PDA

View Full Version : Really Dislike The Mississippi Sports Talk Radio Structure

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Have been listening to the Mississippi sports talk radio shows today & just feel like they are missing the bulls eye.

Here is the business model of most MS sports talk radio shows:

- An MSU grad or Ole Miss grad that mutes their passion in an effort to be politically correct, & not offend the other side, advertisers, or lose their other job which is working for MSU or OM

Here is what I want:

- I wish more MS sport talk radio shows were like what I listen to on Bulldog Sports radio or what I'm sure is on Rebel Sports radio. Knowledgeable people that are passionate about MSU or OM sharing their opinions & shooting down the other side's talking points.

Head to Head was supposed to be like this, but then both of the hosts ended up getting hired by MSU & OM & therefore losing their ability to speak freely on the show.

Why can't we have a two host show that was hosted by people like Brandon Walker & Ben Garrett or Yancy & Jake Wimberly where both people could freely argue & call the other side out on stupid talking points?

If both a passionate OM guy & a passionate MSU guy were on the same show, wouldn't that appease advertisers on both sides?

I really like Bo Bounds' show &, due to the guests he gets & what I believe is a fairly sound, balanced perspective, I'm fine with his show staying the same. Just seems like there should be place in the daily schedule for a real, debate oriented, heated radio show that would bring something different to the market.

Just tired of the neutral, politically correct act. I want a politically incorrect show.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
C34 and bruiser

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
C34 and bruiser

Would be awesome. Just not sure why no one does this. Let's take the handcuffs off. Let people's passion show & stir real debates

This structure is already being utilized on TV with First Take & Undisputed

Really Clark?
01-04-2017, 06:19 PM
C34 and bruiser

Dear lord. Would anybody really want to hear an 1 1/2 hour long opening monologue Diatribe from Bruiser. The show would have to be 12 hours long just to get in 2 commercials to pay the bills.

smootness
01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
First Take and Undisputed are bad enough, and they aren't already biased on every single topic on the show. An entire radio show that was just a homer State fan and a homer OM fan bickering over the same thing every day sounds like utter torture.

AROB44
01-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Do you have a life outside this message board?

somebodyshotmypaw
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
I want a show where Will James talks about bunting for two hours.

BeastMan
01-04-2017, 09:30 PM
First off, you're wrong if you think advertisers give one iota of a shit about if the host is a MSU or OM guy. Advertisers care about exposure/ROI and if the show gets them that, they're good. People in this state are really wising up to the internet sport fan lunatic fringe. These crazy people on the spirit who boycott things regularly think they are making some big statement and its like when the baptist boycotted disney years back. The vast majority of Mississippians are normal, good people who have nothing in common with crazy people on message boards and twitter.

Now to your point about everyone being scared to offend one fan-base, you're absolutely right. Bo is the only local host that doesn't care if he pisses off MSU or OM people and he has the biggest show. Go figure.

I wish more MS sport talk radio shows were like what I listen to on Bulldog Sports radio or what I'm sure is on Rebel Sports radio. Knowledgeable people that are passionate about MSU or OM sharing their opinions & shooting down the other side's talking points.

Oh my god, I couldn't disagree more. Don't give me wrong, BSR and RSR have their place. I want all those guys to make a ton of money and have great success. Sometimes I want to hear Brandon Walker or Steve lay it down. Sometimes I listen to yancy on the spirit podcast because I want to hear his response to a happening. I get incredibly fatigued listening to fan-centric podcast, especially when they are sunshine and rainbows all the time. I can only listen to Steve jab OM, B&B guess stat lines, or Ben Garrett rant about how obsessed MSU is before I just can't handle it anymore and I take a break for a few weeks. It's just like politics. Republicans only watch Fox, not because its the best news, but because they want their bias confirmed. No different than Dems that watch MSNBC, MSU fans listening to BSR, or Reb fans on RSR.

