PDA

View Full Version : For those that care, re: CFPCG

TUSK
01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
What's y'all take on:

1). Bammer's new, lighter weight front 7 vs Watson?
2). Potential outcomes with Sark in/Kiffin out?

I'll hang up and (mostly) listen...

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Hoping the lighter front 7 can contain Watson for the majority of the game.

No idea about the Sark/Kiffin thing. Not sure how much their styles as OC's compare/contrast from a play calling standpoint. Can't imagine Saban will allow much difference in play calling from what they've done this season. Besides, if there was a difference, you couldn't put it in - in 6 days.

My hope is that whatever plays are called that they're good ones that are executed well and y'all Roll on to a win Monday night.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2017, 02:12 AM
You Bama fans are spoiled pricks***

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 02:16 AM
1) The spread is why a lot of people are going to the 3-4. Trying to get faster and better athletes to run down those mobile QB's and hang with slot WR's and RB's. I know a lot of people on here don't like the 3-4 and I totally understand why and how the 4-3 is easier to play but I have noticed a LOT of teams running the 3-4 in college and or at least running some 3-4 fronts and packages.

2) I really don't think you will see much of a difference other than actual better play calling. I think Kiffen has a huge ego and it's like he wants to prove to everyone in the football world how smart he is when all he has to do is hand it off to Bo Scarbrough and save Alabama fans and MSU fans when they play Ole Miss heartburn. I think he has to learn that sometimes the most brilliant thing you can do is sometimes the most simple. I think Sarkisian is probably a better play caller because of that, but unfortunately for him he had some personal problems that essentially cost him his job in the past. I don't think he was fired necessarily because of his play calling and if he was I would think that it's possible that his addictions may have exacerbated those mistakes at times.

The fact of the matter is Kiffen and Sarkisian have been together for awhile and learned the same things under Norm Chow- who I wanted MSU to hire BADLY in 1995 after we fired Bruce Arians to go along with Joe Lee Dunn who we did actually hire- and they pretty much have the same offensive philosophy. I think it could be a disadvantage to Clemson in a way because they don't know how Sarkisian is going to use Alabama's personnel. Meanwhile Sarkisian has been around Alabama for a few months now and he knows what's going on. I haven't watched him as much as Kiffen in terms of play calling but my guess is he is probably going to be a little bit more conservative in a good way for Alabama. As soon as Alabama hired Sarkisian it was pretty obvious to me that they were getting ready for Kiffen to leave in some form or fashion which had been rumored for awhile.

Reason2succeed
01-04-2017, 06:43 AM
You Bama fans are spoiled pricks***

Screw Alabama! I hope Clemson mops the floor with those jerks. Somehow. Pricks wouldn't even shake hands before the Washington game...and those were the team CAPTAINS!!!

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2017, 06:46 AM
Buck Fama. I dont see how any MSU fan can think bama winning benefits MSU.

Edit: And dont say bowl money.

basedog
01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Pretty damn simple Tusk. We have so many with ideas on what is best when calling plays on offense to formations on defense. But the fact remains always the same, it's called execution. It's a good play when it's executed and bad when it isn't. Same on formations on defense.

I'm going with Bama, 24-13, makes no difference who is calling plays on offense and defense when Bama has the best talent and best HC who knows how to win the big games.

Gutter Cobreh
01-04-2017, 08:22 AM
What's y'all take on:

1). Bammer's new, lighter weight front 7 vs Watson?
2). Potential outcomes with Sark in/Kiffin out?

I'll hang up and (mostly) listen...

Shouldn't you be in the front yard acting like you're Hurts or Scarbrough with your nerf football, instead of posting on a message board?

That new Bama jersey isn't going to look worn unless you get outside and put a few grass stains on it before the big game....

All jokes aside, Bama wins two touchdowns. Doesn't matter if Paul Bryant Jr. is calling the plays, as dive right/left and sweep right/left should be all that is needed to score. Let Pruitt turn that nasty defense loose and it's game over!!!

msstate7
01-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Shouldn't you be in the front yard acting like you're Hurts or Scarbrough with your nerf football, instead of posting on a message board?

That new Bama jersey isn't going to look worn unless you get outside and put a few grass stains on it before the big game....

All jokes aside, Bama wins two touchdowns. Doesn't matter if Paul Bryant Jr. is calling the plays, as dive right/left and sweep right/left should be all that is needed to score. Let Pruitt turn that nasty defense loose and it's game over!!!

I don't know... OM had a lot of success vs bama bc of outstanding WRs. Clemson has better WRs and a better QB.

smootness
01-04-2017, 08:56 AM
I want Clemson to win, but barring a terrible game from Hurts (which is possible), Bama will roll. This Clemson team isn't as good as last year's.

