PDA

View Full Version : Mr Not a Fan podcast

BhamBully
01-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Don't know if anyone else listened to the rebel grove podcast, but they had Walter Hughes on and it was very interesting how the spin is beginning.

1. The guy lost all credibility when he tried to throw Will Redmond and his used mustang around. Don't forget, Yancy was hinting that they had a legitimate shot to get Redmond when he was suspended and wasn't real happy. I am sure he and Walter were in cahoots on this one.

2. One part of the interview that really didn't pass the smell test with me was that Hughes kept referring to his love for ole miss baseball and the amount of talent at games, referring to co-eds. they completely avoided talking about football games and purchasing of tickets for those.

3. What completely blew his credibility with me was that he was talking about the famous Birmingham bowl trip when he brought recruits to the game, fed them, gave them a hotel and no telling what else.
He referenced ole miss coaches and that the kids didn't go to the game because they wanted to stay in the room and watch the under armor game. Well, the under armor game was on January 4 and the Birmingham bowl was on January 5th. Something don't add up here

Their new spin is coming, WE ARE JUST TRYING TO HELP THESE POOR UNDERPRIVILEGED KIDS WITH NO FATHER FIGURES, blah, blah, blah

Btw, does anyone know his line of work. He also claimed to be broke

shannondawg
01-07-2017, 09:57 AM
For those like me that didn't remember Walter Hughes. I googled him up.

http://djournal.com/sports/memphis-booster-tells-side-story/

BeastMan
01-07-2017, 10:04 AM
I listened and had a few observations on Walter Hughes. He gave his side of the story which is pollyanna. He portrays himself as a guy who solely wants to help kids and be involved with FCA. I don't doubt that he has a heart for the kids and does what he can to help them but he doesn't discuss a few things from OM's response that portray things differently. First and foremost, in OM's response, they say that OM compliance asked him to stop having contact with OM recruits and he did not. Had he done what his own compliance dept had asked, he'd be fine. The 2nd big part the didn't discuss was being present for an in-home with Freeze. Even if he did absolutely nothing wrong and was there only for moral support, the presence of a booster on an in-home is a HUGE no no. It just cannot happen and the coaches know that.

Overall Hughes sound like a good dude who inadvertently got himself too deep. However, there were 2 comments he made that kind of make you scratch your head. One was how he essentially blamed the genesis of these troubles on the kid for tweeting out a pic of gloves and a shirt and thanking him. Hughes said you have to be careful what you tweet like it was the kid's fault. The other thing was a comment about his baseball season tickets. They were discussing how he is no longer allowed to have season tickets and how much he loved baseball and he says, "I wish a magic genie would buy me 2 baseball season tickets and give them to me." At that point I came to the conclusion that Walter doesn't get it. Let me tell y'all something, there are disassociated boosters in every SEC program that have season tickets purchased in the name of another booster. What these guys don't do is publicly state that they still have season tickets.

I cannot imagine the Ole Miss administration is happy with a lot of things Walter said in that interview. In a nutshell he said that he's going to keep doing what he's doing, he's the victim, and he wants to continue to be around OM athletics. I'm sure those quotes will play well during the COI hearing when Bjork is arguing that he's putting an end to everything and moving on.

The biggest thing from the podcast is what Neal and Chase say from the 73-80 minute mark. Neal says has always thought OM was going to get hit hard but now he thinks its going to be really bad. There has been an anonymous tip from the 2013 class that has the NCAA coming back to OM's campus in the near future. I think that Neal thinks that the NCAA now has the smoking gun they need. That's the way it comes off to me.

Lastly, Jay Tate was on who is always a great guest. He covers Auburn and is hilarious. He did say one thing that was downright laughable and that was that he thinks that Cam Newton came to Auburn for free and no money changed hands. While I like Jay, does he not know that the NCAA had to change a rule because of a loophole from that case? Cecil got paid but Cam was able to dodge that bullet because they argued Cam didn't know Cecil got paid. Plausible deniability. That defense will no longer work. Any reasonable human being with a basic understanding of that ordeal should come away with the conclusion that Cecil had his hand out and took money from everybody he could along the way.

