PDA

View Full Version : MSU Has Had Some Terrible Bowl Game Matchups

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Sitting here watching Tennessee & Nebraska & getting ready for the Cam Akers vs Meeeeechigan, & thought about all the MSU bowl games since Mullen has been here & realize, outside of playing Michigan in Mullen's first bowl game, the opponents have stunk & basically had no real following.

vs Michigan
vs Northwestern (Academic school)
vs Wake Forest (Academic school)
vs Georgia Tech (Academic school)
vs Rice (Academic school)
vs NC State (Meh)
vs Miami Ohio (Mac school)

Thing is, we've gone to some really good bowls & just drawn non-exciting opponents.

Sure would be nice to face a couple programs with real fan bases that can help create a hyped game in the next few years. Bad luck I guess

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Yeah, a big reason for our bowl success at 5-2 is all those weak opponents. I guess our best win is Michigan, but that was our best team against a horrible Michigan team with a lame duck coach.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Yeah, a big reason for our bowl success at 5-2 is all those weak opponents. I guess our best win is Michigan, but that was our best team against a horrible Michigan team with a lame duck coach.

I mean, it's not like Nebraska is a good team this year, but they have a big fan base, were in the Music City Bowl, & helped create a great atmosphere. We just keep playing clunkers.

Really wish the 2nd year of the Gator Bowl we could've drawn Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc or in the Orange Bowl we could've drawn FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc....

We just keep getting crappy opponents that bring nothing to the game.

PCHSDawg
12-30-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't know about lame duck, I specifically remember the commentators discussing Rich Rod keeping his job if he could win, of course it changed to "he gone".

RocketDawg
12-30-2016, 07:55 PM
I mean, it's not like Nebraska is a good team this year, but they have a big fan base, were in the Music City Bowl, & helped create a great atmosphere. We just keep playing clunkers.

Really wish the 2nd year of the Gator Bowl we could've drawn Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc or in the Orange Bowl we could've drawn FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc....

We just keep getting crappy opponents that bring nothing to the game.

I agree with you there. We opt to play a lousy OOC schedule (and most think that's a good thing because of our SEC schedule) so it would certainly be nice to play a major team in the bowl, even if we lose.

Maroonthirteen
12-30-2016, 08:03 PM
I remember we had a fantastic years in 1980 and 1998. We lost to Nebraska and Texas. It was a sour ending to both seasons.

It is more fun to win bowls regardless of opponent.

Reason2succeed
12-30-2016, 08:24 PM
It's not bad luck, coincidence, or happenstance. Bowl games are negotiated. It has everything to do with our national profile which definitely needs work. No AD or coach from a "blue blood program" wants to have to explain why they lost to Mississippi State.

(I hate everything about OM but you have to admit that those ****birds know how to sell themselves as a national brand even though they are not.)

RocketDawg
12-30-2016, 08:24 PM
I remember we had a fantastic years in 1980 and 1998. We lost to Nebraska and Texas. It was a sour ending to both seasons.

It is more fun to win bowls regardless of opponent.

Granted, winning is a lot more fun. But we lost to Northwestern and Georgia Tech. I'd rather lose to Ohio State or Florida State.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2016, 08:41 PM
It's not bad luck, coincidence, or happenstance. Bowl games are negotiated. It has everything to do with our national profile which definitely needs work. No AD or coach from a "blue blood program" wants to have to explain why they lost to Mississippi State.

(I hate everything about OM but you have to admit that those ****birds know how to sell themselves as a national brand even though they are not.)

Maybe, but this isn't what happened.

The years we were in those bowls who we played was who we were aligned to play. GT finished 2nd in the ACC in 2014. Northwestern finished well in the Big 10 the year of our 2nd Gator Bowl. So did Wake Forest when we went to the Music City.

It's really just been bad luck

gravedigger
12-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Yea, if you could overcome your urge to share your thoughts, that would be great.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Yea, if you could overcome your urge to share your thoughts, that would be great.

Wake Forest, Rice, Miami of Ohio, man those are some big time wins.