PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keeping up with the Georgia kicker drama?

gtowndawg
01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Mullen needs to get on this guy!

http://www.11alive.com/sports/uga-kickers-father-rips-kirby-smart-about-lack-of-scholarship/382554497

Apparently the kid has come out now and told the Dad to basically shut up, you're not helping. Sounds like the whole family is different. If you recall, it's the same kicker that did his interviews with his helmet on.

louisvilledawg
01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/38c399bc791d4cb6d09c7e445fe06344/raw

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
****ing kickers

sleepy dawg
01-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Does anyone else find it amusing that his dad's name is ken blankenship?

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 02:33 PM
If he's not on scholarship shouldn't that mean he doesn't have to sit out a year for transferring? Sign this guy up yesterday.

preachermatt83
01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Offer him a full scholarship right now!!!!

BB30
01-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Slightly ridiculous, the guy chose to walk on. If he wanted school paid for he should have gone somewhere else. The dad bitching is absolutely mind blowing. This is not kids travel ball, parents shouldn't do this in high school much less college.

Not a knock on the kid as it seems he doesn't approve of parents doing this. More or less a knock on the parents. Once parents learn to stay out of sporting events their kids are involved in and just be a fan the world will be a better place.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Slightly ridiculous, the guy chose to walk on. If he wanted school paid for he should have gone somewhere else. The dad bitching is absolutely mind blowing. This is not kids travel ball, parents shouldn't do this in high school much less college.

Not a knock on the kid as it seems he doesn't approve of parents doing this. More or less a knock on the parents. Once parents learn to stay out of sporting events their kids are involved in and just be a fan the world will be a better place.

So his parents and he should just pay $30,000 a year while other players that haven't played a snap get free tuition? I could understand that if his family could afford it but they clearly can't and by his dad doing this it's probably going to end up with him getting a scholarship somewhere. We'll give him two scholarships if he'll accept them.

louisvilledawg
01-06-2017, 03:22 PM
So his parents and he should just pay $30,000 a year while other players that haven't played a snap get free tuition? I could understand that if his family could afford it but they clearly can't and by his dad doing this it's probably going to end up with him getting a scholarship somewhere. We'll give him two scholarships if he'll accept them.

Probably shouldn't have signed up to be a walk-on then.

Past performance is no indicator of future results. I have no problem with it. I definitely wouldn't cave to his dad either (although i'll bet they will)

dawgoneyall
01-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Was one scholly worth two more victories this year?

TUSK
01-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Sounds like somebody didn't get a Participation Trophy...

This makes me sad.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Was one scholly worth two more victories this year?

Yea and we didn't come close to using all 85 allotments so a good kicker was actually worth like ten scholarships for us this year. We probably win 3 more games with this guy kicking for us over Graves.

smootness
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Sure, since that was what was offered when they agreed. They're free to transfer if they want a scholarship, just like they were free to accept any actual scholarship offers while he was being recruited. It's not like anything's been taken away. You were a walk-on, you're still a walk-on. If Smart has never considered giving him a scholarship, so what? Again, that was the agreement originally - no scholarship.

FWIW, I have first-hand experience that the kid is a bit weird and the dad is pretty nuts.

Virgil Caine
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Probably shouldn't have signed up to be a walk-on then.

Past performance is no indicator of future results. I have no problem with it. I definitely wouldn't cave to his dad either (although i'll bet they will)
That's just not true.

TUSK
01-06-2017, 03:45 PM
That's just not true.

I think he meant "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Virgil Caine
01-06-2017, 03:59 PM
I think he meant "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Well for sure, but then he's just relying on a cliche. The kid was pretty damn reliable this year. Obviously there's no guarantee that he'll be good next year, but there's a pretty darn good chance.

tireddawg
01-06-2017, 04:15 PM
I could see his Dad speaking privately to school officials, but a public email is a bit too much. It actually may get the him a scholly or at least some money for school, but still not the way to handle it.

TUSK
01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
It's much ado bout nuthin...

The kid may get a skolly Kirby has resolved more immediate needs...

Bama didn't offer ST type guys (IIRC) until they had depth everywhere... now, Snappers and Kickers get full rides...

gtowndawg
01-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Possibly handled wrong, but the Dad has a case. Somewhere in his email he says something like the holder, the back up holder, the long snapper, the punter, the backup punter and the other kicker are all on scholly (or something like that). Some of which do not play or they are injured and can't play and none of them have literally won games for Georgia.

Bottom line: WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON MULLEN!!

smootness
01-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Possibly handled wrong, but the Dad has a case. Somewhere in his email he says something like the holder, the back up holder, the long snapper, the punter, the backup punter and the other kicker are all on scholly (or something like that). Some of which do not play or they are injured and can't play and none of them have literally won games for Georgia.

Bottom line: WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON MULLEN!!

His dad is a whack job. And no, he didn't mention anything about specific positions. He just said people who hadn't played were on scholarship. Which, yeah, of course they were. Does the dad want Smart to remove a scholarship from a player who was promised on just to give one to his son, who wasn't? The dad does not have a point.

ScottH
01-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Didn't this guy consider or even visit us last year?

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 05:49 PM
The dad does not have a point.

When you can save your family $90,000 by saying something you always have a point. By him speaking up and not going behind closed doors he has almost guaranteed his son will get a free education here on. Just watch. Look at our thread on it alone. I'll go pick him up and drive him to Starkville with his scholarship in hand if Mullen wants me to.

