PDA

View Full Version : Paul Gainer

Pages : [1] 2

HaggardDawg
01-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Decommits. That sucks

CadaverDawg
01-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Shit. What a damn shit show our recruiting is.

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 11:04 PM
****..why did he decommit?

Cooterpoot
01-04-2017, 11:05 PM
He was told to look around.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM

I suppose we have a replacement?

CadaverDawg
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM

What??? WE told an OL to look elsewhere? Did he lose a leg or something?

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 11:07 PM

Bull...shit. Who told you that? Let me guess, Paul Jones.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:10 PM

I have no idea who told em or if it's true, but didn't word get out about a good many olinemen setting up visits? I hope we initiated this anyway

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Is it really that farfetched? He's showing zero other Power 5 offers on 247. I honestly haven't followed his recruitment that much, so I really don't know.

Really Clark?
01-04-2017, 11:12 PM
He is worried about our depth chart but he still may come for an OV.

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Gainer is/was a 4* on espn and had heard good things about him.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:13 PM

That's hilarious... our depth chart? On the oline? Lol

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 11:14 PM

That sounds weird.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Is it really that farfetched? He's showing zero other Power 5 offers on 247. I honestly haven't followed his recruitment that much, so I really don't know.

None of our linemen ever have Power 5 offers except for Rankin. He is one of only 3 commits at a major position of need after signing two last year. Why evaluate, offer, and recruit only to cut 1 month before signing day. If that's the truth, that's horrible too. He's also a guy that performed well in the MS/AL all star game.

lamont
01-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Hev gonna Hev.

We in no way have better options and told him to look around. Complete Bullshit

Really Clark?
01-04-2017, 11:16 PM
That's hilarious... our depth chart? On the oline? Lol

He is strickly a guard so it is kind of crowded there. I don't know, supposedly he has someone in his ear but his other offers are not Power 5 right now. USM, ULL and UCF has shown some interest lately. We will see how it plays out.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Hev gonna Hev.

What's his better option? ULL and Usm?

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 11:19 PM
None of our linemen ever have Power 5 offers except for Rankin. He is one of only 3 commits at a major position of need after signing two last year. Why evaluate, offer, and recruit only to cut 1 month before signing day. If that's the truth, that's horrible too. He's also a guy that performed well in the MS/AL all star game.

I totally agree, its either an evaluation miss or a miss in "showing enough love". Not questioning that it sucks either way. But he doesn't really seem to have many other options, so it seemed plausible that we really might have told him to go elsewhere. That's more believable than the fact that we got beat out by ULL or Memphis for his signature.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:19 PM

Reese and Williams

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Is Williams gonna be able to play football anymore?

lamont
01-04-2017, 11:24 PM
What's his better option? ULL and Usm?

So we have spent a couple years recruiting a guy that is not SEC-worthy and had him committed- only to drop him the last month?

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 11:25 PM
We need to start spreading OL recruiting into 2 categories.

Guards - We are doing ok here. We've got quality options and depth

Tackles - We have been absolutely hideous here. Big problem.

With that being said, Gainer was a guard, so I don't see this as a huge deal. Our lack of tackles is a firable offense. He's has to be the worst OL evaluator we've ever had.

You can overcome bad recruiting with a good evaluator

You can't overcome both

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
So we have spent a couple years recruiting a guy that is not SEC-worthy and had him committed- only to drop him the last month?

Terrible evaluation. The guy doesn't even have another power 5 offer. What frustrates me more than Hev being a weak recruiter is how terrible of an evaluator he is. This is an indictment on Hev's evaluation ability. Not recruiting ability.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Reese and Williams

4 of our 5 starters had a combined Zero Power 5 offers. Breathe that in and let it marinate before you respond with our stats vs Samford or Wisconsins oline offers.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:32 PM
4 of our 5 starters had a combined Zero Power 5 offers. Breathe that in and let it marinate before you respond with our stats vs Samford or Wisconsins oline offers.

Ok... what's that even mean about wisconsins oline offers? I was just fact checking haha

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:34 PM

It happens... ask chason Virgil

Really Clark?
01-04-2017, 11:38 PM

I don't think we completely dropped him but he was concerned about our depth at guard and there is a debate whether to continue to push to get him back in the fold. Let's see what happens with an OV. And no, I've stated that while Hev can be a good OL coach, his recruiting is a complete albatross on the staff. But haven't heard that Hev screwed the recruiting in this one. They do feel good about the interior right now and are really focused on tackle prospects (they had better get at least 2 good prospects). From his side I don't understand it other than wanting to go to a smaller school thinking he has a better chance to start early.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2017, 11:42 PM

Lose your crap over a 3* kid with offers from USM and ULL often?
It's a numbers game. He's a borderline prospect at a spot we're deep at. He's a redshirt project regardless. He doesn't fill the tackle need we've got. Depending on how some things fall, he could still end up signing.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Lose your crap over a 3* kid with offers from USM and ULL often?
It's a numbers game. He's a borderline prospect at a spot we're deep at. He's a redshirt project regardless. He doesn't fill the tackle need we've got. Depending on how some things fall, he could still end up signing.

Thanks Paul.

Paul Jones
01-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Thanks Paul.

Your welcome

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Your welcome

Haha

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Your welcome

LOL!

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Now that was hilarious!!

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Your welcome

Lol

Jack Lambert
01-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Hev gonna Hev.

Hev wasn't his recruiter

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Hev wasn't his recruiter

SMH. People still don't understand the whole position coach thing I see.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 12:09 AM

I don't get you sometimes. In the same thread, you melt bc our oline has no P5 offers and melt over losing an olineman with no P5 offers. Chill, we gotta a 5* lined up**

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:10 AM
He is strickly a guard so it is kind of crowded there. I don't know, supposedly he has someone in his ear but his other offers are not Power 5 right now. USM, ULL and UCF has shown some interest lately. We will see how it plays out.

He's a CENTER. Of which we have zero on our depth chart right now.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
I don't think we completely dropped him but he was concerned about our depth at guard and there is a debate whether to continue to push to get him back in the fold. Let's see what happens with an OV. And no, I've stated that while Hev can be a good OL coach, his recruiting is a complete albatross on the staff. But haven't heard that Hev screwed the recruiting in this one. They do feel good about the interior right now and are really focused on tackle prospects (they had better get at least 2 good prospects). From his side I don't understand it other than wanting to go to a smaller school thinking he has a better chance to start early.

Completely illogical. You have to recruit for 3-5 years out- not next year on the o-line when we are talking about high school prospects.

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:15 AM
He's a CENTER. Of which we have zero on our depth chart right now.

He is a guard who might be a center eventually and would not be a center next year regardless.

Bothrops
01-05-2017, 12:17 AM
I bet there are ZERO tackle prospects remaining, that we have the faintest chance with, that aren't total projects.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:17 AM
We need to start spreading OL recruiting into 2 categories.

Guards - We are doing ok here. We've got quality options and depth

Tackles - We have been absolutely hideous here. Big problem.

With that being said, Gainer was a guard, so I don't see this as a huge deal. Our lack of tackles is a firable offense. He's has to be the worst OL evaluator we've ever had.

You can overcome bad recruiting with a good evaluator

You can't overcome both

It's time for Cohen to nut up and tell Dan to put Hev out to pasture. And that pasture could be sitting his ass in our front office collecting a check. He just needs to GTFO of our staff.

I think his lack of evaluation is part of the reason why he has to play everyone at every position because he can't figure it out on the front end.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 12:19 AM
He is a guard who might be a center eventually and would not be a center next year regardless.

Our coaches projected him at C. None of the HS linemen we sign will play next year.

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Completely illogical. You have to recruit for 3-5 years out- not next year on the o-line when we are talking about high school prospects.

What's illogical? His thinking, I agree. I said I don't think we dropped him but there is questions on whether he will be able to hold up. He didn't add size. But we will see if we bring him on an OV. I would like to have him, I think there is something there.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:20 AM

He should redshirt next year regardless. And my point being if he was so concerned about the depth chart I find it hard to believe that there are very many if any SEC schools that have a thinner depth chart at a position he could actually play at- our center position- than us.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 12:21 AM
I bet there are ZERO tackle prospects remaining, that we have the faintest chance with, that aren't total projects.

Carty and Rhodes have multiple P5 offers

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Our coaches projected him at C. None of the HS linemen we sign will play next year.

I know none of them will play next year. That's why the zero centers on the roster is irrelevant for next year.

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:24 AM
He should redshirt next year regardless. And my point being if he was so concerned about the depth chart I find it hard to believe that there are very many if any SEC schools that have a thinner depth chart at a position he could actually play at- our center position- than us.

Again, I don't think he is thinking this through either. Someone is talking to him about our depth chart and he is listening. We will see if we push to get him to OV and get him back or just go another direction.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Thanks Paul.

Did Paul put something on twitter? Cause I don't pay for recruiting info. But if you want to panic over this kid, go ahead. Is he your brother or something? He's a project. Let him play at USM. He's easily replaceable.

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:26 AM
And for the record TBuck is his primary recruiter and for the coast but obviously Hev is in charge of OL personnel.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:27 AM
What's illogical? His thinking, I agree. I said I don't think we dropped him but there is questions on whether he will be able to hold up. He didn't add size. But we will see if we bring him on an OV. I would like to have him, I think there is something there.

The thought that our staff is focusing on offensive tackles when we have two already committed from the high school ranks and then doing so in lieu of guard spots. If they are thinking that they are stupid because 3-5 years from now all we will have are centers and guards. And no, I don't think that is really what the staff is going for here. I don't think we dropped him either. We have to have at least one spot from missing on Hayes. Not to mention the talk that we were going to take another o-lineman before that even happened. You only drop a guy like this is you legitimately have all of your other spots filled or are 95% sure you have them filled. I don't think our staff did that either.

Personally, what probably did happen is Hevesy probably thought he was solid and just stopped recruiting him because he didn't think he had to worry about him. Not sure that's 100% the case but that's a common theme among our o-line recruits that we miss. That or Gainer wanted to take a visit and Hevesy told him to go 17 himself like Deon Mix.

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 12:28 AM
How about we save our frequent meltdown miles until February on this one. Not like LSU or sonebody is rolling in out of left field with an offer to this kid. If he ends up elsewhere, its either because our staff as a whole felt that he couldn't cut it or he was scared of the competition. In either case, it would be best for him not to be a part.of the class. And if he comes back in, I'd be glad to have him.

All that being said, Hev still sucks regardless of the outcome of this particular situation.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Did Paul put something on twitter? Cause I don't pay for recruiting info. But if you want to panic over this kid, go ahead. Is he your brother or something? He's a project. Let him play at USM. He's easily replaceable.

That's the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we replace him with no one.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2017, 12:34 AM
That's the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we replace him with no one.

And who really cares? Our needs on the OL were filled already minus a tackle spot. Be more pissed about that than this guy.

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:38 AM
The thought that our staff is focusing on offensive tackles when we have two already committed from the high school ranks and then doing so in lieu of guard spots. If they are thinking that they are stupid because 3-5 years from now all we will have are centers and guards. And no, I don't think that is really what the staff is going for here. I don't think we dropped him either. We have to have at least one spot from missing on Hayes. Not to mention the talk that we were going to take another o-lineman before that even happened. You only drop a guy like this is you legitimately have all of your other spots filled or are 95% sure you have them filled. I don't think our staff did that either.

