PDA

View Full Version : The Hump 17n sucks.

archdog
01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
NM.

Zildjan
01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
The next idiot that begs people to attend games will be reminded of this shit show.

archdog
01-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Can our fans do anything? No crap we are losing. You could here a mouse fart for 39 minutes of that game. I have been to church league games with a better crowd.

archdog
01-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Heck it was 60% empty. I arrived 25 minutes before tip off and got a parking spot on the offramp of hwy 12 right where it meets college view.

archdog
01-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Where are the fanatics? We should just make the games closed like a bowl practice.

Skydawg1
01-03-2017, 10:39 PM
NM.Thanks Loafers for hiring that shithead Rick EFFING Ray. What a catastrophe. I mean, damn. Croomesque hire. Even a guy who coached UffinCeffinLeffinA to two Final Fours is struggling with Alabama in year 2, with #5 recruiting class. Suck it RR

archdog
01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Worst atmosphere in any sport in the SEC = Hump
Thanks whomever hired Ray and changed the seating. Where are you Winsome Frazier?

LC Dawg
01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
My daughter is a 5th year senior at State and the football team has been to a bowl every year she's been there and the basketball team has sucked every year. It's all so backwards.
Seriously though, I hate she has missed out on experiencing the Hump when it was rocking.

Homedawg
01-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Thanks whomever hired Ray and changed the seating. Where are you Winsome Frazier?

Greg Byrne changed the seating. But most here thought he hung the moon. And actually that was a good decision, imho. Put a good product out there and we will attend. If not and we don't. Period.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Greg Byrne changed the seating. But most here thought he hung the moon. And actually that was a good decision, imho. Put a good product out there and we will attend. If not and we don't. Period.

He also scheduled Usm. Another horrible decision.

Homedawg
01-03-2017, 11:09 PM

So we can blame ray, bryne and Stricklin. Good....

Cooterpoot
01-03-2017, 11:12 PM
It's not about who screwed it up. All those sum beaches are gone. Who's going to fix it?

WPDawg
01-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Did you attend any games during the Bob Boyd years? Lucky if 2500 were there. You went because you loved basketball, loved MSU or it was a slow night. Did not change until RW found some success and then went in to high gear in 94/95. It was the place to be. Changing seating arrangements on long time supporters who followed whether team was good or bad was inevitable in the chase for the dollars but it soured a lot of people and spread them out in the rafters. It would be cool if the season ticket holders who can not make the game and have lower seating would call ticket office to reprint their tickets and allow their tickets to be redistributed to the ones who attend. might at least allow lower section to be full.

Steakonastick
01-03-2017, 11:13 PM
If you suck we won't come. Mullen's first year was the only time I have seen our fan base get behind a losing program. Heck the students have not packed their section in years and they get free tickets. I understand they were still gone tonight. Buts it's amazing we can't get 4K students to show up.

I remember skipping class to go sit outside the hump and day drink just to get a seat for a sec game.

Homedawg
01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Thanks Loafers for hiring that shithead Rick EFFING Ray. What a catastrophe. I mean, damn. Croomesque hire. Even a guy who coached UffinCeffinLeffinA to two Final Fours is struggling with Alabama in year 2, with #5 recruiting class. Suck it RR

So Rick ray is blamed for all 3 years of his sucking and 2 of howland's? How is that? Ray wasn't good. But he was dealt a terrible hand. Howland's was dealt the same hand. He gets more leeway based on pedigree and recruiting. However he's being helped by people that ray wasn't. Not equal. I'm not a ray guy. Don't care. He needed to go because we wouldn't and didn't support him. But howland needs to be held to the same standard. Which by me he needs 2 more years to fix it.

Bully13
01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
NM.

It is going to mirror our team's effort. Lack of talent is excusable to a point, lack of pride and hustle should NEVER be tolerated by the fans. This team deserves the atmosphere they played in tonight.

If they decide to start showing some give a shit, the loud crowds will return.

