PDA

View Full Version : Men's hoops

preachermatt83
12-30-2016, 11:46 AM
This team is starting to show glimpses of what they can be. They are young but the talent is unreal. Eli Wright is the one with the farthest to go but keigler is really making his presence known. Not really through scoring but in many other ways. Peters is electric with the ball in his hands and Carter can flat out shoot the eyes out of it. He is the least raw of the bunch. I love Stapleton. Especially the effort and energy he plays with. And good grief what more can be said about spoon. He's is an all Sec guy that is the heart and soul of this team. Ready is frustrating at times but he has been much better driving the basket lately and I love the leadership he shows on the court. Holman is improving... he still cannot make the easiest put backs off the glass but he can slam it given the opportunity. Herard is not getting the credit he deserves. He's a presence down low. The future is bright!! We will be a tourney team next year.

Fred Garvin
12-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Holman need about 15 lbs more to handle working down low. Carter has got a sweet shot but needs more experience shooting with defenders in his face. Kegler has the tools to be really good, but needs to work on ball handling. He also seems to have a hitch in his shot that going to keep his 3 pt percentage down. But Q has the most perfect shooting style and that's why his 3 pointers are nothing but net. This team has the potential to be very good in a year or so.

lamont
12-30-2016, 12:02 PM
They are working hard on defense- and getting better. Thats huge. You can see they have bought in. We will struggle at times because of weak post play- but next year this team will be very good

msstate7
12-30-2016, 12:12 PM
I like Stapleton's explosiveness, but he seemed a little wreckless last night too.

klong-dog
12-30-2016, 12:18 PM
I feel great about the future of this squad also. The D has improved so much from the first 5 or so games. Only concern is Kegler, I hope the rumors aren't true. Need him, he has so much potential.

Vandelay Industries
12-30-2016, 12:32 PM
I feel great about the future of this squad also. The D has improved so much from the first 5 or so games. Only concern is Kegler, I hope the rumors aren't true. Need him, he has so much potential.

Well don't keep us in suspense.

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 12:41 PM
I like Stapleton's explosiveness, but he seemed a little wreckless last night too.

He's a grown man that plays hard he kinda reminds me of Tony Allen. He's been an excellent addition for us really wish we could add Ado for SEC play too.

benbow
12-30-2016, 02:14 PM
All true. Now we need to get our butts in the seats. The current group with the addition of Ado and the new signing class will comprise the best collection of players that we have ever had on campus at one time. Surely it is not too much to ask that everybody show up for hated rival Alabama. The students are still out so we need extra effort on the part of everyone else.

Jack Lambert
12-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Is everyone on the team Sophomores and Freshmen?

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Everyone but Ready

BiscuitEater
12-30-2016, 02:53 PM

IJ Ready is the lone SR. There are no JRs. MSU BB team is THE Youngest of the ~321 College BB teams.

SDDawg
12-30-2016, 03:10 PM
They are working hard on defense- and getting better. Thats huge. You can see they have bought in. We will struggle at times because of weak post play- but next year this team will be very good

They had the zone working last night. Guys were rotating and helping out and they were aggressive. When this team can play D like that and shoot the ball, they will win games. I don't see any reason this team can't win 18 - 20 games this year, and it will come down to how well they can shoot and get aggressive on D. Great to see what Stapleton is bringing to the table already.

tcdog70
12-30-2016, 03:23 PM
please give some props to Lamar Peters. He is a baller who can shoot lights out. He is my favorite new Player. Just get his ass out of bed and let Him play.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2016, 03:36 PM
They had the zone working last night. Guys were rotating and helping out and they were aggressive. When this team can play D like that and shoot the ball, they will win games. I don't see any reason this team can't win 18 - 20 games this year, and it will come down to how well they can shoot and get aggressive on D. Great to see what Stapleton is bringing to the table already.

We played man the entire game.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2016, 03:37 PM
please give some props to Lamar Peters. He is a baller who can shoot lights out. He is my favorite new Player. Just get his ass out of bed and let Him play.

Once Lamar learns to play under control & not let a bad play turn into 2 bad plays he's going to be great.

