PDA

View Full Version : DD Bowie leaning away from UM

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-01-2017, 05:56 PM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Bolt/VIP-scoop-Ole-Miss-losing-grip-on-four-star-WR-DD-Bowie-50198442

Holy S%#^ Could Florida State bend OM over twice? Looks like we might have a shot as well.

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:00 PM
I doubt he'd come here, so I hope fsu offers

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-01-2017, 06:02 PM
I doubt he'd come here, so I hope fsu offers

So you think he's just blowing smoke with this comment ?

"I feel like I would go to Mississippi State and compete for a starting spot," he said. "Do what I gotta do, go to class and I think I'd get drafted in the NFL."

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:05 PM
So you think he's just blowing smoke with this comment ?

I just think there's no way OM lets Bowie come here

Of course, this is based on nothing but a hunch

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:05 PM
If he takes an OV with us then I would think we would have a shot. Key word here being takes an OV as in schedules one and actually shows up.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2017, 06:08 PM
I'd be far more frustrated if he signed with FSU than Ole Miss.

As much as our program has grown & accomplished over the past 7 years, it would be endlessly frustrating to see that happen.

Todd4State
I just think there's no way OM lets Bowie come here

Of course, this is based on nothing but a hunch

What are they going to do? Turn themselves in again for cheating?

Having read the article I think he wants to go to Florida State reading between the lines.

preachermatt83
Do yal want an honest prediction from preach or one of my never fail 100 percent reverse lock predictions??

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:10 PM

As much as our program has grown & accomplished over the past 7 years, it would be endlessly frustrating to see that happen.

You'd be more frustrated that a kid chose a program about to get slammed by the NCAA over a team poised to be a playoff team next season?

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Dan does need to step it up with the higher ranked players in state as well as the developmental o-linemen and kickers/punters. It's odd but literally the only thing we recruit well are QB's and under the radar talent which no other coach could do before Dan. We're never going to progress past what we are now until Dan decides that recruiting is more important than hanging out with his country club friends. Losing out on AJ Brown, Lashley, and not even being in the game with Akers because he was unaware of a recruiting assistants past with his high school head coach is unacceptable.

BeardoMSU
01-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Do yal want an honest prediction from preach or one of my never fail 100 percent reverse lock predictions??

How bout instead, you walk into your bedroom, pick up a pillow, then scream into it***

https://media.tenor.co/images/1b833b49d3f65db33f0b495df2c7847f/raw

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2017, 06:13 PM
You'd be more frustrated that a kid chose a program about to get slammed by the NCAA over a team poised to be a playoff team next season?

It's about our staff being able to capitalize on Ole Miss' issues. I've justified this kid going to OM based on what they've likely done for his family over the past two years.

Losing him to FSU would just mean that we don't have the ability to capitalize on OM going to through probation. Can't lose Mississippi kids to out of state schools.

He has a chance to come to MSU & make an early impact. At FSU, it likely takes him a few years to get on the field

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Yes. Because we're not going to reach our ceiling until we stop those players from going out of state and have them help us get to the playoffs.

Just like LSU fans are pissed about us getting Dak and now Keytaeon.

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Dan does need to step it up with the higher ranked players in state as well as the developmental o-linemen and kickers/punters. It's odd but literally the only thing we recruit well are QB's and under the radar talent which no other coach could do before Dan. We're never going to progress past what we are now until Dan decides that recruiting is more important than hanging out with his country club friends. Losing out on AJ Brown, Lashley, and not even being in the game with Akers because he was unaware of a recruiting assistants past with his high school head coach is unacceptable.

Our front 7 on defense is loaded with 4*s... got more coming this time

BeardoMSU
01-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Exactly. O-line and secondary are where we've been lacking.

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:17 PM
It's about our staff being able to capitalize on Ole Miss' issues. I've justified this kid going to OM based on what they've likely done for his family over the past two years.

Losing him to FSU would just mean that we don't have the ability to capitalize on OM going to through probation. Can't lose Mississippi kids to out of state schools.

He has a chance to come to MSU & make an early impact. At FSU, it likely takes him a few years to get on the field

This kid is an OM fan... I think that makes us a much tougher sale than you do.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:19 PM

THIS! We have a chance to pass Ole Miss AGAIN and yet we sit here with a coach who doesn't prioritize recruiting as important and has described recruiting as the most stressful part of his job. And even worse we have an o-line coach who just gives up whenever one of our targets is offered by another power five program unless that player is like Cordavien Suggs and promises to never take visits and remain 150% loyal.

We're the only school in the SEC that allows a coaching staff to get away with this kind of laziness because it's better than MSU 1969. It's ridiculous in light of what we have accomplished the past 20 years. It's like our fans don't want to believe that we can be consistently good in football and don't want to have higher goals than winning the Egg Bowl and winning the Liberty Bowl.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Yes and they're JUCO's. Meaning that IF they pan out we're only going to get a year and a half of optimal production out of them. And we're having to go JUCO heavy because of this coaching staff's failure to close on NSD.

