PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carrol... As much as some dislike him, he seems to be a players coach...

RougeDawg
01-07-2017, 11:59 PM
At all levels. This is not an easy task. He has guys playing their hearts out who make 3-5 times more than he does. It takes a special understanding and approach that to do what he does. Looks like a college team under a college coach. Other can motivate in the NFL, but you don't see the camaraderie that Seattle has.

Just an observation of an abnormality in sport

PassInterference
01-08-2017, 12:53 AM
He has off the charts leadership & interpersonal skills. He instills character. He and his team all believe in each other. He doesn't even have to discipline or correct people because he knows leaders on the team will do it.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 01:11 AM
He has off the charts leadership & interpersonal skills. He instills character. He and his team all believe in each other. He doesn't even have to discipline or correct people because he knows leaders on the team will do it.

In many ways, he is Saban, Meyer, and Belechik's arch nemesis. Achieves similar results without the Type A macho, hard ass stuff. Carroll is somewhat similar to Dabo and Joe Maddon as well. Different styles of leadership.

Dawg61
01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Pete Carroll is a 65 year old surfer hippie smacking on his gum and winning football games. His Seahawks have been fun to watch for a bunch of years now. He didn't even wanna draft Russ Wilson either. Sometimes you're just destined to be lucky I guess.

coachnorm
01-08-2017, 01:09 PM
I have talked to Pete Carroll and watched him for many years. Before I coached at Southwestern JC, I coached at Monte Vista HS. Pete and two other staff members came to Monte Vista practice twice. Because the school had D1 prospects, I received semi VIP status which started when Pete showed up the first time. Pete would watch practice and compliment the assistant coaches work. Pete knows how to win hearts and minds.

When my head coach would call USC about bringing high school players to USC practice, we were given VIP status. A team meeting at USC, under Carroll was always standing room only. Coaches and HS players were shoe horned into the meeting space. Under Pete Carroll, everybody is a somebody, everybody is seen as special. All USC practices were open to the public under Pete Carroll. After every Pete Carroll USC practice there was fellowship with the practice observers. It usually would take Carroll an hour to get off the practice field.

Pete Carroll has done the Same thing in Seattle so many people feel special there too.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I have talked to Pete Carroll and watched him for many years. Before I coached at Southwestern JC, I coached at Monte Vista HS. Pete and two other staff members came to Monte Vista practice twice. Because the school had D1 prospects, I received semi VIP status which started when Pete showed up the first time. Pete would watch practice and compliment the assistant coaches work. Pete knows how to win hearts and minds.

When my head coach would call USC about bringing high school players to USC practice, we were given VIP status. A team meeting at USC, under Carroll was always standing room only. Coaches and HS players were shoe horned into the meeting space. Under Pete Carroll, everybody is a somebody, everybody is seen as special. All USC practices were open to the public under Pete Carroll. After every Pete Carroll USC practice there was fellowship with the practice observers. It usually would take Carroll an hour to get off the practice field.

Pete Carroll has done the Same thing in Seattle so many people feel special there too.

This sounds awesome.

Just curious, with every meeting and practice open to the public, how did Carroll keep other schools from knowing the game plan or what USC was practicing?

Would love for our coaches to develop this type of culture, but am curious to the logistics of it? Thanks

coachnorm
01-08-2017, 01:41 PM
This sounds awesome.

Just curious, with every meeting and practice open to the public, how did Carroll keep other schools from knowing the game plan or what USC was practicing?

Would love for our coaches to develop this type of culture, but am curious to the logistics of it? Thanks

Security at a USC practice is about as difficult as it gets because of high rise buildings in the area. Rent out a room and observe with GoPro or just a dorm on campus? I always would think like you about this. While at USC practice, I would scan the area with practice security in mind. Adding to the issue is no indoor practice facility on campus

If you go on Google Earth and observe the file you will see every inch at USC taken, everything is crammed in.

Team meetings are different because they are indoors. The players and coaches check in before gaining access to the meetings thus no security issue.

coachnorm
01-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Hi ShotgunDawg: Thought I'd send you some post practice images of Pete Carroll team's fellowship after practice. BTW, I tried to nudge my player26442645 in the white sweater to MSU. Greg Byrne tried also. Youtube Aaron Harris, Southwestern College if interested. Cheers Norm