PDA

View Full Version : Dez will be the reason the Cowboys

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:18 AM
either win or lose in the playoffs/Super Bowl. Not Dak, not Zeke, not the Cowboys defense.

no more drops, excuses, etc. He played his best game of season vs Lions, so hopefully looks like he's healed up & ready to go.

Elite WRs usually are the reason teams win/lose in the NFL playoffs. See Odell yesterday compared to how Larry Fitzgerald usually carries the Cardinals when he's made it to the playoffs.

TrapGame
01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Dez can't drop a 3rd and 8 ball like he did in the second Giants game. That catch would have put them in Giants' territory.

DancingRabbit
01-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Maybe. If the Cowboys get behind then Dez playing well will be crucial.

If the Cowboys get off to a quick start they can win without Dez being a big factor.

I'm inclined to say Dallas' O-line is the biggest key. If they have a good game, I'm confident Dak and Zeke hold up their end.

Maybe 2nd biggest key is Dallas' pass rush. If they give Rodgers as much time as they did in the first game we'll be in trouble.

smootness
01-09-2017, 11:39 AM
I couldn't disagree more. On the list of important things to win in the playoffs, elite WR is about the 10th most important thing, if that. You have to play good defense, especially your pass rush, and you generally have to be able to establish the run. Those two are critical. And the QB has to avoid mistakes. Those are the top 3 things, period.

If the Cowboys win, it will be because of Dak, their pass rush, and the run game, in that order.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Nope the defense will be what kills them.

justwin
01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
If the Cowboys win, it will be because of Dak, their pass rush, and the run game, in that order.

Your list of 3 things happening is a given and secondary to his WRs, especially Dez, playing well. Dak will make mistakes only if his WRs let him down, via dropped passes, forcing him into more risky plays/throws. Evidence is NYG/Dallas game later in the year. Defense plays better when their WRs make plays to keep them off the field and fresh. Dallas' OL & Zeke will only be stopped if Dallas WRs can't make plays making them one dimensional. Like I said, NFL playoffs are won, most often, by WRs making great plays. Look at the Seahawks game last weekend too wiht that guy making that incredible 1H TD catch vs Lions WRs dropping balls, wrong routes. NYG should've been up a few tds on the road yesterday has Odell make the plays that elite WRs make.

justwin
01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Dez can't drop a 3rd and 8 ball like he did in the second Giants game. That catch would have put them in Giants' territory.

exactly

smootness
01-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Your list of 3 things happening is a given and secondary to his WRs, especially Dez, playing well. Dak will make mistakes only if his WRs let him down, via dropped passes, forcing him into more risky plays/throws. Evidence is NYG/Dallas game later in the year. Defense plays better when their WRs make plays to keep them off the field and fresh. Dallas' OL & Zeke will only be stopped if Dallas WRs can't make plays making them one dimensional. Like I said, NFL playoffs are won, most often, by WRs making great plays. Look at the Seahawks game last weekend too wiht that guy making that incredible 1H TD catch vs Lions WRs dropping balls, wrong routes. NYG should've been up a few tds on the road yesterday has Odell make the plays that elite WRs make.

So a QB's success is primarily attributable to his WRs?

Good to know that QB play, pass rush, and the running game are all secondary to WR play.

Give me the top 5 WR in the league and then tell me how many Super Bowls they have.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Going to be a pretty high scoring game I think. Dallas scored 30 on them without Dez the first round. The Packers defense gives up more 20+ yard pass plays than anybody in the NFL. So I think Dallas could drop 40+ on them. My concern is with Dak. The two games he played poorly in were after the bye and after a long week. Hopefully he's sharp and hopefully Nelson is out for the Packers. I'll go 41-34 Dallas.

Jarius
01-09-2017, 12:41 PM
If Dallas can run the ball and play keep away like they have all year long it won't be as high scoring as some think and Dallas will win easily IMO. Green Bay is playing better on defense now than they were so that will be the key matchup

Political Hack
01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Dez and Witten have been the two most inconsistent players on the Dallas offense all season.

I'd let go of both at the end of the year and try to draft a TE and get an elite WR in FA.

Political Hack
01-09-2017, 12:46 PM
If the Cowboys win, it'll be because of their defense. They have to get stops and/or turnovers.

NCDawg
01-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I was impressed with Green Bay's OL protection for Rodgers in the game against the Giants yesterday. If Dallas gives him that much time, Dallas could be in trouble.

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I was impressed with Green Bay's OL protection for Rodgers in the game against the Giants yesterday. If Dallas gives him that much time, Dallas could be in trouble.

Bingo. You can't give Rodgers all day to survey, or he'll pick you apart. For the Cowboys to win, they have to get pressure and cover on busted plays. GB has no rushing attack, so can they shut down Rodgers? If they can limit him or cause him to turn the ball over, they win.

Relying on Dez. means you're down and you're trying to move the ball in a hurry to score to catch up.

dawgday166
01-09-2017, 01:21 PM
If the Cowboys win, it'll be because of their defense. They have to get stops and/or turnovers.

This is what I tend to think.

An elite WR like a Rice can certainly help your team a lot, while primadonna WRs can hurt a lot (like Beckham and Dez). I also tend to perceive Dak hasn't distributed the ball to everyone near as well as he did while Dez was hurt. I don't think he's played as well since Dez has come back.

smootness
01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
This is what I tend to think.

An elite WR like a Rice can certainly help your team a lot, while primadonna WRs can hurt a lot (like Beckham and Dez). I also tend to perceive Dak hasn't distributed the ball to everyone near as well as he did while Dez was hurt. I don't think he's played as well since Dez has come back.

Most of Dak's best games have come with Dez in the lineup and producing.

dawgday166
01-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Most of Dak's best games have come with Dez in the lineup and producing.

As have the 2 games where he looked his worst ... Minn & Giants 2nd game. All three losses are with Dez in the lineup - tho the Eagles don't really count since Dak only played a series or 2.

smootness
01-09-2017, 03:34 PM
As have the 2 games where he looked his worst ... Minn & Giants 2nd game. All three losses are with Dez in the lineup - tho the Eagles don't really count since Dak only played a series or 2.

Then I would say it hasn't ultimately made a huge difference one way or another...which was my initial point in the thread.

Reason2succeed
01-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Dez and Witten have been the two most inconsistent players on the Dallas offense all season.

I'd let go of both at the end of the year and try to draft a TE and get an elite WR in FA.

That would be the last thing you did as a general manager. They'd run you out of town if they didn't kill you first. Those are two potential HOFamers!