PDA

View Full Version : Monterio Hunt just decommitted. What's up with that?

Jarius
01-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Better options available ?

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:15 PM

I think that's ok.

Bothrops
01-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Better options? Unless we get McMath, there won't be. What is wrong with our staff?

Vandelay Industries
01-08-2017, 05:18 PM
I hate recruiting haha

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Paul said his likely landing spots are South AL or LA Tech

Looks like our staff did some post season evaluations this past week & have getting things straight.

hailstate17
01-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Not the position that we needed a decommitment from. I still don't know why more receivers don't want to play in our offense.

lamont
01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
told to look around

CadaverDawg
01-08-2017, 05:21 PM
https://media.makeameme.org/created/well-damn-3pn7j9.jpg

msstate7
01-08-2017, 05:21 PM
When I look at 247's target list there isn't much listed. If we cut gainer and hunt, it seems our recruiting guys don't know what our coaches do

preachermatt83
01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
expect a couple of new names to pop up very soon.

Really Clark?
01-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Unless someone else offers late, La Tech or South Ala are his most likely landing spots. We do feel pretty good about Sanders

ShotgunDawg
Yup, it appears to me the staff has just decided that it would rather bank scholarships than take players that aren't SEC caliber.

Then they'll just use those schollies to get JUCO guys.

Taking non-SEC talent is one reason we were bad this year & why our upper classmen stunk.

It just appears to me that the staff has made a decision that they aren't going down that road anymore. SEC caliber talent or we'll bank the scholly & sign JUCOs at mid year

Leeshouldveflanked
Meh.....underperformed Senior Year in 1A/2A aginszf some really bad teams....

Todd4State
Maybe they think they can flip Bowie and land Sanders and McMath?

fader2103
01-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Obviously Hev was his primary recruiter****

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
the staff met a couple of days ago and had a recruiting meeting. I guess the question is why is this happening 3 weeks from signing day? We need to get our shit together. Recruiting is all about relationships and you can't build relationships in a month or even 2 months.

hailstate17
01-08-2017, 05:26 PM
I just think that's a dangerous strategy when you struggle to recruit big names. So instead of having a guy who could be a good player(who knows), we will probably end up signing no one. Then we will give one of our walk ons that spot

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 05:28 PM
I just think that's a dangerous strategy when you struggle to recruit big names. So instead of having a guy who could be a good player(who knows), we will probably end up signing no one. Then we will give one of our walk ons that spot

Not true. We will sign someone. We'll sign another Abram, Sweat, Champion, Rivers, etc at mid-year next year & count the scholly back.

Would you rather have this guy or those guys?

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 05:30 PM
the staff met a couple of days ago and had a recruiting meeting. I guess the question is why is this happening 3 weeks from signing day? We need to get our shit together. Recruiting is all about relationships and you can't build relationships in a month or even 2 months.

Objectively I agree with you, but this is going to happen due to the level we recruit at.

The hardest players to evaluate are the mid 3 star to low 4 star. 85-91s. Some of these guys turn into NFL players & some stink.

We aren't Alabama or LSU who gets to pick from 5 star to low 4 stars, so we have to make adjustments as more information becomes available.

Could we have done this in December? Maybe & that's really the only complaint I could have.

Really Clark?
01-08-2017, 05:31 PM

No. if for some reason we fail to get someone for that spot that is believed to be SEC talent we will bank it for next year. I actually believe we fill that spot

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:35 PM
We now have 7 commits with 15 open roster spots. So we have room for 8 more. And we know we will have more attrition so we could easily take 10 more if we want a full 85.

Madisonmd
01-08-2017, 05:35 PM
No. if for some reason we fail to get someone for that spot that is believed to be SEC talent we will bank it for next year. I actually believe we fill that spot

A staffer feels like we are still in running for S. Guidry, feels like there are better WRs than Bowie available. FWIW

msstate7
01-08-2017, 05:38 PM
A staffer feels like we are still in running for S. Guidry, feels like there are better WRs than Bowie available. FWIW

Any names?

Really Clark?
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM

Yeah I'm just not sold that Guidry will flip. Do like we are still bringing him in to see what happens. I think we have a pretty good shot at 2-3 WR that are better than Hunt. Bowie gets a shot there but I think CB will be his spot eventually. Could be wrong.

MarketingBully
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM

So two of your 9 posts are in this thread.....yeah, seems legit....

