PDA

View Full Version : It's obvious that the method of picking the four isn't working.

Jack Lambert
12-31-2016, 07:54 PM
Washington should not have been there and OSU looks horrible right now. I guess that could change.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 08:00 PM
I didn't think Washington looked awful. Without Scarborough's 1 big run, I thought the defense actually played pretty tough.

Without their Pick 6 the game would have been respectable. Bama's D is just murder

Jack Lambert
12-31-2016, 08:02 PM
I didn't think Washington looked awful. Without Scarborough's 1 big run, I thought the defense actually played pretty tough.

Without their Pick 6 the game would have been respectable. Bama's D is just murder

Their offensive line looked pungy, the defensive line looked small. There are better teams out there. Maybe USC should have been the one. They did beat Washington.

Reason2succeed
12-31-2016, 08:04 PM
I thought Washington played them as well as any good SEC team played them.

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2016, 08:05 PM
I still don't understand why they didn't keep the BCS formula and picke the top 4 from that. The formula usually has the top 4-6 teams pretty dead on.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Their offensive line looked pungy, the defensive line looked small. There are better teams out there. Maybe USC should have been the one. They did beat Washington.

Not sure how you would put a 3 loss USC team over Washington, but I definitely think USC is better

bluelightstar
12-31-2016, 08:06 PM
I still don't understand why they didn't keep the BCS formula and picke the top 4 from that. The formula usually has the top 4-6 teams pretty dead on.

And the BCS formula has picked the same 4 teams as the committee each three years so far, I believe.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 08:09 PM
And the BCS formula has picked the same 4 teams as the committee each three years so far, I believe.

It has

Jack Lambert
12-31-2016, 08:11 PM
I thought Washington played them as well as any good SEC team played them.
We had 100 more yard offense then they did on Bama.

Jack Lambert
12-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Not sure how you would put a 3 loss USC team over Washington, but I definitely think USC is better
The same insane way you put a team who did not play in their Conference championship game and lost to the conference champion in. We want the best four teams and we are not getting it.

TUSK
12-31-2016, 08:13 PM
I dunno who "got it right", but I do know this:

teams that most "scare" me right now... USC, FSU, Clemson, OSU... in no particular order...

msstate7
12-31-2016, 08:21 PM
We had 100 more yard offense then they did on Bama.

They beat us by 48

Jack Lambert
12-31-2016, 08:30 PM
They beat us by 48
I'm not saying we should have been there. Our defense sucked. However I could easily find teams that would beat Washington 9 out of 10 times. It's not right to hold a team with three loses out because of three loses when they play a tougher schedule then the team that only had one. That's what happened.

Dawgface
12-31-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm fine with the 4 selected. There will always be complaints on whatever formula is used and who is left out of the playoffs.

TimberBeast
12-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Washington should not have been there and OSU looks horrible right now. I guess that could change.

It was never going to work, the BCS was fine as it was, at least compared to this.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 09:17 PM
It was never going to work, the BCS was fine as it was, at least compared to this.

The BCS formula had the same 4 teams so this should be fine as well, no?

parabrave
12-31-2016, 09:18 PM
Well so far the Big 10s top 2 isn't getting it done. If USCW beats Penn State I guess they were the overhyped Conf. Anyway Bamas gonna steamroll either Clemson or OS next week.

Quaoarsking
12-31-2016, 09:23 PM
The BCS formula wasn't mathematically valid, at least not the computer models. Only 1 of the 6 computer formulas was created by someone with a statistics background, the other 5 were just random people messing around with Excel. Also, 5 of the 6 formulas were secret, so there was no way to check them and see if they were right. That may not seem like a big deal, but the 1 that had its formula publicly available (and therefore auditable) did make a mistake in 2010 that affected the final rankings, and after the pairings were announced they had to reissue the BCS standings. Thankfully it didn't end up affecting the placements, but who knows whether something like this ever happened with one of the secret, non-mathematical computer polls.

I agree that the Committee isn't ideal and would prefer an objective formula to pick the teams, but we definitely shouldn't go back to the BCS.

TUSK
12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm not saying we should have been there. Our defense sucked. However I could easily find teams that would beat Washington 9 out of 10 times. It's not right to hold a team with three loses out because of three loses when they play a tougher schedule then the team that only had one. That's what happened.