Personally, what probably did happen is Hevesy probably thought he was solid and just stopped recruiting him because he didn't think he had to worry about him. Not sure that's 100% the case but that's a common theme among our o-line recruits that we miss. That or Gainer wanted to take a visit and Hevesy told him to go 17 himself like Deon Mix.

The only thing that makes any sense is if we feel extremely good about some recruits that effects the overall that were not thought to be available making the numbers tight. We did pick up some last minute surprises on defense at the early signing period. We signed 2 OL already, have 2 more committed and what? 10 left for next year. That leaves 2-3 max possible for OL in this class. They have better have that sealed up by signing day. Don't need to be left holding the bag at the end again this year. If LSU hadn't offered Cushenberry (a very low 3 star) last year it would be a little better. Of course Lashley as well but that last min offer really hurt in the end.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:42 AM
And who really cares? Our needs on the OL were filled already minus a tackle spot. Be more pissed about that than this guy.

Do you not understand how recruiting ultimately works? You'll care in five years when Key has NO ONE blocking for him like Dak. It's not just about next year. It's a 3-5 year developmental process. Shit like this is how you end up having to go JUCO heavy like we did this year. Where like you said Hevesy will probably fail AGAIN. I'm not pissed about next year. I'm pissed about the ramifications down the road.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2017, 12:46 AM
How about we save our frequent meltdown miles until February on this one. Not like LSU or sonebody is rolling in out of left field with an offer to this kid. If he ends up elsewhere, its either because our staff as a whole felt that he couldn't cut it or he was scared of the competition. In either case, it would be best for him not to be a part.of the class. And if he comes back in, I'd be glad to have him.

All that being said, Hev still sucks regardless of the outcome of this particular situation.

Whether we dropped him or not, this still is bad for Hev.

It's either bad recruiting or terrible evaluation. Either way, Hev sucks. We need an OL evaluator and get some kind of Barney deal to make Hev a recruiter only.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:48 AM
The only thing that makes any sense is if we feel extremely good about some recruits that effects the overall that were not thought to be available making the numbers tight. We did pick up some last minute surprises on defense at the early signing period. We signed 2 OL already, have 2 more committed and what? 10 left for next year. That leaves 2-3 max possible for OL in this class. They have better have that sealed up by signing day. Don't need to be left holding the bag at the end again this year. If LSU hadn't offered Cushenberry (a very low 3 star) last year it would be a little better. Of course Lashley as well but that last min offer really hurt in the end.

We should sign five every year. Paul and Rosebowl consistently have said that we were going to try to sign anywhere between 4-5 HS o-linemen and 2-3 JUCO o-linemen. So, yes by the math we should have three spots at least.

Recruiting at it's core is a selling job. And you can't just take things for granted or you are going to lose out on guys that you shouldn't sometimes like Lashley.

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 12:49 AM

It's either bad recruiting or terrible evaluation. Either way, Hev sucks. We need an OL evaluator and get some kind of Barney deal to make Hev a recruiter only.

Or just get a new o-line coach that isn't an idiot.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 03:03 AM
Y'all melt over the dumbest shit for football. It'd be difficult to find a more insignificant decommit from us in the last five years than this guy. Y'all just keep poking that Hev dead horse. Whine about it till Dan fires him seems to be the strategy being used by about five very active posters. It's annoying. Please stop. We all want Hevesy fired but we don't have to keep posting about it like we have Will James Tourettes.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 07:30 AM

LOL. Our "needs on the OL" haven't been "filled" since Mullen arrived at State with Hevesy. We've had to "make shit work", not "fill needs". Apparently you've gotten so used to it that you forgot. We are nowhere close to "filling OL needs", which is why we need as many developmental commits to sign as possible, so maybe we can piece mill a line to get us 6-7 wins 2-3 years from now. So that post is somewhat laughable imo

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Y'all melt over the dumbest shit for football. It'd be difficult to find a more insignificant decommit from us in the last five years than this guy. Y'all just keep poking that Hev dead horse. Whine about it till Dan fires him seems to be the strategy being used by about five very active posters. It's annoying. Please stop. We all want Hevesy fired but we don't have to keep posting about it like we have Will James Tourettes.

So you admit to wanting Hev gone, yet call one of our only OL commits "insignificant"? Doesn't make sense. This is the very reason the Hev horse deserves to be beaten continually....bc one of our best commits at one of our weakest positions, is "insignificant". That's a Big problem for a SEC West program.

defiantdog
01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Gainer is a good interior prospect. He doesn't want to redshirt and wants to play early. That's not gonna happen with us. I'm not supporting Hev because ive heard stories from recruits' parents that Hev "forgets" about recruits, but do you really want us to lie to Gainer and tell him he's going to start at guard next year? It sucks losing him because he's going to be good once he gets some weight on him. But he's not going to be good next year.

State82
01-05-2017, 08:59 AM
LOL. Our "needs on the OL" haven't been "filled" since Mullen arrived at State with Hevesy. We've had to "make shit work", not "fill needs".

And this is the most disconcerting part of our entire OL shit show situation.

fader2103
01-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Everyone needs to chill its obvious we are getting into the Flipping our own recruit business****

Jack Lambert
01-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Tell me what did Hev do to cause this kid to change mind since he first committed? Hev was the same coach win he committed as he is now.

fader2103
01-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Tell me what did Hev do to cause this kid to change mind since he first committed? Hev was the same coach win he committed as he is now.

people are gonna say he quit calling him, visits, twittin him, etc... Look I dunno if we told him to look elsewhere or if he has someone in his ear. The fact is right now he is no longer a bulldog, I don't care its not a huge position of need at the moment, with him being a guard. Now if he was a tackle then I would have a blood pressure doc visit set up.

BankerDog
01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
So we're gonna complain when we take guys who have no other P5 offers, but when we tell said prospect he might want to look around because he doesn't like what he hears and we have some other guys who want offers (who also have P5 offers) we get mad? This is the most Mississippi State Fan thing ever.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
people are gonna say he quit calling him, visits, twittin him, etc... Look I dunno if we told him to look elsewhere or if he has someone in his ear. The fact is right now he is no longer a bulldog, I don't care its not a huge position of need at the moment, with him being a guard. Now if he was a tackle then I would have a blood pressure doc visit set up.

I wondered did his actual recruiter stop calling?

fader2103
01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
I wondered did his actual recruiter stop calling?

according to some on here it seems like his primary recruiter is there to get a foot in the door and hand over a packet to his position coach, then wash their hands of them. T. Buckley is the primary recruiter but I haven't seen his name mentioned one time in negativity on MSU losing this guy. I think we told him to look elsewhere.

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 09:34 AM

That's why I included that last sentence in my post above about Hev sucking.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
LOL. Our "needs on the OL" haven't been "filled" since Mullen arrived at State with Hevesy. We've had to "make shit work", not "fill needs". Apparently you've gotten so used to it that you forgot. We are nowhere close to "filling OL needs", which is why we need as many developmental commits to sign as possible, so maybe we can piece mill a line to get us 6-7 wins 2-3 years from now. So that post is somewhat laughable imo

We've got 2 NFL guys on our OL right now. If you expect us to recruit like Bama, you'll be unhappy the rest of your natural life. The problem is at the right tackle spot now. We've got a couple good ones coming in but we still need tackles.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2017, 09:40 AM
If only Ben Howland would yell at his players, then maybe John Hevesy would recruit better...

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
If only Ben Howland would yell at his players, then maybe John Hevesy would recruit better...

We'd rush for 500 yards per game if Hev would get more sideline warnings.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 09:55 AM
So you admit to wanting Hev gone, yet call one of our only OL commits "insignificant"? Doesn't make sense. This is the very reason the Hev horse deserves to be beaten continually....bc one of our best commits at one of our weakest positions, is "insignificant". That's a Big problem for a SEC West program.

He is a GUARD. We need/want a TACKLE. Not gonna be difficult to find an upgrade for a guy with zero P5 offers.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
We've got 2 NFL guys on our OL right now. If you expect us to recruit like Bama, you'll be unhappy the rest of your natural life. The problem is at the right tackle spot now. We've got a couple good ones coming in but we still need tackles.

Get out of here with that shit. Nobody expects us to recruit like Bama. And I'll believe we have 2 NFL OL when I see it. If you think we're "all set" and in a good position with our current OL, then I can't take you serious ever again on this board bc you have no clue. You are seriously trying to tell me that we have "met all of our OL needs"? What are our needs....that they are above 6'2 and have a pulse, 2 legs, and a pair of arms?

We NEED to get better on the OL. Especially with the next 5 years of running QB's and solid RB's. And since we cannot get a recruit with immediate upside at that position, it is crucial that we bring in as many developmental OL prospects as possible each year in hopes that enough pan out to be "average" SEC players....does that sound like a program that has "met all their OL needs" to you? You may be fine with an average to below average OL, but I'd like to see an above average to Good SEC line considering the backfield we're going to have.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 10:00 AM

When your offensive line gets 5 false starts in a row you probably should light their asses up Interloser_Dawg_EX

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 10:02 AM
He is a GUARD. We need/want a TACKLE. Not gonna be difficult to find an upgrade for a guy with zero P5 offers.

We are a year removed from starting a converted DT at Left Tackle and you wanna argue Guard/Tackle with me? Please, we'll take whatever we can get on the OL, & we all know it. And if it's so easy to find an upgrade, why don't we already have one committed in January with several spots open? Not nearly as cut & dry as u try to make it

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
We are a year removed from starting a converted DT at Left Tackle and you wanna argue Guard/Tackle with me? Please, we'll take whatever we can get on the OL, & we all know it. And if it's so easy to find an upgrade, why don't we already have one committed in January with several spots open? Not nearly as cut & dry as u try to make it

Cause it's not NSD and he decomitted less than 24 hours ago. If NSD comes and goes and we don't have an upgrade from this guy by all means continue beating that dead horsey. Till then...

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
And for the record TBuck is his primary recruiter and for the coast but obviously Hev is in charge of OL personnel.

Good heavens I thought we had relieved Hevesy from being anyone's primary recruiter. If we haven't we are idiots.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Good heavens I thought we had relieved Hevesy from being anyone's primary recruiter. If we haven't we are idiots.

No joke. I think we did remove him for the Golden Triangle area, but recruits still cite their position coach as being the main reason they choose a school.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
No joke. I think we did remove him for the Golden Triangle area, but recruits still cite their position coach as being the main reason they choose a school.

Oh, no doubt. But that will always be an issue to overcome as long as Hev is on staff. The guys is just super abrasive.

Reason2succeed
01-05-2017, 10:47 AM
If wish Mullen would fire Hev just to shut some of you the hell up!!! Jeez! Y'all b*tch and moan like women.

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 10:53 AM
The ONE thing that bothers me more than anything about Oline recruiting. I could be wrong on this but my perception is our target list usually seems to be pretty short. Offer 20 - 30 or hell maybe 40 olinemen ... not just pick out a few you think you have a chance at and go for them exclusively. Woo some others ... and some that don't come to camp. And I would like to see some offers to some corn fed white dudes from the Midwest included.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 10:57 AM
The ONE thing that bothers me more than anything about Oline recruiting. I could be wrong on this but my perception is our target list usually seems to be pretty short. Offer 20 - 30 or hell maybe 40 olinemen ... not just pick out a few you think you have a chance at and go for them exclusively. Woo some others ... and some that don't come to camp. And I would like to see some offers to some corn fed white dudes from the Midwest included.