Saltydog
01-04-2017, 09:03 AM
NT

Bama_Dawg
01-04-2017, 09:07 AM
1. Lighter front - Means Clemson will line up and run it straight at them. The lighter front may help contain Watson in the pocket, but I think it won't matter with the talent of the Clemson WRs.
2. Kif/Sark - No difference, may see more Bo, more often. That's about it. Bo will get his, but I don't think it will be near enough.

Tusk, I think you guys are in for a long night. If Bama does pull it out, it will be in a squeaker. I have a bad feeling, for you, that Bama may get blown off the field. Clemson can matchup talent and speed wise. Dabo will throw the kitchen sink at Saban, and I don't think Saban will have an answer.

Token Bammer
01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Screw Alabama! I hope Clemson mops the floor with those jerks. Somehow. Pricks wouldn't even shake hands before the Washington game...and those were the team CAPTAINS!!!

They shook hands before the toss. No need to hug it out again.

louisvilledawg
01-04-2017, 09:27 AM

They did shake hands before. They didn't after the coin toss. Calm down lol.

Hope alabama loses tusk, but I don't really care either way.

I don't think there will be a huge drop off from Kiffin, and I think the lightweight Alabama defense will be able to contain Watson. Mike Williams is scary good so if Humphrey is on him, could turn a few deep balls into touchdowns.

I do like watching Minkah Fitzpatrick and Ryan Anderson fwiw

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Saban probably wants to take the pressure off of Hurts some with more of a running attack. I tend to believe that under Kiffin Hurts was the feature. Saban probably wants Scarborough to be the feature. That's why all the ass-chewins and now Kiffin gone.

I tend to believe this game will play out similar to Bama-LSU ... but with more offense. This is the best all around team Bama has faced IMO. They just haven't faced a combination of offense (with a really good, mobile QB) and defense of this caliber all season long. I tend to think this is a 21 - 17 type game ... Bama will probably win similar to last year with the onsides kick. Clemson will make the key mistake or have the key mental lapse that decides the game.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:32 AM
1. Lighter front - Means Clemson will line up and run it straight at them. The lighter front may help contain Watson in the pocket, but I think it won't matter with the talent of the Clemson WRs.
2. Kif/Sark - No difference, may see more Bo, more often. That's about it. Bo will get his, but I don't think it will be near enough.

Tusk, I think you guys are in for a long night. If Bama does pull it out, it will be in a squeaker. I have a bad feeling, for you, that Bama may get blown off the field. Clemson can matchup talent and speed wise. Dabo will throw the kitchen sink at Saban, and I don't think Saban will have an answer.

I like the way you're thinking although I can't quite get there myself. Has Bama ever been "blown off the field" under Saban? Closest I'm guessing is OSU in '14. I wouldn't mind it too much, but can't quite get to feeling like that might happen.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 09:45 AM
I like the way you're thinking although I can't quite get there myself. Has Bama ever been "blown off the field" under Saban? Closest I'm guessing is OSU in '14. I wouldn't mind it too much, but can't quite get to feeling like that might happen.

OM did the 1st half this year... unfortunately for OM, there's 2 halves.

Think Oklahoma got em pretty good in sugar bowl

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:52 AM
OM did the 1st half this year... unfortunately for OM, there's 2 halves.

Think Oklahoma got em pretty good in sugar bowl

You right. So there may just be a glimmer of hope then * Nothin against our Bama brethren but I'm tired of watching Saban lift NC trophies.

smootness
01-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Not OSU, Oklahoma in 2013 was the closest they've come.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 10:00 AM

I wasn't really calling OSU a blow off the field performance, but just the one that popped into my head where it seemed the other team was just better. Forgot about Oklahoma. Seems like Utah did reasonable job too back in 2009.

msstate7
01-04-2017, 10:08 AM

Maybe not on the scoreboard, but Ohio state punished them. When's the last time a team ran for 281 on bama? There was no doubt who was the toughest team that night

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
I don't see how Sark can have any chemistry with Hurts since he's been a consultant and was "not to have contact with players". I know Bama has a ton of talent, but I think the chemistry matters with the OC and the QB, especially when it's a true freshman.

TUSK
01-04-2017, 11:55 AM

That's incorrect...

msstate7
01-04-2017, 11:56 AM
That's incorrect...

Yep... I dislike bama, but that's garbage

TUSK
01-04-2017, 12:02 PM

#FakeNews

I'll tell ya who I look forward to seeing play (in addition to Watson)... Gallman and #10 on defense... cats are beasts...

Boulware is who I was trying to recall...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18406477/clemson-tigers-lb-ben-boulware-says-grabbing-play-team-done-all-year-mess-players

Gutter Cobreh
01-04-2017, 12:15 PM
I don't know... OM had a lot of success vs bama bc of outstanding WRs. Clemson has better WRs and a better QB.

So which is it? When Ole Miss plays Bama well, we attribute it to them playing them early in the year. Now we're saying that it was because they had outstanding WRs....

Watson is as good of a college QB as you're going to find. He made throws last year that were mind boggling and his receiving core is better this year. That doesn't change the fact that Bama has one of if not the best defense college football has seen in a long time!!!!

