01-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Lee, Gibson, or Murphy?

Let's pray not that middle one

somebodyshotmypaw
01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
I've heard possibly 2

RougeDawg
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Don't be alarmed. This will become the new norm now that we are well into the "everyone gets a trophy" and "all kids get to play" generation. These kids never have had to fight for PT and got rewarded even if they didn't win. They'll move on like Elijah Staley because they think it'll be different somewhere else, and we will see them tweet the same things he has since he left. Wishing he hadn't left and that he made a mistake. It's not these kids faults really. It's the fault of the people who have coddled and entire generation and prevented them from the experience of losing, overcoming adversity, and having to work for what you get.

This generation has been told they were the best at what they did to keep from hurting any feelings, even if they weren't the best at something. The entitled culture is not of their own making.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 07:18 PM

I'm not worried about it. Pretty sure the players had an end of the year meeting with Mullen & or their position coach & were told what their expected roles were next season.

Guys that our staff is high on & plan on playing next year won't be transferring.

If a guy transfers, it's most likely because he's been told he'll be playing a roll he doesn't want to play, &, under those circumstances, better to let them go & open up another scholly.

If a guy was a future Heisman candidate, he'd be in line for playing time next year, I can assure you. This happens at Bama every year.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 07:20 PM

I know one was expected. I will be disappointed if Gibson leaves. I think he's no. 2 on the depth chart right now.

klong-dog
01-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Hoping it's not Gibson either. Always thought he and Murphy were high character kids.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Hoping it's not Gibson either. Always thought he and Murphy were high character kids.

I don't think transferring means you don't have high character

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 07:29 PM
The wording of the post is somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying we will be losing guys due to academic suspension / class attendence / grades, or that we are processing guys and the school enrollment would be the first indication of who is gone?

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Don't be alarmed. This will become the new norm now that we are well into the "everyone gets a trophy" and "all kids get to play" generation. These kids never have had to fight for PT and got rewarded even if they didn't win. They'll move on like Elijah Staley because they think it'll be different somewhere else, and we will see them tweet the same things he has since he left. Wishing he hadn't left and that he made a mistake. It's not these kids faults really. It's the fault of the people who have coddled and entire generation and prevented them from the experience of losing, overcoming adversity, and having to work for what you get.

This generation has been told they were the best at what they did to keep from hurting any feelings, even if they weren't the best at something. The entitled culture is not of their own making.
You forgot to say "Get off my lawn".

t45fixer
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Probably a transfer. Can't be grades. The two being told wouldn't be in the bowl for grades mysteriously got acceptable grades to play.

lamont
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
The wording of the post is somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying we will be losing guys due to academic suspension / class attendence / grades, or that we are processing guys and the school enrollment would be the first indication of who is gone?

I'm saying some guys are going to transfer out either because they have been told they needed to or they themselves feel they need to. At least 1 and maybe even 2 will be RB's

dawgs
01-04-2017, 07:52 PM

No, the guys leaving aren't leaving because they think they are all-stars or anything. Almost all of them are transferring to non-P5 programs or FCS programs because they want to play. Maybe they recognize they simply don't have the shear talent of the guys ahead of them, but would like to play some significant snaps before they never have a chance to play football again? How is going to a place where you can play, even at a lower level a sign of the problem with this generation? Sitting on the bench wishing you were playing is noble? When was the last time we lost a transfer to another P5 program? Have any been any good at a P5 program? The guys leaving know they are moving to a significantly lesser program so they can get on the field. Nothing wrong with that. Hurts our depth, but if these guys were good enough to transfer to other P5 programs, then they would probably be in our future plans and not looking to find somewhere else they could play.

And let's get real, most of the guys that transfer are processed by the COACHES on some level. They may not be told outright to transfer, but it is probably heavily implied that they would be better off at a smaller school where they will have a chance to play, and the coaches do this so they can bring in an extra kid this year and see if they hit the jackpot. If they don't find winning ticket, then that kid will probably be processed in 2 years too so the coaches can sign another lottery ticket.

**all discussion is irrelevant to guys that transfer for grades to juco or get kicked off the team for rule violations/legal reasons**

Leeshouldveflanked
01-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Believe it or not there are some schools who sign a player just to keep someone else from getting the player knowing they will not contribute beyond scout team, then process the player out a year or two down the road....a one time no penalty transfer after Soph year would even out the playing field....

lamont
01-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Believe it or not there are some schools who sign a player just to keep someone else from getting the player knowing they will not contribute beyond scout team, then process the player out a year or two down the road....a one time no penalty transfer after Soph year would even out the playing field....

