PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read: The Perfect Pass

Count Istvan Teleky
01-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't have known about this book except that someone gave it to me. it's the story of Hal Mumme and how the "Air Raid" offense came into being.

It talks about the influencers at the time (Walsh, Dennis Erickson, Lavell Edwards, etc.) and their offenses (West Coast, Run & Shoot, etc.) and how Mumme and Mike Leach came up with the schemes. It covers Mumme from his first job out of college through his current stint at Belhaven. (Little known fact: He lives in the King Edward Hotel in Jackson.)

The writer doesn't do a hatchet job at all, but leaves something to the imagination as to why Mumme was dismissed at his first head coaching gig, Iowa Wesleyan, in spite of stellar on-the-field performance. it doesn't sugar-coat the problems he had at Kentucky with the NCAA, either.

One of the most interesting parts to me was the simplicity of the offense. No play book; roughly four-six plays; roughly two-four sets; practices were one-hour and forty-five minutes. No hitting. The key to the offense was the QB/receiver reading the defender and adjusting accordingly. It lays out the progression that the QB went through. The defensive coordinators apparently never completely figured it out.

A previous post on this board (By Todd4State) mentions that one of the top ten games he saw was the 1999 MSU - UK game that matched the wits of Joe Lee Dunn with Hal Mumme. For those who weren't there or haven't read that post, the game opened with Kentucky in possession and JLD lined up with one DL and ten DBs. It was that extreme.

My main visual from that game was Ed Smith chasing their TE Whalen (who the book identifies as a walk-on initially - could have fooled me) all over the field. The guy must've caught ten passes just past the line of scrimmage (after reading the book, you know the play was called 'mesh') with Ed on his heels, but Ed made the tackles and kept them from getting big gains.

Anyway, back to the book, it's an easy read, interesting from the football perspective as well as the personal side.

Other little known facts:
* Leach was a volunteer for the first several years of working with Hal
* Leach went to law school
* Dana Holgerson played for and coached under Mumme
* QBs called their own plays so they could get more snaps in a game.
* If I had to say who appears to have been the biggest influence for Mumme, I'd have to say Lavell Edwards
* Also, Mumme has a radio show in Jackson, that if you haven't listened to, you might want to. Sometimes they even talk about football!

PS - The author is S. C. Gwynne

jbjones
01-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the summary. I'll have to check that out. You will find similar material in Leach's book, "Swing Your Sword". It's a pretty good account of his life and coaching. I enjoyed it, but I'm a Leach fan of sorts. You just have to laugh at a guy that weird sometimes.

He does talk a good bit about his time with Hal and what they did together. I believe they were at Valdosta State early on where a lot of this was being developed.

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
That 1999 game was incredible. I need to find the whole game on Youtube and actually watch it - I've only seen highlights. That year was the year I had to give up my season tickets after my first kid was born and travel was just too much. I was pissed all season. The evening of the Kentucky game (thursday), I drove from Atlanta to outside Ellijay, GA to go to a friend's deer camp for our annual weekend. Somehow, we could pick up Jack's feed on a Tupelo station if we kept the radio outside the cabin. So I sat around a campfire with a bunch of UGA fans - most of whom had never heard Jack call a game. They loved his descriptions and were impressed that Jack "was almost as good as Larry". Nobody could believe Westerfield hit that FG to give us the lead. Great night of drinking and football.

Dallas_Dawg
01-03-2017, 02:45 PM
I remember that game. I would have guessed James Whalen caught 20 balls that night

shrimp
01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Swing Your Sword is a great book. This new Mumme book sounds similar. Will have to check it out.

Thanks for the summary. I'll have to check that out. You will find similar material in Leach's book, "Swing Your Sword". It's a pretty good account of his life and coaching. I enjoyed it, but I'm a Leach fan of sorts. You just have to laugh at a guy that weird sometimes.

He does talk a good bit about his time with Hal and what they did together. I believe they were at Valdosta State early on where a lot of this was being developed.

cujo
01-03-2017, 06:51 PM
pretty cool concepts