PDA

View Full Version : All Players Showed Up for Today's Team Meeting

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2017, 07:39 PM
That's the word.

So, unless a transfer has already been announced, everyone else will be here till at least after Spring.

My guess is that we'll have either have a RB after Spring or RB or RBs move to other positions.

Reason2succeed
01-06-2017, 07:53 PM
List?

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 07:56 PM
I think it's going to be a really interesting spring. I wonder if we will have more attrition coming after spring ball.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2017, 08:01 PM
I think it's going to be a really interesting spring. I wonder if we will have more attrition coming after spring ball.

Maybe, but at least this shows that some guys didn't take their ball and go home and show a preference of trying to succeed at MSU first

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Maybe, but at least this shows that some guys didn't take their ball and go home and show a preference of trying to succeed at MSU first

I agree. And finishing the year strong like we did has to be good for morale. Dan said he is going to be harder on the team this year and I want to see how that plays out. That's also good news for is if he follows through like I think he will.

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 08:53 PM
The movie Major Leauge just popped in my head. Thinking about everyone being invited and showing up to training camp.

Bothrops
01-06-2017, 08:54 PM

We usually do

lamont
01-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Surprised Gibson is back- something to watch thru Spring and into the summer sessions

bulldawg28
01-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Surprised Gibson is back- something to watch thru Spring and into the summer sessions

Why? He's 2nd team.

defiantdog
01-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Eh..... we'll see what happens. Some players are being asked to switch positions, another is shopping other schools without telling the staff.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Eh..... we'll see what happens. Some players are being asked to switch positions, another is shopping other schools without telling the staff.

Tell us details

lamont
01-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Why? He's 2nd team.

"Some players are being asked to switch positions, another is shopping other schools without telling the staff."

Political Hack
01-06-2017, 10:45 PM
It'll play out. No reason to get worked up. Happens every year.

I'm excited about spring. Some new young guys get the chance to step up. Fitz can take control of the team without a QB controversy. Get to see KT play in the spring game! It's gonna be a great spent between all that and the baseball team being competitive.

bulldawg28
01-07-2017, 05:12 AM
"Some players are being asked to switch positions, another is shopping other schools without telling the staff."

Hmmm.....The schools he's shopping to have told the board but not MSU coaches which would have to release him?

basedog
01-07-2017, 07:09 AM
Hmmm.....The schools he's shopping to have told the board but not MSU coaches which would have to release him?

Weii they probably know now, wonder what IYOK has to say?

Leroy Jenkins
01-07-2017, 07:32 AM
The smart monkey does not let go of the vine until he has a hold on the next one.

Tbonewannabe
01-07-2017, 08:45 AM

It would be disappointing if the first guy to wear 21 since Kieffer left after 1 year.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 08:47 AM
It would be disappointing if the first guy to wear 21 since Kieffer left after 1 year.

Yeah, he's in line to get a bunch of carries this fall. Aeris is certainly top dog, but we spread it around with RBs

Jack Lambert
01-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Does Bama have a lot transfer out? You would think they would because they have a lot of guys who could start somewhere else.

You figure with 15 five stars and 37 four stars someone would say screw it I am out.

lamont
01-07-2017, 10:21 AM
The smart monkey does not let go of the vine until he has a hold on the next one.

bingo

lamont
01-07-2017, 10:24 AM

depends where a kid transfers too. Going D-II or Juco doesnt need a release from the coaches

msstate7
01-07-2017, 10:25 AM
depends where a kid transfers too. Going D-II or Juco doesnt need a release from the coaches

So, he's shopping JUCOs and D2 schools? Get out of here.

Tell ya what, let's make a bet... if Gibson is on miss state for game 1, you can't post first 2 weeks of season. If he isn't on team, I won't post first 2 months of season

lamont
01-07-2017, 10:37 AM
So, he's shopping JUCOs and D2 schools? Get out of here.

Tell ya what, let's make a bet... if Gibson is on miss state for game 1, you can't post first 2 weeks of season. If he isn't on team, I won't post first 2 months of season

No back-ups have ever gone to a juco to showcase- and then sign with another D-1 have they? Do some of you ever learn? Werent you one of the ones that told me no way Staley was going to a juco?

