PDA

View Full Version : Football coaching staff

msstate7
01-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Any word on what we plan to do with open spot? Is brad Peterson expected to get on field spot?

BankerDog
01-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Peterson will either be a TE coach or get his shot on the defensive side first. He was actually suppose to come on staff two years as an on field coach but something happened.

MaroonFlounder
01-07-2017, 04:01 PM
QB coach will not be decided until after the AFCA coaches convention.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Where Mullen will end up hiring the random ass dude that kisses his rear & follows him around the most.

Seriously, why does Mullen need to wait till after the convention to hire a guy? You'd think being Dan Mullen's QB coach would be a sought after position in which Dan would already have people in mind.

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Makes sense since it starts tomorrow and it's usually when we hire new coaches. BTW, Linguist will be talking on a couple of panels this week

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Where Mullen will end up hiring the random ass dude that kisses his rear & follows him around the most.

Seriously, why does Mullen need to wait till after the convention to hire a guy? You'd think being Dan Mullen's QB coach would be a sought after position in which Dan would already have people in mind.

Logistically it makes a ton of sense and it's when you see a lot of movement in the industry.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Logistically it makes a ton of sense and it's when you see a lot of movement in the industry.

You can also find a bigger pool of candidates as well.

1bigdawg
01-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Will Hevesy get a Head Coaches job somewhere. Please.

starkvegasdawg
01-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Will Hevesy get a Head Coaches job somewhere. Please.
Is there an AD trying to get himself fired?

DanDority
01-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Is there an AD trying to get himself fired?

HAHAHAHA! (Hey Hugh, Hey Hugh)! Damn, that's all I hear when looking at your avatar.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Whose the random ass dude that kissed Mullen's ass and followed him around the most that he hired before? You seriously don't understand why Mullen would wait a few days to hire a coach when he's going to a convention with hundreds of potential candidates there?

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Whose the random ass dude that kissed Mullen's ass and followed him around the most that he hired before?

Sirmon last year

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Sirmon last year

1 hire in 8 years? Jury is still out on wether Sirmon is a decent hire or not. He's got a win over Old Misses and a bowl win in his last two games so he's trending up.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 07:54 PM
1 hire in 8 years? Jury is still out on wether Sirmon is a decent hire or not. He's got a win over Old Misses and a bowl win in his last two games so he's trending up.

Here's an amazing stat to me, total combined sacks by all of our DB's: 1. In a 3-4 defense, ONE sack by all of our Safeties and Corners combined and that was mark mclaurin. watch all these other 3-4 teams and see how often they create free rushers by bringing safeties and sometimes corners. We were the least multiple and least creative 3-4 team I have ever seen. I don't think the jury is still out, but it doesn't matter what i think.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Here's an amazing stat to me, total combined sacks by all of our DB's: 1. In a 3-4 defense, ONE sack by all of our Safeties and Corners combined and that was mark mclaurin. watch all these other 3-4 teams and see how often they create free rushers by bringing safeties and sometimes corners. We were the least multiple and least creative 3-4 team I have ever seen. I don't think the jury is still out, but it doesn't matter what i think.

The only hope I think he really has at this point is he better hope those JUCO guys come in and have an impact right away. Also 14 out of our 24 sacks came in OOC play. At least Sirmon has said that we need to improve the d-line and the safeties so that tells me he at least sees the problem. It's just a matter of fixing it. My hope is that by fixing those two position groups it allows us to be more multiple and creative. I'm expecting a lot of four man rushes with seven dropping back and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

fader2103
01-07-2017, 08:00 PM

Could it be because we didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 yet? I truly believe this year will be the year to watch Sirmon, and his defense. We had a whole new defensive staff learning each other plus players who probably never been in a 3-4 system.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 08:04 PM

It does matter what you think when you bring good info like that. I am guessing the reason for that stat is Mullen's Open Sky philosophy and Sirmon is just following his boss's orders like the last 5 DC did as well. This is the shit I want forever banished from this program. I can't find the correct words to describe my dislike for this style of "defense". I'd much rather give up a big play because we are being aggressive than give up a big play because we are playing Into The Great Wide Open defense.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Could it be because we didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 yet? I truly believe this year will be the year to watch Sirmon, and his defense. We had a whole new defensive staff learning each other plus players who probably never been in a 3-4 system.

Could we not scheme a sack for Kivon Coman, Bryant, Peters, Durr, Graham, Jiles, Rayford,Smitherman or for Geri Green or Dez Harris. Just one sack for one of those guys?

Can you be considered a good coach if you can't fit your scheme to your personnel? Personally, I can't get the AU, Bama, Arkansas, or Samford performances out of my mind.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Auburn was the most frustrating game ever! Kamryn Pettway up the middle 39 times. Disgusting

http://www.warblogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/12153255.jpeg

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Our DB's had .5 sacks in 2012, 0 in 2013, 1 in 2014, 4 in 2015, and 1 this year.