See article below for those of you into advanced statistics and who want to compare years past:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/definite-answer-nick-sabans-best-alabama-defense/story?id=44531318

msstate7
01-04-2017, 12:21 PM
So which is it? When Ole Miss plays Bama well, we attribute it to them playing them early in the year. Now we're saying that it was because they had outstanding WRs....

Watson is as good of a college QB as you're going to find. He made throws last year that were mind boggling and his receiving core is better this year. That doesn't change the fact that Bama has one of if not the best defense college football has seen in a long time!!!!

See article below for those of you into advanced statistics and who want to compare years past:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/definite-answer-nick-sabans-best-alabama-defense/story?id=44531318

Om has a gunslinger at qb and not scared to throw into tight windows to let his really good wr's make plays. I think om plays bama well bc they aren't scared of bama and play loose. Most teams are beat before they even take the field... us included. Now I realize om has an advantage by playing bama early, but this Clemson team is so much better than om. Clemson can stop bama defensively. I think it's a close game and no way bama runs away with it

RocketDawg
01-04-2017, 06:13 PM

Well, from what I remember it's technically correct. A lot of them sorta fist-bumped instead of shaking hands. **

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Tusk, I say you better be able to run the ball effectively and not put it on you QB. Last stat I saw your QB's completion % was very poor when throwing 5+ yards. Also, run to play keep away from the Clemson O. If they get too many touches they will eventually score. Bo looked his best all year last time out so it's time to feed him and run the QB. On defense, y'all have been fine all year. Think you will be ok now. Think if y'all can control TOP by running the ball and hit a few big plays you win. Have too many three and outs and they get a lot of touches, you lose. Don't get behind early either, cause I don't think y'all want to air it out. This is all base on no turnovers for either team(very unlikely with y'alls D though)

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Tusk, I say you better be able to run the ball effectively and not put it on you QB. Last stat I saw your QB's completion % was very poor when throwing 5+ yards. Also, run to play keep away from the Clemson O. If they get too many touches they will eventually score. Bo looked his best all year last time out so it's time to feed him and run the QB. On defense, y'all have been fine all year. Think you will be ok now. Think if y'all can control TOP by running the ball and hit a few big plays you win. Have too many three and outs and they get a lot of touches, you lose. Don't get behind early either, cause I don't think y'all want to air it out. This is all base on no turnovers for either team(very unlikely with y'alls D though)

I figure this is main reason Kiffin was booted.

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 09:12 PM
I figure this is main reason Kiffin was booted.

He seems to get cute with play calling, kinda like another head coach we know.

dawgday166
01-04-2017, 09:16 PM
He seems to get cute with play calling, kinda like another head coach we know.

Ha! Yea, but the one we know won't get booted by the HC.

Reason2succeed
01-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Oh no! I am a victim of fake news from ESPN of all places.

Oh well. I still hate Alabama and hope they get run off the field.

SPMT
01-05-2017, 01:48 AM
1) The spread is why a lot of people are going to the 3-4. Trying to get faster and better athletes to run down those mobile QB's and hang with slot WR's and RB's. I know a lot of people on here don't like the 3-4 and I totally understand why and how the 4-3 is easier to play but I have noticed a LOT of teams running the 3-4 in college and or at least running some 3-4 fronts and packages.

2) I really don't think you will see much of a difference other than actual better play calling. I think Kiffen has a huge ego and it's like he wants to prove to everyone in the football world how smart he is when all he has to do is hand it off to Bo Scarbrough and save Alabama fans and MSU fans when they play Ole Miss heartburn. I think he has to learn that sometimes the most brilliant thing you can do is sometimes the most simple. I think Sarkisian is probably a better play caller because of that, but unfortunately for him he had some personal problems that essentially cost him his job in the past. I don't think he was fired necessarily because of his play calling and if he was I would think that it's possible that his addictions may have exacerbated those mistakes at times.

The fact of the matter is Kiffen and Sarkisian have been together for awhile and learned the same things under Norm Chow- who I wanted MSU to hire BADLY in 1995 after we fired Bruce Arians to go along with Joe Lee Dunn who we did actually hire- and they pretty much have the same offensive philosophy. I think it could be a disadvantage to Clemson in a way because they don't know how Sarkisian is going to use Alabama's personnel. Meanwhile Sarkisian has been around Alabama for a few months now and he knows what's going on. I haven't watched him as much as Kiffen in terms of play calling but my guess is he is probably going to be a little bit more conservative in a good way for Alabama. As soon as Alabama hired Sarkisian it was pretty obvious to me that they were getting ready for Kiffen to leave in some form or fashion which had been rumored for awhile.

They don't use a lot of 3-4. They may "base" out of it but they will run nickel a lot with 4 linemen.
Some run "bear" fronts versus running spread. We've all seen some run nickel variations with 3 linemen. This doesn't seem to work as well.