And what about the secondary, WIDE RECEIVER, OFFENSIVE LINE, and special teams- all of which have underperformed for the most part.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:24 PM
This kid is an OM fan... I think that makes us a much tougher sale than you do.

They'er going on probation. We're not.

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Listen to the key words this kid said in terms of State.

"I feel like I would go to Mississippi State and compete for a starting spot," he said. "Do what I gotta do, go to class and I think I'd get drafted in the NFL."

Basically he is saying that at OM he really will not have to compete and he wouldn't really have to go to class BUT he knows fromState coaches and current State players that coming to State means hard work.

I'm with Mullen on this in that I only want guys who know they are going to have to grind. Entitled guys now matter how talented will not benefit us. They will only destroy the culture of our program.

It was this culture of hard work that allowed a team that lost to S. Alabama to keep fighting and win back the Egg and win another bowl game. Lesser programs would have folded halfway through the season.

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Yes and they're JUCO's. Meaning that IF they pan out we're only going to get a year and a half of optimal production out of them. And we're having to go JUCO heavy because of this coaching staff's failure to close on NSD.

And what about the secondary, WIDE RECEIVER, OFFENSIVE LINE, and special teams- all of which have underperformed for the most part.

Lewis, Simmons, spencer, green, Thomas, Adams, Washington, jung, jones, and Thompson were all 4* on at least one site if I'm not mistaken

Percho
01-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Must be a Blue day.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Listen to the key words this kid said in terms of State.

Basically he is saying that at OM he really will not have to compete and he wouldn't really have to go to class BUT he knows fromState coaches and current State players that coming to State means hard work.

I'm with Mullen on this in that I only want guys who know they are going to have to grind. Entitled guys now matter how talented will not benefit us. They will only destroy the culture of our program.

It was this culture of hard work that allowed a team that lost to S. Alabama to keep fighting and win back the Egg and win another bowl game. Lesser programs would have folded halfway through the season.

I think you need both talent and hard workers and then you have them play off of each other. Ole Miss made it to the Sugar Bowl even though they didn't work as hard as our guys for a reason. Yeah- they cheated and that was part of it, but they also had guys that could make plays.

I think if you have too many guys that are entitled then I think eventually you are right things will cave in- like Ole Miss this year and probably going forward. But if you don't have enough talent then you also have a more difficult time matching up against the other teams in the SEC.

So, there has to be a balance between the two. We need some guys with some swag. BAD.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-01-2017, 06:40 PM
There's some smoke here. For the record I don't expect a FSU offer.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Lewis, Simmons, spencer, green, Thomas, Adams, Washington, jung, jones, and Thompson were all 4* on at least one site if I'm not mistaken

Great. And how many of those guys have actually performed up that level so far? Simmons and Lewis. The rest remain to be seen. Plus several of those guys are going to be stuck behind the JUCO's because of Dan's play the upperclassmen the majority of the time policy except in rare instances.

We need more than a front seven even though yes that is an important part of the team. We need to be a more complete team throughout the recruiting process and not be good at 2-3 spots and then terrible at the other spots on the team.

BeastMan
01-01-2017, 06:41 PM
He's not getting FSU offer. If he decommits, MSU is in a great spot. Let's make sure he OVs

msstate7
01-01-2017, 06:41 PM

What are we recruiting him as?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-01-2017, 06:42 PM
What are we recruiting him as?

We'll definitely let him prove he can't play WR before he tries anything else.

Todd4State

Now you have my attention. I think we're both in agreement that an OV would mean that there really is something to this possibly.

Reason2succeed
I think you need both talent and hard workers and then you have them play off of each other. Ole Miss made it to the Sugar Bowl even though they didn't work as hard as our guys for a reason. Yeah- they cheated and that was part of it, but they also had guys that could make plays.

I think if you have too many guys that are entitled then I think eventually you are right things will cave in- like Ole Miss this year and probably going forward. But if you don't have enough talent then you also have a more difficult time matching up against the other teams in the SEC.

So, there has to be a balance between the two. We need some guys with some swag. BAD.

Of course you want as much talent as you can have but you will never out talent Bama and LSU. There is a reason why OM could beat Bama but failed to take the next obvious step in actually winning he SEC West.

I'll take the kid if he knows he is going to have to work hard but we don't need any more Quay Evans or John Michael Hankerson types. How much of the coaches time and energy do these knuckle heads take up? No thanks. Make sure they know what they are getting into from the jump.

Vandelay Industries
01-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Nice. Get him on campus and anything can happen

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Of course you want as much talent as you can have but you will never out talent Bama and LSU. There is a reason why OM could beat Bama but failed to take the next obvious step in actually winning he SEC West.

I'll take the kid if he knows he is going to have to work hard but we don't need any more Quay Evans or John Michael Hankerson types. How much of the coaches time and energy do these knuckle heads take up? No thanks. Make sure they know what they are getting into from the jump.

Or Josh Robinson and Bear Wilson. We don't want any more of those.

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-01-2017, 06:59 PM

yes it is butt,sirmon will still be coaching them.

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Or Josh Robinson and Bear Wilson. We don't want any more of those.

