PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Peters

msstate7
01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm watching Georgia play South Carolina and it reminded me of when Georgia came to state 2 years ago. JJ Frazier absolutely went off. Anyway, I really think peters is gonna be a similar player to Frazier. Good comparison or not?

confucius say
01-04-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm watching Georgia play South Carolina and it reminded me of when Georgia came to state 2 years ago. JJ Frazier absolutely went off. Anyway, I really think peters is gonna be a similar player to Frazier. Good comparison or not?

Peters is quicker off the bounce and more explosive. Poor mans Russell Westbrook. Frazier more of a shooter who developed into a guy that could drive later. Poor mans Stephen curry.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Peters is quicker off the bounce and more explosive. Poor mans Russell Westbrook. Frazier more of a shooter who developed into a guy that could drive later. Poor mans Stephen curry.

Peters isn't similar to Westbrook in any way other than they both play basketball.

RiverCityDawg
01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Peters isn't similar to Westbrook in any way other than they both play basketball.

Nice. I agree.

I've heard some people compare Peters to Zimmerman. I see Dee Bost as a better comparison (except higher ceiling for Peters). Similar size, both scoring point guards with great quickness and ball handling. I think Peters is even quicker and has better shot mechanics though.

Intramural All-American
01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
I'd compare him more to isiah Thomas for the celtics. Small, quick lefty with a nice stroke. Thomas is actually a little shorter though

Prentis
01-04-2017, 08:30 PM
I'd compare him more to isiah Thomas for the celtics. Small, quick lefty with a nice stroke. Thomas is actually a little shorter though

Nice comparison

JoseBrown
01-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Zeke! Would be something if he could have a career similar to his... Dak on top of the world in NFL, Papelbon preceded Dak as a former MSU guy on top of the world in MLB, we need someone as successful in the NBA one of these days.. It's been a long time since we've had a basketball player with equivalent professional success as some our former football and baseball players.

confucius say
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM

Why you say that? I think peters is extremely quick off the dribble and explosive. In no way am I saying peters, or any point guard on earth, is as good as Westbrook. I'm talking about what STYLE of player he resembles, not talent level.

confucius say
01-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Nice. I agree.

I've heard some people compare Peters to Zimmerman. I see Dee Bost as a better comparison (except higher ceiling for Peters). Similar size, both scoring point guards with great quickness and ball handling. I think Peters is even quicker and has better shot mechanics though.

Peters is better than bost, but yea as far as his game being much more similar to bost than Z, I agree.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Why you say that? I think peters is extremely quick off the dribble and explosive. In no way am I saying peters, or any point guard on earth, is as good as Westbrook.

There games aren't really similar at all. Peters is a better shooter with a slick handle. He's not that explosive. Westbrook is 1 of the most athletic PG's to ever play. He gets to the paint with quickness, aggression, & explosiveness. They just aren't similar. I've always saw a lot of Brandon Jennings in Lamar. Now if you would've said Nick Weatherspoon was a poor mans Westbrook now you have something

lamont
01-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Peters is a very quick PG type that can shoot the basketball. He handles the ball well and is magic with the dribble- he just needs to mature.

For older State guys- he is Chucky Evans with a better 3 point shot

drummerdawg
01-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Or a rich man's Gary Ervin.

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare players, but after going to the game last night and watching a few others, Peters needs a hell of lot more minutes than Ready. I can make that comparison. Peters more explosive, much better shooter, and better passer. On ball defense might be better too. He needs more minutes now!

msstate7
01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare players, but after going to the game last night and watching a few others, Peters needs a hell of lot more minutes than Ready. I can make that comparison. Peters more explosive, much better shooter, and better passer. On ball defense might be better too. He needs more minutes now!
Gotta play defense without fouling

MarketingBully
01-04-2017, 09:25 PM

We get exponentially better just by Nick Weatherspoon replacing Ready next year.

confucius say
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
There games aren't really similar at all. Peters is a better shooter with a slick handle. He's not that explosive. Westbrook is 1 of the most athletic PG's to ever play. He gets to the paint with quickness, aggression, & explosiveness. They just aren't similar. I've always saw a lot of Brandon Jennings in Lamar. Now if you would've said Nick Weatherspoon was a poor mans Westbrook now you have something

Yea Russell is super quick. But You don't think peters is explosive? His first step off the dribble is deadly when he uses it. He also gets to the paint with quickness, aggression, & explosiveness. I think you are selling peters short.

confucius say
01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
We get exponentially better just by Nick Weatherspoon replacing Ready next year.

