PDA

View Full Version : 1 month until signing day...

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 04:01 PM
We already have 13 players either signed or enrolled.

So we only have 9 commits right now. Probably have about 8 spots open if we can find 8.

Anybody have a list of Top 15 or so realistic targets? We need to sign a kicker. We need a playmaker at WR. We need at least 1 more OL and DL, I would prefer 2 OL. I would like to see us add another DB and of course LB. Probably need a QB.

The way I see it:
1. Willie Gay, LB
2. DD Bowie, WR
3. Bulovas, K
4. Josh Cooper, OL likely sign and place
5. Jordan Tucker, OL
6. Noah Elliss, DL
7. Willie Rodgers, DE
8. Braylon Sanders, WR
9. Naytron Culpepper, DB
10. Racey McMath, WR-appears to be a major longshot now.

Maybe IYOK can fill in the blanks.

msstate7
01-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Clyde no chance now?

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Clyde no chance now?

You can add him to the targets list, but no real chance.

klong-dog
01-02-2017, 04:15 PM
DD Lewis is making a come back. This time on the offensive side of the ball. Hope he comes back to his roots.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 04:16 PM
DD Lewis is making a come back. This time on the offensive side of the ball. Hope he comes back to his roots.

Haha, I wish. Showing my age. I made the edit.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 04:18 PM
I will also say, with so few commits, we should really be able to hone in on the uncommitted guys and outwork some other schools. Maybe we can identify a few guys committed elsewhere and work on a flip. Key Thompson needs O-linemen that will be ready in 2019 and 2020. Now is the time to sign them.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 04:24 PM
QB - Jacob Free
Jalen Gibson
QB from Niceville, FL name escapes me

RB - Clyde Edwards-Helaire

WR - Racey McMath
Braylon Sanders
Xavier Jenkins
Octavious Evans
DD Bowie

OL - Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Toryque Bateman
Josh Cooper
Samir Martula

DL - Noah Elliss
Will Rodgers
George Ellis
Labryan Ray

LB - Willie Gay
Christian Elliss

DB - Naytron Culpepper
Dorian Hall
Schdarren Archie
Evan Fields

K - Joseph Bulovas

I'm sure I missed some names

msstate7
01-02-2017, 04:25 PM
I will also say, with so few commits, we should really be able to hone in on the uncommitted guys and outwork some other schools. Maybe we can identify a few guys committed elsewhere and work on a flip. Key Thompson needs O-linemen that will be ready in 2019 and 2020. Now is the time to sign them.

No chance on Toryque Bateman? I saw Samir martula will visit

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
No chance on Toryque Bateman? I saw Samir martula will visit

Not from what I've heard. Martula is another interior guy. Not sure if he is a take.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Our inability to land WRs is mind boggling.

It's as if all the best WRs in America have colluded and decided that no one should go to MSU where they have a good QB play & a quality system.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 04:39 PM

It's as if all the best WRs in America have colluded and decided that no one should go to MSU where they have a good QB play & a quality system.

If we land Bowie to go along with Hunt and Austin Williams we did well. We also have Malik Heath committed for 2018 and I believe he has a chance to be special. We need to get either a TE or another outside WR next class depending on how Austin Williams fills out.

PlattsburgDawg
01-02-2017, 04:45 PM
QB - Jacob Free
Jalen Gibson

WR - Racey McMath
Braylon Sanders
Xavier Jenkins
Octavious Evans
DD Bowie

OL - Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Toryque Bateman
Josh Cooper
Samir Martula

DL - Noah Elliss
Will Rodgers
George Ellis
Labryan Ray

LB - Willie Gay
Christian Elliss

DB - Naytron Culpepper
Dorian Hall
Schdarren Archie
Evan Fields

K - Joseph Bulovas

Jeff Toney is the other quarterback we are looking at.

lamont
01-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I like Free's arm but not sure he is mobile enough

But we need another Qb I guess- so have to sacrifice something to get a decent player

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2017, 05:12 PM
i wish we would offer Amik Robertson db from south La. he is a La Tech commit,kid is a good football playerhttp://247sports.com/Player/Amik-Robertson-82032

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Jeff Toney? 6'6 223 looks to have a strong arm & mobility

Coursesuper
01-02-2017, 05:26 PM
If we land Bowie to go along with Hunt and Austin Williams we did well. We also have Malik Heath committed for 2018 and I believe he has a chance to be special. We need to get either a TE or another outside WR next class depending on how Austin Williams fills out.

I've seen Williams play, moves fluidly great hands but he's a Gus Wally type player not an outside guy.