Skydawg1
01-03-2017, 11:26 PM
So Rick ray is blamed for all 3 years of his sucking and 2 of howland's? How is that? Ray wasn't good. But he was dealt a terrible hand. Howland's was dealt the same hand. He gets more leeway based on pedigree and recruiting. However he's being helped by people that ray wasn't. Not equal. I'm not a ray guy. Don't care. He needed to go because we wouldn't and didn't support him. But howland needs to be held to the same standard. Which by me he needs 2 more years to fix it.***deep breath*** Howland has one Senior (Glass Joe, RR recruit) and the rest are Freshman and Sophs. I am not bashing Howland, rather placing the blame on the previous regime. I think next year, and the years to come, will be awesome.

Homedawg
01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
***deep breath*** Howland has one Senior (Glass Joe, RR recruit) and the rest are Freshman and Sophs. I am not bashing Howland, rather placing the blame on the previous regime. I think next year, and the years to come, will be awesome.

And ...deep breath ray had who?? No ****ing body. So it's equal....

Skydawg1
01-04-2017, 12:04 AM
And ...deep breath ray had who?? No ****ing body. So it's equal....Ha! Sorry Mrs Ray! Your hub is awesome! ***peeping ray*** The fact that our worst player is a RR guy from Arkansas who UPIG never even sniffed should be enough to end your "argument". .....wait...are you still blaming Stansbury?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2017, 12:09 AM
NM.

We have to have one of the worst home crowds in the country. When the other team shooting free throws...nothing is going on behind the basket...the atmosphere is absolutely terrible. Something has to be done.

EngDawg
01-04-2017, 01:50 AM
So Rick ray is blamed for all 3 years of his sucking and 2 of howland's? How is that? Ray wasn't good. But he was dealt a terrible hand. Howland's was dealt the same hand. He gets more leeway based on pedigree and recruiting. However he's being helped by people that ray wasn't. Not equal. I'm not a ray guy. Don't care. He needed to go because we wouldn't and didn't support him. But howland needs to be held to the same standard. Which by me he needs 2 more years to fix it.

Under Ray I had no hope. From the moment he was hired it was obvious he was a caretaker until the bad karma of firing Stans had worn off. Howland to some extent was delt an even worse hand than Ray. We are essentially coming off a self imposed three year death penalty folks.

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 02:30 AM
The reality is for people to go back to the Hump they are going to have to win. I think they will at some point in the very near future- but until then the reality is no one wants to watch a product that is losing or is in transition as we are now. I think we are taking the proper steps to correct it but begging people to go to games on message boards is only going to have so much impact especially on a Tuesday night after a holiday weekend when a lot of people are likely going to have a hard time getting off of work to go to a game.

Todd4State
01-04-2017, 02:40 AM
He also scheduled Usm. Another horrible decision.

If his biggest mistake was scheduling a team we blew out twice including a 9 win team in Hattiesburg which relegated them to a distant third place in Mississippi football for awhile then he did very well. You forget how long USM fans held on to their 42-14 win over us in 1980 which created the illusion in their minds that they could still compete with the in state SEC teams and that there wasn't a gap there. Not to mention the "you're scared to play us in Hattiesburg". Well, we did and we conquered them. You haven't heard jack from their fans about 42-14 or how we won't play them since 2014 have you? I know some of our fans didn't like the decision because of the financial ramifications- but if we are going around proclaiming "This is OUR State" and the only teams we're playing are Ole Miss, JSU, and Alcorn it would look like we were scared. Playing them was a necessary evil to get us to a larger means.

Which is how I also view losing the 2014 and 2015 Egg Bowl losses which were a byproduct of excessive Ole Miss cheating which ultimately will lead to the destruction of their program overall and at the same time elevating ours as the best program in the state without question. We're already starting to see some of the fallout from Dan's work when you read Ole Miss's top commit who grew up an Ole Miss fan seriously considering flipping to us "because MSU has a better chance of getting me to the NFL."

EAVdog
01-04-2017, 09:06 AM
The HUMP is being pre-planned right now for a major renovation. Frankly the experience, winning or losing, is out dated. There are no premium: amenities, seating, dining, etc... You have to leave the seating bowl to get to the concourse. Everything about it is out dated. Luckily they did hire AECOM to do the work, who is the premier basketball designers in the country.

Until it is revamped people aren't going to come back unless we're 96' level good. You have to give someone a better experience than they can get from their comfy couch and widescreen tv.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
01-04-2017, 09:22 AM
The whole show is not like it use to be in the late 90's and early 2000's.. Need to go back to the old days of pregame festivities. Right now everything about the humps atmosphere is lacking badly!!!