BeastMan
01-07-2017, 10:10 AM
One last thing that needs to be said. If you're wondering why Neal didn't ask tougher questions that might have put Hughes more on the spot you need to remember how Neal treated Coach34 when he went on the podcast. Neal is professional to his guest and isn't going to jump all over them or put them in bad spots. If he wouldn't do that to C34, he ain't gonna do it to an OM booster either.

Bully13
01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Good stuff in this thread. Thanks guys.

BhamBully
01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
One other question he didn't answer was, how did he get to know Coach Harris? Did Walter have the same admiration for the Arkansas coaches? I love how he had to throw that in there too regarding buying an Arkansas sweatshirt. Honestly, the guy reminds me of a better polished Byron Devinner

Political Hack
01-07-2017, 10:24 AM
The other thing was a comment about his baseball season tickets. They were discussing how he is no longer allowed to have season tickets and how much he loved baseball and he says, "I wish a magic genie would buy me 2 baseball season tickets and give them to me." At that point I came to the conclusion that Walter doesn't get it. Let me tell y'all something, there are disassociated boosters in every SEC program that have season tickets purchased in the name of another booster. What these guys don't do is publicly state that they have season tickets still have them.

Scandalous.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
I cannot imagine the Ole Miss administration is happy with a lot of things Walter said in that interview. In a nutshell he said that he's going to keep doing what he's doing, he's the victim, and he wants to continue to be around OM athletics. I'm sure those quotes will play well during the COI hearing when Bjork is arguing that he's putting an end to everything and moving on.

This is the meat sandwich to the entire situation IMO & something the NCAA & COI will have to hash out.

There is a repeated pattern developing of OM people just not getting it. There is culture of "not getting it" & the NCAA will have to address that.

Sure, the NCAA can & will give OM sanctions as punishment, but that doesn't do much to solve the problem of their fans just not getting it. This is absolute LOIC in every sense of the phrase. At this point, unless the NCAA absolutely destroys the program, they are just going to start cheating again immediately following the sanctions. This institution has absolutely no intent or desire to not cheat.

How does the NCAA handle that? We have a clear pattern developing here

confucius say
01-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Cecil the reverend admitted to being crooked. Whole situation still pisses me off.

And Good analysis beastman.

Westdawg
01-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Ole Walter has been doing this dance for a while. He is a true OM wall buster. He gets in close to a lot of the prospects in the Midsouth area and then pushes the ones who are really good towards OM, and often at the very least stays real close to them to help give OM a better in-road. And he's right in that most of these kids never get anything in life....which is why him buying them things like he does is even more effective in their recruiting process. Throw kids like that just a little bit and they are enamored and loyal. And Walter Hughes is one of MANY in/around Memphis. Didn't like that crew when I coached there and it hasn't gotten better since I left 8yrs ago

starkvegasdawg
01-07-2017, 11:14 AM
This is the meat sandwich to the entire situation IMO & something the NCAA & COI will have to hash out.

There is a repeated pattern developing of OM people just not getting it. There is culture of "not getting it" & the NCAA will have to address that.

Sure, the NCAA can & will give OM sanctions as punishment, but that doesn't do much to solve the problem of their fans just not getting it. This is absolute LOIC in every sense of the phrase. At this point, unless the NCAA absolutely destroys the program, they are just going to start cheating again immediately following the sanctions. This institution has absolutely no intent or desire to not cheat.

They need to take him out in an RV and throw an ax out and have him retrieve it and then tell him to cut his son's arm off.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
I listened and had a few observations on Walter Hughes. He gave his side of the story which is pollyanna. He portrays himself as a guy who solely wants to help kids and be involved with FCA. I don't doubt that he has a heart for the kids and does what he can to help them but he doesn't discuss a few things from OM's response that portray things differently. First and foremost, in OM's response, they say that OM compliance asked him to stop having contact with OM recruits and he did not. Had he done what his own compliance dept had asked, he'd be fine. The 2nd big part the didn't discuss was being present for an in-home with Freeze. Even if he did absolutely nothing wrong and was there only for moral support, the presence of a booster on an in-home is a HUGE no no. It just cannot happen and the coaches know that.

