PDA

View Full Version : Does Cohen Give Mullen An Extension Without Firing Hev first?

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 11:41 PM
I swear we could pick 5 random people off this board that could recruit and evaluate better than this turd.

As someone said in the other thread, 4 of our 5 starting OL had no other power 5 offers.

Are we Wake Forest, Purdue, Rutgers?

Where is the standard? Why can the DL be almost exclusively 4 and 5 stars while the OL is Sunbelt?

Can someone enlighten me because I'm lost.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Rushing offense -- 5th in sec
Sacks allowed -- 2nd in sec
TFL allowed -- 3rd in sec

So, were the recruiting rankings wrong or is Hev a good coach? Seems it would have to be one or the other.

Definitely want to improve oline recruiting... not saying I'm happy with that. I do think Hev gets ripped when his group has consistently outperformed say our safeties, yet all we hear is oline

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 11:55 PM

So, were the recruiting rankings wrong or is Hev a good coach? Seems it would have to be one or the other.

Definitely want to improve oline recruiting... not saying I'm happy with that. I do think Hev gets ripped when his group has consistently outperformed say our safeties, yet all we hear is oline

This has to be one of the strangest abnormalities/conundrums in the SEC

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:38 AM

The thing about stats is they only tell the story about what you actually have and not what the stats would be if you had better talent, so there's no comparison. That said we can assume that better talent would likely result in better production- even though the production may not be statistically "bad".

Here's the difference between the safeties and o-line for us. Our safety coach left last year. So if it was a coaching issue that was resolved. Hughes while I don't think he was the best coach on our staff brought value with his recruiting. We went out and landed two really good JUCO safeties to help try to fix the problem. On the o-line we constantly miss our targets and nothing seems to be done about it. While our o-line is good enough to do well against lesser SEC teams and OOC teams, it constantly struggles with top level SEC teams to the point where you could argue that it is holding us back from getting more signature wins.

Hevesy has ZERO o-linemen drafted by the NFL that played for him for 4-5 years that weren't recruited by Sylvester Croom. He has had a couple of free agents like Clausell and Day but neither of those are likely long term NFL players.

Leroy Jenkins
01-05-2017, 04:58 AM

Having the best running QB in the conference probably disguises the issue statistically.

DownwardDawg
01-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Having the best running QB in the conference probably disguises the issue statistically.

^^^This

Leeshouldveflanked
01-05-2017, 07:22 AM
Nm

Dawgology
01-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Exactly. It's not a mystery that when Fitz started putting things together it helped the O-Line. On the other hand, when the OL started putting it together Fitz started performing better due to more time int he pocket, correct gaps opening, etc. It's a two way street. I think what we had at the beginning of the year was an offense trying to learn to win without Dak. Any time a team loses an athlete and leader like that you will have sharp drop-off and a big learning curve. Now our defense just needs to get their shit together.

I think, overall, Hev has coached our OL very well during his tenure. Often he has turned subpar OL into adequate OL. The problem I have is that we shouldn't be starting with subpar OL. That comes dowm to recruiting tactics and I think that is Hev's biggest weakness. If we could take him off the recruiting trail and let him just be an on-the-field coach I think we would be golden.

lamont
01-05-2017, 08:37 AM

But as usual- we couldn't block Bama, Auburn, or LSU

msstate7
01-05-2017, 08:46 AM

How much did 2 5* RBs (Michel and Chubb) that will both be NFL help Georgia's oline?

Rushing offense -- 9th in sec
TFL allowed -- 11th in sec
Sacks allowed -- 6th in sec

Didn't face bama or lsu either.

Starting Georgia oline...

LT -- Catalina (transfer picked GA over Auburn)
LG --wynn 4*
C -- kublanow 4*
RG -- gaillard 4*
RT -- pyke 4*

Go to 247 and check those guys' offer sheets

msstate7
01-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Scoring defense nationally...

1. Bama
5. Lsu
7. Auburn

Seemed to be a problem for everyone.

defiantdog
01-05-2017, 08:51 AM
How much did 2 5* RBs (Michel and Chubb) that will both be NFL help Georgia's oline?

LG --wynn 4*
C -- kublanow 4*
RG -- gaillard 4*
RT -- pyke 4*
And Georgia has to replace their LT, C, and RT next year. They'll have a young OL next year.

mparkerfd20
01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
I swear you guys go WAY overboard in your Hev hate. The guy can flat out coach OL. While I do wish we would get better prospects on the front-end, you can't deny the progress our linemen make throughout the year and year-to-year.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2017, 09:35 AM

This is really all I care about. We will be an at best 10 win team forever with Hevesy at the helm of the OL. He may get the most out of the guys we get, but that potential is limited by the players we bring in. Until that changes, Hevesy is our ceiling and he is most certainly at a minimum partly involved in the recruiting aspect of the OL. You can throw out all the stats. The eye test says the big boys beat up our OL more than we take it too them, preventing us from scoring enough points to win. That's just facts.

I know everyone and their brother loses to Alabama right now, but if we play .500 ball against Auburn over Mullen's career and continue to lose to LSU, we can't every get to Atlanta unless the stars align perfectly. And frankly I'm tired of praying the stars align. Ready to make it look like we are taking it to people instead of just wishing everything lined up perfectly.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
I swear we could pick 5 random people off this board that could recruit and evaluate better than this turd.

