PDA

View Full Version : Bonner just did a hit piece on Hump attendance.

shannondawg
01-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Can't say what he said was untrue, but it sure wasn't good to read.

Maybe it will shake up the attendance until we can start winning and the crowds will mushroom.

mparkerfd20
01-05-2017, 05:48 PM
I don't care to read anything from that shitbird.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 05:52 PM
I will very happy when Bonner leaves. Our program was dying a slow death under Ray and now with Howland, even with his improved recruiting, we still haven't put a team on the floor that can compete against quality competition. I believe Howland absolutely will get it done but what is the point in dinging attendance right now from a guy who gets paid to go the games, gets free parking and sits on press row? Way too tempting to sit and home and watch in HD for free as long as the team is not competing given the ticket and parking prices plus the travel time invested. We really don't have a decent win among our 9-4 record.

BeastMan
01-05-2017, 06:03 PM
I haven't read it because I don't follow Bonner and rarely click his stuff but it's not a hit piece if it's true. Attendance has sucked of late. That said, i think it would have been much more responsible and acceptable to write that article when 2nd semester has started back and the students are back in town. Not only that, family's get out of the holiday season stuff and back in to normal routines. I don't have any data to back this up but I'd venture that attendance in December and early January is bad in the whole conference with Kentucky being the exception. While he may be factually correct, I don't think this the the time to write that. If attendance sucks starting in another 2 weeks, fire away.

At this point I think it's clear that Bonner has an axe to grind and he will use whatever facts he can to be negative, even if they are a bit manipulative. The popular take among fans would be to pull credentials. Even though I'd appreciate the balls it would take to do that, I don't think you have to. Bonner and Kellenberger are running that sports page in to the grave anyway.

MaroonFlounder
01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Bonner is gone. It's just not official yet.

RocketDawg
01-05-2017, 06:17 PM
I haven't read it because I don't follow Bonner and rarely click his stuff but it's not a hit piece if it's true. Attendance has sucked of late. That said, i think it would have been much more responsible and acceptable to write that article when 2nd semester has started back and the students are back in town. Not only that, family's get out of the holiday season stuff and back in to normal routines. I don't have any data to back this up but I'd venture that attendance in December and early January is bad in the whole conference with Kentucky being the exception. While he may be factually correct, I don't think this the the time to write that. If attendance sucks starting in another 2 weeks, fire away.

At this point I think it's clear that Bonner has an axe to grind and he will use whatever facts he can to be negative, even if they are a bit manipulative. The popular take among fans would be to pull credentials. Even though I'd appreciate the balls it would take to do that, I don't think you have to. Bonner and Kellenberger are running that sports page in to the grave anyway.

Read an article a few days ago that the Eagles pulled the credentials of Philadelphia Inquirer (their major newspaper) reporters and kicked them out of the press box. Can't remember what they did but it must have been noteworthy. That's a little different than a public college banning a state newspaper, but it shows that it can and will be done by a private entity.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 06:20 PM
The problem with the Hump is the reserved seating. Plain and simple. We have thousands of empty seats every game that have been bought as season tickets and nobody at MSU gives a shit if those people don't attend any of the games they already paid for. It's like going to a restaurant and being put on a wait while there's a hundred tables with nobody sitting in them but they have been "paid for" as reservations for whenever the lobster tails get in town and then the people for those reserved tables will show up. It's a horrible business decision to capitalize on the most dollars before the season starts made by someone that doesn't give two shits about the atmosphere of the Hump apparently. There's many ways to fix this but again the only person in charge doesn't give a shit about our atmosphere. Whose that person? I thought it was SS but he in Florida now. Cohen gonna fix it? This could be fixed before next home game if somebody had a little want to.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 06:36 PM
I will very happy when Bonner leaves. Our program was dying a slow death under Ray and now with Howland, even with his improved recruiting, we still haven't put a team on the floor that can compete against quality competition. I believe Howland absolutely will get it done but what is the point in dinging attendance right now from a guy who gets paid to go the games, gets free parking and sits on press row? Way too tempting to sit and home and watch in HD for free as long as the team is not competing given the ticket and parking prices plus the travel time invested. We really don't have a decent win among our 9-4 record.