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:41 PM

I could see LSU doing to Guidry what we did to Hunt. I'm glad we are continuing to recruit him.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2017, 05:41 PM
This is what happens when you sign a few Jucos mid year that you weren't expecting to get.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
This is what happens when you sign a few Jucos mid year that you weren't expecting to get.

Yup and I'll take those JUCO over an average WR that won't see the field for 2 or 3 years.

msstate7
01-08-2017, 05:45 PM

Seems like we still have the spots though, so does this mean we think we'll finish strong?

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:47 PM

I guess that's a factor but we have plenty of roster room.

Bothrops
01-08-2017, 05:51 PM

They better make damn sure we get that GA receiver when he visits.

msstate7
01-08-2017, 05:52 PM
I guess that's a factor but we have plenty of roster room.

I hope our coaches know something the recruiting guys don't. Hopefully more names start popping up on the OV lists

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:53 PM
They better make damn sure we get that GA receiver when he visits.

Yeah, I think it's Braylon Sanders or no one. We aren't getting McMath. I doubt we get Bowie either. We won't get Guidry unless LSU drops him.

Irondawg
01-08-2017, 05:57 PM
The part I hate is everyone was talking about Hunt as being a 4-star if he hadn't gotten hurt his junior year. I've heard all year how he's going to be a steal and then 3 weeks before signing day the narrative does a 180 and he's no longer SEC-caliber.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 05:59 PM
The part I hate is everyone was talking about Hunt as being a 4-star if he hadn't gotten hurt his junior year. I've heard all year how he's going to be a steal and then 3 weeks before signing day the narrative does a 180 and he's no longer SEC-caliber.

Yep, that's just fanboy and website guy propaganda. Paul Jones can chime in if he wants, but he was hyping up Paul Gainer all year too.

FISHDAWG
01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
then apparently he can't kick either ** Are we even recruiting a kicker ?

HoopsDawg
01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

We are recruiting a kicker and a punter. 2 good ones.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Yes, we are recruiting an awesome kicker from Mandeville that we are expected to flip from GT. He put on a show yesterday in the Army All American game

fader2103
01-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Yes, we are recruiting an awesome kicker from Mandeville that we are expected to flip from GT. He put on a show yesterday in the Army All American game

Correct me if I'm wrong. Won't this be Dan's first scholarship kicker out of HS

FISHDAWG
01-08-2017, 06:22 PM
I hope we are recruiting more than one ... seems like we should sign at least three and hope to shake out one that is serviceable ... at this point it would almost be worth 3 schollies to get just one good one

civildawg
01-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Yep, that's just fanboy and website guy propaganda. Paul Jones can chime in if he wants, but he was hyping up Paul Gainer all year too.

Paul has become the worst. Robbie and him are sunshine pumpers to the max.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Won't this be Dan's first scholarship kicker out of HS

Yes unless you count Brauchle who I believe committed under Croom.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Yup, it appears to me the staff has just decided that it would rather bank scholarships than take players that aren't SEC caliber.

Taking non-SEC talent is one reason we were bad this year & why our upper classmen stunk.

It just appears to me that the staff has made a decision that they aren't going down that road anymore. SEC caliber talent or we'll bank the scholly & sign JUCOs at mid year

Personally I think it would be better and safer overall to take some risks and then process them if they don't pan out and then take JUCO's if they don't pan out down the road. That's kind of what Alabama does except they use 4-5 star underclassmen instead of JUCO's more often than not. The reality is if we don't take some of these guys we're going to be giving their scholarships to walk-ons anyway. We'll hit a few like we did on Banks and we'll miss on more but then we have the JUCO's as a back-up.

The only question is what kind of an APR hit we would have doing that.

RocketDawg
01-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Getting a solid FG kicker would be nice.

RocketDawg
01-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Best news I've heard all day. Kickers are typically the points-scoring leaders on a team I believe. We missed out on a lot of points this last season for whatever reason (injury, scrambled brain, ....).

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Best news I've heard all day. Kickers are typically the points-scoring leaders on a team I believe. We missed out on a lot of points this last season for whatever reason (injury, scrambled brain, ....).

We have the Army All-American Bowl kicker and punter visiting. If we land both of them Chris Boniol should get a lot of credit.

dawgoneyall
01-08-2017, 07:23 PM

I think we just 17ed up. We will know in 4 years

HSVDawg
01-08-2017, 07:34 PM

Bingo. It's a bad look.

dawgoneyall
01-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Unless you are absolutely sure you can sign better options you can do to recruits what we have done to these two recent "go 17 off" recruits. I think both would be able to be a positive for the team after a redshirt. Hunt is SEC talent. And we don't seem to have any back up options. That is the pisser.

