PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm saying 9-9 in SEC play.

Bucky Dog
12-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Looking at the schedule, we have some good home games on Saturdays, and we should have much better crowds for SEC games. I see our young guys improving, although they are still inconsistent at times, and I don't see any teams, other than UK and maybe FL, that are purely better or more talented than we are.

I see 9-9 and that locks us in the NIT at 18-12, and probably get in at 8-10 and 17-13. It will obviously take a 10-8 performance to get into NCAA, and I truly do not doubt this team is talented enough to do that. Will they? Let's see how fast they can grow up and play consistently hard on defense and gel as a team.

defiantdog
12-30-2016, 07:02 PM
I like this non-shaded perspective. Good job.

Homedawg
12-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Looking at the schedule, we have some good home games on Saturdays, and we should have much better crowds for SEC games. I see our young guys improving, although they are still inconsistent at times, and I don't see any teams, other than UK and maybe FL, that are purely better or more talented than we are.

I see 9-9 and that locks us in the NIT at 18-12, and probably get in at 8-10 and 17-13. It will obviously take a 10-8 performance to get into NCAA, and I truly do not doubt this team is talented enough to do that. Will they? Let's see how fast they can grow up and play consistently hard on defense and gel as a team.

First I don't think 10-8 is possible but even if we did our rpi won't be good enough to get in as an at large. But I'd be happy w that result no doubt.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2016, 07:11 PM
18-12 won't get a NIT bid neither will 19-11 get us into the NCAA. The NIT is a lot harder to get into than when Stans was here. We'll have to go 12-6 or better in the SEC to have a shot at the NCAA & even then it will depend on who those 12 are.

preachermatt83
12-30-2016, 07:23 PM
18-12 won't get a NIT bid neither will 19-11 get us into the NCAA. The NIT is a lot harder to get into than when Stans was here. We'll have to go 12-6 or better in the SEC to have a shot at the NCAA & even then it will depend on who those 12 are.

Agree with half of this. 19 wins won't even put us on the bubble of the NCAA tourney. I do think, however, that 18 wins gets us into the NIT.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Agree with half of this. 19 wins won't even put us on the bubble of the NCAA tourney. I do think, however, that 18 wins gets us into the NIT.

No, it won't. This has been covered pretty extensively. Our non-conference schedule was simply too weak. It will take 20 wins for this team to get into the NIT. This year is all about getting better. We should be able to make the NIT next year and the NCAA in 2018 if Q is still on the team.

lamont
12-30-2016, 07:48 PM
anything less than an NCAA bid next season will be underachieving

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 07:54 PM
anything less than an NCAA bid next season will be underachieving

Gotta to find a low post scorer. That means that either Herard makes a huge improvement or Garrison Brooks can provide something. Because right now, we start 2 stretch 4's and 3 guards.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Gotta to find a low post scorer. That means that either Herard makes a huge improvement or Garrison Brooks can provide something. Because right now, we start 2 stretch 4's and 3 guards.
Isn't that pretty much what Villanova did last year and won a natty?

Political Hack
12-30-2016, 09:38 PM
If we hit double digit losses in the regular season with our schedule we're not going to the NCAA tournament.

Either way, we're getting better and can actually have this discussion as conference play starts. Been a while since that's happened.

lamont
12-30-2016, 09:46 PM

you forgetting about Ado? He is supposed to be our best post player next year

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 09:53 PM
you forgetting about Ado? He is supposed to be our best post player next year

No, I didn't forget about him. He's a good screener and has potential to be a good defender and rebounder.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Not with a team as young as ours.

lamont
12-30-2016, 09:55 PM
If Ado handles the post defense and scores 6-7 points- and allows us to use Holman at the 4 and Keglar at the 3- teams will have problems handling us

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 09:55 PM

No. They had a guy that was 6'11, 250 and he could protect the rim and grab boards. He was a man.