We've offered over 60 closer to 70 OL this cycle.

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 11:01 AM
We've offered over 60 closer to 70 OL this cycle.

I thought I could be off base and it seems I was. Didn't know for sure ... just a perception from 247 target list and scout.

However I'm thinking with 60 or 70 ... why do we seem to be getting commits from guys with no P5 offers as often as we do. That's puzzling.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 11:06 AM
I thought I could be off base and it seems I was. Didn't know for sure ... just a perception from 247 target list and scout.

However I'm thinking with 60 or 70 ... why do we seem to be getting commits from guys with no P5 offers as often as we do. That's puzzling.

We have 4 OL commits 2 have multiple Power 5 & SEC offers & 2 don't.

Tommy Champion 5 Power 5 offers 3 SEC offers

Tyre Phillips 1 Power 5 offer 1 SEC offer

Cordavien Suggs 16 Power 5 offers 3 SEC offers

Montravious Richardson 1 Power 5 offer 1 SEC offer

They need to close on a couple more legit OL guys. We'll see how it goes this next month.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 11:11 AM

They need to close on a couple more legit OL guys. We'll see how it goes this next month.

Philips has been tabbed by Steve and many others as a guy who will need a redshirt. Richardson is said to have grade issues and may not qualify. Isn't his only other offer, Georgia State?

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I think you found a real positive in Hev's recruiting. It never really matters if a guy decommits but he never has other Power 5 offers anyway.

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 11:16 AM

IYOK, what all remaining OL targets have set up OV's with us?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Philips has been tabbed by Steve and many others as a guy who will need a redshirt. Richardson is said to have grade issues and may not qualify. Isn't his only other offer, Georgia State?

Most people said Phillips will RS because he's only played football for 3yrs. We'll see how he handles himself this spring. Richardson's gpa is fine just has to get a good ACT score. They expect him to make it.

lamont
01-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Most people said Phillips will RS because he's only played football for 3yrs. We'll see how he handles himself this spring. Richardson's gpa is fine just has to get a good ACT score. They expect him to make it.

Phillips is in no way ready to play SEC football. I've seen him live

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 11:31 AM
IYOK, what all remaining OL targets have set up OV's with us?

I expect

Toryque Bateman
Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Jordan Carty
Samir Martula
Henry Klinge III (Hasn't set up OV yet)

I'm sure there will be other names come up as the month goes on.

Ifyouonlyknew
Phillips is in no way ready to play SEC football. I've seen him live

I wasn't making a declaration 1 way or the other just answering the question.

Coach007
SAMIR MARTULA, and JORDAN RHODES

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Has Champion improved to the point where we expect him to contribute immediately or will he be RS'd as well?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Has Champion improved to the point where we expect him to contribute immediately or will he be RS'd as well?

I expect him to battle for 1 of the guard spots.

BankerDog
01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
I'll say this, as a former OL, I like Jordan Rhoades a heckuva lot better then Scott Lashley's film last year. No way Rhoades is a 3*.

And something I want to speak on. Everyone gets so upset about Lashley, "LT of the Future". If that's the case, why did the guy not play LT for West Point? He played RT. And had the worse pass protection footwork I've seen. And now he's playing guard at Bama. Also, I'm glad Bama paid up for him as it allowed us to go get Simmons.

Another prospect I will tell you is not a 4* prospect, and Todd is going to hate this, but it's Nick Hogan at NWR. I saw 4 games this year and I never saw the kid drive anyone off the ball. He stands straight up. It's bad. But you know what, people are going to gripe if we don't go get him because he's a 4* guy and from NWR even though he isn't a SEC player. Same thing I said about Damien Robinson, Jake Thomas, etc. He will be next year's Grant Harris. All the fans want him because he's a Dandy or high rated player; but isn't really a SEC player.

Go get Bateman, Rhoades, and Tucker. Those guys are studs.

HSVDawg
01-05-2017, 11:35 AM
I expect

Toryque Bateman
Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Jordan Carty
Samir Martula
Henry Klinge III (Hasn't set up OV yet)

I'm sure there will be other names come up as the month goes on.

Thanks. Bateman and Carty were two that I was eyeing. Bateman looked like a Louisville lean, but he's from Gadsden and doesn't seem to have much interest from Bama or Auburn, so maybe some opportunity there?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks. Bateman and Carty were two that I was eyeing. Bateman looked like a Louisville lean, but he's from Gadsden and doesn't seem to have much interest from Bama or Auburn, so maybe some opportunity there?

I don't know what the deal is with Bateman no one is pushing for him. Early on he really liked Michigan & Tennessee but they passed. Then it was Miami but they moved on as well. Now it looks like Louisville & MSU are his 2 best offers & neither are putting the press on him to commit. I'm not sure what's behind that.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2017, 11:43 AM

Excellent post!

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 11:44 AM

What? TBuck is his primary. I thought that was clear

Dawgface
If wish Mullen would fire Hev just to shut some of you the hell up!!! Jeez! Y'all b*tch and moan like women.

Meow......

Johnson85

^^^THIS^^^ I have no clue how bad this is. Maybe we have a better option all but locked up. But to act like it doesn't matter because he's a guard is idiotic. Twice we have had to play people out of position at OT because we literally didn't have another 17ing option. And thank goodness Siddoway panned out or it would have been more. We need an excess of guards so that when we have to playh somebody out of position, we can choose between DTs, TEs, and OGs for options.

Besides that, I call BS on being full at OG. When you recruit people that almost always require three years to play at a serviceable level, then you can always use more. Too many things can happen (injuries, grades, transfers, etc.) to leave you scrambling, and since it takes us three years to get a HS recruit ready and a year and a half to get a JUCO recruit ready, we simply can't afford to come up short on options. Much better to be processing players than to having to make do with a RS freshman or JUCO transfer that is not ready to play.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 12:01 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Reason2succeed again.

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 12:02 PM

i think maybe we don't really want this Guy. Could be we have found better prospects. Recruiting, is there anything that people know less about but freak out more. $hit we signed Dillon Day as an afterthought, Just like E Jenkins. Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.

Coach007
01-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I'll say this, as a former OL, I like Jordan Rhoades a heckuva lot better then Scott Lashley's film last year. No way Rhoades is a 3*.

And something I want to speak on. Everyone gets so upset about Lashley, "LT of the Future". If that's the case, why did the guy not play LT for West Point? He played RT. And had the worse pass protection footwork I've seen. And now he's playing guard at Bama. Also, I'm glad Bama paid up for him as it allowed us to go get Simmons.

Another prospect I will tell you is not a 4* prospect, and Todd is going to hate this, but it's Nick Hogan at NWR. I saw 4 games this year and I never saw the kid drive anyone off the ball. He stands straight up. It's bad. But you know what, people are going to gripe if we don't go get him because he's a 4* guy and from NWR even though he isn't a SEC player. Same thing I said about Damien Robinson, Jake Thomas, etc. He will be next year's Grant Harris. All the fans want him because he's a Dandy or high rated player; but isn't really a SEC player.

Go get Bateman, Rhoades, and Tucker. Those guys are studs.

There's a reason why the OL taken in the NFL (out of 15 taken, 9 were 3 stars and under) are generally not 5/4 star guys. I'm not sure who is evaluating them.

gtowndawg
01-05-2017, 12:10 PM
i think maybe we don't really want this Guy. Could be we have found better prospects. Recruiting, is there anything that people know less about but freak out more. $hit we signed Dillon Day as an afterthought, Just like E Jenkins. Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.

As with most things in life, there's two sides to every coin. While we've hit on some under the radar guys, we've also taken a chance on many that ended just taking a roster spot and not much more. I have no idea if we told this guy to look elsewhere but the track record is there at this point to raise an eyebrow at the very least.

Hevesy is a decent to good o-line coach that gets production from his players. That's the good news. But as a veteran Mississippi high school coach told me last summer at the beach he's the worst recruiter he's ever been around. Not worst Mississippi State recruiter, the worst recruiter period. As he told me, "the players don't like him, the parents don't like him and the coaches don't like him." Hard to recruit when you have that going for you.

gtowndawg
01-05-2017, 12:14 PM
There's a reason why the OL taken in the NFL (out of 15 taken, 9 were 3 stars and under) are generally not 5/4 star guys. I'm not sure who is evaluating them.

Not many 5 star o-lineman exist. Probably only 7 or 8 each year I would guess. So the numbers are skewed.

edited: great breakdown of 5 star recruits and their chances of getting to the NFL. Bottom line, you are better off with as many 5 stars as you can possibly get. Unfortunately, there's not many of them to go around:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320664/article/yearbyyear-look-at-fivestar-college-football-recruits

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:24 PM
As with most things in life, there's two sides to every coin. While we've hit on some under the radar guys, we've also taken a chance on many that ended just taking a roster spot and not much more. I have no idea if we told this guy to look elsewhere but the track record is there at this point to raise an eyebrow at the very least.

Hevesy is a decent to good o-line coach that gets production from his players. That's the good news. But as a veteran Mississippi high school coach told me last summer at the beach he's the worst recruiter he's ever been around. Not worst Mississippi State recruiter, the worst recruiter period. As he told me, "the players don't like him, the parents don't like him and the coaches don't like him." Hard to recruit when you have that going for you.

Actually until Rankin, I think the misses have been mostly the higher rated guys including the 4 stars. Which honestly OL is hit and miss but we have to sign several this year to make up for not signing enough prior

Really Clark?
01-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Not many 5 star o-lineman exist. Probably only 7 or 8 each year I would guess. So the numbers are skewed.

edited: great breakdown of 5 star recruits and their chances of getting to the NFL. Bottom line, you are better off with as many 5 stars as you can possibly get. Unfortunately, there's not many of them to go around:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320664/article/yearbyyear-look-at-fivestar-college-football-recruits

That's a good breakdown but that's for all positions. OL is a little different beast. Probably the biggest bust area or QB of all position groups but would need to study the numbers.

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 12:31 PM

I've been told the same thing by some of the best of the HS Coaches.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 12:40 PM
It's kinda amazing that in the state with the most fat people per capita we can't find any decent fat bodies for the OL. South Dakota State recruits better offensive lineman than us. Shit I just contributed to this dead horsey my bad

basedog
01-05-2017, 12:41 PM
This post is what RP coined a few weeks back:

"Lather, wash, rinse, repeat" or something similar.