HSVDawg
01-08-2017, 07:39 PM

The question is why are those the only two options? If we can't draw enough interest to fill our allotted spots with at least marginal SEC players, that is a problem. Personally, I also think banking the scholarships is a terrible idea. Process the kids later if you have to in order to get the JUCO guys, but just leaving scholarships on the table is bush league. This is the SEC West for ****s sake. You think LSU and Auburn are not signing their full allotment because they don't want to hurt some feelings later?

msstate7
01-08-2017, 07:41 PM
The question is why are those the only two options? If we can't draw enough interest to fill our allotted spots with at least marginal SEC players, that is a problem. Personally, I also think banking the scholarships is a terrible idea. Process the kids later if you have to in order to get the JUCO guys, but just leaving scholarships on the table is bush league. This is the SEC West for ****s sake. You think LSU and Auburn are not signing their full allotment because they don't want to hurt some feelings later?

How do we know we don't have better options?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Not everyone was saying that. M.Hunt problem is that he played in Class A. He is talented but would have been a project and probably wouldn't have seen the field for awhile

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Bs...sunshine pumping is what goes on over at Spirit. Paul and Robbie tell it like it is. It is the main reason I joined up on 247

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
How do we know we don't have better options?

Agreed. We need to wait until NSD and see how all of this plays out. If there are scholarships left on the table then the staff screwed up. To soon to know at this point.

GTHOM
01-08-2017, 07:57 PM
We feel good about some others

defiantdog
01-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a McMath or bust situation. Did Montario expect to be on the field immediately or something?

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a McMath or bust situation. Did Montario expect to be on the field immediately or something?

It is being presented that way. I think he was probably dropped.

smootness
01-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Unless you are absolutely sure you can sign better options you can do to recruits what we have done to these two recent "go 17 off" recruits. I think both would be able to be a positive for the team after a redshirt. Hunt is SEC talent. And we don't seem to have any back up options. That is the pisser.

Our coaches clearly disagree.

Madisonmd
01-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Any names?

Only name mentioned was Guidry

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Eh, I trust our coach's evaluations more than yours

BeastMan
01-08-2017, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE]Bingo. It's a bad look./QUOTE]

Hypothetical: The staff tells the kid his projection with the current depth chart is if he works his ass off, he could start seeing playing time in year 3. The kid decides he wants to go somewhere he could play earlier.

Is that a bad look or honest recruiting? What if they tell him he'll play early and he transfers out after 2 years after being lied to? Is that better because he didn't decommit in January?

maroonmania
01-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Well I don't know because I've never seen him play and granted he does play in a place where he doesn't get much exposure but apparently we are the only SEC team that thought he is SEC talent because he has no other SEC offers.

CadaverDawg
01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Here's the deal...

IF the excuse is Gainer & Hunt aren't SEC caliber, then I'm fine with us dropping them FOR two guys at those positions WITH SEC potential. If we're dropping guys that we don't think are good enough, and replacing them with air...we are doing it wrong. We're also doing it wrong if we're dropping them because we MIGHT get someone better that we "feel good about". How bout you hang on to the guys until you KNOW what your backup plan is...like SEC West schools are supposed to do. Bc I can promise you it looks no better or worse to the recruit or the fans if you do it now versus a few weeks from now.

Hard to expect good recruiting results when we Recruit like we don't know how the recruiting process works. We need to start operating & recruiting like an SEC West contender if we ever want to be one. What would be wrong with getting a commitment from said "better option" before ditching his backup plan? Or better yet, who misevaluated them & why did it take a month after their seasons to realize it? We've got to get better at the entire recruiting process, it's like we self impose scholarship sanctions due to ineptitude in the recruiting process.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE]Bingo. It's a bad look./QUOTE]

Hypothetical: The staff tells the kid his projection with the current depth chart is if he works his ass off, he could start seeing playing time in year 3. The kid decides he wants to go somewhere he could play earlier.

Is that a bad look or honest recruiting? What if they tell him he'll play early and he transfers out after 2 years after being lied to? Is that better because he didn't decommit in January?

The result is essentially the same in both cases.

Knee jerk reaction- I think it's better to get them on campus because then there is a better chance at retention and then possible production. If you don't get them on campus you have zero percent chance of production.