I don't see Aric adding that much weight.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 09:57 PM
If Ado handles the post defense and scores 6-7 points- and allows us to use Holman at the 4 and Keglar at the 3- teams will have problems handling us

Keglar is just not going to play the 3. We are going to play a 3 guard lineup for sure. And I don't know how Howland can keep either Peters or Nick Spoon on the bench. You guys are going to love Lil Spoon. One of the most competitive kids I have ever seen. He is a Dawg and he attacks the basket. His shot keeps getting better too.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 10:16 PM

I'll be very pleasantly suprised if that happens. Both if we get to 9-9 in the SEC and if that gets us in the NIT. The NIT ain't as easy to get into as it was the last time we were in it.

lamont
12-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Keglar is just not going to play the 3. We are going to play a 3 guard lineup for sure. And I don't know how Howland can keep either Peters or Nick Spoon on the bench. You guys are going to love Lil Spoon. One of the most competitive kids I have ever seen. He is a Dawg and he attacks the basket. His shot keeps getting better too.

I can promise you that due to promises made during recruiting- Keglar will play the 3 some

Bucky Dog
12-30-2016, 10:34 PM

Yeah my math wasn't exactly right. We need 20 wins and 11-7 in SEC to get in NCAA, barring an upset of KY.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah my math wasn't exactly right. We need 20 wins and 11-7 in SEC to get in NCAA, barring an upset of KY.

That may get us on the bubble or close to it.

sleepy dawg
12-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Our RPI is currently around 179, which is 13th in the conference. Our SOS right now is around 130. I think we'll need to finish top 3 in the conference to be seriously considered for the tourny, which I highly doubt we'll do. Even the NIT is a long shot at this point. I would consider just making it to the NIT to be a huge success based on where we are now.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 11:21 AM
I can promise you that due to promises made during recruiting- Keglar will play the 3 some

Kegler will play the three next year. We aren't starting both Nick Weatherspoon and Peters two point guards next year. That would not put our best five out there. The four will be Brooks/Holman/Feazel. The three will be played by Kegler/Stapleton. The center position will be Ado/Herard. We will be in outstanding shape with the starting five and depth wise. We are only playing Kegler at the four out of necessity this year. Here is what I think our starting five depth will look like next year:

PG - Nick Weatherspoon starts/Lamar Peters off bench
SG - Q Weatherspoon starts/ Tyson Carter off bench
SF - Mario Kegler starts/ X Stapleton off bench
PF - Holman starts/ Brooks and Feazel off bench
C - Ado starts/ Herard off bench

Speculation wise I think anyone I didn't name above that's on the roster could be players that could decide to transfer. Just not enough minutes to go around once we add this new crop to the mix. I think next year will be a good challenge for Howland to have in that we will have the most talented roster we have ever had at MSU just need to give everyone the minutes they need to keep them happy.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 11:26 AM

We are playing a three guard lineup this year out of necessity. We recruited Kegler as a SF not a stretch four. Otherwise, why did we go after Davis and Huell then recruit Brooks and Feazel? Kegler will start at the three next year. Now does that mean we won't play him at the four some depending on how we match up with a smaller team? Sure. However, we will start Kegler at the three in most circumstances next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 12:16 PM
If Kegler is starting at the 3 then we're not playing our best lineup.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 12:42 PM

Then we shouldn't recruit Kegler to play the three if we don't want him to play the three. That's dumb recruiting.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 12:46 PM

The starting five I put up above gives us the best chance to have a special season next year. If we do the three guard lineup again next year if we don't have to, well that's on Howland and puts us at big time disadvantages where we don't have to have them.

msstate7
12-31-2016, 12:55 PM
The starting five I put up above gives us the best chance to have a special season next year. If we do the three guard lineup again next year if we don't have to, well that's on Howland and puts us at big time disadvantages where we don't have to have them.

Could kegler guard a 3? I say no chance he could guard our 3 (Q)

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:00 PM

By next year, sure. As a true freshman? Maybe not. Could a three guard Kegler? Nope. We have a chance at a very legitimate big frontline that would dominate both offensively and defensively with two erasers (Holman/Ado) at the four and five and you are splitting hairs on one defensive position?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 01:12 PM

He can't that's why if he's ever our full time 3 we're going to struggle.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 01:13 PM

That's not our best lineup I'm sorry.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:24 PM
He can't that's why if he's ever our full time 3 we're going to struggle.