I'm sure I'll get roasted for this but I don't give a shit. The best podcast in this state is the Oxford Exxon podcast. I wish there would be a MSU equivalent. The reason is that it's OM leaning but they talk NBA, NFL, MLB, and also off-topic. It gives me the rundown on OM news but then they keep me listening for the other stuff. Outside of the typical MSU/OM rivalry stuff were I'll disagree with Neal because I'm a state guy, I like his takes on other sports. Say what you want about Neal but he will go completely against the OM party line at times and some OM folks hate him for it. While I don't always agree, he's going to give you his opinion no matter who it pisses off. I respect that. I wish there was a MSU-centric pod that was well produced, covers my MSU news, calls out MSU when need be, doesn't sell 100% sunshine, and instead of breaking down how many rushing yards Dontavian Lee might have on homecoming, go off-topic and have some fun. Fire away.

Jarius
01-04-2017, 10:44 PM
This won't happen because the Ole Miss side Of this equation can't take anyone telling them that they are full of shit. That's why most of them won't go on the Bo Bounds show any more. He started stating the obvious about the NCAA deal and they all took their ball and went home. That type of show would be the best rated show in the State but Ole Miss media are pussies.

lamont
01-04-2017, 11:10 PM
a C34 radio show would be awesome.

Just think of the opinions and people seething to call in.
Interviews with national guys that actually included sports with X's and O's.
State people lining up to advertise
Comedy thrown in by local personalities
OM fans trying to call in to spin but they keep getting cut off

Would be insane ratings

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2017, 11:32 PM
a C34 radio show would be awesome.

Just think of the opinions and people seething to call in.
Interviews with national guys that actually included sports with X's and O's.
State people lining up to advertise
Comedy thrown in by local personalities
OM fans trying to call in to spin but they keep getting cut off

Would be insane ratings

Yup

PassInterference
01-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Sports talk radio around here is way too straight up. Content is way too narrow. It rarely strays from Egg Bowl or sports hot takes.

I can't take all sports all the time.

People who like sports have several other things in common. So how about sports centric but not sports gluttony.

StoneDawg
01-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Have been listening to the Mississippi sports talk radio shows today & just feel like they are missing the bulls eye.

Here is the business model of most MS sports talk radio shows:

- An MSU grad or Ole Miss grad that mutes their passion in an effort to be politically correct, & not offend the other side, advertisers, or lose their other job which is working for MSU or OM

Here is what I want:

- I wish more MS sport talk radio shows were like what I listen to on Bulldog Sports radio or what I'm sure is on Rebel Sports radio. Knowledgeable people that are passionate about MSU or OM sharing their opinions & shooting down the other side's talking points.

Head to Head was supposed to be like this, but then both of the hosts ended up getting hired by MSU & OM & therefore losing their ability to speak freely on the show.

Why can't we have a two host show that was hosted by people like Brandon Walker & Ben Garrett or Yancy & Jake Wimberly where both people could freely argue & call the other side out on stupid talking points?

If both a passionate OM guy & a passionate MSU guy were on the same show, wouldn't that appease advertisers on both sides?

I really like Bo Bounds' show &, due to the guests he gets & what I believe is a fairly sound, balanced perspective, I'm fine with his show staying the same. Just seems like there should be place in the daily schedule for a real, debate oriented, heated radio show that would bring something different to the market.

Just tired of the neutral, politically correct act. I want a politically incorrect show.

👍

msbulldog
01-05-2017, 07:37 AM
My ideal show would have the last 10 minutes, be silent except for the sounds of the blows being thrown.

BeastMan
01-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Sports talk radio around here is way too straight up. Content is way too narrow. It rarely strays from Egg Bowl or sports hot takes.

I can't take all sports all the time.

People who like sports have several other things in common. So how about sports centric but not sports gluttony.

Good points. Bo does some of that with food, drink, and travel. Another show that does a great job with that is the Geoff Calkins show. He mixes in cool Memphis stuff along with some fun off-topic. That's my biggest beef with fan-centric podcast. How much MSU-centric content can I get force fed before (a) I get bored or (b) it's overplayed junk.

I had a convo with someone talking about the big fan blogs (SB nation, FanSided, etc...) talking about how awful it would be to be an editor. Most of those sites require 50 articles a month or something like that. When you get to the point just putting out content to reach a quota, odds are there is a lot of trash in there.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
I would pay good money to listen to a show with B.Walker and Killaburger or Steve and Yancy.

RougeDawg
01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I would pay good money to listen to a show with B.Walker and Killaburger or Steve and Yancy.

Fancy could contribute his recruit reach around techniques.