Please remind me of how highly recruited JRob and Bear were because I forgot.

RC3
01-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Anyone know why he doesn't have an fsu offer? Just no room for him in their class? From his comments, I gather that we will have a chance at him if they don't offer

Ifyouonlyknew
01-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Anyone know why he doesn't have an fsu offer? Just no room for him in their class? From his comments, I gather that we will have a chance at him if they don't offer

I think he's offer fishing instead of being honest on committing if they offer. FSU is on other kids.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 07:52 PM

So we only want a player with swag if they don't have any other power five offers. That's sounds very Hevesy. Robinson would have had some if he wasn't an academic risk and Bear certainly would have had them if he had been playing football longer. We can't make a living beating the bushes and letting the other talented players go off to other places and best us.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I think he's offer fishing instead of being honest on committing if they offer. FSU is on other kids.

Hopefully offer fishing to get the hell away from Ole Miss and not offer fishing to play the recruiting game. Unless he has one from us already.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 08:01 PM

And to add- the fact of the matter is if you look at MSU and Ole Miss since 2013 we've had almost identical success on the field doing it both ways. I picked 2013 because that was the first year that Freeze and Ole Miss got their 2013 class that ran concurrently with how we do things. Biggest difference is our style is more sustainable only because it doesn't lead to crippling probation. It doesn't change the fact that of we don't bring in more talent we won't advance much beyond what we already have which is better than probation but also not reaching our ceiling. We need to add talent to the work ethic blue collar guys to reach our ceiling. The blue collar hard working guys will need to help keep the talented guys in line and hopefully the swag guys can elevate the blue collar guys level of play.

See Deion Sanders when he joined the 49ers in 1994.

preachermatt83
01-01-2017, 08:23 PM
He would be 100 percent committed to OM if it were not for the uncertainty with the NCAA. The effects of the uncertainty is hurting their recruiting worse than the actual punishment will. I hope this goes on another 2 years before they announce sanctions and penaltys.

I will say this... if we would really push the NCAA stuff with him and recruit him really hard then we would get him. Will we do that? Not sure.

preachermatt83
01-01-2017, 08:23 PM
And to add- the fact of the matter is if you look at MSU and Ole Miss since 2013 we've had almost identical success on the field doing it both ways. I picked 2013 because that was the first year that Freeze and Ole Miss got their 2013 class that ran concurrently with how we do things. Biggest difference is our style is more sustainable only because it doesn't lead to crippling probation. It doesn't change the fact that of we don't bring in more talent we won't advance much beyond what we already have which is better than probation but also not reaching our ceiling. We need to add talent to the work ethic blue collar guys to reach our ceiling. The blue collar hard working guys will need to help keep the talented guys in line and hopefully the swag guys can elevate the blue collar guys level of play.

Good post Todd.

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 08:27 PM

1) Being #1 in the nation obviously isn't good enough for you.
2) When did I ever say anything about avoiding talented guys? What I am saying is that all the talent in the world will not overcome a lack of work ethic. Quay Evans had stars by his name but essentially gave us nothing but issues. Invest your recruiting energy into the guys that have both like KT Thompson, Kylin Hill, Gay, etc.
3) Let's look at OM's big 3 from 2013. One could argue that they were all pretty respectable young men coming out of high school. Freeze and OM seem to have corrupted them the longer they stayed in Oxford. This corrupt culture has led to two out of three being draft busts and the other having a propensity to wearing gas mask bongs. This comes from a messed up culture.
4) Not only is OM collapsing because of NCAA investigations they also collapsed on the field after beating Alabama. WHEN State beats Alabama it will be a team that can go on and win the west.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 08:41 PM
1) Being #1 in the nation obviously isn't good enough for you.
2) When did I ever say anything about avoiding talented guys? What I am saying is that all the talent in the world will not overcome a lack of work ethic. Quay Evans had stars by his name but essentially gave us nothing but issues. Invest your recruiting energy into the guys that have both like KT Thompson, Kylin Hill, Gay, etc.
3) Let's look at OM's big 3 from 2013. One could argue that they were all pretty respectable young men coming out of high school. Freeze and OM seem to have corrupted them the longer they stayed in Oxford. This corrupt culture has led to two out of three being draft busts and the other having a propensity to wearing gas mask bongs. This comes from a messed up culture.
4) Not only is OM collapsing because of NCAA investigations they also collapsed on the field after beating Alabama. WHEN State beats Alabama it will be a team that can go on and win the west.

1) Where did we finish that season? I recall losing to Alabama, Ole Miss, and the Orange Bowl. Should we have been happy with the baseball program for being number one in 2006 and then finishing a three seed too?

2) Problem with your theory is not all of the players we miss out on lack work ethic. And not everyone that has recruiting drama lacks work ethic either- see Richie Brown and Chris Jones. We're missing out on talented guys and saying we didn't want them because they didn't fit our program is a cop out from Dan.

3) I'm not arguing that. I've said Ole Miss had the exact opposite problem as we did. How would our team have been with Tunsil, Treadwell, Nkemdiche, and Conner? Better and they would have likely ended up better players. Treadwell would know more than two routes for sure. They need more character guys. We need more raw talent.