As someone said in the other thread, 4 of our 5 starting OL had no other power 5 offers.

Are we Wake Forest, Purdue, Rutgers?

Where is the standard? Why can the DL be almost exclusively 4 and 5 stars while the OL is Sunbelt?

Can someone enlighten me because I'm lost.

Our six win season wasn't because of the O Line. It's because of the Defense sucking.

Reason2succeed
01-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Who could? OM thrived off quick passes.

Coach007
01-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Or maybe you are just wrong...

Reason2succeed
01-05-2017, 10:13 AM
This is really all I care about. We will be an at best 10 win team forever with Hevesy at the helm of the OL. He may get the most out of the guys we get, but that potential is limited by the players we bring in. Until that changes, Hevesy is our ceiling and he is most certainly at a minimum partly involved in the recruiting aspect of the OL. You can throw out all the stats. The eye test says the big boys beat up our OL more than we take it too them, preventing us from scoring enough points to win. That's just facts.

I know everyone and their brother loses to Alabama right now, but if we play .500 ball against Auburn over Mullen's career and continue to lose to LSU, we can't every get to Atlanta unless the stars align perfectly. And frankly I'm tired of praying the stars align. Ready to make it look like we are taking it to people instead of just wishing everything lined up perfectly.

Other than Alabama and Ohio State (because of a weak B1G) what teams don't have to pray for the stars to align? We play THE eventual national championship winner (or #1 contender) every single year. If Clemson, Florida State, Ohio State, or Oklahoma were in the SEC West they would have to "pray for the stars to align" too.

I'm not saying that Hev should stay or we should be content. All I'm saying is that we have to have a realistic perspective about where we are, who we are, and what we are up against. When all those things are put in perspective Hev looks like a coach that doesn't recruit stars well but does make the most out of the OL he has.

RougeDawg
01-05-2017, 10:13 AM

As did JRob and Dak in 2014. Plus this year we have seen what Dak can do with a competent OLIne.

ETA if Dak had any other SECWest OLIne in 2014, we most likely win it all. Think of how sad of a statement that is.

RougeDawg
01-05-2017, 10:19 AM

LG --wynn 4*
C -- kublanow 4*
RG -- gaillard 4*
RT -- pyke 4*

Georgia has a statue for QB. That's the difference. The Defense does not have to account for him. Look at our offense with TR vs Dak in 2014. Or look at it this year with Holloway vs Every other RB. Holloway was a non factor so it was essentially 11 on 10.

Why must people continue to compare apples to lava rocks, in order to push a point or agenda?

Dawgology
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM

LG --wynn 4*
C -- kublanow 4*
RG -- gaillard 4*
RT -- pyke 4*

I see what you are saying but it's kind of apples vs oranges. A good RB does not equate to a mobile QB. A mobile QB is tough for a defense to scheme around so you end up floating guys out and losing one as a spy which takes a lot of pressure off the OL. Probably masked OL deficiencies....just like Dak did. I agree. With a SEC West caliber OL and Dak we could have won a NC. For that, alone, Hev should be taken off the recruiting trail....those oppurtunities don't come around often for a program like MSU.

Dawgology
01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Georgia has a statue for QB. That's the difference. The Defense does not have to account for him. Look at our offense with TR vs Dak in 2014. Or look at it this year with Holloway vs Every other RB. Holloway was a non factor so it was essentially 11 on 10.

Why must people continue to compare apples to lava rocks, in order to push a point or agenda?

Same thought at same time. Great minds.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

So you don't 2 NFL RBs behind an all 4-star oline that avoided the top 2 rush defenses in the sec (we faced both) should finish ahead of us in rushing despite shump and Holloway receiving 20% (105 combined carries of our 532 total)? Seems Hev did pretty good or some of our olinemen were underrated

msstate7
01-05-2017, 10:32 AM
BTW here's how Arkansas stacked up...

Rushing offense -- 10th in sec
Avg yards per rush -- 12th
Sacks allowed -- 13th
TFL allowed -- 12th

Everyone here gushes over the Hogs' mighty oline .

Oh left out our avg rush per attempt -- 4th

lamont
01-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Who could? OM thrived off quick passes.

LSU and Auburn lost 4 games each. Somebody blocked them enough

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Sacks allowed -- 13th
TFL allowed -- 12th

I don't. They big but mostly slow. Usually pretty good run blockers but quick D linemen and LBs tend to wear them out in obvious passing situations. I am surprised their rushing offense wasn't better than that tho.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
LSU and Auburn lost 4 games each. Somebody blocked them enough

Auburn avg'd 13.4 ppg in losses
Lsu avg'd 9.3 ppg in losses

lamont
01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Our six win season wasn't because of the O Line. It's because of the Defense sucking.

We scored 3 vs Bama
We had 6 points vs LSU until 5 mins left in the game
We had 7 points vs Auburn thru 3 Q's

It wasnt just our defense

msstate7
01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I don't. They big but mostly slow. Usually pretty good run blockers but quick D linemen and LBs tend to wear them out in obvious passing situations. I am surprised their rushing offense wasn't better than that tho.

Looking at those stats makes me wanna beat sirmon with a stick

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 10:47 AM

I'm giving him a break this year. The D was bad, but in games it did ok our offense didn't show up (like USA, BYU, and MOH). I'm with RP on the 6 losses ... it just wasn't solely because of the D.

