PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

msstate7
01-05-2017, 11:25 PM
Any good info coming out? Marrero gonna stay or go? Positional players pretty much set or any big battles? Starting rotation?

bulldogcountry1
01-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Would like to know the same things. I'm an really interested in seeing who make the biggest jump since fall. Bragg probably has the most room to improve, and it would be huge to have a guy who can give us 10+ HRs to offset some of our draft loses.

preachermatt83
01-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Would like to know the same things. I'm an really interested in seeing who make the biggest jump since fall. Bragg probably has the most room to improve, and it would be huge to have a guy who can give us 10+ HRs to offset some of our draft loses.
Bragg has def got a long way to go with the bat.

The Federalist Engineer
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM
The physical measurables on Bragg make him interesting...But what about Elijah Macnamee? Interesting that I have seen complementary articles on Bragg's JUCO production that have actually used MacNamee's stats. Doesn't Blinn College play a higher grade of baseball than Bragg's TCC?

MacNamee hit 409, 9-HRs at Blinn (54 games-186 At Bats)

Bragg hit 409, 5-HRs at TCC (25 games-93 At Bats)

Edited because I lacked the At Bat Count

Steakonastick
01-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Look for the rotation to be : pillkington, cyr, and james.

Rooker, mangum, Poole, Gridley, Stovall and Alexander all have locked down spots. Gordon is leading at first but that's not set in stone. Lovelady had a good fall and is penciled in at catcher. The last spot is a toss up because I have no clue what canny looks for in a dh. But manamee looked the most likely.

If I had to guess on opening day lineup-

Lf mangum
3b Stovall
Rf Rooker
Cf Poole
1b Gordon
Dh-macnamee
Ss- Alexander
C- lovelady
2b- Gridley

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Can't wait to see how Mangum follows up his SEC batting title!

msstate7
01-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Look for the rotation to be : pillkington, cyr, and james.

Rooker, mangum, Poole, Gridley, Stovall and Alexander all have locked down spots. Gordon is leading at first but that's not set in stone. Lovelady had a good fall and is penciled in at catcher. The last spot is a toss up because I have no clue what canny looks for in a dh. But manamee looked the most likely.

If I had to guess on opening day lineup-

Lf mangum
3b Stovall
Rf Rooker
Cf Poole
1b Gordon
Dh-macnamee
Ss- Alexander
C- lovelady
2b- Gridley

Thanks.

So Poole has some pop? For some reason I thought he was a fast, singles hitter.

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 10:27 PM
The physical measurables on Bragg make him interesting...But what about Elijah Macnamee? Interesting that I have seen complementary articles on Bragg's JUCO production that have actually used MacNamee's stats. Doesn't Blinn College play a higher grade of baseball than Bragg's TCC?

MacNamee hit 409, 9-HRs at Blinn (54 games-186 At Bats)

Bragg hit 409, 5-HRs at TCC (25 games-93 At Bats)

Edited because I lacked the At Bat Count

The exciting thing about MacNamee is he is only a sophomore. And yes Texas JUCO baseball > Washington state JUCO baseball. It's still hard to translate stats across leagues like that. I could see MacNamee possibly being a guy that came out of nowhere but with Rooker, Mangum, Poole, and Cody Brown I'm not sure how much action he will see. I could see him starting a year or so from now though.

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Thanks.

So Poole has some pop? For some reason I thought he was a fast, singles hitter.

He can run but he also has some power too. He's like 6'4" or so. I think his best skill right now is his defense.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 10:35 PM
He can run but he also has some power too. He's like 6'4" or so. I think his best skill right now is his defense.

Nice

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Nice

I don't mean to temper excitement here, but he was pretty raw when we got him last year. He redshirted for a reason. The potential is there but he is sort of like Rooker and Cole Gordon in that he may need some time to fully develop to reach his potential. Plus this will be his first season playing SEC ball so we'll see how he adjusts.

Political Hack
01-06-2017, 10:46 PM
I don't know why, but I'm expecting us to absolutely rip the ball this season.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 11:24 PM

Cause our new coach wants to mash the ball not play slap bunt ball

TStationDawg
01-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Bragg has def got a long way to go with the bat.

long way to go with the glove too

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 12:49 AM

I think we will be OK offensively. We lost too much for me to think we will hit quite as well and I don't think we will have as much power, but we won't be bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Todd4State
01-07-2017, 12:51 AM
long way to go with the glove too

I wouldn't be shocked if Bragg redshirted this year. More than likely he plays but if he redshirts it probably won't hurt him. He did seem to hit a little bit better towards the end of the fall so we'll see how he does this spring.

BrunswickDawg
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
I don't mean to temper excitement here, but he was pretty raw when we got him last year. He redshirted for a reason. The potential is there but he is sort of like Rooker and Cole Gordon in that he may need some time to fully develop to reach his potential. Plus this will be his first season playing SEC ball so we'll see how he adjusts.
Sounds kind of like a certain 5 Tool Player I remember hearing something about....

Political Hack
01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I think we will be OK offensively. We lost too much for me to think we will hit quite as well and I don't think we will have as much power, but we won't be bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, I've become accustomed to the fact that we won't have much power year in and year out, but that doesn't concern me. It helps for sure, but I'd rather have 9 .350+ guys back to back than adding in a few power guys who hit .250.

Canny is used to smacking the ball. He's going to demand they hit and he's going to bring LSU mentality at the plate with him. I love that and think it's going to pay dividends quickly.

I seen it dawg
01-07-2017, 11:57 AM
True aggressiveness is what I expect.

lamont
01-07-2017, 12:11 PM
True aggressiveness is what I expect.

Will be nice to watch again. So glad we are going to stop bunting in the 1st ****ing inning

Bully13
01-07-2017, 12:23 PM
I want higher batting avgs and want to see us with enough power to hit gappers to the wall that score folks from 1st base. When winning in Omaha is the goal, that is what you want instead of trading higher batting avgs, fewer k's for more dingers.