4) Combonation of both IMO culminating with some injuries and an Egg Bowl beat down which I expect to linger into next season.

Dawgtini
01-01-2017, 08:41 PM
THIS! We have a chance to pass Ole Miss AGAIN and yet we sit here with a coach who doesn't prioritize recruiting as important and has described recruiting as the most stressful part of his job. And even worse we have an o-line coach who just gives up whenever one of our targets is offered by another power five program unless that player is like Cordavien Suggs and promises to never take visits and remain 150% loyal.

We're the only school in the SEC that allows a coaching staff to get away with this kind of laziness because it's better than MSU 1969. It's ridiculous in light of what we have accomplished the past 20 years. It's like our fans don't want to believe that we can be consistently good in football and don't want to have higher goals than winning the Egg Bowl and winning the Liberty Bowl.
TITS blowing a gasket right out of the gate in 2017. Bravo good sir!!

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 08:44 PM
TITS blowing a gasket right out of the gate in 2017. Bravo good sir!!

Blowing a gasket? Please. Apparently you take this way more seriously than I do. Or you are OK with being mediocre. When Dan leaves you'll be the first in line toeing the party line that you are glad he is gone because of his lack of recruiting or whatever the company line is.

Not only that, I'm sure you will be the first in line to tell me how "wrong" I was about Dan when he starts winning with the players that I said should have been starting all along- which is what happened with Josh and Aeris. You are the epitome of the fan that I was talking about which is holding us back as a fan base.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2017, 09:30 PM
How bout instead, you walk into your bedroom, pick up a pillow, then scream into it***

https://media.tenor.co/images/1b833b49d3f65db33f0b495df2c7847f/raw

I second that.

DanDority
01-01-2017, 09:35 PM
We got a shot, I just saw on 247 he is being recruited by Tony Hughes for us.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 09:39 PM

If we have Jackson State helping us out in recruiting Dan is way more clever than I gave him credit for.

gravedigger
01-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Todd, is it possible that the staff has evaluated the young man and he isn't a priority? I know for a fact that the criteria the staff used is nothing at all like what recruiting services use. Why must we assume that the 4 stars and the rating by the CL is justification to make him a priority for us? Could there be a different kid we are focusing on?

I'm not questioning whether the kid is good or not. I'm questioning whether we as fans are privy to what our staff has already decided on him.

Bully13

A coach at another school recruiting for US? weird, no?

confucius say
1) Where did we finish that season? I recall losing to Alabama, Ole Miss, and the Orange Bowl. Should we have been happy with the baseball program for being number one in 2006 and then finishing a three seed too?

2) Problem with your theory is not all of the players we miss out on lack work ethic. And not everyone that has recruiting drama lacks work ethic either- see Richie Brown and Chris Jones. We're missing out on talented guys and saying we didn't want them because they didn't fit our program is a cop out from Dan.

3) I'm not arguing that. I've said Ole Miss had the exact opposite problem as we did. How would our team have been with Tunsil, Treadwell, Nkemdiche, and Conner? Better and they would have likely ended up better players. Treadwell would know more than two routes for sure. They need more character guys. We need more raw talent.

4) Combonation of both IMO culminating with some injuries and an Egg Bowl beat down which I expect to linger into next season.

1) are you really saying you were not happy with the 2014 season? Really?

2) Chris jones was the definition of talented with an iffy work ethic. David turner told you that for 3 years.

3) agreed

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Todd, is it possible that the staff has evaluated the young man and he isn't a priority? I know for a fact that the criteria the staff used is nothing at all like what recruiting services use. Why must we assume that the 4 stars and the rating by the CL is justification to make him a priority for us? Could there be a different kid we are focusing on?

I'm not questioning whether the kid is good or not. I'm questioning whether we as fans are privy to what our staff has already decided on him.

Don't bother with logic. Todd is smarter than the winningest coach in Mississippi State history. The only reason why he isn't making $4 million a year himself is because he loves Elitedawgs so much.

Dawgtini
01-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Don't bother with logic. Todd is smarter than the winningest coach in Mississippi State history. The only reason why he isn't making $4 million a year himself is because he loves Elitedawgs so much.
Hmmm ... I sense a disturbance in the Force. You too could be the type of fan that just loves being mediocre. **

Reason2succeed
01-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Hmmm ... I sense a disturbance in the Force. You too could be the type of fan that just loves being mediocre. **

This is a Star Trek issue not Star Wars. I'm appealing to logic like a Romulan.

It's totally illogical what Todd is saying. He is assuming that our coaching staff is not doing everything in their power to get the best players on their team. THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!!! If Mullen isn't pursuing a player it's either because he doesn't think that player will benefit State, it isn't worth the time (or financial) investment, or the player just doesn't want to come to State.

And check my history I'm as bullish about winning as anyone but I'm also practical.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 11:16 PM

I'm not questioning whether we want DD Bowie or not. I'm talking about missing out on some of the bigger recruits in Mississippi in general as well as the o-line and special teams recruiting.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 11:20 PM
1) are you really saying you were not happy with the 2014 season? Really?