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 03:57 PM

Peters is awesome but so is Stapleton. I'm wooly already when thinking about adding Nick Spoon and Ado to this lineup. Oh yea and a fully healthy Stapleton. Toughest thing is figuring out the starting lineup with all the talent on the team.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 04:02 PM

It looked better too. Let their guy get a couple easy layups, but overall, much better imo

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Peters is becoming a PG. I love seeing him begin to drive in draw attention and kick it out to wide open shooters. And next year we will replace Ready with the other 'Spoon and have Ado playing so we won't be hurting any next season.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 04:41 PM
The effort was much better last night, esp on. the boards and on the defensive end. I wouldn't read a whole lot into that game though. That team has even less of an inside game than we do. Herrod is the key to how far this team will go this year.

lamont
12-30-2016, 04:42 PM

his dribble between his legs to split the 2 defenders last night was damn impressive. He needs to stop whining on the bench when he gets taken out. Has a sweet stroke for a little guy.

Keglar's behind the back pass off the defender to keep from getting a backcourt call was equally impressive. Great quick thinking right there. For those of you that werent there or didnt see:

Keglar came from behind to make steal and knocked it away- but his momentum was pulling him past half court as he gained possession- so he quickly threw a behind the back pass of the other player's back to prevent the back court...and regained possession of the ball. Super job and quick thinking.

MarketingBully
12-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Don't forget Garrison Brooks who is a true power forward. He could develop into another Yante Maten which is why UGA was wanting him. He and Ado are bangers that this team is missing. I do think this team could still end up winning 18-20 games this year and I am excited at their development so far and their potential in the future. Our local fans need to pack the Hump Tuesday. We have a great shot of going 9-9 this year in conference play. The future does indeed look bright in men's basketball.

MarketingBully
12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
The effort was much better last night, esp on. the boards and on the defensive end. I wouldn't read a whole lot into that game though. That team has even less of an inside game than we do. Herrod is the key to how far this team will go this year.

We beat them by 23 and shut their top player down in the second half. What else do you want?

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Herrod is the key to how far this team will go this year.

I think it's Kegler. We desperately need good play from the 4 position. Howland tried playing Stapleton there some last night but he looked lost at times as the 4. He is a 3 no doubt. We really needed to sign the Miami or Indiana guys we had plugged in for playing the 4 and losing Ado has hurt us a lot.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 05:04 PM

You are strange poster. You defend the football team with blind faith, but you always take shots at the basketball team. Weird.

MarketingBully
12-30-2016, 05:05 PM
You are strange poster. You defend the football team with blind faith, but you always take shots at the basketball team. Weird.

Agree completely.

chef dixon
12-30-2016, 05:24 PM
We are still too careless with the ball and finishing around the rim. Pretty much every player besides Ready and Carter is a high risk for turnover when they put the ball on the floor with any defenders around, even Q more than I'd like. Hope to see that improve.

MarketingBully
12-30-2016, 05:33 PM
We are still too careless with the ball and finishing around the rim. Pretty much every player besides Ready and Carter is a high risk for turnover when they put the ball on the floor with any defenders around, even Q more than I'd like. Hope to see that improve.

Really? Too bad facts don't back your assessment up. We had six turnovers total against Morehead State (the lowest we have had in a game in ten years) and have a positive assist to turnover ratio as a team. I think we roughly average about 10-12 turnovers a game. Turnovers have not been our issue. Rebounding, blocking out, and better defensive intensity has been our issues. We are improving there and showed it last night. We are 8-0 when out rebounding our opponent.

chef dixon
12-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Really? Too bad facts don't back your assessment up. We had six turnovers total against Morehead State (the lowest we have had in a game in ten years) and have a positive assist to turnover ratio as a team. I think we roughly average about 10-12 turnovers a game. Turnovers have not been our issue. Rebounding, blocking out, and better defensive intensity has been our issues. We are improving there and showed it last night. We are 8-0 when out rebounding our opponent.

Look man we all know how much you love the team. We had 15 turnovers yesterday and they are all pretty similar. We don't have many offensive fouls or poor passes, they all seem to be when we try and put the ball on the floor which was what I was trying to highlight.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Look man we all know how much you love the team. We had 15 turnovers yesterday and they are all pretty similar. We don't have many offensive fouls or poor passes, they all seem to be when we try and put the ball on the floor which was what I was trying to highlight.