The thing about recruiting is that it is a selling job. It's one thing to flat out lie to a recruit. Like say "we at Ole Miss aren't under investigation by the NCAA". We can still tell the truth and sell recruits on the end product of what happens if they work hard and wait the two years. And I'm not saying we don't. Just that it's not cut and dried truth vs. lie.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Here's the deal...

IF the excuse is Gainer & Hunt aren't SEC caliber, then I'm fine with us dropping them FOR two guys at those positions WITH SEC potential. If we're dropping guys that we don't think are good enough, and replacing them with air...we are doing it wrong. We're also doing it wrong if we're dropping them because we MIGHT get someone better that we "feel good about". How bout you hang on to the guys until you KNOW what your backup plan is...like SEC West schools are supposed to do. Bc I can promise you it looks no better or worse to the recruit or the fans if you do it now versus a few weeks from now.

Hard to expect good recruiting results when we Recruit like we don't know how the recruiting process works. We need to start operating & recruiting like an SEC West contender if we ever want to be one. What would be wrong with getting a commitment from said "better option" before ditching his backup plan? Or better yet, who misevaluated them & why did it take a month after their seasons to realize it? We've got to get better at the entire recruiting process, it's like we self impose scholarship sanctions due to ineptitude in the recruiting process.

Good post and we'll see how it plays out in the end.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Here's the deal...

Great post. Hard to disagree with any this.

You bring up a good point about basically not operating in an optimal fashion. Is it me or does it sometimes feel like the goal of the program is to build a mid-level bowl contender than a championship caliber team?

msstate7
01-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Here's the deal...

If we're gonna buy a lottery ticket, I'd go with kain daub over hunt or gainer. Daub is overweight and in juco now, but he was a 96 rated 4* fsu signee 2 years ago. Perhaps we can get something out of him. If not, he comes off scholarship in 2 years rather than 4. Seems like a good buy low candidate

HSVDawg
01-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Agreed. We need to wait until NSD and see how all of this plays out. If there are scholarships left on the table then the staff screwed up. To soon to know at this point.

Obviously its too soon to know what signing day looks like this year, but the past two years we have left 4-5 spots on the table each time. Thats why folks are nervous.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-08-2017, 10:04 PM

I think Brauchle was JUCO, not HS.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Great post. Hard to disagree with any this.

You bring up a good point about basically not operating in an optimal fashion. Is it me or does it sometimes feel like the goal of the program is to build a mid-level bowl contender than a championship caliber team?

To me it feels like we just don't totally grasp the recruiting process and in Dan's arrogance he just plays it off as if everything worked out like he wanted. There's a reason why he has said that recruiting is the most stressful part of his job. IF Gainer and Hunt just de-committed on their own and they were really takes- it also shows why Dan is the biggest proponent of an early signing period. And I'm speaking hypothetically here.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Obviously its too soon to know what signing day looks like this year, but the past two years we have left 4-5 spots on the table each time. Thats why folks are nervous.

Totally understand. I feel the same way and have my doubts about how this is going to turn out myself. But maybe Dan will surprise me for once- but the track record certainly isn't promising. He has closed on Leo and Chris Jones in the past but has more than his share of whiffs late.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 10:41 PM
I think Brauchle was JUCO, not HS.

He was. I thought the question was just kicker in general? I may have read it wrong, but the point is Dan hasn't brought in a scholarship kicker only player since he has been here. Devon Bell did both though and lost the job but just signed a contract with the Lions.

Really Clark?
01-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Pretty sure Logan Cook was a HS scholarship kicker

dawgoneyall
01-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Unless someone else offers late, La Tech or South Ala are his most likely landing spots. We do feel pretty good about Sanders

Wish we had SA's re divers last year. They were better than ours

Bothrops
01-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Here's the deal...

We will either end up replacing these kids with air, or have to scramble to find other prospects like them. Those who think these numbers may hold over to next year's class, can expect this same process to be deferred a year from now.

Todd4State
01-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Pretty sure Logan Cook was a HS scholarship kicker

You are correct. Of course he is a punter and I thought the original question was about scholarship place kickers.

Brauchle and Hutchins were both in Dan's first class and they were JUCO's that Croom had originally recruited and they committed while Croom was the coach I believe.

Then we had Devon Bell who did all three phases of kicking for us. He turned out to be a good kickoff/punter and is with the Lions so he turned out pretty well despite struggling at kicker.