Overall Hughes sound like a good dude who inadvertently got himself too deep. However, there were 2 comments he made that kind of make you scratch your head. One was how he essentially blamed the genesis of these troubles on the kid for tweeting out a pic of gloves and a shirt and thanking him. Hughes said you have to be careful what you tweet like it was the kid's fault. The other thing was a comment about his baseball season tickets. They were discussing how he is no longer allowed to have season tickets and how much he loved baseball and he says, "I wish a magic genie would buy me 2 baseball season tickets and give them to me." At that point I came to the conclusion that Walter doesn't get it. Let me tell y'all something, there are disassociated boosters in every SEC program that have season tickets purchased in the name of another booster. What these guys don't do is publicly state that they still have season tickets.

The biggest thing from the podcast is what Neal and Chase say from the 73-80 minute mark. Neal says has always thought OM was going to get hit hard but now he thinks its going to be really bad. There has been an anonymous tip from the 2013 class that has the NCAA coming back to OM's campus in the near future. I think that Neal thinks that the NCAA now has the smoking gun they need. That's the way it comes off to me.

Lastly, Jay Tate was on who is always a great guest. He covers Auburn and is hilarious. He did say one thing that was downright laughable and that was that he thinks that Cam Newton came to Auburn for free and no money changed hands. While I like Jay, does he not know that the NCAA had to change a rule because of a loophole from that case? Cecil got paid but Cam was able to dodge that bullet because they argued Cam didn't know Cecil got paid. Plausible deniability. That defense will no longer work. Any reasonable human being with a basic understanding of that ordeal should come away with the conclusion that Cecil had his hand out and took money from everybody he could along the way.

I don't think that's correct on the Cam Newton deal. Unless I remember wrong, the NCAA proved that Cecil asked MSU for money. They said Cam didn't know and that's where the rule change came in. There has never been any proof that Cecil was paid by Auburn. Again, I could be remembering wrong but I don't think so.

BeastMan
01-07-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't think that's correct on the Cam Newton deal. Unless I remember wrong, the NCAA proved that Cecil asked MSU for money. They said Cam didn't know and that's where the rule change came in. There has never been any proof that Cecil was paid by Auburn. Again, I could be remembering wrong but I don't think so.

Read the last sentence of my post

Political Hack
01-07-2017, 11:50 AM

The $ allegedly went to resurrecting a failing church, but that's just the rumor mill. I forget where it was (GA or AL) but I've actually seen pictures of the church that allegedly received the money. No way to tell if that's true or not though. There was also reportedly a call placed to a member of the MSU family where Mr. Plausible Deniability himself was quoted as saying "the money is just too much." Sort of throws their story out the window, but the NCAA apparently bought it.

gtowndawg
01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I've said it before, but I'm exactly what this guy is here in Memphis. A volunteer FCA rep for an inner city football team.

With that said, I have NO idea how this guy got this deep. None. In 6 years I've never spoken to any college coach, much less a Mississippi State coach. This guy was either lead down the path - advised by someone if you will, or he worked HARD to figure it out himself. Point being, in my expierience, there's no way you could just accidently get that deep, none at all. FCA hammers home the point your job is to encourage the kids and be a spiritual mentor as best you can and that's all. Trust me, the whole thing is 100% shady.

I seen it dawg
01-07-2017, 11:55 AM
**** those shitbirds

Political Hack
01-07-2017, 12:30 PM
I've said it before, but I'm exactly what this guy is here in Memphis. A volunteer FCA rep for an inner city football team.

With that said, I have NO idea how this guy got this deep. None. In 6 years I've never spoken to any college coach, much less a Mississippi State coach. This guy was either lead down the path - advised by someone if you will, or he worked HARD to figure it out himself. Point being, in my expierience, there's no way you could just accidently get that deep, none at all. FCA hammers home the point your job is to encourage the kids and be a spiritual mentor as best you can and that's all. Trust me, the whole thing is 100% shady.

He was in Freeze's home. He was asked to help and he did. Period.

lamont
01-07-2017, 12:40 PM
He was in Freeze's home. He was asked to help and he did. Period.