Fire Mullen****

I wonder how we won so many games under Mullen, I mean he is a lazy recruiter, he meddlers too much, is ify calling plays, he is from the north and must be an asshole, doesn't want to be in Starkville, can't keep coaches and whatever else the agenda is about******

I know we haven't beat anyone****

AROB44
01-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Fire Mullen****

I wonder how we won so many games under Mullen, I mean he is a lazy recruiter, he meddlers too much, is ify calling plays, he is from the north and must be an asshole, doesn't want to be in Starkville, can't keep coaches and whatever else the agenda is about******

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 12:50 PM
What? TBuck is his primary. I thought that was clear

It was clear for Gainer. My point was that I thought we had relieved Hev of any duties as a primary recruiter so I hope its clear for all our recruits that Hev is not their primary.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Fire Mullen****

Yep

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 01:50 PM

This is pretty much the consensus. Its actually fortunate for us that OL is the toughest to evaluate or our OL situation would be worse than it is. We stumble onto some good OL just because they develop better than most would have thought and some of the OL we lose out on that are higher rated do bust. If OL were more easily assessed we would be worse off because we consistently sign the lowest rated OL in the SEC thanks to our buddy Hev. The guy is a better than average coach but you can only do so much with what we are able to sign that are willing to play for him. If there has ever been a subject to b*tch and moan about like women its this one. Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea of him representing my university when he recruits given how he presents himself.

fader2103
01-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.

Beckwith was a Walk on, I can't remember if it was a preferred walk on or not.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 02:25 PM
This is pretty much the consensus. Its actually fortunate for us that OL is the toughest to evaluate or our OL situation would be worse than it is. We stumble onto some good OL just because they develop better than most would have thought and some of the OL we lose out on that are higher rated do bust. If OL were more easily assessed we would be worse off because we consistently sign the lowest rated OL in the SEC thanks to our buddy Hev. The guy is a better than average coach but you can only do so much with what we are able to sign that are willing to play for him. If there has ever been a subject to b*tch and moan about like women its this one. Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea of him representing my university when he recruits given how he presents himself.

I'm done bashing Hev. It's 100% on Mullen now. If he has no issues with our O-line or O-line recruiting then it's on him. It's pointless to blame Hev b/c he's not going to leave on his own. There's probably a reason why no one has tried to hire him away like happened with several of our d-coordinators, Tony Hughes, and recently Brian Johnson.

sandwolf
01-05-2017, 03:28 PM
There's a reason why the OL taken in the NFL (out of 15 taken, 9 were 3 stars and under) are generally not 5/4 star guys.

Yea, the reason is that there are about 10 times as many OL ranked 3* or under.

gtowndawg
01-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Well said.

DeputyDawg94
01-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Patrick Magee has a story on sunherald.com with quotes from PG. Basicaly said he hears from Thick every week but rarely hears from OL coaches. Sorry, I don't know how to post articles to the board. As has been mentioned in this thread I have also heard from a SHS athletic department employee that the kids can't stand Hev. I was told once that Hev doesn't recruit SHS. This may be true but they see him in other places. Starkvill ain't that big. I agree that Hev gets a lot out of the OL, but how much could he get out of a group with more talent is the question.

DeputyDawg94
01-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Posting from my phone sux. Should say Tbcuk in my previous post not Thick.

GTHOM
01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
So we just had a former hard commit call out our OL coach in a newspaper. Hevesy GTFO

msstate7
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
So we just had a former hard commit call out our OL coach in a newspaper. Hevesy GTFO

Didn't we have chason Virgil call out Mullen for dropping him? Should we fire Mullen too?

HoopsDawg
01-05-2017, 04:17 PM

"I decommitted because of the lack of communication from the offensive line coaches,? Gainer said. ?I talk to (cornerbacks coach Terrell Buckley) almost every week. I just don't feel comfortable with my position coach because I want to talk to him. I've got to get an understanding. I wasn't feeling the love from it."

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article124747319.html#storylink=cpy

GTHOM
01-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Didn't we have chason Virgil call out Mullen for dropping him? Should we fire Mullen too?

That was a totally different situation. Mullen knew what we had at QB. We let Virgil go in plenty of time to find other options. Ganier left because his OL coach is a lazy asshole when it comes to recruiting

msstate7
01-05-2017, 04:28 PM
That was a totally different situation. Mullen knew what we had at QB. We let Virgil go in plenty of time to find other options. Ganier left because his OL coach is a lazy asshole when it comes to recruiting

We dropped Virgil 1 week before he was to enroll. He was an EE

GTHOM
01-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Thats still plenty of time before signing day. IM NOT SAYING FIRE MULLEN

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2017, 04:33 PM

It was Virgil's coach who called out Mullen, not Virgil himself. Two similar outcomes with different causes.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm done bashing Hev. It's 100% on Mullen now. If he has no issues with our O-line or O-line recruiting then it's on him. It's pointless to blame Hev b/c he's not going to leave on his own. There's probably a reason why no one has tried to hire him away like happened with several of our d-coordinators, Tony Hughes, and recently Brian Johnson.

Pretty much the same situation we had with Croom and McCorvey. Our offense was horrendous every year but the only way you were going to get rid of McCorvey was if you got rid of Croom. Of course, in that case, we eventually got rid of Croom.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 04:53 PM
rarely hears from OL coaches.

A. We only have one OL coach
B. This is probably by design even though Gainer apparently wanted to talk to him

ETDawg
01-05-2017, 05:32 PM
B. This is probably by design even though Gainer apparently wanted to talk to him[/QUOTE]

I've heard that if a baseball coach/recruiter is interested in you, there is no doubt. You can definitely tell. From what I was told, they will contact you. They will return phone calls, etc when permissible. If they cannot contact you directly, they will figure out a legal way to get in touch with you. Not sure how it is in football.

Goldendawg
01-05-2017, 05:43 PM
According to 24/7, John Hevesy is Willie Gay's recruiter. Just now checked. Maybe they are wrong.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 05:46 PM
According to 24/7, John Hevesy is Willie Gay's recruiter. Just now checked. Maybe they are wrong.

I thought Peter Sirmon was supposed to be some hot shot recruiter LB coach when we hired him? Seems like he should be the one working on Gay 24/7. Gay is about the only big LB target I know of that we are on right now.

RougeDawg
01-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Hev gonna Hev.

This. And would anyone have imagined that he recommitted because there was basically zero communication from
Hev? This is from a coach on the coast and the reason he decomposed. Backsally said Hev wasn't even talking to him. Seems to be a recurring theme with Hev either not showing any love or turning one off by being a dick.

gtowndawg
01-05-2017, 06:28 PM
"I decommitted because of the lack of communication from the offensive line coaches,? Gainer said. ?I talk to (cornerbacks coach Terrell Buckley) almost every week. I just don't feel comfortable with my position coach because I want to talk to him. I've got to get an understanding. I wasn't feeling the love from it."

Holy crap Hev. What do you do all day exactly? Your obviously not reading this:

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442726934l/4865.jpg

gtowndawg
01-05-2017, 06:29 PM
And why does Mullen put up with this? Dead horse I know, but dang son.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 06:41 PM
So he's apparently headed to usm according to crystal balls

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 07:25 PM

Yeah and that was on Brian Johnson. Who I'm sure was reprimanded and learned a lesson from it. Why is Hevesy allowed to continue to do it?

msstate7
01-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Yeah and that was on Brian Johnson. Who I'm sure was reprimanded and learned a lesson from it. Why is Hevesy allowed to continue to do it?

Who else has Hev dropped?

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 07:28 PM

And how many of them were coached by Hevesy?

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Who else has Hev dropped?

It's kind of hard to drop commits when he doesn't land them a lot in the first place. Deon Mix was completely botched. Norman Price is on the 49ers practice roster and our coaches were surprised when he flipped to USM because of his girlfriend. Does better contact with him help land him? Don't know but it probably wouldn't hurt. You had Sahdiiq Charles this year say "LSU just seemed to want me more". You read between the lines there. Now Gainer who has pretty much said that Hevesy has had minimal contact around him- and yet your head is still in the sand.

The guy couldn't even land a guy from West Point that was close to Johnie Cooks. I could make a better o- line out of his misses than he could out of the guys he actually landed. Thank God Calhoun got hurt so he could put Jenkins at left guard and accidentally find our best o-line combination.

Why dodge my question?

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article124747319.html#storylink=cpy

^That^ dead horse still not worth beating, 61? Liverpool? Ha, maybe the dead horse is being beaten bc shit like ^THAT^ is being allowed in our program. That worthless piece of shit should be sent packing tomorrow. At least get his ass off the recruiting trail for Goodness Sake. GTFO Hev

msstate7
01-05-2017, 08:07 PM
^That^ dead horse still not worth beating, 61? Liverpool? Ha, maybe the dead horse is being beaten bc shit like ^THAT^ is being allowed in our program. That worthless piece of shit should be sent packing tomorrow. At least get his ass off the recruiting trail for Goodness Sake. GTFO Hev

So did gainer break up with us or did we break up with him?

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 08:12 PM

It doesn't matter. Grow some damn balls and tell the kid if you don't want him anymore, don't just quit talking to him and hope he takes a hint. But I don't think that's what happened...I think Hev thought he didn't have to waste any nap time on Gainer bc he had no other SEC offers...so now we're losing him to a damn CUSA school when We have a worse OL than they do! No matter how you slice it, that is an awful look for Hevesy in that Gainer interview, and he should be held accountable. I cannot believe our fans aren't more pissed after reading that. What an embarrassment that bastard is to our program

msstate7
01-05-2017, 08:21 PM
It doesn't matter. Grow some damn balls and tell the kid if you don't want him anymore, don't just quit talking to him and hope he takes a hint. But I don't think that's what happened...I think Hev thought he didn't have to waste any nap time on Gainer bc he had no other SEC offers...so now we're losing him to a damn CUSA school when We have a worse OL than they do! No matter how you slice it, that is an awful look for Hevesy in that Gainer interview, and he should be held accountable. I cannot believe our fans aren't more pissed after reading that. What an embarrassment that bastard is to our program

I agree we should've told em we were moving on.

As for the usm has a better oline... come on mane.

Usm rankings in CUSA (13 teams)...
Rushing offense -- 7th
Avg yard per rush -- 10th
Sacks allowed -- 9th
TFL allowed -- 11th

State in sec...
Rushing offense -- 5th
Avg yard per rush -- 4th
Sacks allowed -- 2nd
TFL allowed -- 3rd

Todd4State
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM

It's pretty shocking to me that our fans are defending him too. It's not like we can't do better. It's shocking that Dan allows it to go on too.

I'm in 100% agreement with you. Hevesy needs to go to the office or go home.

DeputyDawg94
01-06-2017, 01:48 AM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;682169]It's pretty shocking to me that our fans are defending him too. It's not like we can't do better. It's shocking that Dan allows it to go on too.

Almost like he has family on the board.

Todd4State
01-06-2017, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;682169]It's pretty shocking to me that our fans are defending him too. It's not like we can't do better. It's shocking that Dan allows it to go on too.

Almost like he has family on the board.

I actually wonder sometimes.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:30 AM

Yup that dead horse isn't worth beating on January 6th. If an upgrade doesn't happen NSD because of this open slot then by all means shit all over Hevesy but the stats msstate7 put up on our line suggest strongly Hevesy can coach up players pretty dang decently. I give zero shits about some no name USM player crapping on Hev cause he didn't tickle his balls enough. Sounds like a guy that Hev didn't really want and by looking at his P5 offer sheet nobody did either so now it's on Hev to get a better replacement. He has a month to do that. Lets see if he can.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2017, 07:20 AM
What has Hevesy shown on the recruiting trail to prove that he will find a better replacement? Are we just hoping in the next month he's going to magically convert into a guy that can relate to players and families? Lol

somebodyshotmypaw
01-06-2017, 07:37 AM

We dropped Gainer. I promise you that is what happened. Anybody in this thread that says differently is flat wrong. We dropped Gainer. I wish him well. Time will tell if we made a mistake.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Wrong. Absolutely wrong. We dropped him. Time will tell if it was a mistake, and we can certainly debate that. But let me be clear that we dropped him.