Then we had Cooke who has been a punter mostly unless he has attempted some long field goals at some point and I just forgot about it.

That's pretty much it.

Leroy Jenkins
01-09-2017, 04:00 AM
If we're gonna buy a lottery ticket, I'd go with kain daub over hunt or gainer. Daub is overweight and in juco now, but he was a 96 rated 4* fsu signee 2 years ago. Perhaps we can get something out of him. If not, he comes off scholarship in 2 years rather than 4. Seems like a good buy low candidate

Scholarships are offered on an annual basis. It's not a 2 year or 4 year thing.

msstate7
01-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Scholarships are of fered on an annual basis. It'll 's not a 2 year or 4 year thing.
I realize this, but we aren't processing kids like most. Didn't we make a bowl this year in part bc we aren't processing?

DawgFromOxford
01-09-2017, 09:53 AM

What makes you think we will flip him? I've been out of the loop with recruiting recently.

bulldog2488
01-09-2017, 10:30 AM
I'm curious about this as well. I'd really like to find a solid kicker and punter this class.

HSVDawg
01-09-2017, 10:30 AM
I realize this, but we aren't processing kids like most. Didn't we make a bowl this year in part bc we aren't processing?

It probably didn't hurt. But its dumb to say that sacrificing 10 scholarships so we could back door our way into the St. Petersburg Bowl was a good strategy.

maroonmania
01-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Totally understand. I feel the same way and have my doubts about how this is going to turn out myself. But maybe Dan will surprise me for once- but the track record certainly isn't promising. He has closed on Leo and Chris Jones in the past but has more than his share of whiffs late.

Our late in the process recruiting is usually VERY weak. Chris Jones was a summer time commitment that we held onto and many will say that Leo Lewis was a private commitment to us from the time that he decommitted from Alabama prior to his senior season even though he went public to the Bears to "enjoy the fruits" of the recruiting process. This best late pull I've ever seem Mullen and crew pull of was the Jeff Simmons get last year. Not sure anyone really knew we were getting him for sure until just a week or so before signing day.

msstate7
01-09-2017, 10:52 AM
It probably didn't hurt. But its dumb to say that sacrificing 10 scholarships so we could back door our way into the St. Petersburg Bowl was a good strategy.

I don't agree with the strategy. Just saying we don't process much

HoopsDawg
01-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Our late in the process recruiting is usually VERY weak. Chris Jones was a summer time commitment that we held onto and many will say that Leo Lewis was a private commitment to us from the time that he decommitted from Alabama prior to his senior season even though he went public to the Bears to "enjoy the fruits" of the recruiting process. This best late pull I've ever seem Mullen and crew pull of was the Jeff Simmons get last year. Not sure anyone really knew we were getting him for sure until just a week or so before signing day.

Yep, that's my concern as well. We have freed up at least 8 open scholly's for the last 3 weeks of recruiting, but this staff is not known for their ability to close. Our best recruiting is usually done over the summer. We'll see if the additional staffers will help us close. They appear to have helped us with our December group.

HSVDawg
01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't agree with the strategy. Just saying we don't process much

Agreed. And that is a problem. We are probably one of the only teams innthe division that doesn't.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2017, 11:06 AM
We rely too heavily on our camps. We're Ron Polking the hell out of recruiting.

justwin
01-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Here's the deal...

meh, this sounds like a knee jerk. Your logic makes sense, but being a West Contender has more to do with playing his best players once on campus. Dan's biggest problem isn't recruiting & he knows how the process works. Dan's biggest problem is playing the best players once they're on campus vs tenured players (J-Rob vs perk; Aeris vs Holloway; McLaurin vs Coman; D-Lee vs Shump; Quay vs Cherrington; etc).....not playing the better, more talented underclassmen, has cost him 2+ games per season...easily. When he plays the senior, the more talented guys get disinterested, understandably, and never fulfill their potential. Not saying that's his only problem, but not playing the better players earlier is the most impactful in W/L column.

What happened with Gainer & Hunt is that they came and were evaluated before their senior year. At the time, they looked to be on their way to SEC talent. Evaluation is part of recruiting. Senior year goes by and they don't progress as projected. Staff is honest with them (unlike most/all schools) and tells them where they land on the pecking order over time. Very transparent. So, both sides move on. End of the day, both of those players will land at schools they would've gone to anyway, non SEC. Had they grown or had stellar senior years, then Dan looks like a genius. Keytaeon prime example.