Jack, you bring up an excellent point... part of me says "losses" shouldn't be a factor in penalizing teams regarding their CFP hopes, especially if their SOS is high...

msstate7
12-31-2016, 09:33 PM
8 team tourney... P5 champs and top 3 at large according to AP and coaches' poll avg

TUSK
12-31-2016, 09:33 PM
The BCS formula wasn't mathematically valid, at least not the computer models. Only 1 of the 6 computer formulas was created by someone with a statistics background, the other 5 were just random people messing around with Excel. Also, 5 of the 6 formulas were secret, so there was no way to check them and see if they were right. That may not seem like a big deal, but the 1 that had its formula publicly available (and therefore auditable) did make a mistake in 2010 that affected the final rankings, and after the pairings were announced they had to reissue the BCS standings. Thankfully it didn't end up affecting the placements, but who knows whether something like this ever happened with one of the secret, non-mathematical computer polls.

I agree that the Committee isn't ideal and would prefer an objective formula to pick the teams, but we definitely shouldn't go back to the BCS.

I may not dig your politics, Q, but I dig the intellect and process...

you nailed the shit outta that, buddy!

shit should be more transparent, IMO...

Commercecomet24
12-31-2016, 09:49 PM
The power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large in the playoffs. IMO

Quaoarsking
12-31-2016, 09:59 PM
I agree with the 5+3 format and would also reserve 1 of the at larges for a non-P5 team. This would usually give an extra reward for being #1 (especially now that Utah and TCU are P5 teams) so that teams would keep playing hard after they know they're in, because usually the non-P5 team is going to be the clear #8 seed.

This year, it might look something like this:
8 Western Michigan @ 1 Alabama
5 Michigan @ 4 Washington

6 Penn State @ 3 Ohio State
7 Oklahoma @ 2 Clemson

I'm not wild about the rematch, but since Ohio State played 5, 6, and 7, it was unavoidable. Play the quarterfinals during mid-December on campus, and then you have a top 4 on NYD like normal. If you can't make the playoffs in this format, you really don't have any room to complain.

Gutter Cobreh
12-31-2016, 10:05 PM
I agree with the 5+3 format and would also reserve 1 of the at larges for a non-P5 team. This would usually give an extra reward for being #1 (especially now that Utah and TCU are P5 teams) so that teams would keep playing hard after they know they're in, because usually the non-P5 team is going to be the clear #8 seed.

7 Oklahoma @ 2 Clemson

I'm not wild about the rematch, but since Ohio State played 5, 6, and 7, it was unavoidable. Play the quarterfinals during mid-December on campus, and then you have a top 4 on NYD like normal. If you can't make the playoffs in this format, you really don't have any room to complain.

I'd just do away with conference championships as well. They proved this year with Penn State being left out that those games don't really matter. That frees up a week to potentially play a game.

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 10:09 PM
Well so far the Big 10s top 2 isn't getting it done. If USCW beats Penn State I guess they were the overhyped Conf. Anyway Bamas gonna steamroll either Clemson or OS next week.

Ha! Not gonna happen. I wish I could shake your hand & bet you that Bama does not steamroll Clem. Hurts hasn't seen a defense like Clemson's. Tough task for any freshman qb.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:10 PM
So who gets in ahead of them? They got it right except for Ohio State. Whoever might have replaced them
Would have probabaly got the same.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Ha! Not gonna happen. I wish I could shake your hand & bet you that Bama does not steamroll Clem. Hurts hasn't seen a defense like Clemson's. Tough task for any freshman qb.
He did today.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:13 PM
I'd just do away with conference championships as well. They proved this year with Penn State being left out that those games don't really matter. That frees up a week to potentially play a game.

Nope, they should take them into account. OSU shouldn't have been in there in any shape form or fashion.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2016, 10:13 PM

7 Oklahoma @ 2 Clemson

I like it! It would make conference championships meaningful and also give a non p5 team a chance. I would rather have it decided by on field play as to who gets in the playoffs than by a committee. Let's make it happen!

Commercecomet24
12-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Nope, they should take them into account. OSU shouldn't have been in there in any shape form or fashion.

Exactly! Conference champions need to mean something.

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 10:15 PM
He did today.

Ha, ha, ha, ha. You think Washington's defense is like Clemson's? Whatever. Just for the record I've seen them both play in person & it ain't.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:18 PM
The power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large in the playoffs. IMO

Power Five champs, the best Group of 5 champ, and two at large.

