PDA

View Full Version : Taxslayer bowl

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:09 AM
Random's favorite team down 7-0 after fumble returned for td

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:19 AM
I know everyone here hates the triple option, but I think I'd like it when Mullen does move on. This state would produce great option qb's and rb's

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 11:22 AM
GT just looks like a nightmare to defend. I've still got nightmares about that Orange Bowl.

I do wonder though, would Bama or LSU be even more unbeatable if they ran GT's offense?

I realize they won't ever do that because it would hurt recruiting, but it just seems like if the offense works this well for inferior talent, how well would it work for superior talent?

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 11:25 AM
I know everyone here hates the triple option, but I think I'd like it when Mullen does move on. This state would produce great option qb's and rb's

I do think we'd be pretty dirty with it, especially if no one else ran it.

I doubt LSU or Bama would go to it because it would hurt their WR & OL recruiting, but, since we can't recruit good OL or WRs anyway, it would seem to be a good fit us.

That being said, I think it's difficult to improve your brand or national profile by going to that offense.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:28 AM
GT just looks like a nightmare to defend. I've still got nightmares about that Orange Bowl.

I do wonder though, would Bama or LSU be even more unbeatable if they ran GT's offense?

I realize they won't ever do that because it would hurt recruiting, but it just seems like if the offense works this well for inferior talent, how well would it work for superior talent?

It would hurt us with wr's, olinemen, and obviously big time qb's, but RBs would come. An option qb would be no problem recruiting Mississippi and Alabama. Oline is about technique in the system, thus great talent isn't a necessity. I would love to play defense for an option team... lots of rest between drives

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2016, 11:32 AM
I say this as being someone who really loves the wishbone, and was a huge fan of Erk Russell and what he did at Georgia Southern - The problem with running the Triple option is that it is seen as a system to does not produce athletes that go on to the next level. Especially at QB. Because of this, you limit the athletes willing to choose your program.

I do wish we would incorporate some of it into our down and distance running game. I've seen Fitz run it, and it is beautiful.

Gutter Cobreh
12-31-2016, 11:35 AM
I do think we'd be pretty dirty with it, especially if no one else ran it.

I doubt LSU or Bama would go to it because it would hurt their WR & OL recruiting, but, since we can't recruit good OL or WRs anyway, it would seem to be a good fit us.

That being said, I think it's difficult to improve your brand or national profile by going to that offense.

Not sure about that. Pretty sure GT had both Megatron and Demaryius Thomas as WRs, while running the triple option. Granted they changed after Johnson was on campus, but they've produced some high quality WRs running the option.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:35 AM
I do wish we would incorporate some of it into our down and distance running game. I've seen Fitz run it, and it is beautiful.

If '18 is our year to compete again, could you imagine if we broke it out to start a game vs lsu, bama, or auburn? It would be a total shock and most likely steal us a td or 2 before they could adjust

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Not sure about that. Pretty sure GT had both Megatron and Demaryius Thomas as WRs, while running the triple option. Granted they changed after Johnson was on campus, but they've produced some high quality WRs running the option.

NFL loves big physical wr's that can block. They'll certainly learn to block and they'll also hit a bunch of hr's

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Back to the game - Tech looks good. I've known their Safeties coach my whole life. Great guy and coach. Hope the Jackets pull it out.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Why does GT have chicken wire on their helmets?

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 11:53 AM
LSU and unbeatable have no business being in the same sentence.

Also, They just hired a half wit as their head football coach. They just became even more beatable.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
The Spread is a modern version of the Triple Option.... watching Air Force yesterday their offense was actually pretty fun to watch....With Fitz you could easily incorporate more Triple option into the game plan ....

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2016, 12:02 PM
Why does GT have chicken wire on their helmets?

That's supposed to be honeycomb inspired.

And the correct term is "poultry containment units". Chicken wire is so gouache.

lamont
12-31-2016, 12:46 PM
LSU just hired a real OC. They are going to be even harder to beat now

msstate7
12-31-2016, 12:53 PM

I agree with this. Need to get them a real qb now

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Maybe. They are going to have to upgrade from Etling to make leaps of progress & open things up.

The biggest issue I see at LSU is, if Aranda or Canada have any real success, both are going to be top head coaching candidates extremely quick.

This is the dice you roll when you hire a head coach that is not an elite coordinator on one side of the ball. My guess is that Orgeron has to replace both coordinators in the next three years. If not, LSU probably isn't much better than they are now.

Orgeron is going to have a tough time maintaining an identity, whereas as head coaches that have real expertise on side of the ball like Saban, Meyer, Dantonio, Petrino, etc don't have that issue.

They may take a step forward offensively, but I expect there to be instability there.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 01:03 PM
This is why Stoops will never turn the corner. Doesn't have the temperament

Keith Farmer
‏@KeithFarmer18
Report: At half Coach Stoops kicked the ref locker room door. Knocked over a Gatorade cooler. They had to pull him back to the locker room.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Maybe. They are going to have to upgrade from Etling to make leaps of progress & open things up.