ETA: I just realized you're talking solely about the Arky game. I'll go along with that.

MrKotter
01-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Sacks allowed -- 13th
TFL allowed -- 12th

Serious question, do you really believe Hevesy has produced quality O-lines during his time here? Do you, in all honesty, believe he adds value to this team?

thf24
01-05-2017, 11:28 AM

And we scored 14 against Auburn and 20 against LSU. Enough to win for teams with better defenses than us that beat them. I know that's splitting some pretty thin hairs, but it's not a stretch to say that our defense was much more to blame than our offense for those losses.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Yes, he gets an extension. He should have been extended last year.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 11:54 AM
And we scored 14 against Auburn and 20 against LSU. Enough to win for teams with better defenses than us that beat them. I know that's splitting some pretty thin hairs, but it's not a stretch to say that our defense was much more to blame than our offense for those losses.
Our offense was to blame for USA and byu. Our defense is to blame for Kentucky and Arkansas. The other losses were bc the opposing team was just better.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Serious question, do you really believe Hevesy has produced quality O-lines during his time here? Do you, in all honesty, believe he adds value to this team?

I think Hev has done a good job coaching... not so much recruiting. I do think we're getting some better oline recruits lately and I'm interested to see if Hev can do good with em

lamont
01-05-2017, 01:04 PM

We got garbage points against both because they were way ahead. With the game on the line- our offense did nothing.

Johnson85
01-05-2017, 01:41 PM

We have also had two and a half seasons where we couldn't even field a competent oline. 2011, 2015, and part of 2016. Hev is obviously a good enough coach, but we are flirting with disaster every year because we can't afford any injuries on the Oline. I don't know whether Hev should be fired and I certainly don't want to fire him because we aren't consistently moving the ball against top 10 defenses. But we should always, barring extremely bad luck with injuries, be able to put 5 OL on the field that belong in a power 5 conference. Not saying they have to be good, but we shouldn't look at any one them and think we'd be indifferent to trading them for an average Group of 5 OL.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 01:45 PM

LG --wynn 4*
C -- kublanow 4*
RG -- gaillard 4*
RT -- pyke 4*

Scoring defense nationally...

1. Bama
5. Lsu
7. Auburn

Seemed to be a problem for everyone.

So you don't 2 NFL RBs behind an all 4-star oline that avoided the top 2 rush defenses in the sec (we faced both) should finish ahead of us in rushing despite shump and Holloway receiving 20% (105 combined carries of our 532 total)? Seems Hev did pretty good or some of our olinemen were underrated

Sacks allowed -- 13th
TFL allowed -- 12th

Wow msstate7 has destroyed y'all in this thread. ****ing BRUTAL fatality bruh!! I have just switched from the "fire Hev line" to the "don't let Hev talk to any recruits line" cause it seems pretty damn obvious Hev can actually coach the boys up he is just an asshole and doesn't need to talk to any of them till they are signed sealed and delivered.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mkwikia/images/5/58/Scorpion_fatality.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130916170539

Lance Harbor
01-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Harumph

QuadrupleOption
01-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Yes but that's Dan Mullen's offensive philosophy. Having a running QB is integral to his offenses' success, and it's also why we DON'T have to have a bunch of 5 star guys on the o-line to be effective.

I'm certainly not saying I don't want to improve our offensive line recruiting, but our offenses are usually pretty good. With the right QB making the right decisions it is phenomenal. If Fitz can improve his passing (and our WRs learn to catch some damn balls) we'll be fine next year.

I'm more concerned about the defense at this point.

BulldogBear
01-05-2017, 02:17 PM
We got garbage points against both because they were way ahead. With the game on the line- our offense did nothing.

This. The hard truth we actually got our butts kicked (fudge packed actually) in both these games. Either could have named their score if they hadn't quit.

Agreed. At least insomuch as I would put more blame on D than O. There is also that kicking thing. But that may really be included with O.

War Machine Dawg
01-05-2017, 02:41 PM

It's not an abnormality or a conundrum. Hev is a good "coach" meaning he can develop guys and get the most out of their natural ability. He's routinely getting 1 and 2 star players playing like 2-4 star players. And our offense, when run correctly, helps some of those numbers look better. We all saw how bad the OL was last year and early this year when we were trying to throw a lot.

The problem, as most of us continue to point out, is that Hev is a recruiting albatross. He's a lazy MFer who doesn't do what it takes to get quality recruits. I'm not so sure he's a shitty talent evaluator as much as he just doesn't want to do what it takes to sign legit 3-5 star OL prospects. And let's be real honest, most of the 3-star OL we're getting are actual 2-stars. Paul is getting them bumped because he's got one of the largest and most active 247 sites. If Hev got legit SEC OL talent to work with, I can't fathom how good our OL would be. It's bad that I'm longing for a Croom OL. Still no OL drafted recruited solely by Hev is a damning stat.

War Machine Dawg
01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Wow msstate7 has destroyed y'all in this thread. ****ing BRUTAL fatality bruh!! I have just switched from the "fire Hev line" to the "don't let Hev talk to any recruits line" cause it seems pretty damn obvious Hev can actually coach the boys up he is just an asshole and doesn't need to talk to any of them till they are signed sealed and delivered.