I agree on this

msstate7
01-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Or once you sign a player he counts against your 85 for 4 years whether they get kicked off, transfer, or go pro. That would create parity... not sure I'd be for it though

Covercorner2
01-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Who cares? If they transfer out it means they weren't good enough to make a major contribution. Trim the fat, sign more talent. Win/win for both parties.

Prentis
01-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Who cares? If they transfer out it means they weren't good enough to make a major contribution. Trim the fat, sign more talent. Win/win for both parties.

"Weren't good enough to make a major contribution". Yeah right, hell all three is probably better that what was in front of them.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 08:36 PM
"Weren't good enough to make a major contribution". Yeah right, hell all three is probably better that what was in front of them.

I was kinda thinkin' same thing.

dawgs
01-04-2017, 08:42 PM

They are better than aeris? He was clearly ahead of them in the pecking order behind the 2 headed "monster" of shump and Holloway.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 08:44 PM
They are better than aeris? He was clearly ahead of them in the pecking order behind the 2 headed "monster" of shump and Holloway.

I'm thinking he meant Holloway and Shump. Everyone I see on the roster are probably much better than the starter and top sub for most of this past year.

ETA: Talent wise that is. Work ethic(s) may suck tho or some other attribute doesn't fit well maybe.

Prentis
01-04-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking he meant Holloway and Shump. Everyone I see on the roster are probably much better than the starter and top sub for most of this past year.

ETA: Talent wise that is. Work ethic(s) may suck tho or some other attribute doesn't fit well maybe.

I heard that Murphy is a gym rat. Can't blame the guys if they are upset. I blame the coaches.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:01 PM
I heard that Murphy is a gym rat. Can't blame the guys if they are upset. I blame the coaches.

I might go along with that if I knew all the circumstances. I can't figure out some things relative to stuff like that at times. Sometimes seems inconsistent. D'Runnya goes off, smokes dope, gets busted, etc. and never misses a beat (except I perceived (without looking it up) his production to drop in '15). JRob seemed to get in the doghouse at the drop of a hat sometimes. Each situation is different and I don't know all the details.

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 09:17 PM

It has to be pretty frustrating to watch two guys who aren't producing on the field and then not getting a chance. We hear about all of these excuses about pass blocking- all the while Holloway gets plowed like a squirrel on the road. I also see Dontavian Lee destroying people on special teams- and yet carries are allegedly earned on special teams. Even worse we see Aeris giving us a functional running game only after an injury. It's total BS.

I dislike how Dan uses our running backs. I love how Jackie always at least tried to have two really good running backs and used them as a tandem whereas Dan tries to just go with one guy. As good as Aeris is/was last year, we would have been even more dangerous using Gibson more than we did. It would also be nice to use a FB/H-Back in our offense as well. I miss Patrick Hanrahan and I have no idea why we stopped using FB/H-Back's after Sylvester Hemphill graduated. Dontavian Lee and Alec Murphy would be beasts as H-Back's.

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 09:20 PM
I might go along with that if I knew all the circumstances. I can't figure out some things relative to stuff like that at times. Sometimes seems inconsistent. D'Runnya goes off, smokes dope, gets busted, etc. and never misses a beat (except I perceived (without looking it up) his production to drop in '15). JRob seemed to get in the doghouse at the drop of a hat sometimes. Each situation is different and I don't know all the details.

What other tall true outside WR did we have besides Bear? Joe Morrow? That's why he got more leeway.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:23 PM
What other tall true outside WR did we have besides Bear? Joe Morrow? That's why he got more leeway.

Probly so. JRob got few carries last 2 games of '14. Shump got most of the carries against OM I believe. I dunno. Does seem like RBs stay in Dan's doghouse to some extent or can't play earlier for some reason.

Prentis
01-04-2017, 09:24 PM

"Circumstances" hell listening to the coaches they either can't pass block, or they don't know their assignments. We all know that's bologna, as far as pass protection goes. Because Holloway can't block my 15 year old. Again I blame the coaches.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:26 PM
"Circumstances" hell listening to the coaches they either can't pass block, or they don't know their assignments. We all know that's bologna, as far as pass protection goes. Because Holloway can't block my 15 year old. Again I blame the coaches.

