PDA

View Full Version : So Clemson is now the fashionable pick

Schultzy
01-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Among some of my betting friends and analysts. While I admit to some Tide fatigue I don't think it will be close in the end. Their DC Kirby Smart had one foot out the door last year and it showed; not happening this year

Alabama 38 Clemson 14

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Spot on Schultzy!!

We may be wrong by the end of the night, but I agree with your assessment. I think the line is set to lure those into thinking Clemson has a chance. I don't think anyone stands a chance against that Bama Defense. Hurts is young and may be a bit rattled to begin the game, which may lead to Clemson scoring early.

I think as the game wears on, Bama stretches the lead to 2 TDs and easily covers the spread.

msstate7
01-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Spot on Schultzy!!

We may be wrong by the end of the night, but I agree with your assessment. I think the line is set to lure those into thinking Clemson has a chance. I don't think anyone stands a chance against that Bama Defense. Hurts is young and may be a bit rattled to begin the game, which may lead to Clemson scoring early.

I think as the game wears on, Bama stretches the lead to 2 TDs and easily covers the spread.
Om scored 40+ with the combo Clemson has... good qb and excellent WRs. Arkansas put up 30

MedDawg
01-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Among some of my betting friends and analysts. While I admit to some Tide fatigue I don't think it will be close in the end. Their DC Kirby Smart had one foot out the door last year and it showed; not happening this year

Alabama 38 Clemson 14

Several of Bama's games have gone like this..
First quarter close, maybe 7-7, Bama looks vulnerable. "Maybe they're not as good as everyone thinks".
Bama defense scores, Bama leads by 7.
Bama defense starts to hold, Bama offense slowly chugs to a score, now up by 14.
Bama defense continues to hold, maybe gets another turnover, Bama offense slowly chugs to a score, up by 21.
Opponent and Bama match stops and occasional scores the rest of the game, and Bama wins by 14-30 points.

I expect the NCG vs Clemson to go about the same, except Clemson scores a couple times in a row near the middle/end, and Bama wins by 10-14.

smootness
01-09-2017, 11:35 AM
I will be rooting hard for Clemson, but I don't see it. Bama's defense is better than it was last year, and Clemson is not as good. Yes, Hurts may hurt them. I've said all year I didn't understand starting a true freshman at QB for that team because all they need the QB to do is avoid mistakes. If he can avoid mistakes, they'll win relatively easily. If he plays like he has in some of their bigger games, it could get dicey.

msstate7
01-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I will be rooting hard for Clemson, but I don't see it. Bama's defense is better than it was last year, and Clemson is not as good. Yes, Hurts may hurt them. I've said all year I didn't understand starting a true freshman at QB for that team because all they need the QB to do is avoid mistakes. If he can avoid mistakes, they'll win relatively easily. If he plays like he has in some of their bigger games, it could get dicey.

Clemson stats

Total offense
'16 -- 503.1 yds/game
'15 -- 514.5 yds/game

Scoring offense
'16 -- 39.5
'15 -- 38.5

Total defense
'16 -- 306.9
'15 -- 313.0

Scoring defense
'16 -- 17.1
'15 -- 21.7

smootness
01-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Clemson stats

Total offense
'16 -- 503.1 yds/game
'15 -- 514.5 yds/game

Scoring offense
'16 -- 39.5
'15 -- 38.5

Total defense
'16 -- 306.9
'15 -- 313.0

Scoring defense
'16 -- 17.1
'15 -- 21.7

I know, but those numbers are severely inflated by the SC State, BC, Syracuse, and SC games, and those teams are all garbage. The Ohio State game certainly gives me pause on that opinion, as that was an extremely impressive win. But watching them throughout the year, I just never felt they were quite as good as they were last year. You could kind of see Pitt coming.

QuadrupleOption
01-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Alabama 38 Clemson 14

I'll believe Clemson beats Bama when Clemson actually beats Bama. Until then, I will not bet against a Nick Saban team that has everything on the line. Especially they way their defense plays.

TUSK
01-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Om scored 40+ with the combo Clemson has... good qb and excellent WRs. Arkansas put up 30

Not to be picky, but the Arkie game was over midway through the 3rd at 42-17... Arkie got a short drive for a score after a pick and a garbage TD really late...

What I'm sweating is Mike Williams... He's in the same mold as Mike Evans (TAMU) and some of OM's WRs in the past... Additionally, they have a TE that is a STUD... If Bama can weather the storm of what I expect to be some deep balls, they should be ok...

I'm also interested in if CU's OL can hold up, at all... their RT is particularly vulnerable, IMO.

dawgday166
01-09-2017, 01:13 PM
I know, but those numbers are severely inflated by the SC State, BC, Syracuse, and SC games, and those teams are all garbage. The Ohio State game certainly gives me pause on that opinion, as that was an extremely impressive win. But watching them throughout the year, I just never felt they were quite as good as they were last year. You could kind of see Pitt coming.

I kinda think Bama's are inflated for similar reasons. Having said that, Clemson will probably make the mistake or 2 that turns the tide and Bama will win most likely. Hoping not but .. that's the way it usually goes.