BWalker is that you?

shannondawg
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
I watched a little of the Mizzou game last night, the crowd appeared worse than ours, and they use to be a powerhouse.

Reunion Dog
01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
only fix is to play with intensity and hard work effort. not dribble across half court and shoot a BRICK... then watch the other team rebound it and run the floor for a damn lay up.. while our team is just standing there bitching the ball didn't go in...

RocketDawg
01-05-2017, 07:16 PM
I was just setting up my Roku so I could watch our women's game tonight, and tuned in to the Auburn/SC game. SC is a top 5 team too. The game's in Auburn, but there are not more than a couple dozen people within view in the crowd.

Steakonastick
01-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Except the folks who bought those seats don't just pay for their table. They help pay for the actual restaurant. They are the reason why we have first class facilities. Plain and simple if we are winning the hump will have 10k there.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Except the folks who bought those seats don't just pay for their table. They help pay for the actual restaurant. They are the reason why we have first class facilities. Plain and simple if we are winning the hump will have 10k there.

Sorry they don't get to destroy our basketball atmosphere because they choose to donate money. It's 2017 and with the advancements in technology there is absolutely no good reason why the season ticket holders that aren't going to make the game can't click a button and let their seats be resold for that game. The University makes even more money that way AND we get thousands more at every game not just the two games a year those donors choose to attend.

Steakonastick
01-05-2017, 07:35 PM
the reason the atmosphere sucks is because the team is not winning. the atmosphere even sucked when they did dollar night on tickets a few weeks ago.

kudzudawg
01-05-2017, 08:05 PM

This

RocketDawg
01-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Sorry they don't get to destroy our basketball atmosphere because they choose to donate money. It's 2017 and with the advancements in technology there is absolutely no good reason why the season ticket holders that aren't going to make the game can't click a button and let their seats be resold for that game. The University makes even more money that way AND we get thousands more at every game not just the two games a year those donors choose to attend.

Don't know if you're a season ticket holder or not ... I'm not any more because I wasn't able to get to most of the games, and I didn't want to leave my spot vacant (crappy as it was). But ... if I was, and I was a few minutes late to a game, I would expect my seat to be unoccupied ... or immediately vacated after I showed up. Maybe they could send a text message to all season ticket holders and ask if they're going to be at the game. If not, sell their seat.

I also think the students should be on the lower level. The upstairs sideline seats are pretty good, and in some cases better than those down below. That's probably where the "big donors" should be seated. Then it's not so obvious when they don't show up.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 08:08 PM

I hope so. Wish he and Hev would share a ****ing cab

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 08:16 PM
the atmosphere even sucked when they did dollar night on tickets a few weeks ago.

First time I am hearing of this dollar night so it obviously wasn't promoted very well and if it was a few weeks ago then it sounds like it was during Fall Break when the students aren't in town and vs a shitty OOC opponent. Not a good example to justify MSU losing thousands of dollars every home game. Years of catering to those that don't show up has contributed significantly to the decay of the atmosphere. Again the fix is as simple as a click of the button or a return text 24 hours before the tipoff. Then the University is able to resell those empty seats and make thousands more every game. I don't think that's too much to ask and if it is for the tiny few that decide to keep their money instead of donating it the University will still make lots more money my way instead of catering to atmosphere wreckers. Cohen is the AD it is now his responsibility to get this going. Every game he waits is roughly a $20,000-$100,000 loss in revenue PER GAME.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2017, 08:20 PM
First time I am hearing of this dollar night so it obviously wasn't promoted very well and if it was a few weeks ago then it sounds like it was during Fall Break when the students aren't in town and vs a shitty OOC opponent. Not a good example to justify MSU losing thousands of dollars every home game. Years of catering to those that don't show up has contributed significantly to the decay of the atmosphere. Again the fix is as simple as a click of the button or a return text 24 hours before the tipoff. Then the University is able to resell those empty seats and make thousands more every game. I don't think that's too much to ask and if it is for the tiny few that decide to keep their money instead of donating it the University will still make lots more money my way instead of catering to atmosphere wreckers. Cohen is the AD it is now his responsibility to get this going. Every game he waits is roughly a $20,000-$100,000 loss in revenue PER GAME.