In terms of knowing how the recruiting process works....LSU/Bama/Auburn have institutionalized "pay for play" but not the the extreme of OM. That's how the process works...inducements. Dan is not going to cheat. Period. On top of that, he shares his home state with the most corrupt college football program, OM, in history. Think about that. He has proven he can win w/o cheating. However, he can win more often doing it HIS way if he would play ALL of the deserving underclassmen earlier in their careers. Before people say he does play young guys Simmons, consider how he doesn't play ALL of them more often like he should. We win 9 games in 2016 if Aeris & DLee were 1-2 on depth chart. Win 11+ games in 2015 if Aeris & DLee were 1-2 on depth chart.

Really Clark?
01-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Justwin, I'm not going to get in a lengthy debate but with what we know now and how little Quay understood of the scheme and playcalls, him playing over Cherryington, who actually spent some time in the league, has to be one of the worse comparisons for the playing time debate I've seen. Quay wasn't nearly as good as many think as a freshman. He was disruptive at times and made some plays but pretty quick teams just let him rush himself out of plays. Just like his life it seems, very undisplined. You don't reward that play or that player.

smootness
01-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Ross was also a great late pull. Gray was as well the year he committed out of HS, though the credit for that one goes primarily to Brewster.

Really Clark?
01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Cory Thomas flipped late

justwin
01-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Justwin, I'm not going to get in a lengthy debate but with what we know now and how little Quay understood of the scheme and playcalls, him playing over Cherryington, who actually spent some time in the league, has to be one of the worse comparisons for the playing time debate I've seen. Quay wasn't nearly as good as many think as a freshman. He was disruptive at times and made some plays but pretty quick teams just let him rush himself out of plays. Just like his life it seems, very undisplined. You don't reward that play or that player.

hindsight is 20/20. At the time, what we knew about Quay was a guy who enrolled early to get out of Morton's trappings, proceeded to get into the best shape of his life, focused, on the path of better discipline, etc. Then, plays some early his true fr year, makes plays, and then gets banished down the depth chart. Did he do everything off the field properly, probably not, but in terms of football, he should've been rewarded more early for his commitment to football. Yes, it's absolutely terrible how things ended up for him and those victims.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Ross was also a great late pull. Gray was as well the year he committed out of HS, though the credit for that one goes primarily to Brewster.

Yes, over 8 years we have pulled 4 or 5 players late, but generally, we do not close strong. Hopefully Rod Gibson, Brad Peterson, and Pat Austin will change that. Gibson did great work with the jucos and he appears to be our "in" with OT prospect, Jordan Rhodes.

msstate7
01-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Yes, over 8 years we have pulled 4 or 5 players late, but generally, we do not close strong. Hopefully Rod Gibson, Brad Peterson, and Pat Austin will change that. Gibson did great work with the jucos and he appears to be our "in" with OT prospect, Jordan Rhodes.
Rhodes' chances... >50% or >50%?

Ari Gold
01-09-2017, 01:26 PM
So most bitch when we sign project 3* with no other power 5 offers.
And the same bitch when we cut ties with project 3* with no other power 5 offers.

Common theme here is . ****ing Bitching.

StThierry
01-09-2017, 01:47 PM
And the same bitch when we cut ties with project 3* with no other power 5 offers.

This!

jumbo
01-09-2017, 03:08 PM

The bitching is because Hunt was pumped up as an under the radar sleeper guy that was going to be really good. It was Paul I believe who paraded him as a 4* talent that was being overlooked because of missing his JR year with the injury.

louisvilledawg
01-09-2017, 03:21 PM
The bitching is because Hunt was pumped up as an under the radar sleeper guy that was going to be really good. It was Paul I believe who paraded him as a 4* talent that was being overlooked because of missing his JR year with the injury.

^^^^^ THIS

All i heard on this cat was that he would have multiple SEC offers had he not torn his acl (could be wrong on the injury).

Somebody was pumping that sunshine

Really Clark?
01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

And then Hunt played his SR year and the talent didn't look as good. Don't know if or when Paul pumped him as a 4 star but do know many thought he didn't progress nearly like they wanted. But if he was saying that early in the fall, then he wasn't the only one before the season really started that he may have more potential than his rating. But things do change and you have to re-evaluate during and after the season.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2017, 03:26 PM

YEP!