HSVDawg
01-09-2017, 01:18 PM
I think Clemson covers, but Bama ultimately pulls it out. Will be rooting for Clemson though.

TUSK
01-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Bottom line to me:

These things have to happen for CU to win:
1) Watson/Williams play very well and there are no pick 6s.
2) CU OL has to give Watson at least 4 secs to get a pass off for a deep route.
3) Bama needs to be sluggish on offense, start slow, and ineffective running the ball.
4) CU needs to be +1-2 in the TO battle.
5) CU will have to have at least 4 eplosive plays (1-2 for scores).

In short, if the Bammer Front 7 play up to it's potential and Hurts/the offense doesn't turn it over, it won't matter what Clemson does...

gtowndawg
01-09-2017, 01:35 PM
I overnight-ed a case of Jack Daniels to Sarkisian. Fingers crossed.

TUSK
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
I overnight-ed a case of Jack Daniels to Sarkisian. Fingers crossed.

What's Sark gonna drink in the 2nd half?

Dawg61
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Bama rolls by 10+ with their NFL defense. Watson will get picked atleast twice.

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Don't all champions drink champagne after a big victory???

I'm sure the Raymond James Stadium staff will have rolled it in there by halftime, so no need to worry....

TUSK
01-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Don't all champions drink champagne after a big victory???

I'm sure the Raymond James Stadium staff will have rolled it in there by halftime, so no need to worry....

Well. Fricking. Done... my friend.... +1

LC Dawg
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
4) CU needs to be +1-2 in the TO battle.

This is where Bama wins it in my opinion. I say Bama is +2 in the turnover battle and wins by two touchdowns. Tomorrow a third world country will receive a shipment of Clemson National Champions caps and t-shirts.

TUSK
01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
This is where Bama wins it in my opinion. I say Bama is +2 in the turnover battle and wins by two touchdowns. Tomorrow a third world country will receive a shipment of Clemson National Champions caps and t-shirts.

My Pickens County, AL neighbors are sooooo excited... they can forgo looting the big box outside Goodwill...

maroonmania
01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
I think Bama wins by 7-10 points. I don't think it will be a blowout. Clemson is better than anything the SEC has to challenge Bama with right now and is also better than Washington. The only thing with Clemson is which team shows up? The team that ran Ohio State off the field or the team that struggled to beat Va Tech in the ACC championship game?

gtowndawg
01-09-2017, 02:29 PM

https://babygatesdown.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/hooah.gif

TUSK
01-09-2017, 02:36 PM
I think Bama wins by 7-10 points. I don't think it will be a blowout. Clemson is better than anything the SEC has to challenge Bama with right now and is also better than Washington. The only thing with Clemson is which team shows up? The team that ran Ohio State off the field or the team that struggled to beat Va Tech in the ACC championship game?

If that team shows up, tonight's game will be the equivalent of a low grade snuff film.

louisvilledawg
01-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Not to be picky, but the Arkie game was over midway through the 3rd at 42-17... Arkie got a short drive for a score after a pick and a garbage TD really late...

What I'm sweating is Mike Williams... He's in the same mold as Mike Evans (TAMU) and some of OM's WRs in the past... Additionally, they have a TE that is a STUD... If Bama can weather the storm of what I expect to be some deep balls, they should be ok...

I'm also interested in if CU's OL can hold up, at all... their RT is particularly vulnerable, IMO.

I mentioned Mike Williams to you in a thread you started last week. Think he's the main threat. He's dat dude.

Love Gallman too, but don't think he tops 60 yards.

Completely forgot about Leggett. He's a certified baller as well. That offense is nasty. Haven't watched the OL, but now that you bring up their right tackle (or lack thereof), i'll be paying attention to that.

Go Tigers!

TUSK
01-09-2017, 04:16 PM
I mentioned Mike Williams to you in a thread you started last week. Think he's the main threat. He's dat dude.

Love Gallman too, but don't think he tops 60 yards.

Completely forgot about Leggett. He's a certified baller as well. That offense is nasty. Haven't watched the OL, but now that you bring up their right tackle (or lack thereof), i'll be paying attention to that.

Go Tigers!

Legget scares the crap outta me, too, LVille... also, they have a little bitty "Tyrone Prothro/Hollaway type kid" in WR Hunter Renfrow... he's legit...

Clemson reminds me A LOT of 2014 Ole Miss (save RB Gaulman)...

If they go all "Freezus" and just start throwing it all over the place with with reckless abandon early, I'm gonna shit my pants.

dawgday166
01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Legget scares the crap outta me, too, LVille... also, they have a little bitty "Tyrone Prothro/Hollaway type kid" in WR Hunter Renfrow... he's legit...

Clemson reminds me A LOT of 2014 Ole Miss (save RB Gaulman)...

If they go all "Freezus" and just start throwing it all over the place with with reckless abandon early, I'm gonna shit my pants.

On Finebaum just now they just talked about Bammer fans shittin their pants if they lose. Ole Pawl said he had a couple of dreams this week where Bammer lost and he shit his pants both times. But he also had a couple of wet dreams about them winning too ... so I guess it evened out. ****

If Bammer loses what a mess they'll have to clean up tomorrow. Ole Bentley might have to declare a state emergency.