PDA

View Full Version : Few of you cats will remember this letter...

TUSK
01-03-2017, 02:03 AM
But I thought given the dominance of B1G Football this year, it was worth a 10 year bump...

Greetings from the Big Ten Conference,

With the conclusion of another tremendous college football season and the recent national signing day, there has been a lot written and said about the Big Ten's recruiting efforts across the country, including a recent article in the Chicago Sun-Times entitled "Big Ten needs to find new talent pool - fast" (see full article here). In response to these commentaries, it seems premature for us to lower our admission standards or give up on the tremendous talent pool in the Midwest. No doubt national programs must recruit nationally wherever the talented students and athletes live. Hats off to Florida and the SEC -- they had a great year. We believe that both the Big Ten and the SEC have been and remain two of the greatest college football conferences in the country. But you may want to keep in mind the following as you review the various recruiting services, listen to talking heads and reflect the blogosphere out there as they compare these two fine conferences. I think most people would agree that head-to-head competition is an effective method to compare relative strengths between competitive entities:

The Big Ten was 2-1 vs. the SEC in this past season's bowl games.
The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years
The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.
Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances.
In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.
In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman.
While the SEC ranked first among various recruiting rankings, the Big Ten ranked second or third nationally with four to five programs rated among the top 25 recruiting classes.
The Big Ten has a history of developing players - the most recent Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith, was one of the last players to receive a scholarship from Ohio State.
The Big Ten has slightly less than 300 players in the NFL while the SEC has slightly more than 300; Sixteen former Big Ten players earned Super Bowl rings with the Indianapolis Colts earlier this month.
I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Let's see if the five- and 10-year trend lines hold or whether the recruiting services and talking heads are seeing a new day. We are quite proud of our history and tradition and remain optimistic about the future of Big Ten football.

Thanks.

Jim Delany

Activated Alpha
01-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Hey now, don't knock my wolverines. They might have lost the Orange bowl, but it was a solid year. I expect great years down the road.

msbulldog
01-03-2017, 07:19 AM
17 Jim Delaney.

Reason2succeed
01-03-2017, 07:50 AM
In Jim Delaney's defense there are some schools in the SEC (OM) that will let anyone in school if they play football (Powe).

As far as athletics the B1G will always be inferior to southern teams that why they fight so hard to preserve the "tradition of the Rose Bowl" which is basically a tradition of keeping southern teams that would kick their butts out of the game.

msstate7
01-03-2017, 08:42 AM
No way to spin it for the big10, it was a bad postseason. I do think they have 2 teams that will be big time contender next season.

Penn state has 4 senior starters and only 7 on their 2-deep. They start 3 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and 1 senior (center) on the oline. McSorley and Barkley are sophomores. They'll add a recruiting class ~ 10-14th in the country.

Ohio state has 1 senior starter (center) and 4 seniors on their 2-deep. On defense, they have zero senior starters and only 1 on the 2-deep. Their defense is gonna be bama-level next season. Their recruiting class is sick. They're currently ranked #2 behind bama, but only by 10.28 points despite having 9 less recruits. They have 6 5*s and the avg recruit is 95.72. I looked back to '10 and the best avg is 93.64 by bama in '15. Ohio state will be handful next season

Reason2succeed
01-03-2017, 09:12 AM
No way to spin it for the big10, it was a bad postseason. I do think they have 2 teams that will be big time contender next season.

Penn state has 4 senior starters and only 7 on their 2-deep. They start 3 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and 1 senior (center) on the oline. McSorley and Barkley are sophomores. They'll add a recruiting class ~ 10-14th in the country.

Ohio state has 1 senior starter (center) and 4 seniors on their 2-deep. On defense, they have zero senior starters and only 1 on the 2-deep. Their defense is gonna be bama-level next season. Their recruiting class is sick. They're currently ranked #2 behind bama, but only by 10.28 points despite having 9 less recruits. They have 6 5*s and the avg recruit is 95.72. I looked back to '10 and the best avg is 93.64 by bama in '15. Ohio state will be handful next season

That's what the four letter network tells us every year. "The B1G is going to be loaded with title contenders next year!"***

Jack Lambert
01-03-2017, 10:23 AM

So what your saying is the guys who got rolled by Clemson will get better?

msstate7
01-03-2017, 10:33 AM
So what your saying is the guys who got rolled by Clemson will get better?

Yes, they return pretty much everyone and have one of the best classes in a long time. Read somewhere Ohio state was the youngest team in the country... not sure if that's true, but they are very young. Defense will be loaded. They'll have almost all the defense back that was 3rd nationally this year

archdog
01-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Yes, they return pretty much everyone and have one of the best classes in a long time. Read somewhere Ohio state was the youngest team in the country... not sure if that's true, but they are very young. Defense will be loaded. They'll have almost all the defense back that was 3rd nationally this year

Dan said we were the youngest.

msstate7
01-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Dan said we were the youngest.

Then Ohio st must have been 2nd youngest**