BankerDog
01-06-2017, 07:43 AM
It's kind of hard to drop commits when he doesn't land them a lot in the first place. Deon Mix was completely botched. Norman Price is on the 49ers practice roster and our coaches were surprised when he flipped to USM because of his girlfriend. Does better contact with him help land him? Don't know but it probably wouldn't hurt. You had Sahdiiq Charles this year say "LSU just seemed to want me more". You read between the lines there. Now Gainer who has pretty much said that Hevesy has had minimal contact around him- and yet your head is still in the sand.

The guy couldn't even land a guy from West Point that was close to Johnie Cooks. I could make a better o- line out of his misses than he could out of the guys he actually landed. Thank God Calhoun got hurt so he could put Jenkins at left guard and accidentally find our best o-line combination.

Why dodge my question?

Ah Deon Mix. The most overrated OL to come out of MS since Damien Robinson. The same OL that, as a SR., got blown up by a sophomore Fletcher Adams in the state championship. The same Deon Mix who didn't even crack the two deep at Auburn! Yeah I'm kinda glad Hev went off on him for taking other visits beucase the kid just wasn't that good; but you wouldn't know any better because all you look at is the stars besides the guy's name.

Norman Price? So you're gonna count him in the NFL? That means we need to include: Day, Clausell, Beckwith, and Jackson? That's a pretty good track record of guy's in the NFL over a three year period. Oh, I forgot to mention Norman Price had to be moved to guard and actually was just a part time starter. He was so bad at LT; USM had to convert their 6'9 DL, Wil Freeman, to play LT. And he had never played OL in his life. I wouldn't expect you to know that.

I also don't expect you to know that "All Great" Lashley (who you dubbed as our next LT) wasn't even good enough to play LT at Wedt Point. Probably don't know his footwork is horrendous and he is a career guard. And the Johnnie Cooks thing; they weren't really that close as everyone made them out to be.

As I said earlier, you'll be so happy when we take Nic Hogan because he's a good size kid with 4*. But the reality of the situation is, the kid isn't a SEC football player and has worse footwork then Lashley.

You should probably stick to band analysis, as that's what's you know better.

basedog
01-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Ah Deon Mix. The most overrated OL to come out of MS since Damien Robinson. The same OL that, as a SR., got blown up by a sophomore Fletcher Adams in the state championship. The same Deon Mix who didn't even crack the two deep at Auburn! Yeah I'm kinda glad Hev went off on him for taking other visits beucase the kid just wasn't that good; but you wouldn't know any better because all you look at is the stars besides the guy's name.

Norman Price? So you're gonna count him in the NFL? That means we need to include: Day, Clausell, Beckwith, and Jackson? That's a pretty good track record of guy's in the NFL over a three year period. Oh, I forgot to mention Norman Price had to be moved to guard and actually was just a part time starter. He was so bad at LT; USM had to convert their 6'9 DL, Wil Freeman, to play LT. And he had never played OL in his life. I wouldn't expect you to know that.

I also don't expect you to know that "All Great" Lashley (who you dubbed as our next LT) wasn't even good enough to play LT at Wedt Point. Probably don't know his footwork is horrendous and he is a career guard. And the Johnnie Cooks thing; they weren't really that close as everyone made them out to be.

As I said earlier, you'll be so happy when we take Nic Hogan because he's a good size kid with 4*. But the reality of the situation is, the kid isn't a SEC football player and has worse footwork then Lashley.

+1

Todd and his Play Station theory, I wonder if he plays the drums while he is coaching his Play Station?

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 10:07 AM
So here is what I am picking up from this thread. Hevy is not a recruiter but he seems to be able to coach up the players to the point where we have put a few in the NFL that nobody was predicting to go. The recruiting failure or lack there of is enough cause to get him fired other places and we should not settle for that bs or we will not change and will never have a chance to win the west under this admin, is how others feel.

Now here is the real question for those who want to keep him or defend his actions.

If he is able to coach up players who are considered "undesirable" or "overlooked" by other P5 programs, or have very few offers from other P5's, what could he accomplish if he could recruit a few high end 3*, one or two 4* and 5* every other year?
He cant because he doesn't want to and doesn't have the drive to get out and tell the kids and parents what they want to hear.
If he is a good coach let the man coach and if he is a shite recruiter don't send him out there when you know he is going to do a shite job.
I say if part of his job is to be a recruiter, I believe that is part of the job description, and he cant complete the job at a high level, he should take a pay cut and another assistant should be hired who is able to completely focus on the task of recruiting.

Its like I heard this morning on the radio, between UA and Clemson 35 of the 44 starting players were 4* or higher. If you say that stars don't matter or recruiting rankings don't matter there is a window to that which is accurate but its in the mid to low 3* range of players where they are not that much better or worse and there is a larger pool of kids.

I in no way expect us to recruit like UA or Clemson but there is no excuse for offering a guy with no P5 offers and then taking it away because you realized you screwed up your evaluation. The fact that we had to cut a offer to a guy with no other P5 offers is embarrassing to me as a MSU alum. I mean what kind of mickey mouse bs is that?

In life if your going to change yourself you have to commit to it and constantly remind yourself of the old problems you were having in order to remain vigilant about how you live day to day. If we are not constantly reminding Hev that he is sucking some big 8***> on the cruitin trail he will constantly perform at the same level. I doubt that he will ever read any of this but maybe if we BEAT THE HORSE INTO THE DIRT UNTIL IT IS NOTHING BUT MUD AND BLOOD, somebody who has a little clout may put a birdy in somebody's ear and we will see change. That may also never happen but it makes a few people feel better about blowing off some stress.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: that post from hoops that cadaverdawg quoted is damning to Hev and should piss a lot of the current admin off. COHEN WE ARE LOOKIN AT YOU BUDDY! Swing them things sir and end our frustration.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 10:28 AM
So here is what I am picking up from this thread. Hevy is not a recruiter but he seems to be able to coach up the players to the point where we have put a few in the NFL that nobody was predicting to go. The recruiting failure or lack there of is enough cause to get him fired other places and we should not settle for that bs or we will not change and will never have a chance to win the west under this admin, is how others feel.

Now here is the real question for those who want to keep him or defend his actions.

If he is able to coach up players who are considered "undesirable" or "overlooked" by other P5 programs, or have very few offers from other P5's, what could he accomplish if he could recruit a few high end 3*, one or two 4* and 5* every other year?
He cant because he doesn't want to and doesn't have the drive to get out and tell the kids and parents what they want to hear.
If he is a good coach let the man coach and if he is a shite recruiter don't send him out there when you know he is going to do a shite job.
I say if part of his job is to be a recruiter, I believe that is part of the job description, and he cant complete the job at a high level, he should take a pay cut and another assistant should be hired who is able to completely focus on the task of recruiting.

Its like I heard this morning on the radio, between UA and Clemson 35 of the 44 starting players were 4* or higher. If you say that stars don't matter or recruiting rankings don't matter there is a window to that which is accurate but its in the mid to low 3* range of players where they are not that much better or worse and there is a larger pool of kids.

I in no way expect us to recruit like UA or Clemson but there is no excuse for offering a guy with no P5 offers and then taking it away because you realized you screwed up your evaluation. The fact that we had to cut a offer to a guy with no other P5 offers is embarrassing to me as a MSU alum. I mean what kind of mickey mouse bs is that?

In life if your going to change yourself you have to commit to it and constantly remind yourself of the old problems you were having in order to remain vigilant about how you live day to day. If we are not constantly reminding Hev that he is sucking some big 8***> on the cruitin trail he will constantly perform at the same level. I doubt that he will ever read any of this but maybe if we BEAT THE HORSE INTO THE DIRT UNTIL IT IS NOTHING BUT MUD AND BLOOD, somebody who has a little clout may put a birdy in somebody's ear and we will see change. That may also never happen but it makes a few people feel better about blowing off some stress.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: that post from hoops that cadaverdawg quoted is damning to Hev and should piss a lot of the current admin off. COHEN WE ARE LOOKIN AT YOU BUDDY! Swing them things sir and end our frustration.

Good post. Except the encouraging of beating this dead horsey even more till its mud and blood cause that occurred six months ago. Right now the ground is being beaten to a point there's a sixty foot hole. You have 11 posts so I am guessing you have missed the last 3 years of non-stop bitching from the 5 Fire Hev crew. Consider yourself lucky.

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Good post. Except the encouraging of beating this dead horsey even more till its mud and blood cause that occurred six months ago. Right now the ground is being beaten to a point there's a sixty foot hole. You have 11 posts so I am guessing you have missed the last 3 years of non-stop bitching from the 5 Fire Hev crew. Consider yourself lucky.

BEAT IT! BEAT IT! NO ONE WANTS TO BE DEFEATED!

Thanks,

yeah I have been around for only a few months and finally decided to make a profile and contribute to whatever it is that we are doing here.

Ari Gold
01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Few facts on the Hev debate.

1. He can't recruit.
2. He losses more top end OL then than he closes. I know this for a fact. For whatever reason , Asshole, lack of effort, Ect...
3. He has had 0 OL drafted that he was responsible for or helped get here (Gabe doesn't count)
4. For those that say " But he is a great coach with what he has".. 1 OL drafted. (See above) In the time he has been here there have been around 300 OL taken in the draft. Teams like Cornell, Furman, Tenn State (3) , USM, Delaware, and many others have gotten at least one if not multiple OL drafted. And **** the undrafted free agents list don't want to hear about that. So the point of this is maybe he can't coach that well .
5. Is he good at evaluating talent.?? I think I read on here by a few guys that he was questioning the size of a 4* kids hands??? The same kid that played as a Frosh for Clemson. Maybe this kid should Text Coach Hev his ****ing ring size since he is on the verge of a NC.. So this tells me he can't evaluate talent very well.
6. He is vastly over paid for the total body of work he does. There is more to college coaching than just coaching if that's all he wants to do take your talents to the NFL if ur such a OL guru.
And 7. Outside of Dan , who actually likes the guy? What ex players have come to this guys defense and bragged on him? That list is short at best.

Bottom line is tho , he isn't going anywhere. That's on the HC. Most big time programs and HC make moves to improve weak links . This is clearly a weak link. And he hasn't been Addressed.

If what Gainer said was true or false about Hev, CDM should have lit his ass up . Maybe he did , very doubtful tho.

Solution since he won't fire his BFF, make him swallow his ego give him a pay cut and move him to OT and T where he has coached before at UF and bring in a OL coach that can help with all these other glaring issues.. esp recruiting.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Few facts on the Hev debate.