For sure

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Gotta play defense without fouling

I saw him a few times last he got beat and tried to reach around. One call was crap, when he had his hands out and was moving his feet around the free throw line. Another was a stupid foul on him because he turned it over and pulled a freshman move. His positives far out weigh the negatives compared to Ready though.

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Of course, but Peters needs to play now to keep getting better.

MarketingBully
01-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Now hear me out on this but I think a great comparison for Peters would be Allen Iverson. Same build, size, quickness and both very explosive scorers. Next year we could have a poor man's Russel Westbrook in Nick Weathspoon and a poor man's Allen Iverson in Lamar Peters in our backcourt and that would be A Ok to me.

MarketingBully
01-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Of course, but Peters needs to play now to keep getting better.

He's getting there and when he stops fouling so much he will get 20-30 minutes off the bench.

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Now hear me out on this but I think a great comparison for Peters would be Allen Iverson. Same build, size, quickness and both very explosive scorers. Next year we could have a poor man's Russel Westbrook in Nick Weathspoon and a poor man's Allen Iverson in Lamar Peters in our backcourt and that would be A Ok to me.

If Howland can improve the front court(because we are soft as hell right now), we should have something with the two Spoons and Peters in the back court

MarketingBully
01-04-2017, 09:50 PM
If Howland can improve the front court(because we are soft as hell right now), we should have something with the two Spoons and Peters in the back court

We are adding a 6'11" defensive shot blocker in Ado next year (who I think starts at Center), adding a 6'10 true power forward in Garrison Brooks, and adding a 6'9" stretch four in Feazel. I think it's safe to say we will have plenty of front court depth next year.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Any mention of our future backcourt should include my favorite dawg, Tyson carter

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Any mention of our future backcourt should include my favorite dawg, Tyson carter

I will second that. Didn't mean to leave anyone out really. He probably played the best last night

klong-dog
01-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Only players that I can think of in the league that remind me some of Peters, is... Isiah Thomas, Brandon Jennings, D'Angelo Russell which are all guards and lefties.

tcdog70
01-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Peters is a very quick PG type that can shoot the basketball. He handles the ball well and is magic with the dribble- he just needs to mature.

You beat me to it. Chucks was an Old Dominion transfer who did about 7 assists a game and never missed a free throw in the clutch. I think top 3 in MSU pgs. played with ole Johnny Walker.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 10:37 PM
played with ole Johnny Walker.

Maybe this team needs whiskey too**

tcdog70
01-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Peters is better than bost, but yea as far as his game being much more similar to bost than Z, I agree.

Easy there Turbo. I like Peters but how about He become all-sec first. You know like Bost did. Then lead us to 20 win seasons, you know like Bost did.

In his freshman season at Mississippi State, he was named to the 2009 SEC All-Freshman team. In 36 games, he averaged 10.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.4 steals per game.[1][2]

In his sophomore season, he was named to the 2010 All-SEC second team. In 36 games, he averaged 13.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.3 steals in 34.9 minutes per game.[1][2]

In April 2010, he declared for the NBA draft.[3] In September 2010, he was suspended for 14 games by the NCAA for failing to withdraw properly before the NBA draft's deadline in May and failing to maintain his academics in the spring semester and offseason.[4] Following the suspension, Bost returned to the Bulldogs' line-up as team captain and went on to be named to the All-SEC second team for the second straight year. In 17 games, he averaged 15.3 points, 3.5 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.6 steals in 35.5 minutes per game.[1][2]

In his senior year, he was named to the All-SEC first team and the NABC Division I All-District 21 second team. In 33 games, he averaged 15.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 2.0 steals in 36.3 minutes per game.[2]

confucius say
01-04-2017, 11:47 PM
I liked bost, but If peters got the same minutes bost did as a freshman (bost was starter from day 1), which he should over ready, he would have better numbers than bost. Peters would also be a great defender 8 years ago when you could actually play defense, unlike today where the new rules are ruining the game. Bost was average at best defensively.

pilldawg
01-04-2017, 11:52 PM

Nm

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Nm

That was disrespectful to Chris Jackson.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2017, 12:05 AM
I liked bost, but If peters got the same minutes bost did as a freshman (bost was starter from day 1), which he should over ready, he would have better numbers than bost. Peters would also be a great defender 8 years ago when you could actually play defense, unlike today where the new rules are ruining the game. Bost was average at best defensively.