The teams this year with the same number of sacks: Auburn had 1 DB sack and Arkansas had 0 DB sacks and only 2 from LB. The other 23 was from the DL.

Oh and Alabama with their 50 sacks...2.5 were from DB's. None with more than 1. Last years they had 4. Same as us. 1.5 - 2014, 1 in 2013, 5.5 in 2012, and 2.5 in 2011

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Auburn was the most frustrating game ever! Kamryn Pettway up the middle 39 times. Disgusting

http://www.warblogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/12153255.jpeg

That was a horrible game plan in the first half. One of the worst I have ever seen by a MSU d-coordinator. It was obvious to anyone we should have gone big up front, stacked the box and forced White to beat us. We just let that guy run right up the middle all day until it was over.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 08:31 PM

That's certainly part of it but at the same time there is no question in my mind we should have been better. We're kind of in a rock and a hard place with Sirmon. If we fire him, we're on DC number four in four years. And like you said we had some personnel issues and new staff that had to factor in. At the same time the game planning and adjustments were spotty at best.

My guess is even with optimal 3-4 star talent personnel for a 3-4 Sirmon would be average at best. I think his inexperience as a DC hurts him a lot as well.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 08:32 PM
That was a horrible game plan in the first half. One of the worst I have ever seen by a MSU d-coordinator. It was obvious to anyone we should have gone big up front, stacked the box and forced White to beat us. We just let that guy run right up the middle all day until it was over.

Yup you would think after 30 consecutive runs straight up your ass you'd get frustrated and atleast try stacking 9 in the box. I was frustrated after 4 runs.

BrunswickDawg
01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Our DB's had .5 sacks in 2012, 0 in 2013, 1 in 2014, 4 in 2015, and 1 this year.

The teams this year with the same number of sacks: Auburn had 1 DB sack and Arkansas had 0 DB sacks and only 2 from LB. The other 23 was from the DL.

Oh and Alabama with their 50 sacks...2.5 were from DB's. None with more than 1. Last years they had 4. Same as us. 1.5 - 2014, 1 in 2013, 5.5 in 2012, and 2.5 in 2011
Wait - are you telling me someone pulled a stat out of their ass to make us look bad when in fact it was meaningless? I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked!!**

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Wait - are you telling me someone pulled a stat out of their ass to make us look bad when in fact it was meaningless? I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked!!**

Do me a favor, how many sacks did our LB's have this year and how many does Bama have? I honestly don't know, just curious.

Jarius
01-07-2017, 08:45 PM

If our problem was that we ran a scheme that didn't fit our personnel then we really really really hired the wrong guy. Good coaches fit their scheme to the personnel, not the other way around. I think we just had a lot of Mediocre older guys with young talented players that haven't developed yet. Hopefully the influx of talent from juco will help since most of These guys have already played at the FBS level before getting to campus.

maroonmania
01-07-2017, 09:20 PM
That's certainly part of it but at the same time there is no question in my mind we should have been better. We're kind of in a rock and a hard place with Sirmon. If we fire him, we're on DC number four in four years. And like you said we had some personnel issues and new staff that had to factor in. At the same time the game planning and adjustments were spotty at best.

My guess is even with optimal 3-4 star talent personnel for a 3-4 Sirmon would be average at best. I think his inexperience as a DC hurts him a lot as well.

IMO though its actually more of a risk to keep him than change again because no first year DC that Mullen has had has put as bad a defense on the field as Sirmon did this year. Not even Carl Torbush's defense in Mullen's first year was as bad. Now the only real mitigating factor is that we did, for the first time, move to a primarily 3-4 style defense. That to me is more of an excuse than just talent because we've had other years under Mullen where we weren't overly talented on defense but weren't nearly as porous of a defense as this year. I just hope Sirmon learned a lot this year. He is the first position coach at another school to come here directly as a DC. Torbush and Diaz had already been a DC and Wilson and Collins were both co-DC here under Mullen before getting our DC gig. Plus Collins was a DC at FIU.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Wisconsin another 3-4 defense that finished 7th nationally in total defense had 1 db sack.

Fsu is a 3-4 that finished 22nd in total defense. They had 0 db sacks.

Georgia is a 3-4 defense that finished 16th in total defense. They had 4.5 db sacks.

Louisville is a 3-4 defense that finished 14th in total defense. They had 2 db sacks

Michigan is a 3-4 defense that finished 2nd in total defense. They had 2 db sacks.