The biggest issue I see at LSU is, if Aranda or Canada have any real success, both are going to be top head coaching candidates extremely quick.

This is the dice you roll when you hire a head coach that is not an elite coordinator on one side of the ball. My guess is that Orgeron has to replace both coordinators in the next three years. If not, LSU probably isn't much better than they are now.

Orgeron is going to have a tough time maintaining an identity, whereas as head coaches that have real expertise on side of the ball like Saban, Meyer, Dantonio, Petrino, etc don't have that issue.

They may take a step forward offensively, but I expect there to be instability there.

Yeah, I say aranda rides key to a HC job next season

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I say aranda rides key to a HC job next season

Yup. If Geoff Collins just got the Temple job, I fully expect Aranda to get a similar type job next year.

As for Canada, if he turns around LSU's offense, he's going to be Lane Kiffin without the baggage. Which means he'll be a head coach within a year or two. I just see LSU being an unstable situation for Eddy O. His greatest skill at LSU will have to be his hiring ability.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Yup. If Geoff Collins just got the Temple job, I fully expect Aranda to get a similar type job next year.

As for Canada, if he turns around LSU's offense, he's going to be Lane Kiffin without the baggage. Which means he'll be a head coach within a year or two. I just see LSU being an unstable situation for Eddy O. His greatest skill at LSU will have to be his hiring ability.

Well if he's turning coordinators into HCs and continuing to recruit big time, I think getting the best coordinators could be pretty easy

IMissJack
12-31-2016, 01:37 PM

They are also right in the middle of the ATL and that helps recruit a few players also.

lamont
12-31-2016, 01:39 PM

And thats fine. When they are both successful- LSU will have an easy time replacing them with another top coordinator. They have the money to pay and its easy to recruit there.

They have to roll with Etling/Harris one more year- while they bring more QB talent in. With their OL and WR talent- plus Guice- they will score enough most nights to win games in 2017. Hell, if Etling starts the season at QB- they end up 9-2 instead of 7-4

Todd4State
12-31-2016, 02:00 PM
And thats fine. When they are both successful- LSU will have an easy time replacing them with another top coordinator. They have the money to pay and its easy to recruit there.

They have to roll with Etling/Harris one more year- while they bring more QB talent in. With their OL and WR talent- plus Guice- they will score enough most nights to win games in 2017. Hell, if Etling starts the season at QB- they end up 9-2 instead of 7-4

Coach O already lost out on the top QB in Louisiana this year.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2016, 02:09 PM
This is why Stoops will never turn the corner. Doesn't have the temperament

Keith Farmer
‏@KeithFarmer18
Report: At half Coach Stoops kicked the ref locker room door. Knocked over a Gatorade cooler. They had to pull him back to the locker room.

Meanwhile, he punted on 4th and 6, down 17 points on the opponents 36 yard line. What an idiot these college coaches are..except you Pat Fitzgerald.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 02:18 PM
LSU isn't such an amazing job. They were never that great before Saban, and their decline will be accelerated now.

For someone who cites historical records of MSU baseball all the time, and claims we are not a top 5 program (which i happen to agree with) you certainly have to see that LSU really isn't a historic football power. Now they have hired a buffoon to run the program. I do not see a bright future for the Tigers.

However, I do think Canada is a good coordinator

HoopsDawg
12-31-2016, 02:23 PM
LSU isn't such an amazing job. They were never that great before Saban, and their decline will be accelerated now.

Wow, this is just incredible. Do you really feel that way? I need to give up message boards.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 02:28 PM
Wow, this is just incredible. Do you really feel that way? I need to give up message boards.

Yes I do. I don't get why people think LSU is so unstoppable.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 02:33 PM

I don't think they're unstoppable and I don't think winning big is a given for them, but they do have more potential than 95% of college football teams. They have money, great fans, facilities, and a great recruiting base with no in-state rival

lamont
12-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Coach O already lost out on the top QB in Louisiana this year.

depends on the service- Narcisse is rated higher on some

I think both will be outstanding players

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't think they're unstoppable and I don't think winning big is a given for them, but they do have more potential than 95% of college football teams. They have money, great fans, facilities, and a great recruiting base with no in-state rival

I agree with you. They have potential, but they always have had this potential and really didn't do much with it until Saban got there. I think it is a good job, but certainly not the best like some on this board claim it to be. For example, I think Tennessee is a pretty comparable job to LSU, but no one on the this board thinks they are worth a crap. LSU just gets a level of respect that I do not think is deserved.

lamont
12-31-2016, 02:48 PM

They recruit top 6-7 in the country
They have one of the country's top DC'
They now have a competent OC and have rid themselves of Miles/Cam 1990's offense
O will have those SOB's playing hard every week

HoopsDawg
12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
I agree with you. They have potential, but they always have had this potential and really didn't do much with it until Saban got there. I think it is a good job, but certainly not the best like some on this board claim it to be. For example, I think Tennessee is a pretty comparable job to LSU, but no one on the this board thinks they are worth a crap. LSU just gets a level of respect that I do not think is deserved.

