PDA

View Full Version : It gets forgotton, but McKinney and Brown leaving early has affected ILB play/

Bodaski
01-07-2017, 10:59 PM
I forget sometimes when I get frustrated with our inside linebackers that they both had to step up and do so without the leadership that was available in those 2 guys that left early, Benardick McKinney and Beniquize Brown. These were really good college players that we would have helped us to have been a better defensive team with those 2 guys finishing their career at MSU, instead of leaving a year to think what could have been early. Losing those guys I'm sure had an effect on being able to do certain things with them we may not have been able to do with the 2 we had to play with. Something to consider with our defense. Not making excuses, but these are the facts we had to play with.

hailstate17
01-07-2017, 11:02 PM
You can't blame BMac, he's a beast. But I never understood Brown. The guy was a really good college linebacker but unless he somehow got faster he was never going to get drafted. Wish he would've came back and enjoyed another year of football

RiverCityDawg
01-07-2017, 11:12 PM
You can't blame BMac, he's a beast. But I never understood Brown. The guy was a really good college linebacker but unless he somehow got faster he was never going to get drafted. Wish he would've came back and enjoyed another year of football

He graduated. As you said, he wasn't getting faster. He knew that, so he moved on. I stayed in college as long as I could, but some folks like to move on. Truthfully, I don't think he fit the 3-4, much like Richie. He would have played in Leo's spot and we are better off for Leo getting the snaps.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 11:12 PM
McKinney would have graduated in 2015, and wouldn't have helped us this year regardless. But I do agree overall because he would have helped out a lot in 2015 and Brown would have helped us this year.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Brown was dumb for leaving and McKinney was smart

What frustrates me is when non-top three round picks leave early and how Bama keeps 1st and 2nd rounders from leaving. Last year they kept Allen and OJ Howard, both of which could've been 1st rounders.

Just the other day, Bo Scarborough said he was returning and he's likely a 2nd round pick. Just amazing to me how they keep top 2 rounders. Makes no sense

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2017, 11:28 PM
BMac leaving early was a positive for MSU. BMac, Cox, & Chris Jones all showed what coming in putting in work can lead to leaving early & getting paid. That's great pub for the program.

RougeDawg
01-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Brown was dumb for leaving and McKinney was smart

What frustrates me is when non-top three round picks leave early and how Bama keeps 1st and 2nd rounders from leaving. Last year they kept Allen and OJ Howard, both of which could've been 1st rounders.

Just the other day, Bo Scarborough said he was returning and he's likely a 2nd round pick. Just amazing to me how they keep top 2 rounders. Makes no sense

Until someone knocks off Bama, no othwr team's players have any reason to come back if they are a top pick. Bama players can come back for another ring and still get drafted. Others, not so much. You have to take a step back and take off the Maroon glasses to understand these decisions.

Reason2succeed
01-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Until someone knocks off Bama, no othwr team's players have any reason to come back if they are a top pick. Bama players can come back for another ring and still get drafted. Others, not so much. You have to take a step back and take off the Maroon glasses to understand these decisions.

Some of the guys on this board who are the most critical of our recruiting would be the very worst recruiters themselves because they do not understand the mind of 18-22 year old players who dream of playing in the NFL.

dotcomdawg
01-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I think Brown-- had he stayed-- would have given us the leadership we lacked on the sidelines.

He graduated. As you said, he wasn't getting faster. He knew that, so he moved on. I stayed in college as long as I could, but some folks like to move on. Truthfully, I don't think he fit the 3-4, much like Richie. He would have played in Leo's spot and we are better off for Leo getting the snaps.

lamont
01-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Brown was here 4 years and got his degree. As another poster said- 9.7 out of 10 recruits dream to play in the NFL- not college. Bennie wanted his chance to make a roster.

WinningIsRelentless
01-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Bennie is a smart kid. He had his degree and knew your shelf life is short with the number of hits your body can take. Coming back was only gong to help Mississippi state, it was going to do him no good personally to come back.

fader2103
01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
I fully support players leaving as long as they have their degree in hand!

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Brown was here 4 years and got his degree. As another poster said- 9.7 out of 10 recruits dream to play in the NFL- not college. Bennie wanted his chance to make a roster.

He would've had a better chance by staying at MSU for another year. The NFL is not a developmental league. If you aren't ready to play when you get there, they get rid of you & try someone else.

My belief is that you receive quality feedback after your JR year about what you have to improve to have a chance in the NFL & then, like Dak, you spend your SR year working those things.

Outside of players that have a chance to gain significant money through the draft, I believe you are better off returning to school & refining your game as much as possible before going to the NFL.

I certainly understand the other side of the argument, but this is my opinion. Baseball is different because baseball is a developmental sport & has a developmental system in place for players to work through. College football IS the developmental system for the NFL & thus jumping from the NFL before you are completely ready is similar to a minor league baseball player jumping from Low A to the Major Leagues before he is ready.

Jarius
01-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Let's see, you can come back and work on getting your masters (for free) or you can declare early and not get drafted and not play football anywhere. Boy that's a really tough decision. B. Brown made a really stupid decision for himself and for MSU. A guy that leaves college early to play football that isn't playing football didn't make the right decision to leave early.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Here is a rule for you:

If a player graduates, his scholarship is no longer counted towards the 85 limit & thus can return to school if he isn't drafted in an acceptable spot

The system should reward players like Brown, not hurt them. Once Brown went undrafted, due to him being a graduate, it would've been cool if he had the option of returning to school.