View Full Version : Cal Fires Sonny Dykes

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Interesting. Odd timing.

Chip?

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Haha. Looks like it will be Chip.

Good luck Ole Miss LOL. 2nd game of the year.

Would be a great move for Chip and Cal. No reason a guy that won at Oregon can't win at Cal where there are more local recruits

lamont
01-08-2017, 01:50 PM
got Chip Kelly written all over that

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 01:55 PM
We need to come up with some good analogies to the upcoming Wesley McGriff vs Chip Kelly battle.

David vs Goliath
Tank vs Accord
The unstoppable force vs the movable object

msstate7
01-08-2017, 01:57 PM
We need to come up with some good analogies to the upcoming Wesley McGriff vs Chip Kelly battle.

David vs Goliath
Tank vs Accord

Will Kelly have the personnel he needs to be good year 1? Dykes is an air it out guy and Kelly will want to run the bell. Does cal have a dual threat?

Entodawg
01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Nm

msbulldog
01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Good, maybe Cal will stop shopping MS for recruits.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Will Kelly have the personnel he needs to be good year 1? Dykes is an air it out guy and Kelly will want to run the bell. Does cal have a dual threat?

They've been recruiting pro style guys. Will be interesting to see if Chip can get a grad transfer or maybe the flip the Hawaiian that's committed to Bama. You'd think he could flip someone.

fader2103
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Chip said he's willing to take an OC job in the NFL. I don't think he wants back in college

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Nm

We aren't trying to hire an OC. We are trying to hire a QB coach.

If we wanted an OC, we just would've promoted Johnson.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Chip said he's willing to take an OC job in the NFL. I don't think he wants back in college

Maybe, but Cal is pretty good situation if he were to get back in.

- Doesn't have to move
- Tons of local talent
- Good facilities
- Same recruiting ground & league he coached in at Oregon
- At a school where recruiting isn't the end all be all. It's a little like a Cutcliffe to Duke type move or why Shaw doesn't leave Stanford.

Not everyone is cut out to be the head coach at Bama, LSU, USC, or Ohio State. Many times, real Xs & Os guys would just rather coach at a school in which they can do things their way & not have to worry about the pressure of winning a natty every year.

msbulldog
01-08-2017, 02:15 PM
We aren't trying to hire an OC. We are trying to hire a QB coach.

If we wanted an OC, we just would've promoted Johnson.

Gun, might of been the best thing we could have done. Give him the title and the appropriate raise. Nothing would have changed, Dan was already giving him some play calling duties and it was pretty good. We could have kept a good coach.

msbulldog
01-08-2017, 02:17 PM

I don't believe any team in the NFL wants him.

msstate7
01-08-2017, 02:20 PM
OM should fire freeze and blame everything they can on him NCAA wise and hire dykes. It could possibly lessen NCAA blow and dykes is familiar with this area.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Gun, might of been the best thing we could have done. Give him the title and the appropriate raise. Nothing would have changed, Dan was already giving him some play calling duties and it was pretty good. We could have kept a good coach.

But Hev & Billy G already have those titles. Are you demoting them?

I love when assistants go on to promotions at other programs. IMO that raises the value & perception of your program.

Just don't see losing Johnson as a big deal

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Well... this would be a total let down

Bruce Feldman
‏@BruceFeIdmanCFB
My sources are telling me that Tom Holmoe will likely resign from his position as the BYU AD to return to Cal as head coach.

msbulldog
01-08-2017, 02:24 PM
OM should fire freeze and blame everything they can on him NCAA wise and hire dykes. It could possibly lessen NCAA blow and dykes is familiar with this area.

7, probably cost Mississippi more than his buyout, he knows where the bodies are buried.

msstate7
01-08-2017, 02:26 PM
7, probably cost Mississippi more than his buyout, he knows where the bodies are buried.

He's directly named in a level 1. That could be cause, right?

blacklistedbully
01-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Dykes was lobbying for the job at Baylor. If he was hot for that job, he could be open to going to the UNM dumpster fire.

His buyout is $2 mill, and he was scheduled to make $2.35, $2.45, and $2.525 million over the next 3 years. UNM could easily pay that buyout and give him a contract offer that would save them money over what they are paying Freeze, assuming they can fire Freeze for cause.

It may well turn out better for UNM in the long run if they are about to do the above. Not likely they could get a better coach right now, given their circumstances.

msbulldog
01-08-2017, 02:47 PM
But Hev & Billy G already have those titles. Are you demoting them?

I love when assistants go on to promotions at other programs. IMO that raises the value & perception of your program.

Just don't see losing Johnson as a big deal

Yea, demote Hev. Johnson was a good coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2017, 02:48 PM
I think Chip can be patient & get a top tier job.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Absolutely, but do you think Chip wants a top tier job? Or do you think he just wants to do his thing & build Cal?

msstate7

Surely UCLA would pull the trigger now

msbulldog
He's directly named in a level 1. That could be cause, right?

You're right, but they haven't fired him yet even though they admitted to that Level 1, they're hanging onto him for a reason.

lamont
01-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Yea, demote Hev. Johnson was a good coach.

that was never going to happen.

Ari Gold
01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Chip Kelley OC at Pats once Josh McDaniels takes a head job after the Season is over
Chip = Hev when it comes to how much he likes to recruit.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Pretty odd timing to fire their coach now to get a coach that wasn't successful there before.

Really Clark?
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Chip Kelley OC at Pats once Josh McDaniels takes a head job after the Season is over
Chip = Hev when it comes to how much he likes to recruit.

That's very true but at least Hev hasn't got us on probation. So maybe edge Hev? Wait Chip got a show cause and had to leave Oregon. So that makes him better than Hev. Ha

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 03:42 PM
That's very true but at least Hev hasn't got us on probation. So maybe edge Hev? Wait Chip got a show cause and had to leave Oregon. So that makes him better than Hev. Ha

Kind of hard to get someone on probation when you don't recruit.

Ari Gold
01-08-2017, 04:06 PM
CDM needs to kick the tires of Jacob Peeler and see if there is any interest there.

Westdawg
01-08-2017, 05:09 PM
CDM needs to kick the tires of Jacob Peeler and see if there is any interest there.

Heck YES !! The guy is a bulldog. Good family. Knows MS. Is a great up and coming coach. Has done well everywhere he's been. And the fact he is from my hometown of Kosciusko just makes it all the better for me.
I would give him the TE duties and get him here asap

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Heck YES !! The guy is a bulldog. Good family. Knows MS. Is a great up and coming coach. Has done well everywhere he's been. And the fact he is from my hometown of Kosciusko just makes it all the better for me.
I would give him the TE duties and get him here asap

He's considered one of the best recruiters in the country too.

blacklistedbully
01-10-2017, 05:50 PM
RE: Peeler - UNM just hired him.

JDog13
01-10-2017, 06:11 PM

I hope they clicked an ad while reading our coach scouting reports.

RC3
01-10-2017, 06:14 PM

and has made a name for himself as a Player's coach and quality recruiter. Hate he is going to Ole Miss

edit: see that this has already been covered

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2017, 06:27 PM

David vs Goliath
Tank vs Accord

Crime dog vs Lex Luther.

msbulldog
01-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Hate that about Peeler, he reached into Mississippi and convinced some players to go to California, must be a helluva recruiter.