Bucky Dog
12-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Two best teams will be in the finals. Nobody is close to Bama. And Bama is untouchable.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Ha, ha, ha, ha. You think Washington's defense is like Clemson's? Whatever. Just for the record I've seen them both play in person & it ain't.
They are better actually. I've seen both multiple times. It won't matter, Bama wins.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2016, 10:24 PM
Power Five champs, the best Group of 5 champ, and two at large.

Yep and it would make for an exciting regular season too!

msstate7
12-31-2016, 10:29 PM
Two best teams will be in the finals. Nobody is close to Bama. And Bama is untouchable.

I don't know... this Clemson team is looking impressive. Here's a little look at some big stats...

Total offense...
Bama #24, Clemson #12

Total defense...
Bama #1, Clemson #8

Sacks...
Bama #5, Clemson #3

Sacks allowed...
Bama #35, Clemson #11

Scoring offense...
Bama #12, Clemson #14

Scoring defense...
Bama #1, Clemson #11

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 10:30 PM
They are better actually. I've seen both multiple times. It won't matter, Bama wins.

You've seen them both multiple times in person? You're arguing just to argue now. The more talented underclassmen are playing more & they're much more effective. My wife is from Clemson so I know a good but about them. Bama may win but they won't steamroll them.

Do you think Washington would have shutout OSU?

TimberBeast
12-31-2016, 10:42 PM
The BCS formula had the same 4 teams so this should be fine as well, no?

The BCS would have bama playing Clemson, just like we have for the NC. Did we need these other two "playoff" games? The BCS was never a problem.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 10:44 PM
You've seen them both multiple times in person? You're arguing just to argue now. The more talented underclassmen are playing more & they're much more effective. My wife is from Clemson so I know a good but about them. Bama may win but they won't steamroll them.

Not in person obviously. Have YOU seen both multiple times in person? If so you might be the only one. Bama wins. And yes, Washington would have shut out a team that couldn't even win their division, much less their conference.

sandwolf
12-31-2016, 10:49 PM

What does seeing them in person have to do with anything? The views are a hell of a lot better on TV.

For the record, I agree that Clemson's defense is better than Washington's.....but your seeing those teams in person doesn't make your opinion any more credible.

HSVDawg
12-31-2016, 10:52 PM

Did you even watch USC vs. Bama earlier in the year?

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-31-2016, 11:01 PM

OSU had one less loss and had an extra quality win in Oklahoma. Which is a game that they went out and chose the schedule. OSU had a better resume in every aspect but holding the conference championship. Which should definitely count for something, but it shouldn't count for everything.

If OSU had lost to Nebraska and beat Penn State, they would have made the conference championship and everyone would say they were an easy playoff choice. Despite Nebraska being much worse than Penn State.

smootness
12-31-2016, 11:10 PM

What better method could possibly select USC over Washington?

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 11:14 PM
Not in person obviously. Have YOU seen both multiple times in person? If so you might be the only one. Bama wins. And yes, Washington would have shut out a team that couldn't even win their division, much less their conference.

Still arguing just to argue...

TUSK
12-31-2016, 11:19 PM
dayum, some of yall should watch more football...

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 11:20 PM
What does seeing them in person have to do with anything? The views are a hell of a lot better on TV.

For the record, I agree that Clemson's defense is better than Washington's.....but your seeing those teams in person doesn't make your opinion any more credible.

I disagree. Its another perspective & you see things in person that you necessarily don't see on tv. You get to know players better & what their tendecies are. I admit I don't know Washington as well as Clem, but seeing Clem in person, as well as on tv, multple times help. Do coaches & scouts only watch film? The combine is in person.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 11:25 PM

Actually his in person argument DOES carry some weight. You get a much better feel in person than you do on TV. That being said he didn't say he had seen Bama in person. Bama wins. It might be close, or it might not be, they still win...................the bastards.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 11:28 PM
Did you even watch USC vs. Bama earlier in the year?

USC is a HELL of a lot better than they were the first game of the year. FIGHT ON!

HSVDawg
12-31-2016, 11:31 PM
USC is a HELL of a lot better than they were the first game of the year. FIGHT ON!

So is Bama. And Washington. What's your point?

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Actually his in person argument DOES carry some weight. You get a much better feel in person than you do on TV. That being said he didn't say he had seen Bama in person. Bama wins. It might be close, or it might not be, they still win...................the bastards.

Respect. And like I said, Bama may win but it won't be of the steamrolling variety. Which was basically my point to begin with.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 11:35 PM
Still arguing just to argue...