2) Chris jones was the definition of talented with an iffy work ethic. David turner told you that for 3 years.

3) agreed

1) No. I'm saying I wasn't happy with the finish of the 2014 season. Because ultimately that's what matters. Making the BCS final four and then going to the Sugar Bowl would have been huge for our program and we blew it two years in a row. Even worse we blew 2014 doing that stupid 1A/1B bullcrap. Excuse me for not being happy about that.

2) Who cares what David Turner told me? Chris Jones is successful in the NFL so his work ethic isn't that bad.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 11:22 PM

The only time I see your dumbass over here is when you post something about me. When you aren't on sixpack posting something about me. Not sure what the obsession is about?

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 11:25 PM

Allyn McKeen made 4 million a year in 1941? I'm smart enough to not start a 150 pound running back and try to run him up the middle ad nauseum but so is pretty much everyone else on the board. And smart enough to not start a kicker with a bad back.

I don't say anything else on here that hasn't been posted before by someone else.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2017, 11:28 PM
He's not going anywhere but OM. And I really don't think I want him anyway. Trouble will be following him.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 11:36 PM
This is a Star Trek issue not Star Wars. I'm appealing to logic like a Romulan.

It's totally illogical what Todd is saying. He is assuming that our coaching staff is not doing everything in their power to get the best players on their team. THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!!! If Mullen isn't pursuing a player it's either because he doesn't think that player will benefit State, it isn't worth the time (or financial) investment, or the player just doesn't want to come to State.

And check my history I'm as bullish about winning as anyone but I'm also practical.

The fact of the matter is some members on our staff are lazy when it comes to recruiting. That's all I'm saying about our coaching staff. Nowhere have I said that the coaches don't want the best players.

I am saying that sometimes when they don't get the best players that's when they start with the copouts like "we didn't want him any way because..."

I am saying that they should improve getting some of the better in state talent to MSU. You can be doing everything in your power to do anything and still have room for improvement.

You are basically saying that the services are always wrong if we don't get an in state player that they rank high essentially and our coaches are always right. That's way more illogical than what I am saying because you are essentially saying our coaches never miss on anyone that they want. It's also been proven to be wrong because we've certainly missed on Jonnas Spivey and Brandon Wells.

You are practically saying we can't do any better in recruiting than we are and that is simply incorrect.

What doesn't make any sense to me is that we are the only program in the SEC that has fans that defend their laziness. It wouldn't be put up with anywhere else in the SEC. We can talk about being number one two years ago- the fact of the matter now is we are 6-7. We can and should be better than that.

confucius say
01-01-2017, 11:52 PM
1) No. I'm saying I wasn't happy with the finish of the 2014 season. Because ultimately that's what matters. Making the BCS final four and then going to the Sugar Bowl would have been huge for our program and we blew it two years in a row. Even worse we blew 2014 doing that stupid 1A/1B bullcrap. Excuse me for not being happy about that.

2) Who cares what David Turner told me? Chris Jones is successful in the NFL so his work ethic isn't that bad.

1) either you are happy with the season or not. Of course we all wanted to be in the playoff. I am still happy with any season that ends in a big six bowl.

2) who cares about the NFL? Your post was about college production. Jones was a good college player who should have been dominant.

confucius say
01-01-2017, 11:56 PM
The fact of the matter is some members on our staff are lazy when it comes to recruiting. That's all I'm saying about our coaching staff. Nowhere have I said that the coaches don't want the best players.

I am saying that sometimes when they don't get the best players that's when they start with the copouts like "we didn't want him any way because..."

I am saying that they should improve getting some of the better in state talent to MSU. You can be doing everything in your power to do anything and still have room for improvement.

You are basically saying that the services are always wrong if we don't get an in state player that they rank high essentially and our coaches are always right. That's way more illogical than what I am saying because you are essentially saying our coaches never miss on anyone that they want. It's also been proven to be wrong because we've certainly missed on Jonnas Spivey and Brandon Wells.

You are practically saying we can't do any better in recruiting than we are and that is simply incorrect.

What doesn't make any sense to me is that we are the only program in the SEC that has fans that defend their laziness. It wouldn't be put up with anywhere else in the SEC. We can talk about being number one two years ago- the fact of the matter now is we are 6-7. We can and should be better than that.

Recruiting could def be better, no doubt. Mullen knows that as evidenced by the complete overhaul of our recruiting strategy that took place last march.

Mullen also is the best qb developer in the sec so I'll support him and hope he continues to work on his flaws.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Why would we not bring him in on the 13th when other Miss. kids are here?

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 12:33 AM

That is when Scout has him listed as visiting.

Dawgtini
01-02-2017, 12:35 AM
The only time I see your dumbass over here is when you post something about me. When you aren't on sixpack posting something about me. Not sure what the obsession is about?
So you only pay attention when it's about you. I'm shocked **

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 12:56 AM
1) either you are happy with the season or not. Of course we all wanted to be in the playoff. I am still happy with any season that ends in a big six bowl.