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2017, 09:26 AM
First and foremost the students are not back on campus. The crowds always suck atmosphere wise when they are gone even if we are winning. That's not something new. Second, it's going to take winning. Even though we had been winning most of the patsy games it was quite obvious to old basketball hands that this team isn't anywhere close to being there yet. Third, the reaseating DID break up the non-student atmosphere. There were people who sat on their hands as there always will be back in the day, but there were pockets of people who kind of led the crowd. They sat in the same seats year after year and knew what the people around them would tolerate. Those folks, even if they are still there, got broken up and taken out of their comfort zone. It happens again every year now. It's hard to get up and yell when those around you don't. Forth, unfortunately the students don't really know how to act at basketball games now. During the Ray years that edge that the Hump student section had developed over a long period of time was lost. The ones that were around during the good/decent times graduated and nobody replaced them. I've said this before but we basically destroyed the basketball program, and I'm not talking about just went on on the court. You can make good arguements on both sides of that. Combine that with what we did off the court and hiring Ray (last resort or by choice, again good argument) and we essentially started over from scratch when we hired Howland. That's the way you have to look at it, our men's basketball program is in it's second year.

tcdog70
01-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Did you attend any games during the Bob Boyd years? Lucky if 2500 were there. You went because you loved basketball, loved MSU or it was a slow night. Did not change until RW found some success and then went in to high gear in 94/95. It was the place to be. Changing seating arrangements on long time supporters who followed whether team was good or bad was inevitable in the chase for the dollars but it soured a lot of people and spread them out in the rafters. It would be cool if the season ticket holders who can not make the game and have lower seating would call ticket office to reprint their tickets and allow their tickets to be redistributed to the ones who attend. might at least allow lower section to be full.

I've been going since Kermit Davis and SEC games have always been attended well. And last night night be the worst Bama Home game attendance in our History. But they ran off the real basketball fans and gave their tickets to empty seats. The students being moved was also stupid. Plus you can sit on the couch and watch every game.

BB30
01-04-2017, 09:34 AM
I've been going since Kermit Davis and SEC games have always been attended well. And last night night be the worst Bama Home game attendance in our History. But they ran off the real basketball fans and gave their tickets to empty seats. The students being moved was also stupid. Plus you can sit on the couch and watch every game.

Yea, the sitting on the couch and watching every game plays a pretty good role especially when the team is not playing well. Once the students are back they will be packed at most of the bigger games I would guess.

shannondawg
01-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Anyone with any sense would know that this year would be a learning experience and that we should be patient, support the team they will get better after each and every game.

archdog
01-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Yea, the sitting on the couch and watching every game plays a pretty good role especially when the team is not playing well. Once the students are back they will be packed at most of the bigger games I would guess.

The students should be moved to the sideline lower bowl, I would prefer behind the benches so you can see them on t.v. but it may be an issue with fighting with their teams bench. So maybe stop it right before you get to their bench.
They need to start a new "Rick's Rowdies" type of group. If they exist already, well they are doing a shitty job because I haven't even seen or heard them.
At the 12 minute mark of the 1st half, if you sit in the upper section you can move to the lower bowl. If you are late...too bad.
The band should play more often.
They stopped doing the drum beats after free throws...
They should do the new drum chant more often during the game and during all timeouts.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2017, 10:20 AM
The students should be moved to the sideline lower bowl, I would prefer behind the benches so you can see them on t.v. but it may be an issue with fighting with their teams bench. So maybe stop it right before you get to their bench.
They need to start a new "Rick's Rowdies" type of group. If they exist already, well they are doing a shitty job because I haven't even seen or heard them.
At the 12 minute mark of the 1st half, if you sit in the upper section you can move to the lower bowl. If you are late...too bad.
They should do the new drum chant more often during the game and during all timeouts.

You can't put the students behind the opponents bench in any sport. That's an SEC rule. I've always heard it was due to a Florida student peeing in an opponents water bucket.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 12:20 PM
College basketball attendance and atmosphere is suffering all over the country. I just read an article that said North Carolina and UCLA are having big issues with empty seats and dead atmosphere's.

Duke's is still awesome of course but they give the students one entire side of the court and the seats behind both baskets.

shannondawg
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
If we winning, it doesn't make any 17ing difference where the students sit. Thats beating a dead horse till it stinks.