Booster + recruits + head coach. Thats a clear violation and will be dealt with extremely harsh.

OM is trying their ass off to spin this guy as something else because if the NCAA doesnt buy what they are selling- they are ****ed

Thats all this dog and pony show is on this one particular violation

Liverpooldawg
01-07-2017, 12:55 PM

It's NOT lack of institutional control. It's institutionally controlled and coordinated cheating on an industrial scale.

MedDawg
01-07-2017, 01:16 PM
For those like me that didn't remember Walter Hughes. I googled him up.

http://djournal.com/sports/memphis-booster-tells-side-story/

While we're on the subject, I also believe Parrish Alford is part of the machine. No way he writes that stuff just because he's the OM beat writer or even because he's an OM fan. He's way past OM apologist status. He's usually one of the first to put out the stories "from OM sources" that turned out to be lies.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Read the last sentence of my post

I agree with that last sentence, and of course auburn paid him. But you said they argued that Cam didn't know Cecil got paid. That's not what happened. They argued that Cam didn't know anything about Cecil "asking MSU boosters for money".

LC Dawg
01-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Everyone I've ever met that was associated with FCA has been on the up and up. It seems like the FCA would want to distance themselves from Hughes. I'm sure they don't like FCA mentioned every time this topic is brought up.

Jarius
01-07-2017, 06:29 PM
You guys have no Clue what you're talking about. Ole Miss is going to sue the NCAA guys! They are bringing down the corrupt NCAA! We are the ones really in trouble because they have a super secret tape of Leo Lewis.

Really Clark?
01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
You guys have no Clue what you're talking about. Ole Miss is going to sue the NCAA guys! They are bringing down the corrupt NCAA! We are the ones really in trouble because they have a super secret tape of Leo Lewis.

What's funny is the number of their fans who really believe that. And with all that's in me, please please sue the NCAA. I'm begging y'all to sue. You might win***

Uncivilengineer
01-07-2017, 06:44 PM
No, you are wrong. They won't need to sue the NCAA because they have nothing on them. They are dragging out this investigation this long because they haven't found anything yet. **

**8 level ones.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 07:52 PM

I think the FCA is an awesome organization and I commend people like you that are actually in it for the right reason- to help lead athletes to Christ.

That said, I don't think it takes very much to become involved with Ole Miss football. Look at how many people they give sideline passes to for every game. All he had to do and probably did- is go up to an Ole Miss assistant football coach at some alumni function and tell him that he had a legitimate connection to some prospect or prospects and could help Ole Miss out and was willing to do so in any way. The fact that he is involved in a Christian organization is even better because Jesus is one of their most favorite cover ups for any wrong doing. Which is completely sad.

Once he proved himself by helping land a prospect he probably went up through the Network from there. Apparently the highest you can go is whatever position Barney had. It's sort of like the mafia. And ironically- Scientology.

What Hughes was talking about is typical Ole Miss Network speak- "We do what we do to "help" these kids because we really, really care about them". And then they tell everyone what a good Christian they are. If he really cares about the kids, why isn't he trying to get LeAndre Thomas from Wingfield to Ole Miss? It's because they only care if you are a 4-5 star recruit. The fact of the matter is what is really best for the players would be to go somewhere that they could actually get developed and go to the NFL. And that's not Ole Miss.

They've been doing this for YEARS. See Oher. That's why Tony Dungy is their most ideal head coach. Christian coach with an legit NFL background and a connection to the Manning's. That way it's hard to scrutinize why a random 4-5 star recruit would choose Ole Miss. Unfortunately for them they ended up with Hugh Swaggert.

The really sad thing is once these kids flame out, Ole Miss will have ZERO to do with them unless they end up like Deuce or Eli. I don't think we're going to see Nkemdiche and Treadwell roaming their sidelines anytime soon.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 07:53 PM
What's funny is the number of their fans who really believe that. And with all that's in me, please please sue the NCAA. I'm begging y'all to sue. You might win***

Because that's their only slim ray of sunshine that things might be alright. And as far as suing the NCAA- I think we all would like to see that.