If Lamar started right now he'd foul out before halftime. He's going to be a good 1 but he has to learn to play under control on both ends.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 01:11 AM

I love your optimism with Peters but Iverson was a 6'0 160lb SG with the greatest crossover in the history of basketball. Iverson could break Jordan's ankles. I think the Isaiah Thomas (Boston Celtics) comparison is the best one.

headcoach98
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Weatherspoon is more Westbrook than Peters, but I'm extremely excited to see those 2 in the backcourt together for the next 2-3 seasons. Hopefully Herard and Ado both develop into quality big men and we have ourselves a squad fellas!

Thick
01-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Stephon Marbury

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
I love your optimism with Peters but Iverson was a 6'0 160lb SG with the greatest crossover in the history of basketball. Iverson could break Jordan's ankles. I think the Isaiah Thomas (Boston Celtics) comparison is the best one.

Surely you ain't talking about MJ here? Iverson is quick but he ain't that quick.

fishwater99
01-05-2017, 09:48 AM

Howland said this week that Lamar might be his quickest player ever and that you can't guard him off the ball screen.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Peters is a poor man's Allen Iverson to me

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Surely you ain't talking about MJ here? Iverson is quick but he ain't that quick.

You watch much basketball when Iverson played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3X274lz3wY

thf24
01-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Easy there Turbo. I like Peters but how about He become all-sec first. You know like Bost did. Then lead us to 20 win seasons, you know like Bost did.

In his freshman season at Mississippi State, he was named to the 2009 SEC All-Freshman team. In 36 games, he averaged 10.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.4 steals per game.[1][2]

In his sophomore season, he was named to the 2010 All-SEC second team. In 36 games, he averaged 13.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.3 steals in 34.9 minutes per game.[1][2]

In April 2010, he declared for the NBA draft.[3] In September 2010, he was suspended for 14 games by the NCAA for failing to withdraw properly before the NBA draft's deadline in May and failing to maintain his academics in the spring semester and offseason.[4] Following the suspension, Bost returned to the Bulldogs' line-up as team captain and went on to be named to the All-SEC second team for the second straight year. In 17 games, he averaged 15.3 points, 3.5 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.6 steals in 35.5 minutes per game.[1][2]

In his senior year, he was named to the All-SEC first team and the NABC Division I All-District 21 second team. In 33 games, he averaged 15.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 2.0 steals in 36.3 minutes per game.[2]

Peters is very close to Bost's freshman averages in 2/3 of the minutes per game, and shooting a whole 10% higher, 13% higher from 3. Not to take anything away from Dee, he was a great one for us, and obviously no telling if Peters is going to match his career accolades. But combining the numbers with the eye test, it's perfectly fair to say that Peters is better than he is. Dee got the most he could out of his talent, which was a lot, but it's easy to see that Peters' ceiling is significantly higher.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Peters will be great for us one day. But he like alot of our guys are coming into college from HS where they were "It". It was all about them. This first year is all about getting the "I" out and getting them to learn how to gel,play as a team, and feed off of one another. You are going to see improvement in all our guys this year as they learn that, and then next year is when we are really going to see a bump. Peters is the one I am most excited about. There is just something about him that tells me, he will be great. (Although he kind of reminds me of Gary Ervin, but I hope the feeling goes away). I got the same feeling with a guy named Dak, his first year here.

confucius say
01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
If Lamar started right now he'd foul out before halftime. He's going to be a good 1 but he has to learn to play under control on both ends.

Agreed. The new rules suck. They Didn't exist when bost played.

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Peters is very close to Bost's freshman averages in 2/3 of the minutes per game, and shooting a whole 10% higher, 13% higher from 3. Not to take anything away from Dee, he was a great one for us, and obviously no telling if Peters is going to match his career accolades. But combining the numbers with the eye test, it's perfectly fair to say that Peters is better than he is. Dee got the most he could out of his talent, which was a lot, but it's easy to see that Peters' ceiling is significantly higher.