And I might add this: Who on here would want the job of fund raising with the pitch it doesn't matter how much you give or not as to where you will be seated or parking lots?

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 01:24 PM
If we winning, it doesn't make any 17ing difference where the students sit. Thats beating a dead horse till it stinks.

And I might add this: Who on here would want the job of fund raising with the pitch it doesn't matter how much you give or not as to where you will be seated or parking lots?

Obviously, your point is a wrong one. Tell DUKE it doesn't matter where the students sit. Forget Duke, you must not have attended games at the Hump when the students were mid-court.

As for fund-raising, basketball isn't a huge cash cow anyway, but there would still be courtside seats + another 4 sections to sell to the big donors who don't attend.

EAVdog
01-04-2017, 02:42 PM

The only way to raise money, and make money for projects like these is to have product to sell. You need premium areas.

At Clemson AECOM tore out some of the seating bowl from within, reoriented the court, and created seating that goes all the way to the court level behind both goals. Also carved out space along the side line for a premium club area. Something like this has to happen at the HUMP or you will never get folks back in. Or raise money. Nobody is going to rush out to go sit in a dark, uncomfortable, concrete seating bowl from the 60's.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/24/Facilities/Clemson-Littlejohn-Coliseum-renovation.aspx?

smootness
01-04-2017, 02:49 PM
No, our fans suck.

shannondawg
01-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Obviously, your point is a wrong one. Tell DUKE it doesn't matter where the students sit. Forget Duke, you must not have attended games at the Hump when the students were mid-court.

As for fund-raising, basketball isn't a huge cash cow anyway, but there would still be courtside seats + another 4 sections to sell to the big donors who don't attend.

Yes I have, just cause you got hoops in your name doesn't qualify as an expert on seating. Ive seen the students just as loud where they are sitting now, if anything that governs that is the product on the floor and how they are playing.

Without those donors, we wouldn't have the Mize. Thats a pretty good size of beef right there.

Another point is the donors don't specify what sport , One's donation to the bulldog club determines their ranking and seat selection for baseball, football and basketball.

Or are you just saying thats its ok to have seat priority for football and baseball but not basketball??

Kinda tells me you got your favorite seats taken away.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Yes I have, just cause you got hoops in your name doesn't qualify as an expert on seating. Ive seen the students just as loud where they are sitting now, if anything that governs that is the product on the floor and how they are playing.

Without those donors, we wouldn't have the Mize. Thats a pretty good size of beef right there.

Another point is the donors don't specify what sport , One's donation to the bulldog club determines their ranking and seat selection for baseball, football and basketball.

Or are you just saying thats its ok to have seat priority for football and baseball but not basketball??

Kinda tells me you got your favorite seats taken away.

I'm 2nd row, lower level. I'm only telling you 2 things: Where the students sit does indeed effect the atmosphere, and there are plenty of seats available to the big money donors.

shannondawg
01-04-2017, 03:49 PM
You use Duke for an example, what about Kentucky, the students are behind the goal and have to stand as there are no seats in their section, and the section is pretty small.

Bdawg
01-04-2017, 04:17 PM

Took my whole family to the game last night and there were empty seats scattered all throughout the lower bowl. Had my eye on a whole row of seats that was five rows up behind the benches. About 3 mins till half, took all the kids to get food and drink and go to the bathroom to be ready to move to the lower level at halftime. When the halftime buzzer sounded I asked the lady could we move to the lower seats and she said not during SEC games. Had to go back to my upper level, and sit there and wonder why in the hell would you not want everyone to move down closer to the court for the 2nd half to help create a better home court advantage. If fans haven't shown up by the 2nd half, they AINT coming. But if they do, I would be more than happy to move and I would hope they would understand if I was in their seats and not be mad.

As far as the game goes, we shot like crap, rebounded like crap, and are soft as hell down low.

As far as officiating, if this is the new norm, I will not be back for a while. I don't know if they have been instructed to call that way but they ruined any flow the game might have had. It felt like the refs decided we were there to watch them instead of the game(I thought Leslie Neilson showed up there for a min to do a basketball game for a new Naked Gun movie).

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2017, 04:25 PM
The big mistake with the student section was splitting it. That has been corrected.