The good thing about our turnovers for the most part is that they haven't lead to a bunch of easy baskets. With our team we can't afford to give away 8-10 points a game on fast break points due to turnovers.

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 05:45 PM
We are just a few buckets from Kegler and Peters from having 6 players averaging double figure scoring. Stapleton might not be long either. We could conceivable have seven players averaging double digit points per game pretty soon. That'd have to be some kinda record. Hope we see it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-30-2016, 05:47 PM

Herrod? Is this Jim E. or Richard W?

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 06:09 PM

Yes, we did.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 06:16 PM
We beat them by 23 and shut their top player down in the second half. What else do you want?

Nothing. Just commenting that that team had little to no inside game. It's hard to read much into a big win over them because the inside game is where we are bad weak. We ran into one worse than ours last night. That and the fact that our 3s went in gave us a big win. How many times do you think we will get that combination from here on out? Herrod is the key from here in out. He is the one guy we have right now with the body to really play inside. We need him to come around.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Herrod? Is this Jim E. or Richard W?

correct my spelling then. I have no idea how to spell it. You know who I'm talking about.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 06:19 PM

Very true.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 06:34 PM

I'm harder on the basketball team because we do have a little sustained winning there to look back on. The basketball program doesn't need defending. I've seen coaches do better than what we have seen the last 6 years. That's not a shot at Howland at all. I haven't really made an over all comment on where I think we are as a program. All I have done is comment on individual games that I have been to.

Where I think we are: This team is very young. They are also very imbalanced talent wise. The guards are eventually going to be very, very good I think. I'm not so sure about the inside guys who are seeing the floor. Hopefully the people coming in will help there. Last night was the first time I had seen the across the board level of effort that even approached what we will have to have. That was encouraging. There is no comparison in the talent level or in the coaching that we have now compared to the Ray era. This team is finally running and actually executing plays. That makes them look SO much better than anything Ray ever put on the floor. The comparison makes them look a lot better than they actually are at this point in time. To sum up: I definitely see signs of progress and think we are certainly headed in the right direction. We are a LONG way from being a good basketball team at the moment. Some of the pieces are still missing. Most of the ones that are present are still works in progress. Don't let my criticism of the team fool you. I did this same thing when we were really good too.

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Herrod is the key from here in out. He is the one guy we have right now with the body to really play inside. We need him to come around.

Herard is averaging 3 points a game. He's not the key.

defiantdog
12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
I don't always agree with your posts, but you're usually right on in basketball. I think folks may start understanding what you said about kegler during SEC play.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 10:24 PM

He is absolutely the key to THIS year's team going beyond where we have been the last few years. I didn't comment one way or another about whether I thought he could do it. If we don't develop an inside game that can compete with teams that HAVE an inside game we won't do much. Herard is the only guy that really has the body to be THAT guy. Hopefully he can or I'm wrong and someone else can.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 10:26 PM
He is absolutely the key to THIS year's team going beyond where we have been the last few years. I didn't comment one way or another about whether I thought he could do it. If we don't develop an inside game that can compete with teams that HAVE an inside game we won't do much. Herard is the only guy that really has the body to be THAT guy. Hopefully he can or I'm wrong and someone else can.
By the way, did you listen to Richard Williams post game last night? I'm not alone.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 10:37 PM
Speaking of herard...

Vs usm -- 7 pts 12 reb 2 assists 2 blks
Vs umkc -- 5 pts 8 reb

I consider those good stat lines for herard. He didn't do much in the game between (morehead st) though. Hopefully herard is starting to get comfortable

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Speaking of herard...

Vs umkc -- 5 pts 8 reb

I consider those good stat lines for herard. He didn't do much in the game between (morehead st) though. Hopefully herard is starting to get comfortable

He doesn't have to be a super star, just competent.

Dawg61
12-30-2016, 11:59 PM
I think folks may start understanding what you said about kegler during SEC play.