I think Lamar is our best Freshman, but He will have to really step it up to be better than Bost. Dee was also a good defender who played over 35 minutes a game. Dee wasn't asked to be a primary scorer. But I hope Lamar turns out to be the best ever, He has the talent.

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Agreed. The new rules suck. They Didn't exist when bost played.

Remember the rules can also work for you. He can use them to His advantage offensively. When Dee played , He was hand checked and bumped for 35 minutes a game, Lamar isn't being guarded like that and hasn't had to play the minutes Dee did.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Remember the rules can also work for you. He can use them to His advantage offensively. When Dee played , He was hand checked and bumped for 35 minutes a game, Lamar isn't being guarded like that and hasn't had to play the minutes Dee did.

Dee Bost was a HUGE cancer. Someone update tcdog on him please it's been five years nobody has to keep it secret anymore.

tireddawg
01-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Lamar Peters is a great Lamar Peters. With time & development could be one of the best ever. I love his game. He is quick like a cat & looks to be pretty strong for his size. Once his mental game catches up with his physical game, look out...

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Dee Bost was a HUGE cancer. Someone update tcdog on him please it's been five years nobody has to keep it secret anymore.

he was a very productive Cancer. You don't have to be Johnny Sunshine to play basketball. I watched every game He played. I can't remember him over sleeping and missing a game. How about just telling us the details, that way everyone will know.

confucius say
01-05-2017, 01:46 PM

"Had to play?" You mean "gottten/allowed to play."

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 01:56 PM
he was a very productive Cancer

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Arsenio-Hall-Eddie-Murphy-Shocked-Look.gif

RiverCityDawg
01-05-2017, 04:20 PM

This thread is comparing playing styles, not necessarily off the court attitudes. And besides cancer is way too strong... Cancer kills the host unless eliminated and sometimes even then (see Renardo Sidney). We won a lot of damn games with Bost as the PG and were better off with him than without.

maroonmania
01-05-2017, 05:16 PM
This thread is comparing playing styles, not necessarily off the court attitudes. And besides cancer is way too strong... Cancer kills the host unless eliminated and sometimes even then (see Renardo Sidney). We won a lot of damn games with Bost as the PG and were better off with him than without.

Yea, not sure what all went on with Bost behind the scenes but it was pretty obvious from his actions along the bench and during timeouts that he gave Stans ZERO respect as a coach.

Dawg61
01-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Cancer kills the host

Stansbury's team was the host. Both got kilt by that Boststasis.

tcdog70
01-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Stansbury's team was the host. Both got kilt by that Boststasis.

well, I'm waiting for some solid evidence of Bost being a Cancer. Other than your opinion. If everyone knows it should be easy. You take IJ and I'll take Dee and I will 10 out of 10.

Dawg61
01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
well, I'm waiting for some solid evidence of Bost being a Cancer. Other than your opinion. If everyone knows it should be easy. You take IJ and I'll take Dee and I will 10 out of 10.

where have I ever said IJ is anywhere close to being a good player? I've long since deleted the PM's I got about Bost being a shithead in the locker room but I am sure if you PM some of the mods here they will be happy to learn you. Bost was a selfish player that only played for himself and gave zero respect to Stansbury which is not good when Bury lets him start from day 1 as the PG which is basically the QB for basketball. Four years of the team being led by a guy that hated the HC. That's fatal cancer and guess what the team died as did the coach from that cancer.

Percho
01-06-2017, 02:26 PM
where have I ever said IJ is anywhere close to being a good player? I've long since deleted the PM's I got about Bost being a shithead in the locker room but I am sure if you PM some of the mods here they will be happy to learn you. Bost was a selfish player that only played for himself and gave zero respect to Stansbury which is not good when Bury lets him start from day 1 as the PG which is basically the QB for basketball. Four years of the team being led by a guy that hated the HC. That's fatal cancer and guess what the team died as did the coach from that cancer.

If he had Dak's attitude he would be a superstar in the NBA and Stands would still be the coach at MSU. The beginning of the end in my opinion.

KentuckyDawg13
01-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Have always been a big Dee Bost fan, dude could ball. This is the first time I have heard ANYTHING about him being a "cancer".
Until I hear definitive proof, I will continue to respect the guy as a competitor that led our team.