Steele
John Chavis

Exactly. If we aren't going to cheat like the big boys, it's imperative that we have excellent Coordinators. Spend the money we aren't spending to land 5 star players, and pay a bunch of money to a legit DC...and then give him the reigns of the D.

ScottH
01-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Dan Mullen is not going to do this. He should do this, but he's not going to get a type A personality to be his DC. There's room for only one type A personality on this coaching staff and that's Dan Mullen. I don't think he would put his ego aside and take a hands off approach. I'm not faulting him for it, either. It's just the way he likes to do things.

I think of it more of an Alpha Male issue than Personality Type issue. Now if want to categorize him a narcissist that would be another barrels of monkeys.

Mullen appears to be an Alpha Male "wanna be" not a true Alpha. That keeps him from hiring a true Alpha. He hires down to not be threatened. Textbook.

Westdawg
01-10-2017, 10:56 AM

My picks:

Matt Pawlowski - DC at Miami (OH)
Nate Woody - DC at Appalachian St.
Jay Bateman - DC at Army
Ed Pinkham - DC at Western Michigan
Joe Cauthen - DC at Ark. State
Jack Curtis - DC at Tulane

All of these coaches could probably be had, and all of these defenses were top 30 in total defense last year.

Joe is a really good coach. I would be alright with him. We would have to change back to a 40 front, but thats not a major issue. And he attacks.
Nate is also a really good coach. He isn't a recruiter though, if memory serves me right. But a really good Xs & Os guy. And is a 3-4 guy.

TrapGame
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Mullen should have hired Tom Allen. Screw the non-compete with OM.

Really Clark?
01-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Mullen should have hired Tom Allen. Screw the non-compete with OM.

It wouldn't have mattered in the end even if we offered, he would have went back home to Indiana regardless.

TrapGame
01-10-2017, 11:31 AM
It wouldn't have mattered in the end even if we offered, he would have went back home to Indiana regardless.

That's too bad. I would have loved to see us beat OM using their same defensive schemes for a few years.

Dawgtini
01-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Dude from Miami of Ohio is intriguing. I thought he had a well coached disciplined D with a great game plan against us in St Pete.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Dude from Miami of Ohio is intriguing. I thought he had a well coached disciplined D with a great game plan against us in St Pete.

They could show nuff tackle

ScottH
01-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Since this started as a T buck thread.

Buried in a lengthy David Murray post at almost midnight was the thought that T buck could be headed back to the NFL as one of his buddies is in line for a head coaching job.

Even Murray seems frustrated.

BankerDog
01-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Go get the LB coach at Penn State who everyone thought we were hiring last year.

Bubb Rubb
01-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Since this started as a T buck thread.

Buried in a lengthy David Murray post at almost midnight was the thought that T buck could be headed back to the NFL as one of his buddies is in line for a head coaching job.

Even Murray seems frustrated.

When you pay these guys less than everyone else and handcuff them from a coaching standpoint, you're never going to have coaching continuity on that side of the ball. I'm afraid Mullen just sees those guys as plug and play, and it's sad. Someone like Buckley is especially important because he's an elite recruiter...something we need. You gotta do something to make them want to stay long term.

chef dixon
01-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Any retard could coach defense at Bama or LSU

3rdGen
01-10-2017, 10:18 PM
1. Needs to relate and teach the kids how to read the offenses, how it affects their scheme and how to TACKLE. Can't be in the right place if you have no clue about what's going on.
2. Must to be able to recruit.
3. Needs to have at least one nut big enough to tell dan to take that bend don't break coverage and shove it right up his ass.

That's all I need from a DC.