PDA

View Full Version : Tim Beck

Todd4State
01-03-2017, 12:15 PM
I saw where Ohio State hired the 49ers QB coach today and from checking up on things I found out that Tim Beck their old QB coach left to pursue other opportunities. Are we likely one of those opportunities? Thoughts? It sounds like he was fired but his resume is better than Brett Elliott's in my opinion.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2017, 12:17 PM
From Wiki —

On January 3, 2017, it was announced that Beck would be leaving to take over as the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach for Texas and new head coach Tom Herman. He will be assuming the play-calling duties, which he hadn't done in the previous season at Ohio State.

Todd4State
01-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Well at least that was written today and not something I just flat out missed from two months ago!

KB21
01-03-2017, 12:36 PM
The QB coach position at Mississippi State will always likely be a younger guy who is considered an up and coming guy that Dan can take under his wing and teach him the spread system the way he runs it. Brett has an advantage here because he played for Mullen and has been a GA at Mississippi State.

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/former_linfield_qb_brett_ellio.html

Smith didn't have a full-time position available at Linfield when it appeared his playing days were ending. So Elliott tapped another source, calling Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen -- his quarterback coach at Utah -- to talk possibilities.

On a drive one day in 2011 from Dallas to Atlanta, where Elliott was preparing for his final Arena season, he spent the night at Mullen's house in Starkville, Miss. Mullen told him he had a graduate's assistant position open.

It was Elliott's foot in the door.

Elliott spent three years at MSU, the final 18 months as the Bulldogs' offensive quality control coach. It's an unpretentious, grinder position that has more to do with video and metrics than on-field coaching. But spending three years in the Southeastern Conference convinced Elliott coaching is what he wanted to do for his future.

"It's a big-time commitment, but the rewards are huge. Those wins are pretty sweet. Once you taste that sweet taste of victory in the SEC, it's kind of like a drug," Elliott said.

Elliott left an impression as well.

"He's a very sharp and up-and-coming coach," Mullen told Sports Illustrated of Elliott earlier this season. "He will be a hot name in coaching soon. He paid his dues the right way, worked hard and is taking advantage of his opportunity."

MaxedOutMaroon
01-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I still think we should have promoted Brian. Hope we can make up for it.