Kegler is a talented rebounder. Sooner he starts focusing on that more and accepting it and his role the better we are as a team. I don't think it's a stretch for him to be getting 8-10 rebounds a game if he puts more emphasis on it. Let the points come. Go get the boards. Imagine his potential if he starts getting 10 boards a game and how much better of a team we'd be if we have an animal wrecking shit like that. He can still get his 3's but that seems to be his primary focus right now and that needs to change.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 12:49 AM

Who in the SEC besides UK and UGA have a competent inside game? No one in the SEC other then those two and U.K. starts a starting five that we match up well with. I think overall we match up well with a lot of the SEC teams and I think we have a good shot of going 9-9 if we can hold serve at home. Texas A&M has a good post player in Davis but a much smaller team in Tennessee schooled their asses at home so I have better confidence we can win that game in Starkville too. The only game I think we will have a lot of trouble with is the UGA game at UGA simply because they are a veteran team and have a great inside game. I think we will be in every other ball game from the simple fact that we have a lot of talent on our team that will constantly improve. I think we will be in the game with Kentucky because we will be really up for that game and I think we will have a great crowd for it as well.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Kegler is a talented rebounder. Sooner he starts focusing on that more and accepting it and his role the better we are as a team. I don't think it's a stretch for him to be getting 8-10 rebounds a game if he puts more emphasis on it. Let the points come. Go get the boards. Imagine his potential if he starts getting 10 boards a game and how much better of a team we'd be if we have an animal wrecking shit like that. He can still get his 3's but that seems to be his primary focus right now and that needs to change.

Kegler is absolutely the key to our season if he can improve his game from 15 feet in, help us rebounding wise, get to the free throw line, and continue to improve on the defensive end. The great news is in the last couple of games we are using him more in those roles so he is improving in those areas.

We will be in great shape if he can develop into a second or third option scoring wise for us. He is good enough to give us 15 pts/7 rebounds/2-3 assists. He just needs to develop his game a little more when the threes aren't falling and he will become an unstoppable offensive weapon for us.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2016, 01:18 AM
Who in the SEC besides UK and UGA have a competent inside game? No one in the SEC other then those two and U.K. starts a starting five that we match up well with. I think overall we match up well with a lot of the SEC teams and I think we have a good shot of going 9-9 if we can hold serve at home. Texas A&M has a good post player in Davis but a much smaller team in Tennessee schooled their asses at home so I have better confidence we can win that game in Starkville too. The only game I think we will have a lot of trouble with is the UGA game at UGA simply because they are a veteran team and have a great inside game. I think we will be in every other ball game from the simple fact that we have a lot of talent on our team that will constantly improve. I think we will be in the game with Kentucky because we will be really up for that game and I think we will have a great crowd for it as well.
We match up well with Kentucky? Seriously? If you say so. I hope you are right.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if we break even in the SEC.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:25 AM

We had 15 turnovers but they didn't get many points off of turnovers like IYOK said. They also didn't have many steals and we only had 15 turnovers against a team that did a full court press for most of the second half. The turnovers are not the issue. The issues are like with any young team: playing hard consistently, playing intense defense for all 40 minutes, and rebounding and blocking out. If we continue to improve in those areas, we will be fine. Shooting comes and goes but defense and rebounding are two things you can control. Once we learn that, we will be a very dangerous team. We are starting to learn that and I have confidence Howland is teaching these same concepts. He will have this team playing his style sooner then you think. We already are showing signs of it this last month.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:28 AM
We match up well with Kentucky? Seriously? If you say so. I hope you are right.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if we break even in the SEC.

Your problem is that you don't understand how a young talented team works. They get up for the name teams and for the nobody's they don't. Talent is not our issue. We will play Kentucky close. Look who they start.

MarketingBully
12-31-2016, 01:38 AM
Speaking of herard...

Vs umkc -- 5 pts 8 reb

I think more importantly he is starting to show a semblance of some inside moves. He has also shown range to hit a shot 12 feet out. I was hoping that he would be more polished on offense ala Gavin aware but he has only played the game four years total. I am hoping he can give us 7/5 off the bench and he can continue to develop in the SEC. If he can do that, we will be in great shape. We need him to develop this year so he is a solid starting center next year. I'd like to see a big battle for the starting spot at the five between him and Ado next year. I think our front court next year could be a huge strength. This year, we just need some competence and rebounding at the five. We will get there.