PDA

View Full Version : Mullen has 2 QBs in the NFL Playoffs

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 10:26 PM
One is a steady veteran in Alex Smith that doesn't overly impress anyone as a gun slinger but the 49ers are still reeling from the poor decision to replace him.

The other is our beloved Dak who is putting together the best rookie QB campaign since Big Ben won a Super Bowl. No other rookie QB was even close to him and he has outperformed many veteran QBs.

Nick Fitz had comparable stats to the Heisman trophy winner in his first year as a starter. We have recruited the #1 dual threat QB in the nation.

Some of you won't like my next statement but here goes. We need to lock up Mullen with a fat contract because QB development like that is PRICELESS in football.

msstate7
01-01-2017, 10:30 PM
I think dan is compensated fairly

ScoobaDawg
01-01-2017, 10:41 PM
One is a steady veteran in Alex Smith that doesn't overly impress anyone as a gun slinger but the 49ers are still reeling from the poor decision to replace him.

The other is our beloved Dak who is putting together the best rookie QB campaign since Big Ben won a Super Bowl. No other rookie QB was even close to him and he has outperformed many veteran QBs.

Nick Fitz had comparable stats to the Heisman trophy winner in his first year as a starter. We have recruited the #1 dual threat QB in the nation.

Some of you won't like my next statement but here goes. We need to lock up Mullen with a fat contract because QB development like that is PRICELESS in football.

If developing QB's was the only thing we needed him to do I would say hell yes give him a lifetime contract as the QB coach...

But He is the head coach, so I think he has been properly compensated for his OVERALL performance as to date.
The level of success has been set. He needs to stay there and continue climbing. He didn't do that this year and exposed some bad flaws as a coach instead.

Dawgtini
01-01-2017, 10:43 PM
👍 💯

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Don't be surprise when Cohen gives him a nice raise. He will hit $5 million soon.

ScoobaDawg
01-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Don't be surprise when Cohen gives him a nice raise. He will hit $5 million soon.

As previously discussed he already earns 5mil through all his compensation. Why the hell would we give him a raise after a 6-7 season??

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2017, 11:17 PM
When Mullen leaves we need to hire Jim Bob Cooter to replace him......Dickie Nutt could be one of his assistants...

msstate7
01-01-2017, 11:19 PM
When Mullen leaves we need to hire Jim Bob Cooter to replace him......Dickie Nutt could be one of his assistants...

Jim bob probably gonna be an NFL HC before long

Gutter Cobreh
01-01-2017, 11:57 PM

Good thing ole Jim Bob's records have been cleared to help pave the way....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/10/30/jim-bob-cooter-arrest/74879326/

Leeshouldveflanked
01-02-2017, 12:14 AM
Good thing ole Jim Bob's records have been cleared to help pave the way....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/10/30/jim-bob-cooter-arrest/74879326/
Your right.... probably more qualified for Oxford...

PassInterference
01-02-2017, 12:31 AM
You older guys will remember many good MSU teams over the years that were missing a critical piece - the QB. Ohhh if we just had a good QB we might be a contender.

We used to have good defenses on a regular basis. Good OL on a regular basis. Bruising RBs on a regular basis.

Now we've flipped. We are QB rich. We have probably the best QB whisperer coach in the country. But our D is putrid. Our OL has been at best sometimes serviceable. We're doing OK at RB most years.

Goodness if Mullen could just keep a decent DC. That's our missing piece now.

Anyway, QB whisperers are very rare. I'm glad we have one.

Good DCs are a lot more common and we just don't have one. Not sure how we solve that or if it's solvable at all.

And...Hevesy.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 01:17 AM

As I have said before I think we should extend his contract one year and keep him at the same salary but make his contract incentive laden. Win/win for all of us.

1 million for a NC (in addition to appearance and win bonus's for a total of 1.6 million)
500K for New Year's six bowl win (in addition to appearance bonus for 600K total)
100K for New Year's six bowl appearance
100K for Bowl win (Non New Year's Six) (in addition to appearance bonus for 200K total)
100K for Bowl appearance (Non New Year's Six)
500K for SEC Championship
250K for Regular season SEC Championship
100K for SEC West Championship
100K for Egg Bowl win
100K for Alabama win
100K for LSU win
500K for top 10 recruiting class per 247 composite
250K for top 20 recruiting class per 247 composite
100K for top 25 recruiting class per 247 composite

That would be a max of 3.25 in bonuses if my math is correct. Recruiting bonus would be the bonus for the highest finish only- not added together.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 01:21 AM
You older guys will remember many good MSU teams over the years that were missing a critical piece - the QB. Ohhh if we just had a good QB we might be a contender.

We used to have good defenses on a regular basis. Good OL on a regular basis. Bruising RBs on a regular basis.

Now we've flipped. We are QB rich. We have probably the best QB whisperer coach in the country. But our D is putrid. Our OL has been at best sometimes serviceable. We're doing OK at RB most years.

Good DCs are a lot more common and we just don't have one. Not sure how we solve that or if it's solvable at all.

And...Hevesy.

That's what is so ironic to me. It has totally flipped. There was a time where we thought we would never get a good QB to Starkville and now it looks like we might have a string three in a row potentially. And you would think that we would still be able to have everything that we used to have but it hasn't worked out like that under Dan.

We need to somehow morph Dan and Jackie and take only the good parts of each.

Reason2succeed
01-02-2017, 08:29 AM
As I have said before I think we should extend his contract one year and keep him at the same salary but make his contract incentive laden. Win/win for all of us.

1 million for a NC (in addition to appearance and win bonus's for a total of 1.6 million)
500K for New Year's six bowl win (in addition to appearance bonus for 600K total)
100K for New Year's six bowl appearance
100K for Bowl win (Non New Year's Six) (in addition to appearance bonus for 200K total)
100K for Bowl appearance (Non New Year's Six)
500K for SEC Championship
250K for Regular season SEC Championship
100K for SEC West Championship
100K for Egg Bowl win
100K for Alabama win
100K for LSU win
500K for top 10 recruiting class per 247 composite
250K for top 20 recruiting class per 247 composite
100K for top 25 recruiting class per 247 composite

That would be a max of 3.25 in bonuses if my math is correct. Recruiting bonus would be the bonus for the highest finish only- not added together.

Do it how you want to. I like incentives more than a flat salary but of course it depends on what you can get him and his agent to agree to. What I'm saying is that Mullen will be a hot commodity as a coach just because of his prowess at grooming QBs. There are programs that would snatch him and force him to take a great DC and bring in a certain OL coach just like they e done Sumlin at aTm.

BB30
01-02-2017, 10:03 AM

And...Hevesy.

I agree, there is definitely something going on with the defensive struggles year in and year out. I don't think mullen meddles in the day to day defensive stuff but I do think he lays out an outline of how he wants his defense to play and I don't think it will get better until he completely lets go of the reigns and hires a legit DC and lets him do his thing and play his defense.