Have you seen Bama in person? If not then your argument is moot.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 11:37 PM
So is Bama. And Washington. What's your point?

Bama wins against them all, tomorrow. My point there is I'm a BIG USC fan.

TUSK
12-31-2016, 11:40 PM
I dunno if Bammer is gonna win the NC, or not.... clemson is pretty good...

But, I do know this: If Bama plays well, it won't matter who they are playing...

they. will. slay.

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 11:40 PM
Have you seen Bama in person? If not then your argument is moot.

No my argument wasn't if Bama wins or not, it was if they would "steamroll Clem. And they won't. And my argument with you if Washington's defense is better than Clemson's. I know Clemson's defense is better. Seeing Bama in person has nothing to do with those arguments really.

But for the record, Clemson has a good chance to win.

tireddawg
12-31-2016, 11:43 PM
I dunno if Bammer is gonna win the NC, or not.... clemson is pretty good...

But, I do know this: If Bama plays well, it won't matter who they are playing...

they. will. slay.

So it doesn't matter how well the other team plays? You better pray the Clemson defense that played OSU doesn't show up against Bama. Could be a long day for Hurts if so.

TUSK
12-31-2016, 11:46 PM
So it doesn't matter how well the other team plays?

you are correct.

HSVDawg
12-31-2016, 11:46 PM
Bama wins against them all, tomorrow. My point there is I'm a BIG USC fan.

Thats cool. They are a good program. But they had absolutely no business in the playoff this year.

Quaoarsking
01-01-2017, 12:00 AM
The BCS would have bama playing Clemson, just like we have for the NC. Did we need these other two "playoff" games? The BCS was never a problem.

Sure it was. Just 2 years ago, the BCS would have matched up Florida State (13-0) and Alabama (12-1), and the team that actually earned the championship (Ohio State, also 12-1) would have gotten virtually no consideration for the title game.

We'll never know how many times that happened between 1998 and 2013, but there were almost certainly at least a few years in which a team that didn't finish in the top 2 would have won a playoff and deserved the title.

tireddawg
01-01-2017, 12:10 AM
you are correct.

We'll see. Don't forget to say you're prayers. Nighty night...

sandwolf
01-01-2017, 12:25 AM
I disagree. Its another perspective & you see things in person that you necessarily don't see on tv. You get to know players better & what their tendecies are. I admit I don't know Washington as well as Clem, but seeing Clem in person, as well as on tv, multple times help. Do coaches & scouts only watch film? The combine is in person.

When it comes to scouting individual players, I agree that it is advantageous to see them in person. But as far as judging the quality of a defense as a whole, I see no advantage to watching in person versus on tv.

TUSK
01-01-2017, 12:43 AM
We'll see. Don't forget to say you're prayers. Nighty night...

El oh el.

Bet or STFU.

QuadrupleOption
01-01-2017, 01:50 AM

The Big 10's been overhyped every year for the last twenty years. In 2006 Michigan and Ohio State played what was heralded by ESPN as the "Game of the Century". Michigan ended up losing by 3 points, 42-39.

Everyone picked Ohio State to trash their opponent that year - a lowly Florida team from the crappy SEC. Florida beat the shit out of them from the opening drive.

It was ridiculous then, and it's ridiculous now. The Big 10 sucks as they are sitting at 2-5 in bowl games currently and will probably be no better than 3-7 when it's all said and done. It's the only reason the SEC isn't getting hammered as being overrated.

Todd4State
01-01-2017, 02:02 AM
The Big 10's been overhyped every year for the last twenty years. In 2006 Michigan and Ohio State played what was heralded by ESPN as the "Game of the Century". Michigan ended up losing by 3 points, 42-39.

Everyone picked Ohio State to trash their opponent that year - a lowly Florida team from the crappy SEC. Florida beat the shit out of them from the opening drive.

It was ridiculous then, and it's ridiculous now. The Big 10 sucks as they are sitting at 2-5 in bowl games currently and will probably be no better than 3-7 when it's all said and done. It's the only reason the SEC isn't getting hammered as being overrated.

I never have understood the media's love for the Big 10 and the media wanting them to be just as good as the SEC. It is what it is and the fact that they have to hold satellite camps to try to get equal players proves that. The fact of the matter is the only teams in America that have a legit shot at a NC are USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State (maybe), Michigan State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and the SEC except for Vanderbilt and yes including us and Ole Miss.

tireddawg
01-01-2017, 02:02 AM
El oh el.