1. He can't recruit. sometimes he can Percy Harvin, Chris Jones, Dak Prescott
2. He losses more top end OL then than he closes. I know this for a fact. For whatever reason , Asshole, lack of effort, Ect... how many 5* OL have we signed in our history as a program at MSU?
3. He has had 0 OL drafted that he was responsible for or helped get here (Gabe doesn't count) I can only think of Sherrod and Jackson get drafted from MSU in the last 15 years
4. For those that say " But he is a great coach with what he has".. 1 OL drafted. (See above) In the time he has been here there have been around 300 OL taken in the draft. Teams like Cornell, Furman, Tenn State (3) , USM, Delaware, and many others have gotten at least one if not multiple OL drafted. And **** the undrafted free agents list don't want to hear about that. So the point of this is maybe he can't coach that well . but he has had several play in the NFL suggesting he does coach them up
5. Is he good at evaluating talent.?? I think I read on here by a few guys that he was questioning the size of a 4* kids hands??? The same kid that played as a Frosh for Clemson... so that tells me that he is lazy there as well. our HC has a different recruiting strategy and doesn't recruit stars so Hev just doing what the Boss wants
6. He is vastly over paid for the total body of work he does. There is more to college coaching than just coaching if that's all he wants to do take your talents to the NFL if ur such a OL guru. all of our assistants are underpaid compared to the rest of the SEC West
And 7. Outside of Dan , who actually likes the guy? What ex players have come to this guys defense and bragged on him? That list is short at best. nobody likes the spotter in the weight room either but he makes them achieve their best

Bottom line is tho , he isn't going anywhere. That's on the HC. Most big time programs and HC make moves to improve weak links .. this is clearly a weak link. And he hasn't been Addressed. our OL/offensive stats are better than almost every team in the SEC

If what Gainer said was true or false about Hev, CDM should have lit his ass up . Maybe he did , very doubtful tho. who gives a shit about a 2* with zero P5 offers that wants his balls tickled more

Solution since he won't fire his BFF, make him swallow his ego give him a pay cut and move him to OT and T where he has coached before at UF and bring in a OL coach that can help with all these other glaring issues.. esp recruiting. not opposed to bringing in someone to help Hev recruit better guys but giving him a paycut when our offense and OL aren't our weak links is just disrespectful

More you guys beat that dead horse the more Mullen and Hev gonna dig in deeper on you.

Ari Gold
01-06-2017, 12:46 PM
More you guys beat that dead horse the more Mullen and Hev gonna dig in deeper on you.

Remember when I said copy and paste that ONE good post you had? You should have done that here.. it would have been the perfect time to do it..

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Remember when I said copy and paste that ONE good post you had? You should have done that here.. it would have been the perfect time to do it..

Rushing offense -- 5th in sec
Sacks allowed -- 2nd in sec
TFL allowed -- 3rd in sec

DeputyDawg94
01-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Yep. It's really very simple. If you can't get good players you can't win. Mind blowing that people can't see that. Nowhere in any business is mediocrity accepted. If you can't contribute in the real world you get "processed". Or should get processed.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Yep. It's really very simple. If you can't get good players you can't win. Mind blowing that people can't see that. Nowhere in any business is mediocrity accepted. If you can't contribute in the real world you get "processed". Or should get processed.

Yet people here are upset because we processed a recruit. Funny how the processing of a lesser recruit has set of this fire storm all of a sudden.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Anybody trying to prove that Hevesy is doing a good job, should have their head examined. If you ever want us to actually compete for the West, our OL must get better. If you're fine competing with a few SEC teams while getting owned and not being able to run the ball at all against any decent defense much less a Bama or LSU...then by all means defend a guy that recruits zero talent and can SOMETIMES turn it in to ALMOST a capable OL. Pathetic if that's what you call "successful".

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Yet people here are upset because we processed a recruit. Funny how the processing of a lesser recruit has set of this fire storm all of a sudden.

Maybe if said recruit hadn't run our already shitty OL coach into the ground and if said "processed recruit" wasn't one of our only OL recruits, people wouldn't be upset.

If your sales region has the potential to set a company record in sales, but bc you have 1 rep that cant meet his low territory sales quota, your region just meets quota but fails to set the record or get you in company bonus range...do you all just cheer bc quota was met, or do you want a change made with the guy that cost you a $10,000 bonus bc he couldn't even pull his own weight? I'm guessing you'd be that guy.

Some people think a 12 game competent OL could be the difference in a few wins each year & maybe an upset of Bama or another SEC power occasionally....nobody says we need to be great every year, but every position has shown influxes in talent during Mullen's tenure except 1.....you guessed it, OL. Only one constant with our OL...you guessed it, Hev.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Anybody trying to prove that Hevesy is doing a good job, should have their head examined. If you ever want us to actually compete for the West, our OL must get better. If you're fine competing with a few SEC teams while getting owned and not being able to run the ball at all against any decent defense much less a Bama or LSU...then by all means defend a guy that recruits zero talent and can SOMETIMES turn it in to ALMOST a capable OL. Pathetic if that's what you call "successful".

Who is the oline coach that will get us better oline prospects than auburn, lsu, aTm, Arkansas, and OM bc they all get better oline recruits, but can't win the west?

the59dawg
01-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Hmmmm. I like this reality check.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Who doesn't need to run the ball better vs Bama and LSU? Imagine what our offensive stats would look like if we were in the East and didn't face Bama, LSU and Auburn defenses every year and look at what they are currently which is pretty damn good. Shit Bama gave up 92 total yards vs LSU in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game in 2011. I don't have an answer to solve our problems vs Bama other than Saban has to leave. It's frustrating man I am right there with you as is everyone else in college football that has to play vs them. How many coaches has Saban gotten fired? We aren't ever going to consistently sign 5* offensive lineman no matter how many different OL coaches we fire.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Who is the oline coach that will get us better oline prospects than auburn, lsu, aTm, Arkansas, and OM bc they all get better oline recruits, but can't win the west?

One step at a time chief.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Surely you know this is a bigger problem than just one recruit. Paul Gainer is just another part of an 8 year story.

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 01:40 PM

If the Sun Herald was correct....(I have no idea the history of their accurateness or credibility) the kid said HE was DE-committing because he couldn't get time with his position coach. Sounds plausible to me. Hoops and Cadaver have pasted that on here in some form twice. Unless the kid is lying(fake news?), which is possible. But even more plausible is that it was a combination of both. Hev quit talkin to him and he was wrongly evaluated. Both are a problem. Either way it stinks like rotten crawfish in a bucket in the sun.

Also, I bet Paul would be flattered if he knew how much we were talking about him.

HAILSTATE!

13 post baby! Movin on up!

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 01:42 PM
We aren't ever going to consistently sign 5* offensive lineman no matter how many different OL coaches we fire.

How many 5* OL have we signed since Dan and Hev got here? Honest question.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Maybe if said recruit hadn't run our already shitty OL coach into the ground and if said "processed recruit" wasn't one of our only OL recruits, people wouldn't be upset.

If your sales region has the potential to set a company record in sales, but bc you have 1 rep that cant meet his low territory sales quota, your region just meets quota but fails to set the record or get you in company bonus range...do you all just cheer bc quota was met, or do you want a change made with the guy that cost you a $10,000 bonus bc he couldn't even pull his own weight? I'm guessing you'd be that guy.

Some people think a 12 game competent OL could be the difference in a few wins each year & maybe an upset of Bama or another SEC power occasionally....nobody says we need to be great every year, but every position has shown influxes in talent during Mullen's tenure except 1.....you guessed it, OL. Only one constant with our OL...you guessed it, Hev.

Every position has shown influx of talent yet it's our offense that keeps breaking school records not our defense. Our secondary play has been atrocious the last 5 years. Why are you guys not railing on that side of the ball? We'd probably beat Bama every once in awhile if we had defenses ranked anywhere close to them. Again Hevesy and Mullen have a month to find a better player than a 2* with no P5 offers. Pretty sure you're going to find a better player that we sign that you didn't know we were getting right this second than a 2* OL that wants his balls tickled more. Do you really want an OL that has no offers from anyone AND is crying to the newspaper for more attention. No thank you. I am glad Hevesy passed on him.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:48 PM

I couldn't name one we've signed since the existence of college football at MSU. Yet Dan & Hev have the best 8 offenses in school history in the 8 seasons they've been here.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 01:49 PM
One step at a time chief.

Maybe upgrading TE coach with a good recruiter could help get better oline players.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 01:51 PM

How many 5* qb, wr, te, lb, cb, rb, and safeties have we signed in same time?

HoopsDawg
01-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Every position has shown influx of talent yet it's our offense that keeps breaking school records not our defense. Our secondary play has been atrocious the last 5 years. Why are you guys not railing on that side of the ball? We'd probably beat Bama every once in awhile if we had defenses ranked anywhere close to them. Again Hevesy and Mullen have a month to find a better player than a 2* with no P5 offers. Pretty sure you're going to find a better player that we sign that you didn't know we were getting right this second than a 2* OL that wants his balls tickled more. Do you really want an OL that has no offers from anyone AND is crying to the newspaper for more attention. No thank you. I am glad Hevesy passed on him.

Let's put the beat Bama talk on hold until we beat South Alabama and Byu. The secondary hasn't had the same coaches for 8 years and we just signed 2 very good safeties. Hev personally recruited Hayes. How'd that work out?

HoopsDawg
01-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Maybe upgrading TE coach with a good recruiter could help get better oline players.

No argument here. We have to stop hiring recruiters from Walla Walla and New Hampshire.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Let's put the beat Bama talk on hold

We can't put it on hold cause it's the sole reason for why we have the 5 Fire Hev crew. LSU & Bama beating us every year is driving our fanbase insane. We are one step away from just saying "**** it" and going Old Misses style and paying shit tons of money for 5* OL. Saban is driving everyone insane it isn't just us guys. He is Geno Auriemma.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 02:00 PM
How many 5* qb, wr, te, lb, cb, rb, and safeties have we signed in same time?

Way more than the zero 5* OL we've signed which I am guessing is your point

msstate7
01-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Way more than the zero 5* OL we've signed which I am guessing is your point

We've signed zero of them also...

basedog
01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Better yet how many so call 4 and 5 stars do you think Mississippi has produced over the last say 10 years? To think it's easy recruiting kids from out of state to Mississippi ain't as easy as you agenda boys think, I travel all over the country and mostly when you say Mississippi it's a negative word. Thanks Ole Miss***

Yes we can do better but the fact Mullen has taken us to 7 straight bowl games is a good start plus it's amazing although we haven't beaten anyone***.

If it's so easy then why hasn't Cheaters U won the Sec west or done better? They cheat and still can't win the West much less the Sec.

dawgday166
01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
There ain't but a handful of 5* Olinemen each year. Bama, LSU, OSU, Mich, USC, Texas or TAM, OM (pre NCAA nuclear bomb) and maybe a few others will get those. But we should be signing at least 1 4* each class IMO. And not the low-hanging occasional MS Olinemen that we get and don't pan out.

I do remember watching a video of 1 of Lashley's games in HS. I thought he was quick and good. Didn't have to pass block a lot in it that I remember. I thought he could move similar to Rankin in Juco. We'll see what he does at Bama.

Matt Womack is listed in Bama's 2 deep at LT.

basedog
01-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Not sure there is even a So call 4 star OLman every year in Mississippi. Coaching, weight and conditioning, rural areas with small schools in a low populated state is tough especially having another Sec school in State.