The problem with this is obvious and simple: Players and parents want to meet their position coach and get to know him. It just can't be avoided. If it could be done, I'd be all for it.

NCDawg
01-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Summarizing, we have a poor OL coach and recruiter, and a first year DC who doesn't seem to be all that capable. Urban Meyer realized that Hevesy wasn't the OL coach that he wanted so he transferred him to TE coach. Mullen brought Hevesy here from Florida and gave him the OL coach and "Running Coordinator" co-oc job. He is his friend and apparently Mullen will not do anything to hurt his feelings. We will therefore never be a top contender for the SECW if Mullen doesn't do what is necessary to remedy the situation.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 03:03 PM
The problem with this is obvious and simple: Players and parents want to meet their position coach and get to know him. It just can't be avoided. If it could be done, I'd be all for it.

Hevesy Catfish

http://themajors.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/jess-davies-1-clotheshorse.jpg

msstate7
01-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Summarizing, we have a poor OL coach and recruiter, and a first year DC who doesn't seem to be all that capable. Urban Meyer realized that Hevesy wasn't the OL coach that he wanted so he transferred him to TE coach. Mullen brought Hevesy here from Florida and gave him the OL coach and "Running Coordinator" co-oc job. He is his friend and apparently Mullen will not do anything to hurt his feelings. We will therefore never be a top contender for the SECW if Mullen doesn't do what is necessary to remedy the situation.

Thought Hev was moved to tackles and TEs by Meyer

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Hevesy Catfish

http://themajors.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/jess-davies-1-clotheshorse.jpg

I'm going to disagree with Random Poster's earlier comment. THIS is your best post ever.

lamont
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Thought Hev was moved to tackles and TEs by Meyer

He was in 2008- and had Mullen not hired him- he was going to be fired

blacklistedbully
01-05-2017, 04:56 PM

RP, you're correct on the AU game, but not on LSU. We got the ball back, down just 3 points, with 2:15 seconds left. Plenty of time to get in FG range to tie or even score a game-winning TD.

Also consider just prior to that last drive, LSU's punter boomed a 61-yard punt that backed us up to our 23. Had he hit a normal punt, we almost assuredly get that ball back near mid-field with over 2 minutes left, and a lot less desperate.

LSU game was not "garbage time". LSU failed to even score in the 2nd half.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 05:10 PM
He was in 2008- and had Mullen not hired him- he was going to be fired

Wow... didn't realize you were so connected with urban Meyer

lamont
01-05-2017, 05:29 PM
RP, you're correct on the AU game, but not on LSU. We got the ball back, down just 3 points, with 2:15 seconds left. Plenty of time to get in FG range to tie or even score a game-winning TD.

Also consider just prior to that last drive, LSU's punter boomed a 61-yard punt that backed us up to our 23. Had he hit a normal punt, we almost assuredly get that ball back near mid-field with over 2 minutes left, and a lot less desperate.

LSU game was not "garbage time". LSU failed to even score in the 2nd half.

LSU was up 23-6 with 5 mins left in the game. They relaxed a little and Williams surprised them with 2 passes. When we got the ball back that last time- we got 2 yards in 4 downs. LSU got serious again and stuffed our ass- just like they had the first 55 mins of the game.

lamont
01-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Wow... didn't realize you were so connected with urban Meyer

"If you dont know, now ya know"- Biggie

msstate7
01-05-2017, 05:38 PM
"If you dont know, now ya know"- Biggie

Haha

3rdGen
01-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Wow! I just need a minute to change my draws! ........ DAMNIT! It happened again. Be right back.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Exactly. It's not unreasonable at all for a recruit to want to know their position coach. We need to either move him to the office or fire him. I don't care which we do.

NCDawg
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Exactly. It's not unreasonable at all for a recruit to want to know their position coach. We need to either move him to the office or fire him. I don't care which we do.

Agreed. Now if someone could convince the Head Coach.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 08:35 PM
In the same thread guys are saying Hev needs to just not talk to recruits bc he rubs them wrong and then others are pissed for doing what the others want.

I definitely think Hev needs to step up the oline recruiting, but Hev's oline outperformed a bunch of sec teams that have more stars on the oline. Hev performed solid this year and I expect another solid year next season

blacklistedbully
01-05-2017, 08:49 PM
LSU was up 23-6 with 5 mins left in the game. They relaxed a little and Williams surprised them with 2 passes. When we got the ball back that last time- we got 2 yards in 4 downs. LSU got serious again and stuffed our ass- just like they had the first 55 mins of the game.

Down 3 with 2:15 left in a game is not a game that was made close due to "garbage time". You're being misleading when you reference them being up 23-6 with 5 minutes left, because you are leaving out the fact that at that point we were 1st & 10 on the LSU 25, about to get a TD to make it 23-13. A minute and 1/2 later it was 23-20.

lamont
01-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Down 3 with 2:15 left in a game is not a game that was made close due to "garbage time". You're being misleading when you reference them being up 23-6 with 5 minutes left, because you are leaving out the fact that at that point we were 1st & 10 on the LSU 25, about to get a TD to make it 23-13. A minute and 1/2 later it was 23-20.

I'm not being misleading at all. We werent doing shit on offense for 55 minutes and LSU was in complete control of the game. Damien came in and provided a spark somehow that they werent expecting. We got 2 quick scores because their guys relaxed and thought the game was over. When we got the ball back with 2 mins left- their D got motivated again and completely stuffed our ass like they had the 1st 55 mins.

