PDA

View Full Version : One thing to look at in all this basketball coaching examination

lamont
01-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Look at South Carolina:

Darrin Horn had led W. Kentucky to a Sweet 16 and then takes the SC job. He wins a share of the East title one year but is fired after four years for never making the NCAA's

SC hires Big Frank who is a very good college coach. Its taken him 5 years to get SC in position to make the NCAA's

Its a new day for SEC basketball and its not as easy as it was for the SEC 20 years ago. Very good coaches are failing in the SEC. Howland needs to get things done- but SEC basketball is in decline and alot of it has to do with the athletes its recruiting here in the South these days

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2017, 10:12 PM
LOL

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 10:24 PM
That's a very accurate post. Less talent is playing basketball in hs these days too. Now they play DE.

klong-dog
01-04-2017, 10:25 PM
How can anyone be shocked or surprised in Howland's 1.5 year at State? He was dealt with 4 or 5 seniors that had done nothing, but lose. Now he's in year 2 with 8 fresh and the youngest team in the country. I mean, why is there such angst among he and our team?

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 10:29 PM
How can anyone be shocked or surprised in Howland's 1.5 year at State? He was dealt with 4 or 5 seniors that had done nothing, but lose. Now he's in year 2 with 8 fresh and the youngest team in the country. I mean, why is there such angst among he and our team?

I think people want to win now. But that's not reality- this is more like when Cohen took over the baseball team and some people wanted Cohen and/or Butch gone in the midst of year two. We know Howland has recruited well and he has a good track record of developing talent. Unfortunately we just have to be patient but it will come.

Dawg61
01-04-2017, 10:30 PM
North recruits the South for football. South needs to recruit the North for basketball.

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Agree with all of that. The best athletes around here don't play basketball anymore. SEC is behind the curve and had to have a coaching catharsis and bring in these big name guys who can lure national talent in recruiting. That is why I hope we are patient with Howland and don't go flying off the handle due to lingering frustration from the last couple years of Stans and the RR tenure.

Dawg61
01-04-2017, 10:45 PM
I think people want to win now. But that's not reality- this is more like when Cohen took over the baseball team and some people wanted Cohen and/or Butch gone in the midst of year two. We know Howland has recruited well and he has a good track record of developing talent. Unfortunately we just have to be patient but it will come.

Atleast Cohen never had a problem lighting someone's ass up if they are being lazy or when he thinks the umps are calling it unfairly. He was a retard and bunted in the 1st inning with zero outs though.

lamont
01-04-2017, 10:50 PM
North recruits the South for football. South needs to recruit the North for basketball.

probably your best post ever

Bucky Dog
01-04-2017, 10:59 PM
My only issue last year and this with Howlands team is the lack of consistent EFFORT on the defensive end of the floor, and settling for 3. Yes they are young but Cal starts 3-4 freshmen every year and they do ok. I just want to see more discipline and consistent effort, and they need to understand they all can't average 20 points a game and jack the 3. They will still get drafted.

msbulldog
01-05-2017, 07:44 AM
My only issue last year and this with Howlands team is the lack of consistent EFFORT on the defensive end of the floor, and settling for 3. Yes they are young but Cal starts 3-4 freshmen every year and they do ok. I just want to see more discipline and consistent effort, and they need to understand they all can't average 20 points a game and jack the 3. They will still get drafted.

Cal starts all McDonald All- Americans.

MarketingBully
01-05-2017, 09:09 AM
The problem with this team is we are so young and we are learning pretty much everything. Our leader is a true sophomore who is still learning quite a bit himself. We have one senior and although he does play hard he is very limited from a size and athletic stand point at the most important position on the floor (the point guard). We were dealt a serious blow when we had a kid declared ineligible by the NCAA who was a 4.0 student (figures). We also start three guys out of position in our starting five out of necessity. Next year, we will be infinitely better simply from having IJ finally gone and Nick Weatherspoon replacing him. We will also instantly get a lot bigger by Ado being eligible and getting those two bigs in the class. The future is indeed bright just probably will take a couple of extra years to realize it.

Ari Gold
01-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Cal starts all McDonald All- Americans.

And he has 3-4 more on the bench..

Ari Gold
01-05-2017, 09:29 AM
probably your best post ever

Agree. This should have been Dawg61 drop the mic and walk off post.. Just copy and paste from here on out..

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Agree. This should have been Dawg61 drop the mic and walk off post.. Just copy and paste from here on out..

Ari Gold on Entourage is funny but you should change your name to Turtle. It suits you better.

Ari Gold
01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Ari Gold on Entourage is funny but you should change your name to Turtle. It suits you better.

Ok Lloyd... that's how you have a mic drop walk off.. Boom

BB30
01-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Look at South Carolina:

Darrin Horn had led W. Kentucky to a Sweet 16 and then takes the SC job. He wins a share of the East title one year but is fired after four years for never making the NCAA's

SC hires Big Frank who is a very good college coach. Its taken him 5 years to get SC in position to make the NCAA's

Its a new day for SEC basketball and its not as easy as it was for the SEC 20 years ago. Very good coaches are failing in the SEC. Howland needs to get things done- but SEC basketball is in decline and alot of it has to do with the athletes its recruiting here in the South these days

I actually agree 100% with you. Give Howland time and he will win here. I am still excited about where our basketball program is and is headed. I think Howland has us headed in the right direction it will just take time. I don't understand why Stansbury is still being brought up it is water under the bridge now. He had lost the team and made some poor decisions down the stretch. I enjoyed what he did for our basketball program but I think some fans are misguided in the success they thought he had. He won a lot in the SEC but really struggled to do anything in the post season. It seems some think we were a top 15-20 program while he was here and that just was not the case.

tireddawg
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Howland just needs to yell more. We would prob win the SEC if he did.**