It was during Christmas and it was well promoted. It was even discussed here in the game thread, which I believe you posted in. I got a Facebook, Twitter, and an email about it.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Don't know if you're a season ticket holder or not ... I'm not any more because I wasn't able to get to most of the games, and I didn't want to leave my spot vacant (crappy as it was). But ... if I was, and I was a few minutes late to a game, I would expect my seat to be unoccupied ... or immediately vacated after I showed up. Maybe they could send a text message to all season ticket holders and ask if they're going to be at the game. If not, sell their seat.

I also think the students should be on the lower level. The upstairs sideline seats are pretty good, and in some cases better than those down below. That's probably where the "big donors" should be seated. Then it's not so obvious when they don't show up.

Loss of your seat wouldn't happen till the next season and only if you fail to follow the simple 24 hour prior notification process like five times in a year. If you're late to the game you'd still get credit for showing up when you go through the gate and if someone is sitting in your seat you just have to show the usher your ticket and they will remove that person from your seat. Basically you have to be tremendously lazy to get your ability to buy season tickets revoked the next year and even then if you end up being one of the 10 or less shitheads to have them revoked you can then just buy a ticket at the gate like everyone else.

RocketDawg
01-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Loss of your seat wouldn't happen till the next season and only if you fail to follow the simple 24 hour prior notification process like five times in a year. If you're late to the game you'd still get credit for showing up when you go through the gate and if someone is sitting in your seat you just have to show the usher your ticket and they will remove that person from your seat. Basically you have to be tremendously lazy to get your ability to buy season tickets revoked the next year and even then if you end up being one of the 10 or less shitheads to have them revoked you can then just buy a ticket at the gate like everyone else.

I wouldn't have any problem with a process such as that, especially now that everybody at the very least knows how to text, and probably over 99% of the population has a cell phone. They would learn to participate or suffer the consequences, but it would have to be included in the "rules" when the season ticket is purchased. I wouldn't have a problem if they did that in football either, and I have season tickets for that.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
It was during Christmas and it was well promoted. It was even discussed here in the game thread, which I believe you posted in. I got a Facebook, Twitter, and an email about it.

Great I am proud of them for doing that but something tells me all those reserved empty seats weren't sold for a $1 a pop but instead were left open to gather cobwebs while those that did attend got to stew in the rafters as they looked at row after row of empty seats. Would you go to a restaurant that gave you a free dinner roll while you stood at the door for two hours looking at all the wide open tables?

MarketingBully
01-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I'll be going to the A&M game a week from Saturday. Can only make a couple a year. I'm embarrassed though that our local fans and students can't support our team better then they are. It's sad and embarrassing when Coach Howland says stuff like this. I'm embarrassed to be an MSU fan when a coach says stuff like this.

“I’m hoping and praying that our fans will come out and support this group, this young group,” Howland said. “We have guys that are going to be here for a number of years. We started this way because long-term, it’s the best way to do it to build with freshmen.”

And you guys do know that if you packed the crowd in with a young team they do tend to play harder and feed off the emotion. The opposite also can be said that if there are no fans there a young team will tend to play flat.

MarketingBully
01-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Can't say what he said was untrue, but it sure wasn't good to read.

Maybe it will shake up the attendance until we can start winning and the crowds will mushroom.

I hope it does. Our fans have to step this shit up.

Activated Alpha
01-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Let's talk more about Bonner being gone. It gives me warm fuzzies knowing shitbirds like him will be out having to write for the local high school newspaper soon enough

boot
01-05-2017, 11:14 PM
It's depressing going to the games this year. These young players get up and play with a lot more intensity when they've got a packed house behind them. Downright embarrassing that the women have better fan support than the men. Could lead to a dropoff in our recruiting if it continues.

confucius say
01-06-2017, 12:06 AM

Been listening to keep it 100 eh?