Is that LSU's fault for relaxing? Absolutely. But to act like we were doing anything offensively against them is ridiculous. We had 270 total yards of offense that night- and got 100 of those in the last 5 mins. For the first 54 mins of the game- we had 170 yards of offense. We were being dominated.

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 09:28 PM
In the same thread guys are saying Hev needs to just not talk to recruits bc he rubs them wrong and then others are pissed for doing what the others want.

I definitely think Hev needs to step up the oline recruiting, but Hev's oline outperformed a bunch of sec teams that have more stars on the oline. Hev performed solid this year and I expect another solid year next season

The final overall stats do indeed not look that bad.

However, upon taking a deeper look into the stats, I wouldn't say Hev performed solid the whole year. More like half a year.

We had less than 400 yds total offense against USA, LSU (less than 300 at 270), AU (less than 300 at 289), BYU, and KY. Less than 100 yds rushing against USA and LSU (only 56), and only 103 against AU.

We had 3 seniors, including our center, who had all started for multiple years. Calhoun and Jenkins are RS Sophs who had started before, and Rankin was a Juco 4* who had redshirted a year. Took half a year to get going which shouldn't happen at all, much less when your first 6 games have USA, a very bad USCe team, Umass & KY. Came out of that stretch 2-4.

It shouldn't have taken so long to get that group playing pretty decent, especially against 4 of the 1st 6 teams IMO. And my perception has always been it takes a while for him to get a group to gell and play together cohesively.

I'm not saying fire Hev just yet, but taking into account this and what seems to be fairly solid evidence of his recruiting deficiencies, I'd say the leash needs to be somewhat shortened up here.

I'm personally giving the whole staff some rope and waiting to see what happens with the rest of recruiting and then next season too.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 09:34 PM

However, upon taking a deeper look into the stats, I wouldn't say Hev performed solid the whole year. More like half a year.

We had less than 400 yds total offense against USA, LSU (less than 300 at 270), AU (less than 300 at 289), BYU, and KY. Less than 100 yds rushing against USA and LSU (only 56), and only 103 against AU.

We had 3 seniors, including our center, who had all started for multiple years. Calhoun and Jenkins are RS Sophs who had started before, and Rankin was a Juco 4* who had redshirted a year. Took half a year to get going which shouldn't happen at all, much less when your first 6 games have USA, a very bad USCe team, Umass & KY. Came out of that stretch 2-4.

It shouldn't have taken so long to get that group playing pretty decent, especially against 4 of the 1st 6 teams IMO. And my perception has always been it takes a while for him to get a group to gell and play together cohesively.

I'm not saying fire Hev just yet, but taking into account this and what seems to be fairly solid evidence of his recruiting deficiencies, I'd say the leash needs to be somewhat shortened up here.

I'm personally giving the whole staff some rope and waiting to see what happens with the rest of recruiting and then next season too.

I'm sure some of the early season troubles can be blamed on the oline. I also think some can be blamed on Mullen for pulling fitz vs USA, wr drops, rb personnel decisions, and fitz getting comfortable.

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm sure some of the early season troubles can be blamed on the oline. I also think some can be blamed on Mullen for pulling fitz vs USA, wr drops, rb personnel decisions, and fitz getting comfortable.

I'll agree on those points. Early season with exception of AU & KY the D actually played good enough for us to win. It's a combination of many things this past year, thus my giving the whole staff rope to see what happens next year. With the flipped schedule I'll probably give them some rope next year too on the overall record (as long as we don't play 2 hand touch football for about 6 of the 12 games).

2018 is a different story tho.

blacklistedbully
01-05-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm not being misleading at all. We werent doing shit on offense for 55 minutes and LSU was in complete control of the game. Damien came in and provided a spark somehow that they werent expecting. We got 2 quick scores because their guys relaxed and thought the game was over. When we got the ball back with 2 mins left- their D got motivated again and completely stuffed our ass like they had the 1st 55 mins.

Is that LSU's fault for relaxing? Absolutely. But to act like we were doing anything offensively against them is ridiculous. We had 270 total yards of offense that night- and got 100 of those in the last 5 mins. For the first 54 mins of the game- we had 170 yards of offense. We were being dominated.

How many points did LSU score in the 2nd half? Were they playing their backups? Were they playing prevent? If not, it wasn't "garbage time". If they were, then it was just another example of Les Miles having yet another brain-fart and doing something really stupid.

lamont
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
How many points did LSU score in the 2nd half? Were they playing their backups? Were they playing prevent? If not, it wasn't "garbage time". Of they were, then it was just another example of Les Miles having yet another brain-fart.

sighhhhhh...ok...we had 170 yards of offense thru 54 minutes of the game and we just decided to be awesome the last 5 minutes. You win

blacklistedbully
01-06-2017, 12:39 AM
sighhhhhh...ok...we had 170 yards of offense thru 54 minutes of the game and we just decided to be awesome the last 5 minutes. You win

RP, I know we sucked ass most of the game...but LSU also sucked a large part of the 2nd half. In any case, I just don't think you can call it "garbage time" unless the game is truly out-of-reach, and the team ahead has shifted to prevent and/or gone to backups.