B/C there is no comparison between the talent in the state of LA and the talent in TN. And almost every kid in LA grows up dreaming about becoming a Tiger. Then they go to TX, MS, or almost anywhere to finish up their class with 4 star plus talent. The LSU job is easily a Top 5 job, and probably a Top 3 job.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 02:56 PM

I don't think LSU & Tennessee are anywhere near being the same job.

LSU has pronounced recruiting advantages over Tennessee & equal fan support.

LSU is the best job in the SEC IMO. I believe from a geographical sense it's easier to acquire talent at LSU than all other schools in the country except maybe USC & Ohio State.

At Alabama, FSU, Texas, Florida, Georgia,etc, you have to battle tons of other local programs to get talent, &, in Bama's case, you have to recruit nationally to compete at an elite level. At LSU you don't.

Now a coach like Saban & Fisher off set LSU's advantage, but, if FSU, Bama, LSU, Florida, & Georgia all had average coaches, I think LSU would be the best team.

lamont
12-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Bama is the best job in the SEC

Then I'd say LSU with Florida and Georgia close behind. Then comes Auburn and A&M

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 03:02 PM

Then I'd say LSU with Florida and Georgia close behind. Then comes Auburn and A&M

It's a difficult comparison because Alabama has had far greater coaches than LSU. I just think at the core, it's more difficult at Bama because you are always having to beat someone out for players. At LSU, for 3/4 of your recruiting class, you don't have to beat anyone out.

It's a good debate.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 03:02 PM

I think Florida is the best job

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2016, 03:10 PM
B/C there is no comparison between the talent in the state of LA and the talent in TN. And almost every kid in LA grows up dreaming about becoming a Tiger. Then they go to TX, MS, or almost anywhere to finish up their class with 4 star plus talent. The LSU job is easily a Top 5 job, and probably a Top 3 job.
And Bruce's point is that LSU - like a lot of schools- is one bad hire away from being back as an also-ran in the SEC. It may have all of those perceived advantages as power school, but until Saban they were not able to put all those pieces together for more than a 2-3 year period.

If Farmer Fran goes 8-4, 8-4, 7-5 and gets fired, LSU will have gone 6 years since a 10 win season - which means they will be recruiting kids who don't know them as a power school but as an also ran. It can start a spiral of mediocrity- especially if say Texas, AU or another school that recruits LA heavy replaces LSU as a "power" winning 10+ every year.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 03:24 PM
They recruit top 6-7 in the country
They have one of the country's top DC'
They now have a competent OC and have rid themselves of Miles/Cam 1990's offense
O will have those SOB's playing hard every week

I seem to remember seeing something similar to this before the season about LSU.

"9 NFL draft picks on D"
"#1 overall pick at RB"
"Blah Blah Blah"

But what really happened was another 4 loss season
Another loss to Saban
Another non Big 6 bowl
and a fired coach replaced by Ogeron

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Every kid in LA does not dreaming of playing for LSU. For example take our current QB recruit

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2016, 03:31 PM
It's a difficult comparison because Alabama has had far greater coaches than LSU. I just think at the core, it's more difficult at Bama because you are always having to beat someone out for players. At LSU, for 3/4 of your recruiting class, you don't have to beat anyone out.

It's a good debate.

Just because LSU is the only Power 5 school in the state does not mean that they barely compete with others for LA kids. Alabama routinely goes in there and gets kids, as does Texas AM, Arkansas, FSU, etc.

I am not saying it's not a good job. It is, but it does get over hyped.

lamont
12-31-2016, 03:36 PM
I think Florida is the best job

Fla doesnt have near the passion or facilities Bama has

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Boom Williams just declared for the draft.

See ya

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Just because LSU is the only Power 5 school in the state does not mean that they barely compete with others for LA kids. Alabama routinely goes in there and gets kids, as does Texas AM, Arkansas, FSU, etc.

I am not saying it's not a good job. It is, but it does get over hyped.

They are the only power 5 school in the state that has the highest per capita of NFL players in the country. It's a great situation & most of those kids grow up LSU fans.

No other schools except Ohio State & USC have a comparable recruiting ground & similar type situation

msstate7
12-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Fla doesnt have near the passion or facilities Bama has

They've got good enough facilities though and there's 4 and 5 stars everywhere. Their biggest sec rivals are Tennessee and Georgia who are pretty much never real contenders. Bama has auburn and lsu to contend with

msstate7
12-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Boom Williams just declared for the draft.

See ya

Big blow to Kentucky

lastmajordog
12-31-2016, 05:01 PM
Bellards last couple of teams shows pulling for an inept triple option team is terribly painful.....

lamont
12-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Big blow to Kentucky

Snell was a Freshman and ran for a 1,000....they should be ok as long as they have a back-up for him...Kentucky is recruiting well on the OL- they have to get better defensively. They return 9 starters- they should

msstate7
12-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Snell was a Freshman and ran for a 1,000....they should be ok as long as they have a back-up for him...Kentucky is recruiting well on the OL- they have to get better defensively.

Really like snell, but boom was the HR threat.