Not disagreeing. Trying to give Dan and the staff a little benefit of the doubt. I do scratch my head real good about it tho from time to time.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
It means your a quitter.

preachermatt83
01-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Lee is the only one I've heard anything about

Todd4State
Probly so. JRob got few carries last 2 games of '14. Shump got most of the carries against OM I believe. I dunno. Does seem like RBs stay in Dan's doghouse to some extent or can't play earlier for some reason.

My guess is that's feedback from Knox- hence the rumors "Knox is the one who decides who plays." It's still Dan's fault IMO because as the head coach and OC he has the power to put in whomever he wants to. If Knox doesn't like Dan's decisions and decides to leave we simply promote Rod Gibson and move on with a likely upgrade.

lamont

I agree with this. The "they struggle in pass blocking too much to play" line is ridiculous. My 5 year old could overpower Pee Wee back there blocking. Its been comical watching him back there trying to protect- looks like a 7 year old attacking a HS Senior

lamont
01-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Lee is the only one I've heard anything about

Havent heard 1 thing about him leaving

msstate7
01-04-2017, 09:36 PM
It means your a quitter.

I'm glad we got that quitter, jack Kruger, last season. He was instrumental in winning the sec

Covercorner2
01-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Aeris Williams is transferring?

mcain31
01-04-2017, 09:38 PM
It means your a quitter.

I disagree. Look at it like a job where you have no opportunity to advance. Would you leave for another if it gave you the opportunity to advance?

BeardoMSU
01-04-2017, 09:44 PM

Don't say that around here.....

BeardoMSU
01-04-2017, 09:45 PM
It means your a quitter.

Yeah, no.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2017, 09:46 PM
I'm glad we got that quitter, jack Kruger, last season. He was instrumental in winning the sec

And Lawrence Roberts was a yuuuge quitter, too.

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2017, 09:54 PM
And Lawrence Roberts was a yuuuge quitter, too.
And Shane Power says hi.

Bodaski
01-04-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm saying some guys are going to transfer out either because they have been told they needed to or they themselves feel they need to. At least 1 and maybe even 2 will be RB's

You made it sound like guys had quit going to class and will be forced to leave, big difference in what you're saying now. That's how crappy rumors get started on a kid.

lamont
01-04-2017, 10:46 PM
You made it sound like guys had quit going to class and will be forced to leave, big difference in what you're saying now. That's how crappy rumors get started on a kid.

I didnt make it sound like that at all. I said they were not going to be around this semester- most times that equals transfer

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Gotcha. That's what I thought you meant but just wanted to clarify.

I think as long as we get Aeris back (which should be a given) and at least 1 out of 3 between Gibson / Lee / Murphy, then we should be OK with Hill and maybe another late recruiting addition at RB. Then we still have Dear who I still think should be a RB if he wants to have any future playing professionally, so there's that option as well. The good thing is that the coaches should already know the number of departures, and plan accordingly for the last month of recruiting. Maybe even make a final push at the Helaire kid if necessary.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2017, 11:01 PM
If we lose Gibson bc Stubborn Ass wouldn't give him Holloway or Shumpert's reps...I'm going to be so damn pissed. That has been the one thing that keeps me from sticking forks in my eyes when Holloway is in the game...just knowing he would be gone next year & my boy Gibson would get some carries. If he leaves then that makes all of those Holloway carries even worse if that's possible. Dammit, we need good news

Cooterpoot
01-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Lee got into the doghouse missing classes. Then he has battled injuries.

HSVDawg
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM
If we lose Gibson bc Stubborn Ass wouldn't give him Holloway or Shumpert's reps...I'm going to be so damn pissed. That has been the one thing that keeps me from sticking forks in my eyes when Holloway is in the game...just knowing he would be gone next year & my boy Gibson would get some carries. If he leaves then that makes all of those Holloway carries even worse if that's possible. Dammit, we need good news

If we lose Gibson I doubt its because of Holloway / Shump. They're already gone, so it wouldn't make any sense to wait until they graduate before transferring if that was the reason. Not saying he shouldn't have gotten more carries over them or anything like that, but I think the real reason is we have a QB / RB tandem that will be averaging 35+ carries per game and there just aren't that many more reps to go around. Has a lot more to do with the emergence of Fitz and Aeris than Shump and Holloway.

Bothrops
01-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Is Gibson one of the ones?

CadaverDawg
01-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Is Gibson one of the ones?

Well Coach said "2", then said Lee isn't one he's hearing...that leaves Gibson, Murphy, and Aeris. Lord help us if it's Aeris

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2017, 12:34 AM

So Bama could recruit every top Sophomore in the country and get them next year without having to sit?