He can improve and get to that point where he can defend the three or small forward position by next year. You are acting like it's a forgone conclusion that he will never be able to defend the small forward position. At 6'7 220, he is not a four at the next level. I'd prefer Q to play his natural position and play the shooting guard with Nick Weatherspoon playing the point guard. I'd like Holman to play his natural position of the stretch four with Ado at the center. That IMO is the best starting five. We currently are playing three of our five starting five out of position this year. That is not by design.

lamont
12-31-2016, 01:29 PM

Q couldnt handle Keglar either- works both ways

lamont
12-31-2016, 01:31 PM
We will do both next year because we can- it gives our line-up great versatility.

We will go big and play Keg at the 3- we will go smaller and put him at the 4.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:34 PM
We will do both next year because we can- it gives our line-up great versatility.

We will go big and play Keg at the 3- we will go smaller and put him at the 4.

Oh I agree. But I think the starting five I mentioned earlier will be our natural starting five. If we play a smaller team, we will go small. This roster has the versatility to do both.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 01:38 PM
He can improve and get to that point where he can defend the three or small forward position by next year. You are acting like it's a forgone conclusion that he will never be able to defend the small forward position. At 6'7 220, he is not a four at the next level. I'd prefer Q to play his natural position and play the shooting guard with Nick Weatherspoon playing the point guard. I'd like Holman to play his natural position of the stretch four with Ado at the center. That IMO is the best starting five. We currently are playing three of our five starting five out of position this year. That is not by design.

That's kind of my point he's not a 3 at the next level either. He's a classic tweener. That's not a knock on him just the truth. He can present mismatches at the 4 not as much at the 3. IMO he best serves MSU playing the 4. Yea he can give you some minutes at the 3 in certain matchups but not full time.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Q couldnt handle Keglar either- works both ways

Q would do a better job handling Mario on the block than Mario guarding Q on the perimeter.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Ado is not going to be ready to start at the 5 next year..... College basketball is a guard oriented game. If you have 3 good guards, you want to go with a 3 guard lineup. Villanova won the natty last year with a 3 guard lineup. We will have 4 good guards, 5 if you count Eli.

Keglar could play the stretch 4 in college and still transition to the 3 in the pros. Honestly, he doesn't need to be thinking pro right now. He's a 4 year guy. I know he and Omar don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. He has a chance to be a really good college player.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Ado is not going to be ready to start at the 5 next year..... College basketball is a guard oriented game. If you have 3 good guards, you want to go with a 3 guard lineup. Villanova won the natty last year with a 3 guard lineup. We will have 4 good guards, 5 if you count Eli.

Keglar could play the stretch 4 in college and still transition to the 3 in the pros. Honestly, he doesn't need to be thinking pro right now. He's a 4 year guy. I know he and Omar don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. He has a chance to be a really good college player.

It will either be Ado or Herard at the Center next year. I doubt very seriously we start Holman next year at the five unless none of the two bigs improved. Holman should be playing the four.

maroonmania
12-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Based on our RPI and SOS I would say it will take at least 22 wins to give us a chance at the NCAA and 19 (probably even 20) to give us a chance at the NIT.

lamont
12-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Q would do a better job handling Mario on the block than Mario guarding Q on the perimeter.

I dont know- Q is not very quick

lamont
12-31-2016, 03:58 PM
It will either be Ado or Herard at the Center next year. I doubt very seriously we start Holman next year at the five unless none of the two bigs improved. Holman should be playing the four.

agreed.

MCsMGs
12-31-2016, 04:57 PM

I don't know what if any promises were made, but I have heard Howland say on several occasions that he expects to play Kegler at the three.

chef dixon
12-31-2016, 05:10 PM

Exactly. Basketball, especially college, is not as black and white as y'all are making it.