I'm noticing not many db sacks by 3-4s and a good many 3-4s in the top 20 of defenses esp considering most defenses are 4-3

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 09:26 PM
IMO though its actually more of a risk to keep him than change again because no first year DC that Mullen has had has put as bad a defense on the field as Sirmon did this year. Not even Carl Torbush's defense in Mullen's first year was as bad. Now the only real mitigating factor is that we did, for the first time, move to a primarily 3-4 style defense. That to me is more of an excuse than just talent because we've had other years under Mullen where we weren't overly talented on defense but weren't nearly as porous of a defense as this year. I just hope Sirmon learned a lot this year. He is the first position coach at another school to come here directly as a DC. Torbush and Diaz had already been a DC and Wilson and Collins were both co-DC here under Mullen before getting our DC gig. Plus Collins was a DC at FIU.

It was a pretty amazing hire when you think about it. I mean we're in the SEC. We pay good money. And we hired a guy from Walla Walla with no coordinator experience, a guy who came from USC, mainly bc he and Mullen had a great talk at the coaches convention. Reminds me of Stricklin and Ray.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
It was a pretty amazing hire when you think about it. I mean we're in the SEC. We pay good money. And we hired a guy from Walla Walla with no coordinator experience, a guy who came from USC, mainly bc he and Mullen had a great talk at the coaches convention. Reminds me of Stricklin and Ray.

Or Cannizzaro as our baseball HC or dan as our HC, no?

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Wisconsin another 3-4 defense that finished 7th nationally in total defense had 1 db sack.

Georgia is a 3-4 defense that finished 16th in total defense. They had 4.5 db sacks.

Louisville is a 3-4 defense that finished 14th in total defense. They had 2 db sacks

Well, I think it's been proven my stat was meaningless. I'm still living in the past when guys like Eric Brown and Ashley Cooper were combining for double digit sacks and knocking the shit out of QBs. It appears LB sacks is a more meaningful stat in the 3-4. Our LB's had 7 sacks. Not sure how many sacks Bama or Wisconsin or UGA or those other teams had.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2017, 09:31 PM

At some point, I have to stop replying to your posts if you are this stupid. If you equate hiring Ray as the same as Canizzaro or hiring Sirmon as the same then I am wasting my time.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 09:36 PM
At some point, I have to stop replying to your posts if you are this stupid. If you equate hiring Ray as the same as Canizzaro or hiring Sirmon as the same then I am wasting my time.

I'm stupid for pointing out none of those guys had experience for the position they were hired?

msstate7
01-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Gus malzahn was hired as an OC at an sec school straight from HS

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Nobody got a Honey Badger right now?

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 09:47 PM

They did the same thing to us when Wilson ran that stupid 3-4 defense. Auburn loves them some Mississippi State 3-4 defense!!!!! Watch next year.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Nobody got a Honey Badger right now?

Apparently not... no db in top 100 of sacks. None with 6.0 sacks

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Gus malzahn was hired as an OC at an sec school straight from HS

Yea he took his coveted Springdale team with him to Arkansas when he got the OC job. He was at Arkansas for one year when they won the West with McFadden and Jones but Houston Nutt wanted to run the ball and Malzahn wanted to spread it out and throw it with Mustain and Williams his two best players he brought with him from Springdale. Weird that he has now morphed into a running coach.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Yea he took his coveted Springdale team with him to Arkansas when he got the OC job. He was at Arkansas for one year when they won the West with McFadden and Jones but Houston Nutt wanted to run the ball and Malzahn wanted to spread it out and throw it with Mustain and Williams his two best players he brought with him from Springdale. Weird that he has now morphed into a running coach.

That's not the complete story. Malzahn was running the wildcat with McFadden and the other RB. Nutt hated the wildcat. You could see how conservative Nutt was when he took over the play calling.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Apparently not... no db in top 100 of sacks. None with 6.0 sacks

There's 1 in the top 100 in the NFL too. Apparently nobody in football blitzes their DBs.

maroonmania
01-07-2017, 10:05 PM
I'm stupid for pointing out none of those guys had experience for the position they were hired?

Well, for one thing Canny and Mullen were already coaching in the SEC. BUT, its always more of a risk to hire a guy for a position he has no experience in. For example, in our last 4 football coaches we had Felker as a failure and Croom as a failure (both had never been a HC) while Sherrill was a success. Mullen has worked out and I'm glad but he was more of a risk than Sherrill was when hired. Now, back to Sirmon, he came out of the PAC 12 where very little defense is played and while it was a very risky hire to begin with given essentially no DC experience we also now have a year of bad results to boot. Its extremely risky in my view to stay the course but that is what we are doing so I sure hope it works out.

Dawg61
01-07-2017, 10:12 PM
That's not the complete story. Malzahn was running the wildcat with McFadden and the other RB. Nutt hated the wildcat. You could see how conservative Nutt was when he took over the play calling.