The very fact that we were able to get within 3 and force an LSU punt from deep in their territory with over 2 minutes left is evidence it wasn't garbage time. That doesn't mean we weren't out-played overall....just that I don't think it qualifies as "garbage time". Had we managed to pull that one out, we would have "stolen" one.

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 03:01 AM

I think that was Hevesy being a blind squirrel finding a nut after Calhoun got hurt because that caused us to play Jenkins more at LG and move Desper to RG and then everything suddenly clicked. Why was he not able to figure that out before midseason? So, I think it goes deeper than just recruiting with him. He misevaluates our guys and where they fit in sometimes as well. And that hurts us a lot too. Had those injuries not happened who knows what happens?

I think his strength is he knows a lot about how to play o-line which is a good thing obviously but at the end of the day there's more to it and in college you have to be able to recruit, evaluate, and figure out where all the pieces go.

And to be totally fair we have had personnel issues at other position groups as well. But you are right there are too many obvious issues with him that it's hard to look past the recruiting issues alone. It's just shocking that he has been allowed to go on for so long as is. Even Croom was going to demote McCorvey before he got fired and Byrne never gave him a chance to do it- not that I'm complaining but just saying it's bad when Croom has more insight into what's holding the team back than Dan. It's going to take Cohen and/or the boosters stepping up to fix it. And going back to the title of the thread, I would definitely tell Dan no extension if Hevesy is still on the field coaching with the option to demote vs. firing him.

1bigdawg
01-06-2017, 07:52 AM

Why not. He had had years of the same problem repeating itself. If he was going to get better, it would have happened by now.

1bigdawg
01-06-2017, 07:53 AM

I am not sure I understand you 7. Are you saying we should keep Hev, but fire Mullen.**

Seriously, something needs to change if we want to improve to have a consistently solid offense.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 07:55 AM
I am not sure I understand you 7. Are you saying we should keep Hev, but fire Mullen.**

Seriously, something needs to change if we want to improve to have a consistently solid offense.

Hev for HC. I could deal with it just to see the melt here******

1bigdawg
01-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Hev's history:

He was OL coach at Florida, then Mullen brought in Addazio as Centers/Guards coach and "moved" Hev to OT/TE coach. That was not necessarily a demotion, just a change. Then the next year, he made Addazio OL coach and moved Hev to TE coach. The no way to put lipstick on that pig. I have no idea if Meyer was really going to fire Hev when Mullen hired him, but he does usually have an ace recruiter at the TE coach position. (Hev is not an ace recruiter.)

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Hev's history:

He was OL coach at Florida, then Mullen brought in Addazio as Centers/Guards coach and "moved" Hev to OT/TE coach. That was not necessarily a demotion, just a change. Then the next year, he made Addazio OL coach and moved Hev to TE coach. The no way to put lipstick on that pig. I have no idea if Meyer was really going to fire Hev when Mullen hired him, but he does usually have an ace recruiter at the TE coach position. (Hev is not an ace recruiter.)

That's not exactly right. Addaizo joined in 2005 as the TE/T coach until 2007 when he and Hev flipped positions. Addaizo then went to Interior OL, AHC was also added and Hev went to T/TE. Then Hev left with Mullen after the 2008 season

NCDawg
01-06-2017, 11:16 AM
That's not exactly right. Addaizo joined in 2005 as the TE/T coach until 2007 when he and Hev flipped positions. Addaizo then went to Interior OL, AHC was also added and Hev went to T/TE. Then Hev left with Mullen after the 2008 season

Whatever, Meyer has sense enough to know Hevesy wasn't getting the job done on the OL, therefore, he moved him. It's a shame that Mullen, due to his devoted friendship with his friend, can't see Hevesy isn't the OL coach needed to move us to a higher level.

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Whatever, Meyer has sense enough to know Hevesy wasn't getting the job done on the OL, therefore, he moved him. It's a shame that Mullen, due to his devoted friendship with his friend, can't see Hevesy isn't the OL coach needed to move us to a higher level.

That not correct either. They just won the national title and wanted to flip those two around. He was grooming Addaizo to take over for Dan and Hev was still an OL coach. Just work more with the tackles and TE's. They won a title both ways.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM

So much sense that Hevesy was still helping call plays at Florida when he left.

MedDawg
01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
That not correct either. They just won the national title and wanted to flip those two around. He was grooming Addaizo to take over for Dan and Hev was still an OL coach. Just work more with the tackles and TE's. They won a title both ways.

Since many agree that Hev can coach OL but not recruit OL, does anyone have any facts as to who Hev recruited/signed on the OL at Florida? Was he signing 4 and 5 star OL recruits for them?

By the way, per the OP's subject title in this thread, is there any indication that Mullen firing Hev is anything other than wishful thinking? Just because people say it over and over on the message boards doesn't mean it is anywhere close to happening, but some talk as if Cohen will make it happen, etc. Cohen or any other AD anywhere isn't about to tell a head coach to fire an assistant position coach, especially two years from a record-setting offense.

Really Clark?
01-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Since many agree that Hev can coach OL but not recruit OL, does anyone have any facts as to who Hev recruited/signed on the OL at Florida? Was he signing 4 and 5 star OL recruits for them?