BB30
01-09-2017, 03:32 PM
hindsight is 20/20. At the time, what we knew about Quay was a guy who enrolled early to get out of Morton's trappings, proceeded to get into the best shape of his life, focused, on the path of better discipline, etc. Then, plays some early his true fr year, makes plays, and then gets banished down the depth chart. Did he do everything off the field properly, probably not, but in terms of football, he should've been rewarded more early for his commitment to football. Yes, it's absolutely terrible how things ended up for him and those victims.

So... reward a kid on the football field despite the fact that he was probably not handling his business off of it? When you sign a scholarship you are expected to handle all of your business not just on the field but off as well. Quay was a terrible example and you could argue that if he had stayed we would have eventually lost him and Nick James, instead Quay leaves and Nick gets the majority of his stuff together and has a productive career for us. You start rewarding guys that aren't cutting it off the field and you will piss off a whole lot of teammates that are handling their business both on and off the field.

What is funny, out of the people you pointed out, 3 or 4 of them have had known off the field issues that have hindered their playing time. The only two that I would agree with you on are Aeris and Mclaurin. D Lee, Quay and Jrob all have had off the field issues.

So you pull 5 situations over what 7-8 years and consider that a trend?

smootness
01-09-2017, 03:35 PM
^^^^^ THIS

All i heard on this cat was that he would have multiple SEC offers had he not torn his acl (could be wrong on the injury).

Somebody was pumping that sunshine

Then your issue is with the person who was pumping the sunshine. I haven't seen anyone talk in an extended or meaningful way about Monterio Hunt.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2017, 03:35 PM

You are correct sir! I'm convinced some people are not happy unless they're not happy!

Dawg61
01-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Maybe they think they can flip Bowie and land Sanders and McMath?

Personally I think it would be better and safer overall to take some risks and then process them if they don't pan out and then take JUCO's if they don't pan out down the road. That's kind of what Alabama does except they use 4-5 star underclassmen instead of JUCO's more often than not. The reality is if we don't take some of these guys we're going to be giving their scholarships to walk-ons anyway. We'll hit a few like we did on Banks and we'll miss on more but then we have the JUCO's as a back-up.

The only question is what kind of an APR hit we would have doing that.

We have the Army All-American Bowl kicker and punter visiting. If we land both of them Chris Boniol should get a lot of credit.

It is being presented that way. I think he was probably dropped.

[QUOTE=BeastMan;683904]

The result is essentially the same in both cases.

Knee jerk reaction- I think it's better to get them on campus because then there is a better chance at retention and then possible production. If you don't get them on campus you have zero percent chance of production.

The thing about recruiting is that it is a selling job. It's one thing to flat out lie to a recruit. Like say "we at Ole Miss aren't under investigation by the NCAA". We can still tell the truth and sell recruits on the end product of what happens if they work hard and wait the two years. And I'm not saying we don't. Just that it's not cut and dried truth vs. lie.

Good post and we'll see how it plays out in the end.

To me it feels like we just don't totally grasp the recruiting process and in Dan's arrogance he just plays it off as if everything worked out like he wanted. There's a reason why he has said that recruiting is the most stressful part of his job. IF Gainer and Hunt just de-committed on their own and they were really takes- it also shows why Dan is the biggest proponent of an early signing period. And I'm speaking hypothetically here.

He was. I thought the question was just kicker in general? I may have read it wrong, but the point is Dan hasn't brought in a scholarship kicker only player since he has been here. Devon Bell did both though and lost the job but just signed a contract with the Lions.

You are correct. Of course he is a punter and I thought the original question was about scholarship place kickers.

Brauchle and Hutchins were both in Dan's first class and they were JUCO's that Croom had originally recruited and they committed while Croom was the coach I believe.

Then we had Devon Bell who did all three phases of kicking for us. He turned out to be a good kickoff/punter and is with the Lions so he turned out pretty well despite struggling at kicker.

Then we had Cooke who has been a punter mostly unless he has attempted some long field goals at some point and I just forgot about it.

That's pretty much it.

Hey Todd learn the multiple quotes button already homie so we don't got 5 Todd4State quotes in a row in every thread

louisvilledawg
01-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Then your issue is with the person who was pumping the sunshine. I haven't seen anyone talk in an extended or meaningful way about Monterio Hunt.

Valid

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-09-2017, 04:25 PM
To be fair, Hunt was the "steal of the class" at Big Dawg camp, but I can't find a single post on him since then. The recruiting thread is a great reference.