Homedawg
01-06-2017, 12:43 AM

Your system fails in so many ways. A bird in the hand is better than two In a bush. But carry on. It's hoops season...

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:41 AM
Your system fails in so many ways. A bird in the hand is better than two In a bush. But carry on. It's hoops season...

Yea show me I am wrong. I still got that bird in the hand and now I am getting a second bird in my other hand. Now I have two birds in the hand and you're still an idiot talking about a bush.

msbulldog
01-06-2017, 07:29 AM
BWalker is that you?

I thought the same thing sounds very much like B Walker's comments recently on BSR.

Bucky Dog
01-06-2017, 08:54 AM
I have season tickets but haven't been able to make a game yet. Some because I travel a lot and a few others because the teams they were playing sucked! I plan on being at most every game the rest of the year startin with A&M next week. I will suooort then because they have the talent and Howland should instill more discipline in the court. Until I see that will never happen, I will be there whenever possible.

maroonmania
01-06-2017, 10:02 AM
BWalker is that you?

No, guess I did latch on to a few of his talking points on this though because I agreed.

GTHOM
01-06-2017, 02:58 PM
State needs to redo the whole basketball gameday atmosphere. Football is 2nd to none but basketball is kinda outdated. I heard they are planning on renovating the hump so hopefully that will help. All that said, as soon as we start winning they will come

shannondawg
01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Do they have a waiting list for tickets this year? I don't think they do, so all someone has to do is go to the ticket window and buy them, so its not that fans can't come. You see a long lines at the ticket windows when the girls are playing.

Its not the system, its getting back to the winning tradition that will fill the Hump.

I'm hoping that the article spurs season ticket holders that have not showed up, will start now. I personally feel its sort of a duty to go, a lot of times, I had rather stay at home and watch on TV, but I drag my old ass down to Vegas anyway.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Do they have a waiting list for tickets this year? I don't think they do, so all someone has to do is go to the ticket window and buy them, so its not that fans can't come. You see a long lines at the ticket windows when the girls are playing.

Its not the system, its getting back to the winning tradition that will fill the Hump.

I'm hoping that the article spurs season ticket holders that have not showed up, will start now. I personally feel its sort of a duty to go, a lot of times, I had rather stay at home and watch on TV, but I drag my old ass down to Vegas anyway.

I think the $25 a ticket is the problem with getting people to purchase from the ticket office.

maroonmania
01-06-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm hoping that the article spurs season ticket holders that have not showed up, will start now.

Nobody is going to just start showing up because of some lame article. The team showing the ability to compete against quality competition is the only thing that will have an impact on attendance. We currently sit with an RPI of 208 with one win against a team in the RPI top 100 (Boise St @ 90). We've been down long enough now that people want to see a difference on the court to make the effort. I believe Howland will get us there but we aren't there yet. Is there another SEC basketball program who has had 4 straight losing seasons that has good attendance?

shannondawg
01-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Nobody is going to just start showing up because of some lame article. The team showing the ability to compete against quality competition is the only thing that will have an impact on attendance. We currently sit with an RPI of 208 with one win against a team in the RPI top 100 (Boise St @ 90). We've been down long enough now that people want to see a difference on the court to make the effort. I believe Howland will get us there but we aren't there yet. Is there another SEC basketball program who has had 4 straight losing seasons that has good attendance?

I kinda know that, just hoping. But a few will respond, but I doubt enough to make any difference.

$25 is that correct? I haven't looked at my tickets to see cost of sec games, but $5 was for ooc games.

Lets face it , if we were winning and winning big, $25 would not be a factor.

msujan
01-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Lately they've been telling fans in the upper deck to move to the lower deck. Pisses me off because I have reserved seats in the corner for which I paid good money, then folks with the dollar tix, discounted tix, comp tix get to sit in the Big Dawg seats.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Lately they've been telling fans in the upper deck to move to the lower deck. Pisses me off because I have reserved seats in the corner for which I paid good money, then folks with the dollar tix, discounted tix, comp tix get to sit in the Big Dawg seats.