Say what you want but Mullen has done better than in Coach in our modern history, but yet some can't except that fact.

dawgday166
01-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Not sure there is even a So call 4 star OLman every year in Mississippi. Coaching, weight and conditioning, rural areas with small schools in a low populated state is tough especially having another Sec school in State.

Say what you want but Mullen has done better than in Coach in our modern history, but yet some can't except that fact.

That's one of my complaints about our Oline recruiting. Get off your butt, go across state lines, and go find some good ones.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 02:25 PM
We've signed zero of them also...

Not true. Dontae Walker was a Parade All-American and the #1 RB in the country. Derek Pegues was a 5*, the safety that got shot and killed Darren Williams (R.I.P.) was a 5*. We have signed elite recruits in football before just never on the OL.

RougeDawg
01-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Just about any warm body with a little luck could do better than our history. This isn't a thread contemplating whether or not Mullen has elevated our program. This is about pur program not achieving the maximum level, because We have a glaring problem with one of our assistant coaches.

Let me provide a similar situation. Let's take your 401k. You keep investing various percentages of your contribution into the various offerings (bonds, conservative, moderate, aggressive, foreign equity, US equity, etc). Let's label our coaches under one of these offerings. Over time you do not change your contribution to any of these offerings but notice a much better return on some than others so you adjust your allocations and future contributions to adjust for the trends. You also have an underperforming allocation that always lags the others, currently foreign equities. Any person with a third grade education can see that you are not maximizing your investments if you continue foreign equity. So you greatly reduce or completely eliminate this position and future contributions, because you can achieve greater financial success with the other proven offerings. Hevesy is the continual "foreign equity" recruiter, so something has to be done, to minimize loss and maximize potential.

If he cannot contribute the complete package it takes to be a successful collegiate coach, he has to go. It's apparent these kids want to have relationships and communication with their position coach, even if he isn't their primary recruiter. We have at least one story a year where Hev's communication or lack of is the reason a kid went elsewhere. This isn't changing, and our Ol recruiting won't change until he's gone. Simple really.

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 02:38 PM
For some it's useless

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 02:44 PM
MS is a damn wasteland for quality OL. There are none in MS. We have to take chances on projects because of it. Now, that doesn't prevent us from recruiting good ones out of state but it damn sure limits us to who we can get.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Good job Hev! Parents say they hate you, recruits say you're lazy, you haven't beaten anyone for an OL recruit in your life, but you are clearly smart enough to make the clowns in this thread think you're someone we can't lose...which has to be your most shocking stat. Keep molding shit into slightly less smelly shit, and by God we'll keep fattening that worthless wallet of yours! HailState!

basedog
01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
For some it's useless

Damn sure is!

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
For some it's useless

Yup

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 02:55 PM
For some it's useless

Good job Hev! Parents say they hate you, recruits say you're lazy, you haven't beaten anyone for an OL recruit in your life, but you are clearly smart enough to make the clowns in this thread think you're someone we can't lose...which has to be your most shocking stat. Keep molding shit into slightly less smelly shit, and by God we'll keep fattening that worthless wallet of yours! HailState!

Yup

If Hevesy is so terrible than how come we have the eight best offensive seasons ever for our program in the eight seasons Mullen & Hev have been coaching our offense at the same exact time that Alabama and especially their defense has been the best its ever been? We are setting records at the same exact time we are having to face that juggernaut of a defense every year and Alabama isn't the only SEC team to win a NC that've we've faced in the same timeframe. It's pretty damn obvious Hevesy is very important to Mullen.

GTHOM
01-06-2017, 03:03 PM

The we cant do no better po ol MSU crowd is to blame

msstate7
01-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Not true. Dontae Walker was a Parade All-American and the #1 RB in the country. Derek Pegues was a 5*, the safety that got shot and killed Darren Williams (R.I.P.) was a 5*. We have signed elite recruits in football before just never on the OL.

The question was while Mullen was here

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:14 PM
The we cant do no better po ol MSU crowd is to blame

Hilarious you are lumping me into that category. Would you want the pitching coach fired if the pitching staff had set the best 8 pitching seasons in a row in the history of MSU baseball? I can't explain why Mullen loves Hevesy so much and why he is so important to him but it's obvious that he is and Mullen keeps setting school records for us on offense so I ain't trying to **** that up. Oh man we can't run the ball vs Alabama so lets fire the guy Mullen wants around the most. Good strategy guys I am sure we will be able to move up and down the field vs Bama like a hot knife through butter with any other OL coach we can convince Mullen to hire after he fires his buddy Hevesy.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 03:17 PM

You realize your problem is with Mullen, not us, right? Let's say I agree with fire hevesy now, you think that's what finally convinces Mullen to do it? I've never said he's "someone we can't lose"; but during the height of recruiting season, I see no benefit to our football program by ripping one of our coaches unmercifully when our oline performed well this year

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:17 PM
The question was while Mullen was here

No I said we haven't signed a 5* OL in the history of our program to point out that its not just a Mullen & Hevesy problem. You then asked how many have we signed at those other positions. You morphed it into "while Mullen was here" question just now I didn't.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 03:18 PM
No I said we haven't signed a 5* OL in the history of our program to point out that its not just a Mullen & Hevesy problem. You then asked how many have we signed at those other positions. You morphed it into "while Mullen was here" question just now I didn't.

Obviously there was static in the line then

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 03:20 PM
There a couple of lineman that had a chance to be in our program or that would sign with us that could have potentially really helped us if Hev wasn't here. And no I'm not going thru the exercise of listing them.

3rdGen
01-06-2017, 03:23 PM
If Hevesy is so terrible than how come we have the eight best offensive seasons ever for our program in the eight seasons Mullen & Hev have been coaching our offense at the same exact time that Alabama and especially their defense has been the best its ever been? We are setting records at the same exact time we are having to face that juggernaut of a defense every year and Alabama isn't the only SEC team to win a NC that've we've faced in the same timeframe. It's pretty damn obvious Hevesy is very important to Mullen.

I don't get the point your trying to make.

1. We don't play bama everygame. That's why we are setting records.
2. Are we setting records against bama? just trying to understand your reasoning.
3. Its ok for Hevy to be important to Mullen but if the Natty is so important to Dan like he says then why the hell would he let Hevy get away with the stuff we have been talking about. When multiple recruits are missed its time to nut up and handle your shit. Like I said earlier if he can coach fine, let the man coach, if he cant recruit or is just not that good at it or doesn't want to, then for the sake of football in the state of MS don't stick the guy with recruits. It really is that simple.

NO NO , ITS SEMANTICS lol see that on here a lot but its not that complicated and if I was getting paid like all these coaches, that would be the swinging dick I needed to make decisions and changes. Its obvious that Mullen has leeway with the admin so lets get a frickin snake tonged guy in there that can sell a used condom to a balloon ty'er and don't have to know jack shite about coaching and pay them all according to contribution.

One more time, from what I am seeing the guy is a great position coach. I even read an article about how good of a position coach he is, but that isn't all there is to college football.
Also, I realize that MS does not produce OL recruits like other states. Which actually blows my frickin mind because of all the beast lookin guys I see around.

Maybe somebody needs to start a training camp or something for OL development.
I would but I don't know anything about that or where to start. Oh but if I did!
There is money in it boys, and I want to get down with the dollars.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
There a couple of lineman that had a chance to be in our program or that would sign with us that could have potentially really helped us if Hev wasn't here. And no I'm not going thru the exercise of listing them.

Ok look I have no undying love for Hevesy here but you gotta see that he is important to Mullen and for whatever reason that is only Mullen knows. Sure we could potentially sign better recruits with a different OL coach but does that improve our offense when you take away the offensive assistant that Mullen wants here the most? I think you guys are playing with a lit match and dynamite here. You're willing to potentially blow up Mullen's offense completely so we can potentially sign better "on paper" OL than we have in the past even though it's been proven fact over and over that offensive line is the single most difficult position to project good players from. You're chasing stars when Mullen has told you repeatedly that's not how he recruits nor will he ever.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:33 PM
I don't get the point your trying to make.

1. We don't play bama everygame. That's why we are setting records.
2. Are we setting records against bama? just trying to understand your reasoning.

The records would be even higher than they already are is my point. He is setting records while still having to face that defense once a year. And LSU and Auburn. The point really is that our offense is producing at a tremendous rate compared to our history and I don't think its worth ****ing that up to chase stars.

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Ok look I have no undying love for Hevesy here but you gotta see that he is important to Mullen and for whatever reason that is only Mullen knows. Sure we could potentially sign better recruits with a different OL coach but does that improve our offense when you take away the offensive assistant that Mullen wants here the most? I think you guys are playing with a lit match and dynamite here. You're willing to potentially blow up Mullen's offense completely so we can potentially sign better "on paper" OL than we have in the past even though it's been proven fact over and over that offensive line is the single most difficult position to project good players from. You're chasing stars when Mullen has told you repeatedly that's not how he recruits nor will he ever.

Blow up the offense completely? By getting rid of Hevesy? This is some of the stupidest moronic horseshit ever been typed on this here message board. I can't believe that actually made it to the post button.

I'm not chasing stars I'm chasing players. Hevesy is a ****ing detriment to our program. You act like he is the glue that holds the whole ****ing thing together. He is not the OL whisperer, not even in that universe.

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I dont know why I even engage. It's useless. And I'm typing this now bc I know what's coming.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Blow up the offense completely? By getting rid of Hevesy? This is some of the stupidest moronic horseshit ever been typed on this here message board. I can't believe that actually made it to the post button.

I'm not chasing stars I'm chasing players. Hevesy is a ****ing detriment to our program. You act like he is the glue that holds the whole ****ing thing together. He is not the OL whisperer, not even in that universe.

Yet Mullen doesn't want to let hevesy go. Perhaps you know how to run our offense better than Mullen

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Yet Mullen doesn't want to let hevesy go. Perhaps you know how to run our offense better than Mullen

Don't be ****ing stupid. I would damn sure recruit better.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Hey, the Saints fired Vitt. There's hope for those that wish unemployment on a longtime assistant.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Don't be ****ing stupid. I would damn sure recruit better.
Haha probably so

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 03:45 PM

Already told you I don't have the answer to why Hevesy is so important to Mullen. Only Mullen can answer that but Mullen's offense is by far the best we've ever had so I am just gonna trust him that he needs and wants Hevesy around for a reason. Chemistry can't be explained. Throwing out Hevesy is ****ing with Mullen's offensive chemistry. So yes you're risking blowing up Mullen's offense when you start ****ing with his chemistry. He has made it very clear Hevesy is very important to him. Wish you guys were this passionate about Mullen changing his pus$y defensive philosophy as you are about firing Hevesy.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Hevesy is not responsible for our offense "setting records". Mullen is. But IF Hevesy IS the conductor of our offensive engine (which he isn't), and absolutely cannot be replaced without destroying our record setting offense....then make him OC and hire an OL coach...bc he can't recruit, and we can't afford to waste the first 6-7 games every year trying to let him play musical chairs and figure out who can suck the least to start for our SEC offensive line.