2) who cares about the NFL? Your post was about college production. Jones was a good college player who should have been dominant.

1) As I said I am not happy with how the season ended. I am satisfied with winning.

2) We are talking about the same Chris Jones that was a beast in the Egg Bowl his freshman year, played about 50% of the time because of 1A/1B and then had a very good junior season. Jones's problem wasn't his work ethic as much as he was a DT that wanted to play DE.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Recruiting could def be better, no doubt. Mullen knows that as evidenced by the complete overhaul of our recruiting strategy that took place last march.

Mullen also is the best qb developer in the sec so I'll support him and hope he continues to work on his flaws.

I hope he improves too. I agree he has some strengths and QB development is one of those. I want to see him put those recruiting gurus on the field so that they can go out and recruit which if the rumor is true will happen with Peterson. With Ole Miss on probation and a loaded in state class coming up in 2019 it's probably not going to ever get more favorable for him and us. Especially if 2018 is as good a season as some of us think it could be.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 01:03 AM
So you only pay attention when it's about you. I'm shocked **

Or maybe I pay attention when someone says something worth paying attention to. In that you're pretty lacking.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-02-2017, 01:08 AM
That is when Scout has him listed as visiting.

The 247 article said the 20th though.

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 01:23 AM

How many do we have visiting on the 13th? I think there are limits on how many you can have on OV at a time. Not sure if it's that or if there is a conflict in Bowie's schedule potentially or something else.

gravedigger
01-02-2017, 02:10 AM
I'm not questioning whether we want DD Bowie or not. I'm talking about missing out on some of the bigger recruits in Mississippi in general as well as the o-line and special teams recruiting.

Ok and I won't disagree but there are dimensions to recruiting that the casual fan who follows recruiting services and rankings just cannot see. A couple of which are :

What the coaching staff determines the greatest need is to fill (not necessarily the same thing fans think)

How the relationship has developed with the kid and the person recruiting him. Raw stats, great highlight films and other schools offers are surface things but that's about all most services have to go on.

As we all know, Mullen and Hevesy are not the most pleasant people to deal with. Like it or not, our current players may not always sell the program well when describing it to recruits when it comes to playing for them.

Mullen is a micromanager. Plain and simple. My thoughts are that this rubs some kids the wrong way. Inconsistency at the D.C. position hasn't helped.

I'm just not buying the whole "country club" argument. I'm saying that our players love their position coaches and many resent ******* meddling with them.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2017, 09:35 AM
The 247 article apparently made it to the Spirit board:

Ben say Bowie is a long shot to sign with OM. He's been worried about the NCAA investigation from the beginning & the concern is real. Says he'll probably go to MSU.

Yancy say Bowie will be a Rebel because there is too much in place for him not to be.

Spirit subscribers say why ya'll contradicting yourselves?

Yancy & Ben say in response, "We have different sources"

http://i.imgur.com/G0YYDXE.gif

msstate7
01-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up on Bowie, but he and gay could really make this a nice class

BB30
01-02-2017, 09:54 AM

Not wanting to start an argument... As I am relatively new to being somewhat active on the board. But what was your opinion on Cohen then? He never won an NC and outside of last year (where IMO we underachieved) and a freak year where we went to UF and almost pulled off the upset he still only made it to the World Series once. And our baseball program is set up much better due to our history than football is..

I know I know two different sports but the fact remains he had several top 10 classes and couldn't pull of a championship...

I guess my question is what is your realistic expectation for our football program?
By coaching standards both Cohen and Mullen have taken us to places we have never been. Albeit, Cohen had the easiest male sports job on campus/whereas Mullen arguably has the toughest historically.

And, as for your earlier comment about Mullen saying recruiting is the most stressful part of his job, I would guess the majority of coaches would say that. As there are so many variables when it comes to recruiting and do's and dont's. If my profession relied on 18-22 year olds making a decision and sticking with it, I would find that pretty stressful too.

Could more effort be put out I am not sure I think once OM goes on probation we will get to see what Dan and Co can really do recruiting in state. And for the most part I think outside of last years class he has done as good as any other coach we have ever had recruiting wise and winning. I think he has built the program on a pretty solid foundation but things take time to change perception.

Reason2succeed
01-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Not wanting to start an argument... As I am relatively new to being somewhat active on the board. But what was your opinion on Cohen then? He never won an NC and outside of last year (where IMO we underachieved) and a freak year where we went to UF and almost pulled off the upset he still only made it to the World Series once. And our baseball program is set up much better due to our history than football is..

I know I know two different sports but the fact remains he had several top 10 classes and couldn't pull of a championship...

I guess my question is what is your realistic expectation for our football program?
By coaching standards both Cohen and Mullen have taken us to places we have never been. Albeit, Cohen had the easiest male sports job on campus/whereas Mullen arguably has the toughest historically.

And, as for your earlier comment about Mullen saying recruiting is the most stressful part of his job, I would guess the majority of coaches would say that. As there are so many variables when it comes to recruiting and do's and dont's. If my profession relied on 18-22 year olds making a decision and sticking with it, I would find that pretty stressful too.