GTHOM
01-02-2017, 05:28 PM
QB - Jacob Free
Jalen Gibson

WR - Racey McMath
Braylon Sanders
Xavier Jenkins
Octavious Evans
DD Bowie

OL - Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Toryque Bateman
Josh Cooper
Samir Martula

DL - Noah Elliss
Will Rodgers
George Ellis
Labryan Ray

LB - Willie Gay
Christian Elliss

DB - Naytron Culpepper
Dorian Hall
Schdarren Archie
Evan Fields

K - Joseph Bulovas

Schdarren would commit tomorrow if we offered

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Can we wait to see who we end up with before we complain.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Jeff Toney is the other quarterback we are looking at.

Thanks I was drawing a blank.

Reason2succeed
01-02-2017, 05:35 PM

No, they're chomping at the bit.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 05:37 PM

Deal

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Although it was late, I think Todd, Mitchell and Couch will be good within the next year or two

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Deal

If we strike out I'll help you complain about it.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 05:51 PM
i wish we would offer Amik Robertson db from south La. he is a La Tech commit,kid is a good football playerhttp://247sports.com/Player/Amik-Robertson-82032

Prefer Archie.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Although it was late, I think Todd, Mitchell and Couch will be good within the next year or two

That's the real problem- there is a gap between the guys that have good high end potential and the current upperclassmen. I pray that Couch and Todd have huge gains between now and the start of next season.

maroonmania
01-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Just seems like a really weird recruiting year to have so few high profile targets heading into the normal HS signing day. Willie Gay is about the only highly recruited guy left that we seem to feel pretty good about.

DanDority
01-02-2017, 06:03 PM
QB - Jacob Free
Jalen Gibson

WR - Racey McMath
Braylon Sanders
Xavier Jenkins
Octavious Evans
DD Bowie

OL - Jordan Tucker
Jordan Rhodes
Toryque Bateman
Josh Cooper
Samir Martula

DL - Noah Elliss
Will Rodgers
George Ellis
Labryan Ray

LB - Willie Gay
Christian Elliss

DB - Naytron Culpepper
Dorian Hall
Schdarren Archie
Evan Fields

K - Joseph Bulovas

Is this a list of players that you "hope" we get or what?

CadaverDawg
01-02-2017, 06:03 PM
You would think Keytaon Thompson, Kylin Hill, etc would be recruiting the shit out of some WR's, considering every piece we add will make their lives greater at MSU.

You would think a talented WR would look highly at our future roster and depth chart, and see a potentially easy path to playing time & success. If De'Runnya could become a good SEC receiver, and Ross could step in and contribute early and set records at State...imagine what a 5 star WR could do here. Especially when you know our run game will make getting open easier. I really expect the Dak, Ross, etc factor to start effecting our WR recruiting soon.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 06:09 PM
You would think Keytaon Thompson, Kylin Hill, etc would be recruiting the shit out of some WR's, considering every piece we add will make their lives greater at MSU.

You would think a talented WR would look highly at our future roster and depth chart, and see a potentially easy path to playing time & success. If De'Runnya could become a good SEC receiver, and Ross could step in and contribute early and set records at State...imagine what a 5 star WR could do here. Especially when you know our run game will make getting open easier. I really expect the Dak, Ross, etc factor to start effecting our WR recruiting soon.

Good post.

Yeah, my thinking is similar to you. I'll wait to see what we end up with, but it's just surprising we don't more interest.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 06:11 PM

They are

CadaverDawg
01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
They are

Good to hear

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Prefer Archie.

nothing against the Archie kid but he ain't close to Robertson ,we need athletes and this kid is a damn good one.Don't let his height fool you.La.highschool football is head and shoulders above Ms,we need to recruit the hell out of La.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:22 PM

One of Key's teammates is a top 2018 prospect at WR. No idea if we land him but I want him.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:25 PM
nothing against the Archie kid but he ain't close to Robertson ,we need athletes and this kid is a damn good one.Don't let his height fool you.La.highschool football is head and shoulders above Ms,we need to recruit the hell out of La.

Yeah. That's why Madison Central played even with West Monroe every year.

I want Archie because I think he projects at corner. Let me guess you are going to compare that guy to Mathieu? Exceptions are rarely the rule especially when it comes to MSU football.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Just seems like a really weird recruiting year to have so few high profile targets heading into the normal HS signing day. Willie Gay is about the only highly recruited guy left that we seem to feel pretty good about.

I wouldn't be surprised if we undersign this year. Not saying that we will just that I won't be surprised if we do.

civildawg
01-02-2017, 06:32 PM
LSU fans are wanting to sign Robertson as well. Kid must be pretty good, just undersized

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Yeah. That's why Madison Central played even with West Monroe every year.

I want Archie because I think he projects at corner. Let me guess you are going to compare that guy to Mathieu? Exceptions are rarely the rule especially when it comes to MSU football.