Bet or STFU.

Not a betting man, but if Bama wins you can come on here & say I told you so , if Clem wins I'll tell you it's ok buddy, I known it hurts.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-01-2017, 09:47 AM
If Bama plays well, then they win. But I have these visions of Lane Kiffin and terrible play calling and his mind being elsewhere.

Jack Lambert
01-01-2017, 10:20 AM
If Bama plays well, then they win. But I have these visions of Lane Kiffin and terrible play calling and his mind being elsewhere.

He was almost in that spot last night. Run the damn ball and stop trying to be fancy. I think he was working out his own play book for when he gets to Florida.

parabrave
01-01-2017, 10:28 AM
He was almost in that spot last night. Run the damn ball and stop trying to be fancy. I think he was working out his own play book for when he gets to Florida.

Yep Saban gave him a nationally viewed tongue lashing again last night.

msbulldog
01-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Yep Saban gave him a nationally viewed tongue lashing again last night.

Yeah and he said on national TV "snap the 17ing ball" several times.

HSVDawg
01-01-2017, 02:37 PM
I never have understood the media's love for the Big 10 and the media wanting them to be just as good as the SEC. It is what it is and the fact that they have to hold satellite camps to try to get equal players proves that. The fact of the matter is the only teams in America that have a legit shot at a NC are USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State (maybe), Michigan State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and the SEC except for Vanderbilt and yes including us and Ole Miss.

I'd add a few teams to that list, such as Nebraska, Washington, Oklahoma State, and Oregon and also take out several SEC schools (including us, OM, USCe, Ark, Mizzou, And Kentucky) until proven otherwise. None of those SEC teams listed have come close to being in the NC discussion for 50+ years and just don't have the resources as of now.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-01-2017, 02:47 PM

If Kiffin goes stupid with the play calling, Clemson can win.

Intramural All-American
01-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Dang, y'all sure do have a short memory. All of y'all claiming Bama is going to steamroll clemson, do you not remember last year? Everyone said the same thing last year, and Clemson put up a dang good fight, and Watson absolutely abused Bama's vaunted D. Y'all must not remember that Clemson's best receiver last year broke his neck early in the season and didn't play in that game. He's back, and he's a beast. You also may have forgotten that Clemson's leading receiver last year got suspended for the championship game the week of the game. He'll be playing too. You also may have forgotten that Mackenzie Alexander (Clemson's best DB) pulled his hammy in the first quarter last year and had to sit the rest of the game. He is gone this year, but his presence definitely could have changed the outcome of last year's game.

Bama may blow them out this year, but it's pretty foolish to expect that.

TUSK
01-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Dang, y'all sure do have a short memory. All of y'all claiming Bama is going to steamroll clemson, do you not remember last year? Everyone said the same thing last year, and Clemson put up a dang good fight, and Watson absolutely abused Bama's vaunted D. Y'all must not remember that Clemson's best receiver last year broke his neck early in the season and didn't play in that game. He's back, and he's a beast. You also may have forgotten that Clemson's leading receiver last year got suspended for the championship game the week of the game. He'll be playing too. You also may have forgotten that Mackenzie Alexander (Clemson's best DB) pulled his hammy in the first quarter last year and had to sit the rest of the game. He is gone this year, but his presence definitely could have changed the outcome of last year's game.

Bama may blow them out this year, but it's pretty foolish to expect that.

I think it's "Bama Fatigue" that causes some to have bi-polar like assessments of the Tide...

HSVDawg
01-01-2017, 08:50 PM
I think it's "Bama Fatigue" that causes some to have bi-polar like assessments of the Tide...

I think of it this way....if both teams play perfect or close to perfect (which is pretty much what happened last year), Bama wins a close one. If one team doesn't play perfect, it's likely the other team will win if they don't turn it over or have special teams miscues. Bama has more margin of error, but not by much.

War Machine Dawg
01-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Or maybe...just maybe...it's what many of us have said all along: It's Bama...gap...Clemson...HUGE GAP...everyone else. It didn't matter who the other 2 teams were. Bama & Clemson have been the best two all year and it was never close. And frankly, I've thought Clemson is the only team with even a half chance to knock off the Evil Empire. If they can't do it, I don't know who can. The committee got the right 4 this year. It's not their fault that their are only two teams who should have been there.