Could more effort be put out I am not sure I think once OM goes on probation we will get to see what Dan and Co can really do recruiting in state. And for the most part I think outside of last years class he has done as good as any other coach we have ever had recruiting wise and winning. I think he has built the program on a pretty solid foundation but things take time to change perception.

Thank you! This is a post of sane and reasonable logic. Todd you are being drawn to the dark side. Only Sith deal in absolutes (All in OM & Auburn fans).

defiantdog
01-02-2017, 10:17 AM
The 247 article apparently made it to the Spirit board:

Ben say Bowie is a long shot to sign with OM. He's been worried about the NCAA investigation from the beginning & the concern is real. Says he'll probably go to MSU.

Yancy say Bowie will be a Rebel because there is too much in place for him not to be.

Spirit subscribers say why ya'll contradicting yourselves?

Yancy & Ben say in response, "We have different sources"

http://i.imgur.com/G0YYDXE.gif

Boosters aren't sources..... the OM network is trying so hard to be like the Bama network. Except they are a car dealership that leases corvettes away from being successful.

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Ok and I won't disagree but there are dimensions to recruiting that the casual fan who follows recruiting services and rankings just cannot see. A couple of which are :

What the coaching staff determines the greatest need is to fill (not necessarily the same thing fans think)

How the relationship has developed with the kid and the person recruiting him. Raw stats, great highlight films and other schools offers are surface things but that's about all most services have to go on.

As we all know, Mullen and Hevesy are not the most pleasant people to deal with. Like it or not, our current players may not always sell the program well when describing it to recruits when it comes to playing for them.

Mullen is a micromanager. Plain and simple. My thoughts are that this rubs some kids the wrong way. Inconsistency at the D.C. position hasn't helped.

I'm just not buying the whole "country club" argument. I'm saying that our players love their position coaches and many resent ******* meddling with them.

Mullen is not pleasant to deal with? You are way off on that. He may be hard on coaches (much better now than we he first started) but in general he is not like you think and has a great relationship with the vast majority of the players.

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 10:33 AM
The 247 article said the 20th though.

Yeah I know but those visits dates may change or he may have had the date wrong on when which school wanted him to visit.

KB21
01-02-2017, 10:36 AM
I think what some need to get a grip on is the fact that Dan and his staff are not going to tell recruits what they want to hear. They aren't going to blow smoke up their rear end by telling them how great they are and how they are going to start as a true freshman like some other schools do. He gets this from Urban Meyer, who is big about not promising players anything that cannot be delivered.

lamont
01-02-2017, 10:44 AM
I think what some need to get a grip on is the fact that Dan and his staff are not going to tell recruits what they want to hear. They aren't going to blow smoke up their rear end by telling them how great they are and how they are going to start as a true freshman like some other schools do. He gets this from Urban Meyer, who is big about not promising players anything that cannot be delivered.

This

We dont do rock star glam. We are the Lynyrd Skynyrd of recruiting- down to earth and straight at ya. Works for some- others not so much

The lack of OL recruiting is the main concern- no reason we cant pull one 4-star kid per year. No reason Miami-Ohio's OL should look better than ours

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Here’s the big difference between Dan and Cohen- Cohen inherited a much worse situation when he took over. His first two years were rebuilding years- much like Howland’s was last year. The rest of his tenure he went to a SR, won the SEC Tournament, went to Omaha, went to a regional as a two seed, had a losing season, and then won the SEC and went to a SR. Just like with Dan- I’m not happy with how the 2013 season and last season ended. I can tolerate how those ended a little bit better because unlike Dan we didn’t do anything overtly nonsensical like 1A/1B that kind of makes you wonder “What if”.

The other big difference is you were talking about Dan “taking us to places we have never been”. Dan hasn’t done that. Yes we were ranked number one for a few weeks but that isn’t where we FINISHED. The bowl streak is nice but some of that is because of the fact that it is easier to make a bowl now- especially this year for us. As far as what Dan did AT THE END OF THE YEAR- Jackie Sherrill’s 1999 season was better than Dan’s 2014 season. He went to a what is now New Year’s Six bowl and won it. He also won the SEC West in 1998 and went to the Cotton Bowl another New Year’s six bowl, a season that is also close to equal what 2014 was for Dan. The end result is all that matters to me. Other than the bowl streak and being ranked number one for a short time, Dan hasn’t really done anything that hasn’t been done before here at MSU.

Cohen is a much better coach than Dan. After we had a losing season in 2015 he made changes to the coaching staff and brought in Will Coggin a much better hitting coach. He also brought in more power hitters to adapt to the changing climate in baseball. He also stepped down when being the baseball coach became boring to him and he felt like he wasn’t putting as much into it as he was. Dan has made some changes- but why do we still have the same offensive line coach? He has made some changes to recruiting- but why our are best recruiters not put into a position where they can go out and make home visits and would be presumably even more effective? We went 6-7- what changes is Dan going to make? And sure, he may indeed make some but other than Peterson for Sallach I haven’t heard of any rumors and I expect Sirmon and Hevesy to be back. If Cohen saw that a senior hitter was struggling would he keep trotting him out there or would he try a freshman to see what he could do? Happened multiple times I’m sure. Dan tried to force Holloway out there and not use him properly.