No i ain't comparing him to anybody,just saying he is a better football player than Archie.I dont care what Madision does 1 game a year, ms aint close to la hs football,ask any coach you want to,he will tell you the same

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we undersign this year. Not saying that we will just that I won't be surprised if we do.

Seems like we under sign every year.

Is this right? or do we want open spots for early JUCO enrollees?

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 06:35 PM
No i ain't comparing him to anybody,just saying he is a better football player than Archie.I dont care what Madision does 1 game a year, ms aint close to la hs football,ask any coach you want to,he will tell you the same

Agree

I think the top teams in MS can compete with the top teams anywhere else. I think the average team in Louisiana is far better than in Mississippi.

I doubt Keytaon Thompson faced many JPS caliber teams this year.

maroonmania
01-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Good to hear

Maybe so, but other than Bowie, just not much left out there at WR that is really rated much better than what we already have with Williams and Hunt that we seem to have a legitimate shot at. Sanders looks to be the best of the bunch IYOK listed after Bowie but right now he is shown as a heavy prediction to Georgia and is from Georgia.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Agree

I think the top teams in MS can compete with the top teams anywhere else. I think the average team in Louisiana is far better than in Mississippi.

Key beat West Monroe who tied Madison Central this year. Madison Central is a top ten in Mississippi but not dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

I think they are closer in general than most people realize.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Seems like we under sign every year.

Is this right? or do we want open spots for early JUCO enrollees?

I don't think it's intentional. Not sure how much it happens. Our scholarship and roster numbers are messed up though.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:45 PM
LSU fans are wanting to sign Robertson as well. Kid must be pretty good, just undersized
Great. We probably will have room for both Archie and this guy as well.

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Maybe so, but other than Bowie, just not much left out there at WR that is really rated much better than what we already have with Williams and Hunt that we seem to have a legitimate shot at. Sanders looks to be the best of the bunch IYOK listed after Bowie but right now he is shown as a heavy prediction to Georgia and is from Georgia.

He is not getting a GA offer unless they have a rash of decommits. They have 4 WR committed right now.

maroonmania
01-02-2017, 07:03 PM
He is not getting a GA offer unless they have a rash of decommits. They have 4 WR committed right now.

Yea, relooking at Sanders, its really just one prediction to GA but looking like he doesn't have a very impressive offer list. Are we heavily interested in him? Is he scheduled for a visit? Other than Bowie apparently growing up a Bear fan he makes the most sense. I don't understand why all of these WRs want to go to UNM even without the probation. They've got so many WRs stacked that none of them are getting that many individual targets and you've got a ton of guys to get past just to get on the field. We, on the other hand, really are in need of WR playmakers on the outside.

BankerDog
01-02-2017, 07:32 PM
If we don't take Jordan Rhoades I will be disappointed. Best OL on our list. Great feet and is nasty.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 07:36 PM
If we don't take Jordan Rhoades I will be disappointed. Best OL on our list. Great feet and is nasty.

We have a really good shot at him. MSU & South Carolina are his top 2.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 09:45 PM

Very weird and it's disappointing to not be on more difference makers.

Bothrops
01-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Racey McMath would be a difference maker for us.

RocketDawg
01-02-2017, 10:01 PM

With a name like that, he has to be good. Rolls off the tongue like Dak Prescott.

maroonmania
01-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Is LSU expected to offer him? His composite recruiting ranking is essentially the same as Hunt and Williams.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Is LSU expected to offer him? His composite recruiting ranking is essentially the same as Hunt and Williams.

Yeah, but his film is better and his athletic traits are better. Something must be up with him. I heard that LSU had some guys higher on their list and they already have 2 or 3 guys committed. I don't know why we haven't gained any traction.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but his film is better and his athletic traits are better. Something must be up with him. I heard that LSU had some guys higher on their list and they already have 2 or 3 guys committed. I don't know why we haven't gained any traction.

If he doesn't go to LSU he's coming to MSU.

msstate7
01-02-2017, 10:57 PM
If he doesn't go to LSU he's coming to MSU.

So how likely is an lsu offer? McMath and Bowie would be sweet if we can pull it off

Bothrops
01-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Keytaon is key with McMath.

GTHOM
01-03-2017, 03:29 AM
Agree

Landry Walker is an inner city school they played some JPS schools

Covercorner2
01-03-2017, 08:57 AM
So how likely is an lsu offer? McMath and Bowie would be sweet if we can pull it off

He has an LSU "offer," I think he is just waiting on them to tell him it's OK to commit. Plus they just hired an new OC, so they may be reavulating everything.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Landry Walker is an inner city school they played some JPS schools

The big difference is 2 of those inner city schools won state in Landry Walker & Edna Karr. Can you imagine Provine & Calloway both winning state in football in the same year.

tcdog70
01-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Maybe there is some QB in Highschool that is a hell of an athlete that could play WR in D1. Kelvin Love was a QB.