He signed Percy Harvin, if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the thing. First off I've said several times now we should replace him. He can coach OL but his recruiting is crap for the most part. Now when he actually recruits at times he can hit it out of the park. Chris Jones, Dak, etc. guys who like him (because nobody talks about this side of the equation) really really like him. But he is going to hit .150 and strikeout 225 times in a season. The reward for his coaching is not overcoming his recruiting risks. I don't care if an OL coach is a great recruiter, that irrelevant to me. But he can't be a detriment either.

ETA. My bad, Gonzo signed Harvin. Chris Jones and Rankin are his 2 highest recruits here and of course he got Dak.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Here is the thing. First off I've said several times now we should replace him. He can coach OL but his recruiting is crap for the most part. Now when he actually recruits at times he can hit it out of the park. Chris Jones, Dak, etc. guys who like him (because nobody talks about this side of the equation) really really like him. But he is going to hit .150 and strikeout 225 times in a season. The reward for his coaching is not overcoming his recruiting risks. I don't care if an OL coach is a great recruiter, that irrelevant to me. But he can't be a detriment either.

Name someone on our staff besides Mullen with 3 better signees than Percy Harvin, Chris Jones and Dak Prescott. Hev might be only batting .125 but that's with 3 walkoff grand slams in the World Series. Seems the error here is on who we place Hev with to recruit. Identify the type that love him and pair him with those guys.

dawgday166
01-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Why not. He had had years of the same problem repeating itself. If he was going to get better, it would have happened by now.

I've decided to hang for 2 more years and see if we can have another peak as good as or better than '14 with whatever staff Mullen decides upon. Cause ultimately ... Dan will get the credit if we peak and IMO should get the blame if we don't get there.

In '18, anything less than 10 regular season wins I'd be questioning personally. Fitz will be a RS senior. Key and Kyllin Hill will be RS freshmen probably. We should be loaded at RB. The 2015 stud recruiting class will be seniors, or RS juniors. These Jucos we just signed will be seniors. There shouldn't be any excuses or moral victories that year. No excuses about RBs that can't pass block. No moral victories like "Well if Dan had just called that timeout against LSU" or "if we had just made that FG" or anything like that. I think we should expect to beat everyone in the west, but will accept a close loss to Bama.

It's up to Dan to get all this melded together and working almost as precise as "the process" just east of Starkville. If he doesn't then it's on him IMO. We'll see what happens.

thf24
01-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Name someone on our staff besides Mullen with 3 better signees than Percy Harvin, Chris Jones and Dak Prescott. Hev might be only batting .125 but that's with 3 walkoff grand slams in the World Series. Seems the error here is on who we place Hev with to recruit. Identify the type that love him and pair him with those guys.

Those aren't the only high profile croots Hev has gotten or helped out with. I think the real point here is that Hev doesn't have any problems recruiting players who don't have to play directly for him in the near future. I suppose it's semantics though since whatever the root problem is, there's been no signs in 8 years that's it's attempting to be solved.

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 12:55 PM
RP, I know we sucked ass most of the game...but LSU also sucked a large part of the 2nd half. In any case, I just don't think you can call it "garbage time" unless the game is truly out-of-reach, and the team ahead has shifted to prevent and/or gone to backups.

The very fact that we were able to get within 3 and force an LSU punt from deep in their territory with over 2 minutes left is evidence it wasn't garbage time. That doesn't mean we weren't out-played overall....just that I don't think it qualifies as "garbage time". Had we managed to pull that one out, we would have "stolen" one.

It's ****ing semantics!!! They didn't let us do dick until the game was almost over. It was basically a 3 yr old taking swings at a high school kid while the high school kid has his hand on the 3 yr olds face keeping him away. No damage at all.

dawg27
01-06-2017, 02:47 PM
The thing about stats is they only tell the story about what you actually have and not what the stats would be if you had better talent, so there's no comparison. That said we can assume that better talent would likely result in better production- even though the production may not be statistically "bad".

Here's the difference between the safeties and o-line for us. Our safety coach left last year. So if it was a coaching issue that was resolved. Hughes while I don't think he was the best coach on our staff brought value with his recruiting. We went out and landed two really good JUCO safeties to help try to fix the problem. On the o-line we constantly miss our targets and nothing seems to be done about it. While our o-line is good enough to do well against lesser SEC teams and OOC teams, it constantly struggles with top level SEC teams to the point where you could argue that it is holding us back from getting more signature wins.

Hevesy has ZERO o-linemen drafted by the NFL that played for him for 4-5 years that weren't recruited by Sylvester Croom. He has had a couple of free agents like Clausell and Day but neither of those are likely long term NFL players.

Good post they do OK against lower level teams but if we're going to be anything ever better than a 6 to 7 win team we have got to get some-better talent that can compete with good teams.

NCDawg
01-06-2017, 04:06 PM
I think that was Hevesy being a blind squirrel finding a nut after Calhoun got hurt because that caused us to play Jenkins more at LG and move Desper to RG and then everything suddenly clicked. Why was he not able to figure that out before midseason? So, I think it goes deeper than just recruiting with him. He misevaluates our guys and where they fit in sometimes as well. And that hurts us a lot too. Had those injuries not happened who knows what happens?

I think his strength is he knows a lot about how to play o-line which is a good thing obviously but at the end of the day there's more to it and in college you have to be able to recruit, evaluate, and figure out where all the pieces go.