HSVDawg
01-06-2017, 06:07 PM
When you can save your family $90,000 by saying something you always have a point. By him speaking up and not going behind closed doors he has almost guaranteed his son will get a free education here on. Just watch. Look at our thread on it alone. I'll go pick him up and drive him to Starkville with his scholarship in hand if Mullen wants me to.

UGA is $30,000 per year now even for in-state kids? Holy hell. Tuition inflation is getting nuts.

RocketDawg
01-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Impermissible benefit .... **

RocketDawg
01-06-2017, 06:10 PM
UGA is $30,000 per year now even for in-state kids? Holy hell. Tuition inflation is getting nuts.

Don't know if the number is accurate, but it's most likely the full cost ... room, board, tuition, incidentals, + whatever else.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 06:11 PM

I am just guessing on what it costs to go there I haven't researched it

tireddawg
01-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Yes he did

"The ?numbers? situation in actuality is this: starting long snapper on scholarship, starting holder on scholarship, backup holder on scholarship, starting punter on scholarship, backup punter on scholarship, starting kicker walk-on."

smootness
01-06-2017, 06:44 PM

We'll see. The word here was that his dad cost him scholarships before he went to college because he is so insane. My guess is that this does just the opposite and may mean his son isn't there next year. The kid handled it well, so that may save him.

smootness
01-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Yes he did

"The ?numbers? situation in actuality is this: starting long snapper on scholarship, starting holder on scholarship, backup holder on scholarship, starting punter on scholarship, backup punter on scholarship, starting kicker walk-on."

I'm dumb, I missed that. But it's also hilariously disingenuous. The starting holder and backup holder are Jacob Eason and Brice Ramsey, and one of the punters is Brice Ramsey.

msbulldog
01-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Does anyone else find it amusing that his dad's name is ken blankenship?

Question was that our former head of financial aid?

tireddawg
01-06-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm dumb, I missed that. But it's also hilariously disingenuous. The starting holder and backup holder are Jacob Eason and Brice Ramsey, and one of the punters is Brice Ramsey.

Yeah, very. Bet he knew it when he wrote it.

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Because he is a walk on or preferred walk on in this case, school's very rarely give them a scholarship until they have been there for 2 years. The reason is if they do, it has to count toward their signing class for that year. If they wait for 2 years, it only counts against the 85 total scholarship limit. That makes a big difference when trying to balance out the numbers.

As far as transferring, a walk-on can use a one time exemption to transfer to another school in D1 without sitting out a year ONLY if the school he transfers to never recruited that player. Otherwise they have to sit a year.

dawgoneyall
01-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Impermissible benefit .... **

Yancy is already all over this violation.

msbulldog
01-06-2017, 07:56 PM
We'll see. The word here was that his dad cost him scholarships before he went to college because he is so insane. My guess is that this does just the opposite and may mean his son isn't there next year. The kid handled it well, so that may save him.

My guess too, sounds like the Patterson family at Mississippi. We don't need the drama.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 08:18 PM
My guess too, sounds like the Patterson family at Mississippi. We don't need the drama.

Good kicker is worth a crazy father. Sign him up! Love to beat UGA next year on a last second FG with this dude

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Good kicker is worth a crazy father. Sign him up! Love to beat UGA next year on a last second FG with this dude

Pretty sure we recruited him. He would have to sit a year

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Pretty sure we recruited him. He would have to sit a year

Damn it!! I had visions of him winning the game and running all over their field like this guy.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/msukicker.gif?w=650

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Damn it!! I had visions of him winning the game and running all over their field like this guy.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/msukicker.gif?w=650

Hahaha

Gutter Cobreh
01-06-2017, 08:43 PM

It's about $23k for in-state kids (tuition, boarding, and books). If he qualifies for the HOPE Scholarship it would reduce that number by about $4500.

Not as expensive as some, but UGA is a tough school to gain admittance to. It's certainly more expensive than the $1500 a semester I had to pay while at State.

Bully13
01-06-2017, 08:51 PM
That's one thing I miss about Jackie. Before games watching his punter and kicker warming up with his stop watch in his hand.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-06-2017, 09:21 PM
If you could have any kicker in the country (college or pro) come play at MSU next season, but the requirement was that we had to give that kicker 4 scholarships, would you do it? I would. A kicker can win and lose games for you.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 11:23 PM
If you could have any kicker in the country (college or pro) come play at MSU next season, but the requirement was that we had to give that kicker 4 scholarships, would you do it? I would. A kicker can win and lose games for you.

Absolutely! Real question is could we beat Bama with Gostkowski as our kicker? Only have to get to their 35-40 yardline and you've got a guaranteed minimum 3 points. Imagine never once making it to their redzone and still beating them. Haha they'd be butthurt for 50 years. Not saying that'd ever actually happen but damn it would be glorious to watch.

sleepy dawg
01-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Question was that our former head of financial aid?

https://mlpforums.com/uploads/profile/photo-29522.png?_r=1410174583

HSVDawg
01-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Thats kind of a trick question. For MSU, I'd say of course because we have like 5-10 unused scholarships every year anyway due to our inexplicable self-imposed probation. But if we were actually using them on OL and DB's, I'd say no.

dawgoneyall
01-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Absolutely! Real question is could we beat Bama with Gostkowski as our kicker? Only have to get to their 35-40 yardline and you've got a guaranteed minimum 3 points. Imagine never once making it to their redzone and still beating them. Haha they'd be butthurt for 50 years. Not saying that'd ever actually happen but damn it would be glorious to watch.

Who I believe would have come to state with an offer...maybe be wrong.