That Arkansas team running the Wildcat with McFadden and Jones the high school sweethearts from Springdale along with the cartoon characters Houston Nutt and Gus Malzahn on the sideline is one of the most entertaining teams of all-time.

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 10:23 PM
What I kind of dislike is how many credit it to Malzhan and Nutt. And they kind of played it up during that time. It's freaking called the Wildcat because of Kansas St's Bill Snyder and Del Miller running and added a lot of development in the 90's and early 2000's. Which they took from the old single wing Dual formation.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 10:25 PM
That Arkansas team running the Wildcat with McFadden and Jones the high school sweethearts from Springdale along with the cartoon characters Houston Nutt and Gus Malzahn on the sideline is one of the most entertaining teams of all-time.

Yes it was. Very entertaining!!

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 10:26 PM
What I kind of dislike is how many credit it to Malzhan and Nutt. And they kind of played it up during that time. It's freaking called the Wildcat because of Kansas St's Bill Snyder and Del Miller running and added a lot of development in the 90's and early 2000's. Which they took from the old single wing Dual formation.
JWS did it here in the early 90's.

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Someone correct me, but I think he got it from Snyder who did it with Bishop in like 1998 and we didn't run it until early 2000-2001.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 10:45 PM

Well early 2000's. The wild Sparky. The first time we ran it was against Arkansas if I remember correctly.

Wonder where Nutt got that idea from?**

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 10:46 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Well early 2000's. The wild Sparky. The first time we ran it was against Arkansas if I remember correctly.

Wonder where Nutt got that idea from?**

Y'all may be right. I'm gettin old. My 1st year at State was JWS's first season. I could have sworn we ran it earlier than 2000 but I'm probably wrong.

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that.

Yeah that always did bother me.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Y'all may be right. I'm gettin old. My 1st year at State was JWS's first season. I could have sworn we ran it earlier than 2000 but I'm probably wrong.

Now that you mention it we did have some designed running plays for Bernard Euell in 1993 after Jordan got hurt and Taite, Plump, and Hudson got arrested. I can't remember if it was wildcat or not though.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 12:21 AM

That's what worries me about Sirmon. There is enough there that I know it shouldn't be as bad as it is. And why while I honestly hope it works out I have a feeling it ultimately won't.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 12:23 AM

Michigan is a 3-4 defense that finished 2nd in total defense. They had 2 db sacks.

I'm noticing not many db sacks by 3-4s and a good many 3-4s in the top 20 of defenses esp considering most defenses are 4-3

I think 3-4 defenses are going to be the current trend but it will go back to 4-3's in a few years.

Todd4State
01-08-2017, 12:26 AM

Experience is always preferred. Jury is still out on Cannizzaro as impressive as he appears- remember we were also impressed with Sirmon at one point as well. Dan certainly has his flaws as well that make me wonder if we would have hired him if they were made known 10 years ago. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But if it doesn't it looks like a really bad decision.

Dawgfan01
01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

This 3-4 crap will never work. We never put pressure on the qb all year. Secondary is never going to be great unless they get some help up front. We were the worst tackling team is saw this year that has nothing to do with scheme

Ari Gold
01-08-2017, 06:43 PM
This 3-4 crap will never work. We never put pressure on the qb all year. Secondary is never going to be great unless they get some help up front. We were the worst tackling team is saw this year that has nothing to do with scheme

Sweat, Rivers, Spencer, Thomas, Simmons, Autry, Pope, Kobe Jones, Adams,
That's 9 guys that are the best we have had here since the JWS years.
The talent we be there up front to make a difference.

Reason2succeed
01-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Any chance Sirmon gets picked up by an NFL staff?

RocketDawg
01-08-2017, 07:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that makes you one of the youngest on the board ....

Reunion Dog
01-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Bernard Euell played QB for us in Tuscalousa that Saturday. Didn't do a bad job...

Todd4State
01-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Any chance Sirmon gets picked up by an NFL staff?

A couple of message boards have said that he might end up at Colorado. No idea how credible.

State82
01-09-2017, 01:58 PM
A couple of message boards have said that he might end up at Colorado. No idea how credible.

Wonder if they are in the market for an OL coach also?

NCDawg
01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Wonder if they are in the market for an OL coach also?

No such luck. It would break Mullen's heart to see his buddy go.

BB30
01-09-2017, 03:15 PM
It is kind of funny, several people on here complained about a lack of recruiters on staff so we add several including Sirmon and now we are complaining because he had a tough first year switching to a 3-4 which requires some completely different personnel. If he happens to bomb it this year then he needs to go. But like anything whether it is switching a large corporation to new ownership or new comp systems you are going to have glitches and hiccups. We had to find an entirely new defensive staff that had never coached together before and switch defenses, I think the guy deserves one more season before we go through that all over again.