If you do this, schools need to be able to protect players kind of like MLB does with a 40 man roster.

BB30
01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
From playing college baseball it was pretty normal in exit meetings for kids to pretty much be told you can stay but you probably won't get much playing time in a nice way. Part of it, you bring in so many kids and only a few will actually get quality PT. I am guessing this is a coaching decision but we will see. I have no problem with a kid transferring if he was told that he likely would not be getting on the field very much. Most of these kids will only have 3-4 years or less to play football and after that it is over, why sit on the bench for the next 2-3 years when you can go to a smaller school and get to play. Like I said if it was a coaching decision I completely understand the transferring. With Hill coming in some probably saw the writing on the wall. We did sign a bunch of RBs a couple of years ago so we can lose 1 and be alright.

thf24
01-05-2017, 10:14 AM
I miss Patrick Hanrahan and I have no idea why we stopped using FB/H-Back's after Sylvester Hemphill graduated. Dontavian Lee and Alec Murphy would be beasts as H-Back's.

Because that's not what Dan wants to do. He wants a minimum of 3 wide outside of extremely situational demands. Doesn't matter if fullback sets would be effective; not what he wants to do. We only ran the fullback/h-back stuff his first few years out of absolute necessity because we had barely any WR's who had any business setting foot on the field. Just another Stubborn Mullen thing.

msstate7
01-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Because that's not what Dan wants to do. He wants a minimum of 3 wide outside of extremely situational demands. Doesn't matter if fullback sets would be effective; not what he wants to do. We only ran the fullback/h-back stuff his first few years out of absolute necessity because we had barely any WR's who had any business setting foot on the field. Just another Stubborn Mullen thing.

We were running 2 TE sets in egg bowl

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Hill will see the field sooner. That's not a bad thing.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Why the hell would it be Aeris? Isnt it evident that he became "the guy" as the year ended? Why would he want to give that up?

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure of this either. Dan's a brilliant offensive mind ... so I kinda would like to see him get back to being brilliant which to me includes mixing it up well and utilizing your available talent. We never seem to be able to stretch the field vertically so I'm not sure why he doesn't throw some 2 back sets in there. He seems to be "stuck" coaching now like Kiffin does at Bama, but with far less talent at his disposal. Similar to Kiffin too, when it ain't working he just keeps doing it ... and without a world class D to bail him out. To Dan it's usually about "we have to execute better". Hate to tell him but when you're playing Bama or LSU, you're not gonna out execute them very often.

Would like to see him get much more unpredictable inside the opponent's 10 yd line. He's way too predictable IMO inside the 10.

tcdog70
01-05-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure of this either. Dan's a brilliant offensive mind ... so I kinda would like to see him get back to being brilliant which to me includes mixing it up well and utilizing your available talent. We never seem to be able to stretch the field vertically so I'm not sure why he doesn't throw some 2 back sets in there. He seems to be "stuck" coaching now like Kiffin does at Bama, but with far less talent at his disposal. Similar to Kiffin too, when it ain't working he just keeps doing it ... and without a world class D to bail him out. To Dan it's usually about "we have to execute better". Hate to tell him but when you're playing Bama or LSU, you're not gonna out execute them very often.

Would like to see him get much more unpredictable inside the opponent's 10 yd line. He's way too predictable IMO inside the 10.

see, I think Dan gets to "CUTE" inside the 10. With our QB and RB just line up and run the ball. Now there is different sets out which to run the ball. I like it when we are spread out and run it. The Heavy package only works when your OL gets bigtime push.

preachermatt83
01-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Havent heard 1 thing about him leaving

All I heard was that he had a mtg with Dan right before bowl. Don't know anything else. Could have been nothing to it.

dawgday166
01-05-2017, 12:52 PM
see, I think Dan gets to "CUTE" inside the 10. With our QB and RB just line up and run the ball. Now there is different sets out which to run the ball. I like it when we are spread out and run it. The Heavy package only works when your OL gets bigtime push.

I think he runs the QB draw too much down there. You can't run against Bama inside the 10. Seems like to me that is the bread and butter inside the 10. Can work against most teams with Dak or Fitz running it ... never will it work against Bama tho.

JoseBrown
01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Hill will see the field sooner. That's not a bad thing.

I've got a feeling Hill is expected to pick up the pass blocking quicker than normal. Probably makes at least one or two expendable...