Ahhhh ding ding ding we have a winner!! This is what's wrong with our atmosphere. Too many of y'all would rather have an empty hump cause you paid for reserved tickets and will only show up for two games than let the hump be filled up for every game. Thanks for finally admitting it.

WPDawg
01-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Ahhhh ding ding ding we have a winner!! This is what's wrong with our atmosphere. Too many of y'all would rather have an empty hump cause you paid for reserved tickets and will only show up for two games than let the hump be filled up for every game. Thanks for finally admitting it. Yep. there you go. If the Big Dawgs are happy with empty lower seats then what else can you do. Personally, $25 is to much for single game ticket to me. And if I do pay $25 to go to an upper seat and half the lower section is empty then I certainly leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

I still think that if the Big Donor ticket holders can not put someone in their seats when absent then they are just fair weather fans who care less. Money part doesnt matter to them as they are just holding their coveted spot until the good times come back. To bad they dont understand the effects of the lower section being empty.

Still think the ticket office could work out a swap ticket program. For the lower section season ticket holders who care about the program and know their seats will be empty, then contact ticket office and let them know to put their seats up for swap. Open up one ticket window for Swap Tickets. If its open then get in line and swap your upper level ticket for lower sections. At least it allows people to move down to better seats than normal if others are not going to use them. And if you are already in lower section, then you should be happy to have lower half more filled.

Steakonastick
01-06-2017, 05:11 PM
I just looked online and there are around 1500-2000 seats available for the A&M game. I remember 6 years ago when their was a waiting list for tickets. So a great opportunity for fans to help improve the atmosphere. Instead of complaining about not getting cheap floor seats.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 05:37 PM
I just looked online and there are around 1500-2000 seats available for the A&M game. I remember 6 years ago when their was a waiting list for tickets. So a great opportunity for fans to help improve the atmosphere. Instead of complaining about not getting cheap floor seats.
Would you please give us some insight on the thread below titled "Baseball"? I know you're connected with our baseball program.

shannondawg
01-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Why don't they do it like baseball, after a certain inning, fans can move over to the grandstand. I personally don't have a problem someone sitting in my seats if I'm not there, actually prefer that they do.

I had a friend there with his kids , he texted me where were my seats, I told him and to tell the usher I said ok, he got to em with no problem. That was an ooc game.

But I heard they wasn't allowing that for the SEC games. Maybe the administration will do something now that the problem has been made public.

It use to not be a problem moving to better seats at football games, but is now cause the seats are pretty well filled. And thats why the donations have flourished at the bdc so people can get better seats. It use to be that way at the Hump when we were sold out of season tickets and had a waiting list.

Pros and cons either way, winning will take care of any problem. Which is what everyone agrees on. having open seating is ok for the ladydawgs, in the less desirable seats, but if they keep bringing in the crowds , that will change, I bet. Look at Tennessee during Pat's day, it was harder to get a ticket for their games than the men's.

Remember when Auburn opened their new facility years ago, they partitioned it off with curtains to make the seating area smaller, so the stands would look fuller because of lack of attendance.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Ok and another 2,000-4,000 reserved seats aren't going to show up and can't press a button to say they aren't coming? What's $25 x 5,000 empty seats? Hell discount the tickets to $10 x 5,000. Add in concession sales and we could easily make another $75,000 just for the A&M game alone by doing what I am saying. Reserved people still have their reserved tickets for when they want to come. Do people really get mad when they are sitting on the couch watching a game and somebody in the Hump is sitting in their seat helping the atmosphere be better for our players? That's like a 3 year olds mentality. I don't think we should be catering to 3 year olds when every game we do we lose $50,000-$100,000 in lost revenue.

shannondawg
01-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Agree that it would be nice to be able to easily let my tickets free up at a push of a button, but only problem with that is if we aren't winning, you won't have many takers. But it would be nice if we could.