And as far as expectations, I have floors and ceilings. I believe the floor for the football team should be 8 wins a year at this point. The ceiling is 12. If you can make it to number one there is a possibility that you can win 12. The floor for the baseball team is a two seed in a regional and the ceiling is a NC. If a team fails to make the floor that is occasionally acceptable. If that happens we should look at the program and make changes if necessary and look at why we didn’t meet the minimum expectation. Regardless, we should always strive for a championship.

You mention that Cohen had the “easiest job” historically but the reality is I would say he has the most difficult in terms of fan expectations. We have people that go crazy if he has someone hitting where they don’t think he should be in the lineup. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the Ron Polk loyalists despised him for years because he wasn’t Tommy Raffo.

And as far as the last part I obviously disagree because there are a few more high end players that I think we should have gotten over the years. I do think that because of how Dan runs his program combined with the fact that we would hopefully have that balance I was talking about between talent and hard work would affect some of those high end players more positively than some of them turned out at Ole Miss. See Nick James as an example of someone turning out well. I think we will be able to say the same about Simmons and Leo as well. My guess is either we will dominate the state or we’ll see what has happened this cycle- where we are recruiting about the same but we are losing guys to out of state schools instead of Ole Miss. Every cycle is different and it sounds like flipping Bowie is a possibility at this point and that would change my opinion some if that does indeed play out. I think the Akers situation was one where it could have been avoided on our end if we had a little more awareness IMO plus that was a sticky coaching situation for us similar to Bobby Hall when he was at Madison Central. And honestly I would probably be a lot happier about our recruiting if our o-line recruiting was better- I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of our in state whiffs have come along at that position. People talk about how Mississippi doesn’t produce them, yet I see where Alabama has taken two OT prospects from here the past two years and LSU is taking one this year.

gravedigger
01-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Mullen is not pleasant to deal with? You are way off on that. He may be hard on coaches (much better now than we he first started) but in general he is not like you think and has a great relationship with the vast majority of the players.

Believe what you will.

Really Clark?
01-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Believe what you will.

Believe what I have seen personally and what many players and their families have said privately (to me and others) and publically.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Believe what I have seen personally and what many players and their families have said privately (to me and others) and publically.

I'm sure Nick Saban is all peaches and cream...I remember Jackie Sherrill at a Bulldog Club meeting 20 something years ago saying "Somebody has to be the SOB"

Reason2succeed
01-02-2017, 05:53 PM
1) There are players that come with price tags attached on them that Mullen just isn't going to touch. Get used to it.
2) Mullen is a straight shooter and some players and parents don't want the truth because they can't hand the truth.
3) Mullen is going to just flat out miss on some players...like EVERY OTHER SCHOOL!

Todd4State
01-02-2017, 06:02 PM
1) There are players that come with price tags attached on them that Mullen just isn't going to touch. Get used to it.
2) Mullen is a straight shooter and some players and parents don't want the truth because they can't hand the truth. "Your kid was the best RB in high school but will get our QB killed."
3) Mullen is going to just flat out miss on some players...like EVERY OTHER SCHOOL!

I don't think there are as many kids with their hands out as some believe. Paul Jones even said as much yesterday. I think what happens a lot of times is a school like Ole Miss will offer money, parents jobs, cars, girlfriends who work at Hooter's first because they know that they can't the kid any other way and that's what starts the bidding as opposed to the kid just being give me ____. My guess is that's what likely happened with CJ Johnson ultimately. Where it becomes a problem for us unfortunately is the kid is willing to come here for less and we won't match it. The best way around it is to encourage the kid to take Ole Miss's money and then come to MSU anyway. Dan has done that a few times with success.

Dan needs to start missing less at a few position groups- mainly o-line and special teams. My problem is that it is has been a problem for awhile and nothing has been done to correct it.

maroonmania
01-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Here’s the big difference between Dan and Cohen- Cohen inherited a much worse situation when he took over. His first two years were rebuilding years- much like Howland’s was last year. The rest of his tenure he went to a SR, won the SEC Tournament, went to Omaha, went to a regional as a two seed, had a losing season, and then won the SEC and went to a SR. Just like with Dan- I’m not happy with how the 2013 season and last season ended. I can tolerate how those ended a little bit better because unlike Dan we didn’t do anything overtly nonsensical like 1A/1B that kind of makes you wonder “What if”.

I'll add to that that one of the reasons that Cohen was highly successful before he got to MSU and while here was the emphasis he put on recruiting. Much moreso than Mullen does. While I understand that recruiting in college football and college baseball are not apples to apples, you didn't get an assistants job with Cohen if you weren't a relentless and productive recruiter. Mullen, on the other hand, is willing to keep "buddies" on his staff that are actually hindrances to our recruiting efforts.