And to be totally fair we have had personnel issues at other position groups as well. But you are right there are too many obvious issues with him that it's hard to look past the recruiting issues alone. It's just shocking that he has been allowed to go on for so long as is. Even Croom was going to demote McCorvey before he got fired and Byrne never gave him a chance to do it- not that I'm complaining but just saying it's bad when Croom has more insight into what's holding the team back than Dan. It's going to take Cohen and/or the boosters stepping up to fix it. And going back to the title of the thread, I would definitely tell Dan no extension if Hevesy is still on the field coaching with the option to demote vs. firing him.

I agree 100%.

DeputyDawg94
01-06-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm curios to see where Jenkins lines up in the first game next season. If it's not LG then there is definitely a problem with the coaching. He was absolutely dominant against OM from that position.

blacklistedbully
01-06-2017, 05:01 PM
It's ****ing semantics!!! They didn't let us do dick until the game was almost over. It was basically a 3 yr old taking swings at a high school kid while the high school kid has his hand on the 3 yr olds face keeping him away. No damage at all.

Disagree. I don't think "garbage time" is ever in play while a game is still within reach, particularly if the other team is not subbing backups heavily and going prevent. Games almost always turn on momentum. It can be seized at any given time and turn a game around. "Garbage time" is strictly a case where, no matter what the losing team does, there is no hope of winning.

All this said, if Les Miles weren't coaching LSU that day, and there had been someone less conservative,etc, there's a much better chance it would have been "garbage time" for us.

There are plenty of games every year where the team that was vastly out-played won. Hell, Ole Miss has made a living off some games like that.

1bigdawg
01-06-2017, 08:49 PM

ETA. My bad, Gonzo signed Harvin. Chris Jones and Rankin are his 2 highest recruits here and of course he got Dak.

The point is that Hev is a huge detriment to OL recruiting. Rankin is from Mendenhall. There is a full scholarship program to UNM there and they still can't get high school kids from there to go to UNM. It is easier than recruiting Starkville.

Bucky Dog
01-06-2017, 09:08 PM

So USC scoring 17 points in the final 5:00 against PSU shouldn't count as a victory because PSU went in the prevent for two drives at the end of the game?! Ok got it!

blacklistedbully
01-06-2017, 09:41 PM
2nd half of the LSU game total yards before that final MSU possession, after we got to 20-23:
LSU - 95
MSU - 191

We held them to almost as few yards in the 2nd half as they did us in the first half. The real difference is they put it on us in the first half. But they were not "in control" for all but 5 minutes of the game.

In fact, in the 2nd half we held them to 3 straight 3-and-outs, followed by the only drive they had that got a first down, followed by another 3 & out.

I seriously don't think going 3-and-out in 4 of 5 drives was LSU "easing up on us".

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 10:24 PM
So USC scoring 17 points in the final 5:00 against PSU shouldn't count as a victory because PSU went in the prevent for two drives at the end of the game?! Ok got it!

I would equate that to the 1997 Egg Bowl where we dominated pretty much the whole game and lost because we went to prevent defense and then lost on a two point conversion.

Bucky Dog
01-06-2017, 10:29 PM
I would equate that to the 1997 Egg Bowl where we dominated pretty much the whole game and lost because we went to prevent defense and then lost on a two point conversion.

Exactly my point. They game is never out of reach until it's over and out of reach so to speak. RP summizing LSU laid down and gave us those points to make it close then buttoned up on D is not correct. We adjusted on O with DW and play calling and our D in the second half was very good. PSU did not go into the prevent, but USC went hurry up and found some plays and things late to catch up after PSU had shut them down for the middle two quarters and most of the fourth.

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Exactly my point. They game is never out of reach until it's over and out of reach so to speak. RP summizing LSU laid down and gave us those points to make it close then buttoned up on D is not correct. We adjusted on O with DW and play calling and our D in the second half was very good. PSU did not go into the prevent, but USC went hurry up and found some plays and things late to catch up after PSU had shut them down for the middle two quarters and most of the fourth.

I agree. It's sort of like winning a baseball game 4-1 with the team having four runs on five hits and the other team having 1 run on 10 hits. It's very possible to dominate a game statistics wise and still lose. That's why the only sat that really matters is the score. At the same time RP is correct that LSU went to prevent and you are correct that we made some adjustments to get us back in the game. We also recovered an onsides kick and that stole a possession for us and allowed us to get a little closer. Unfortunately for us, LSU clamped down and brought the heat and finished us off.

Stats tell some of the story, but not the whole story.

blacklistedbully
01-07-2017, 06:10 PM
I agree. It's sort of like winning a baseball game 4-1 with the team having four runs on five hits and the other team having 1 run on 10 hits. It's very possible to dominate a game statistics wise and still lose. That's why the only sat that really matters is the score. At the same time RP is correct that LSU went to prevent and you are correct that we made some adjustments to get us back in the game. We also recovered an onsides kick and that stole a possession for us and allowed us to get a little closer. Unfortunately for us, LSU clamped down and brought the heat and finished us off.

Stats tell some of the story, but not the whole story.

Unfortunately for us, LSU boomed a 61-yard punt to put us at our own 23, then our 1st-down play was a Holloway-for-2 play to put us behind the sticks. Even with that, on the 4th down play, Fred Ross was open for a 1st-down, but D Will was brutally slow in recognizing it, then actually stopped his roll out to make the play, allowing the LSU D-lineman to catch up to him 4 seconds after the snap.