Like I said earlier, if your Sales Region hit quota but that was because 9 reps blew quota out of the water and made up for the one guy that didn't hit quota, you have 2 options.....keep status quo and be happy your region hit quota and got small bonuses, OR replace the weak link bc you can blow quota out of the water with a competent 10th salesman and everybody can get a monster bonus next year. Winners want to maximize their potential, losers are happy with just getting by. That's what I'm getting at. If not being able to move the ball at all against good teams, but "setting records" in the other games on our way to 6 wins makes you happy...fine. But don't get mad at those of us that feel a better OL could significantly improve our chances to upset a few teams we normally wouldn't and would definitely help us climb a few rungs higher on the SEC ladder.

lamont
01-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Every college around is setting personal offensive records. We have been going thru an offensive revolution the last 10 years

I seen it dawg
01-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Already told you I don't have the answer to why Hevesy is so important to Mullen. Only Mullen can answer that but Mullen's offense is by far the best we've ever had so I am just gonna trust him that he needs and wants Hevesy around for a reason. Chemistry can't be explained. Throwing out Hevesy is ****ing with Mullen's offensive chemistry. So yes you're risking blowing up Mullen's offense when you start ****ing with his chemistry. He has made it very clear Hevesy is very important to him. Wish you guys were this passionate about Mullen changing his pus$y defensive philosophy as you are about firing Hevesy.

Well maybe you are onto something...if Hev is integral to the engine and crucial to Mullen even with his obvious shortcomings and Mullen won't do anything about our defensive philosophy then by that Mullen should be the one to probably go...let's go get a guy that will hold coaches accountable to their complete job duties. It can be done.

gtowndawg
01-06-2017, 03:58 PM
let's go get a guy that will hold coaches accountable to their complete job duties. It can be done.

Was hoping that was Cohen...we'll see.

CadaverDawg
Every college around is setting personal offensive records. We have been going thru an offensive revolution the last 10 years

Yep.

What is the one question mark EVERY SINGLE YEAR going into the season at MSU? What about the years we win 8 or 9...what is the reason we didn't get to 10 or 11? It's always the same one position group that keeps our seasons from being what they could be, or has us questioning our team going in. Even in the 2014 year, one position group kept us from winning the West....they were overachieving enough to get us 10 wins, but they ultimately weren't talented enough to get us that monster 11th. I don't have to say what group.

msstate7
Hevesy is not responsible for our offense "setting records". Mullen is. But IF Hevesy IS the conductor of our offensive engine (which he isn't), and absolutely cannot be replaced without destroying our record setting offense....then make him OC and hire an OL coach...bc he can't recruit, and we can't afford to waste the first 6-7 games every year trying to let him play musical chairs and figure out who can suck the least to start for our SEC offensive line.

Like I said earlier, if your Sales Region hit quota but that was because 9 reps blew quota out of the water and made up for the one guy that didn't hit quota, you have 2 options.....keep status quo and be happy your region hit quota and got small bonuses, OR replace the weak link bc you can blow quota out of the water with a competent 10th salesman and everybody can get a monster bonus next year. Winners want to maximize their potential, losers are happy with just getting by. That's what I'm getting at. If not being able to move the ball at all against good teams, but "setting records" in the other games on our way to 6 wins makes you happy...fine. But don't get mad at those of us that feel a better OL could significantly improve our chances to upset a few teams we normally wouldn't and would definitely help us climb a few rungs higher on the SEC ladder.

Waste first 6-7 games?

Since Mullen got here, we're 38-20 in our first 7 games of the season. Throw out this year's 2-5 and we're 36-15.

I notice the fire Hev crowd left off the "can't block OM" this year.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Yep.

What is the one question mark EVERY SINGLE YEAR going into the season at MSU? What about the years we win 8 or 9...what is the reason we didn't get to 10 or 11? It's always the same one position group that keeps our seasons from being what they could be, or has us questioning our team going in. Even in the 2014 year, one position group kept us from winning the West....they were overachieving enough to get us 10 wins, but they ultimately weren't talented enough to get us that monster 11th. I don't have to say what group.

Safety has been just as much of a question mark throughout mullen's tenure, yet we never hear about it... just oline

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Then shouldn't we be freaking out about how to improve our defense? The differences between our defense and Bama & LSU's defense is why they slaughter us every year. They always have top 10 defenses and ours always sucks vs them. When we start having top 10 defenses is when we can beat them not when we get lucky to land a couple "stars" on OL.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Yeah, Florida, vandy, mizzou, South Carolina and lsu have been rewriting the record books offensively the last few years

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Yep.

2014 was on our ass clown DC in the UM game and we scored 20 on Bama and lost by 5. Had no DC for the bowl game but scored 34 and lost. Our OL had little to do with those games we lost. 2015 was a crapfest at OL though.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:05 PM
2014 was on our ass clown DC in the UM game and we scored 20 on Bama and lost by 5. Had no DC for the bowl game but scored 34 and lost. Our OL had little to do with those games we lost.

Yep. Dak's ints vs bama were the killer in '14

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:08 PM

We coulda run the ball with an OL....and don't let cooter fool you, we all know that game wasn't nearly as close as the final indicated.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm done arguing though, nobody's changing anyone's mind.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Well maybe you are onto something...if Hev is integral to the engine and crucial to Mullen even with his obvious shortcomings and Mullen won't do anything about our defensive philosophy then by that Mullen should be the one to probably go...let's go get a guy that will hold coaches accountable to their complete job duties. It can be done.

Would we change our last eight seasons with LSU? Absolutely we would but LSU just fired their coach so unless we are hiring Saban the frustration for lack of being the best in all of college football is going to be here. Firing Mullen won't fix it cause the next guy is going to get his ass kicked by Saban too.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:09 PM
We coulda run the ball with an OL....and don't let cooter fool you, we all know that game wasn't nearly as close as the final indicated.

Not throwing ints in the red zone couldve made it close though, right?

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Come on... few more posts, you almost got me haha

lamont
01-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Yeah, Florida, vandy, mizzou, South Carolina and lsu have been rewriting the record books offensively the last few years

Exactly- look at SC:

Conner Shaw became the 2nd in career TD passes in 2013
Dylan Thompson had the 2nd highest total for a season in 2014- Shaw is 3rd

Mike Davis had their 4th best rushing season in 2013
Lattimore set the career total for rushing TD's while there

Samuel tied the school record for receptions in a game this season
McKinley and Jeffrey broke all of Sterling Sharpe's records

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:16 PM

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2lrdhzPAo1r2ahfqo2_400.gif

Sweet no more melting about Hevesy till NSD then. Argument done. Now will the other 4 squeaky wheels join us? Doubtful

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Could've run it if our RB wasn't trying to bounce everything outside and if Dak had not decided to be a statue and run it? Our defense couldn't keep them from scoring that last TD. They converted on long downs. The play calling wasn't good that game either. We did put up over 400 yards of offense though. Gave up 1 whole sack.

lamont
01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

because we couldnt run the ball at all- our OL was being dominated

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 04:22 PM

We had more rushing yards than AL.

lamont
01-06-2017, 04:28 PM

less ypc too

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Yep, our D was good enough to win...and bc we were running the ball down 25-7 or whatever in the 4th quarter and they were willing to let us drain the clock. But don't let facts ruin your defense of a good shitburger

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:31 PM

We couldn't run the ball vs Alabama.

Alabama's rushing defense rankings nationally

2016: 1st
2015: 1st
2014: 4th
2013: 7th
2012: 1st
2011: 1st
2010: 8th
2009: 4th
2008: 7th

Nobody can run the ball vs Bama since Saban showed up

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Yep, our D was good enough to win...and bc we were running the ball down 25-7 or whatever in the 4th quarter and they were willing to let us drain the clock. But don't let facts ruin your defense of a good shitburger

It was 19-13 with 14 mins left. Defense gave up a 6 min TD drive to end any hopes. But it wasn't close............lol

Cooterpoot
01-06-2017, 04:34 PM
less ypc too

LOL....who cares? We out rushed them. That half a yard means what? That you're reaching.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Who would've thought that a thread over a kid with no P5 offers being dropped would cause such a melt over Hev only landing olinemen with no P5 offers. Go figure...

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:36 PM
It was 19-13 with 14 mins left. Defense gave up a 6 min TD drive to end any hopes. But it wasn't close............lol

Do you watch football? Everybody in the country knew we were overmatched and weren't going to win that game. It was nowhere near as close as the score made it look. Why??? Oh that's right...bc we COULDNT MOVE THE BALL BC OUR OL WAS BEING DOMINATED IN THE TRENCHES. Which is my whole point.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Do you watch football? Everybody in the country knew we were overmatched and weren't going to win that game. It was nowhere near as close as the score made it look. Why??? Oh that's right...bc we COULDNT MOVE THE BALL BC OUR OL WAS BEING DOMINATED IN THE TRENCHES. Which is my whole point.

How did dak throw ints in the red zone without being able to move the ball to the red zone?

basedog
01-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Damn, I go away for a few hours and "Wash, lather, rinse and repeat"! RP should patent this phrase.

Please Lock This Threat, it will be back running in a few days!

I haven't been a Hev fan, just a Msu fan but yet ED lives on crap like this now for days and now years. Do any ever get tired of saying the same ole same ole?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:41 PM
We couldn't run the ball vs Alabama.

Alabama's rushing defense rankings nationally

2016: 1st
2015: 1st
2014: 4th
2013: 7th
2012: 1st
2011: 1st
2010: 8th
2009: 4th
2008: 7th

Nobody can run the ball vs Bama since Saban showed up

We aren't asking for us to run for 300 yds against them, good grief. But plenty of SEC teams were able to at least breath offensively against them. You would think a 10 win, run first, offense with Dak & JRob and their "record setting" offense would be able to create at least a running lane or two before the game was over & we were down 25-13 in the 4th. Stop cherry picking stats and think about the actual game. You & cooterpoot are acting like you've never seen this team play.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM

No we lost because we had 3 turnovers to Bama's 0 and we managed 6 points in 4 of our times in the redzone. We did score 2 other touchdown though, had the ball for 4 minutes longer than them and outgained Alabama 428-335 in offense.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM
How did dak throw ints in the red zone without being able to move the ball to the red zone?

Why were we throwing passes in the red zone when we had a record setting run first offense and one of the best running QB's in SEC history? Was it bc we couldn't gain 2 yds per carry with our OL against Bama's D?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:45 PM
No we lost because we had 3 turnovers to Bama's 0 and we managed 6 points in 4 of our times in the redzone. We did score 2 other touchdown though, had the ball for 4 minutes longer than them and outgained Alabama 428-335 in offense.

Why couldn't we score in the red zone??? Hmmm

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:45 PM
We aren't asking for us to run for 300 yds against them, good grief. But plenty of SEC teams were able to at least breath offensively against them. You would think a 10 win, run first, offense with Dak & JRob and their "record setting" offense would be able to create at least a running lane or two before the game was over & we were down 25-13 in the 4th. Stop cherry picking stats and think about the actual game. You & cooterpoot are acting like you've never seen this team play.

It was a one score game in the 4th and our defense couldn't get off the field. Sims converted 3 3rd and longs on scrambles.

msstate7
01-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Why couldn't we score in the red zone??? Hmmm

Ints seems like a plausible explanation

CadaverDawg
01-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Ints seems like a plausible explanation

WHY WERE WE THROWING IN THE RED ZONE IF OUR OL WAS SO GOOD?