All I'm saying is the situation is something to watch. Sometimes guys look around, dont see anything they like, and report back for team meetings to let things play out longer. And things work themselves out. Sometimes they dont. We'll see what happens

turkish
01-07-2017, 10:40 AM
The implication that coaches are oblivious to this is laughable but not surprising. Gotta feed that ego.

basedog
01-07-2017, 10:49 AM
No back-ups have ever gone to a juco to showcase- and then sign with another D-1 have they? Do some of you ever learn? Werent you one of the ones that told me no way Staley was going to a juco?

All I'm saying is the situation is something to watch. Sometimes guys look around, dont see anything they like, and report back for team meetings to let things play out longer. And things work themselves out. Sometimes they dont. We'll see what happens

I somewhat agree, if he is thinking about leaving maybe he is waiting to see what happens in spring practice, makes no difference leaving today or in May. Pretty sure the coaches have talked to him and everyone else what is expected of them for spring as well as next year.

In today's times players come and go way more than the last decade or so.

msstate7
01-07-2017, 10:51 AM

We're talking about a back up RB though. Here's the split of carries between our top 3 RBs this year...

Shump -- 55
Holloway -- 50
Aeris -- 137

Among our RBs, Williams was the leader in yards per attempt. He will take up the bulk of shump and Holloway's next year.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2017, 11:04 AM
This kind of reminds me of Fred Ross following his FR year. There were rumors of him not being happy, looking to leave, etc.. & it all worked out. I think 4 star recruits can be sold on redshirting as a way of not wasting a year & developing into their bodies, but I think redshirting + not playing much their RS FR year is a hit to their ego.

I actually like that Gibson desires to play so much that he's looking around. I believe if he takes that same desperation to the field in the Spring, he'll end up putting himself in a position to get significant carries in the Fall. Who knows, he may be more physically talented than Aeris.

I would always rather have players that can't stand not playing rather than the alternative.

I realize this may come across as a "maroon colored glasses" view on things, but this is how competition works. I only wish we had this problem at safety. Competition is not harmonious, but it does cause the cream to rise to the top & ultimately makes for a better team. Contrary to popular belief, I sincerely believe that our coaches play the players that they truly believe give them the best chance to win. I've often questioned why some guys are playing over others, but, ultimately, when you really think about it, it's an irrational question, because when you question that, you are making an assumption that you know more than the coaches, and/or they aren't doing everything in their power to win games. Both of which aren't likely true. Sure, you may be right every once in a while, but it's probably mostly luck

HSVDawg
01-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Shopping schools without telling the staff? I think just saying "shopping schools" would be sufficient. Probably 95% of kids who explore transferring don't tell the staff they are looking around, and most of the other 5% already have their mind made up. Would you tell your employer that you are out looking for other jobs?

Cooterpoot
01-07-2017, 11:39 AM
I hope everyone that isn't happy leaves. We dealt with malcontents and bad atittudes too much this year. With Hill coming in, they're all dropping a spot anyway in another year. We need a primary, a backup and 3rd down type guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
I expect Nick Gibson to be in maroon & white the 1st game of the season.

BankerDog
01-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Random, weren't you saying before the bowl game Nick James was ineligible as was Wyatt Roberts? Those turned out to be wrong. I would be skeptical of whoever is telling you this. Gip is the second best back on the team, don't start rumors about that. At least wait and hold off on them

basedog
01-07-2017, 12:26 PM
I expect Nick Gibson to be in maroon & white the 1st game of the season.

Thanks Dan, better tell Gibs to get ready cause Hill looks pretty dang good!

lamont
01-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Random, weren't you saying before the bowl game Nick James was ineligible as was Wyatt Roberts? Those turned out to be wrong. I would be skeptical of whoever is telling you this. Gip is the second best back on the team, don't start rumors about that. At least wait and hold off on them

We'll see. I like Gibson as well at RB. Hope he stays

HSVDawg
01-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Regarding Staley, I don't think anyone said he 100% wouldn't go to JUCO, just that it wasn't likely because it would be a mind numbingly terrible decision if he did. And it was. He wasted a year of eligibility and still ended up at an FCS school that he could have transferred straight into without sitting out. But, sometimes people take bad advice I guess.