PDA

View Full Version : Out of 5 SEC bowl games the team with a losing record is the only one with a victory.

Jack Lambert
12-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Go Figure. I hope the remaining games go better.

Gomez09
12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Am I that guy if I really hope the rest of the west teams lose their bowl games. I just don't see how them winning helps us. I mean I get the conference pride and all but I am sort of meh if the sec loses a game I will laugh at it

TaleofTwoDogs
12-30-2016, 11:25 AM
It helps because recruits want to play in the SEC, the best conference in the country. How many Mississippi kids do you think say "I want to play with the best so I'm signing with a Conference USA team". Sure, we compete against the other SEC schools for recruits but being in a strong SEC elevates us too.

thf24
12-30-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't think it reflects favorably on us. There aren't many dots to connect to conclude that the team with a losing record who got in on a technicality had the easiest opponent out of the bunch, and even then it was a nail biter.

AlmostPositive
12-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Football is about winning and just about nothing else. Despite any and all mitigating circumstances, it would be sort of nice to be the only winning SEC bowl team this year.

TUSK
12-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Am I that guy if I really hope the rest of the west teams lose their bowl games. I just don't see how them winning helps us. I mean I get the conference pride and all but I am sort of meh if the sec loses a game I will laugh at it

I'd rather be a 3-5 team from a badass conference that kicks ass OOC and in Bowls than from a conference that sucks...

dawgday166
12-30-2016, 12:10 PM
So we bragging about beating Miami of OH 17-16 on a last play blocked FG .. and when they out gained us 433 - 335 yds.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 12:16 PM
So we bragging about beating Miami of OH 17-16 on a last play blocked FG .. and when they out gained us 433 - 335 yds.

I'm gonna remind byu not to brag about beating us bc Ross dropped the td in the second OT and we outgained them by 75 yards

dawgday166
12-30-2016, 12:19 PM
I'm gonna remind byu not to brag about beating us bc Ross dropped the td in the second OT and we outgained them by 75 yards

Are they braggin? I don't know myself.

I'm glad we won. I just ain't gonna get too excited about it. I'll get a little more pumped up when we challenge Bammer in 2 years **

ETA: You do realize that our potent offense, with the Oline that "gelled" late in the season, only gained 335 yds against Miami of OH. That is a little bit of a downer to me.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 12:27 PM

I'm glad we won. I just ain't gonna get too excited about it. I'll get a little more pumped up when we challenge Bammer in 2 years **

ETA: You do realize that our potent offense, with the Oline that "gelled" late in the season, only gained 335 yds against Miami of OH. That is a little bit of a downer to me.

Ross and gray killed us. If they catch balls that they should've, the stats and scoreboard look much better. I'm not pumped about beating Miami, but I'm excited about fitz looking better passing imo

Homedawg
12-30-2016, 12:31 PM

They stormed the field, so I'd say yeah.

dawgday166
12-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Ross and gray killed us. If they catch balls that they should've, the stats and scoreboard look much better. I'm not pumped about beating Miami, but I'm excited about fitz looking better passing imo

Not arguing those points. This sorta sums up some of what I was attempting to say in the satire post.

1) Fitz while not being a polished passer, has made a ton of good throws this year that WRs should've caught.
2) All the cogs in the offense have to come together and while we may have talent, the coaches have to get them to do it consistently, game in and game out, on the field.

These are a couple of reasons I'm only a soft buy on how good we will be over the next 2 years. I'm standing pat for now in the somewhat hopeful state.

DownwardDawg
12-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Where's the bragging? In another thread?
Oh, and I hope they all lose!!!

dawgday166
12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Where's the bragging? In another thread?
Oh, and I hope they all lose!!!

You're correct. Didn't read the whole thread ... my mistake. The SEC ain't shaping up so hot this offseason.

Bothrops
12-30-2016, 01:13 PM
And I don't give a shit about other SEC teams.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2016, 01:22 PM
I'd rather be a 3-5 team from a badass conference that kicks ass OOC and in Bowls than from a conference that sucks...

This is correct. Ever notice how in bowl games sec teams play teams that have better records and are higher up in their conference and yet still the sec teams win the majority of the time? And if they don't win the games are extremely close. Sec always have a 6 or 7 win team playing a 9 or 10 win team from another conference. Sure every now and then the sec will struggle during bowl season but the next year it's back to dominating. It's because the football is a notch above.

TUSK
12-30-2016, 02:01 PM
This is correct. Ever notice how in bowl games sec teams play teams that have better records and are higher up in their conference and yet still the sec teams win the majority of the time? And if they don't win the games are extremely close. Sec always have a 6 or 7 win team playing a 9 or 10 win team from another conference. Sure every now and then the sec will struggle during bowl season but the next year it's back to dominating. It's because the football is a notch above.

Dead. Nuts. On.

Every bit.

Jack Lambert
12-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Dead. Nuts. On.

Every bit.

I know you are hoping that it wasn't because the SEC sucks is why Bama looked so dominating.,

HoopsDawg
12-30-2016, 02:46 PM

I can't tell you who to pull for, but I always pull for the SEC save Ole Miss. It's about conference pride. We come together at bowl time and flex our muscles (usually). This is a down year for the conference, but we will be back next year.

msstate7
12-30-2016, 02:52 PM
I can't tell you who to pull for, but I always pull for the SEC save Ole Miss. It's about conference pride. We come together at bowl time and flex our muscles (usually). This is a down year for the conference, but we will be back next year.

No way do I pull for sec schools. Does bama winning another title help us keep them off miss HS recruits? Nope. I liked Arkansas and aTm losing bowls bc now sumlin and bielema's seats are red hot. I know those teams could potentially make great hires, but that isn't the trend in the sec... the hires the last 2 years for even blue bloods have been less than awe inspiring. The coaching talent in the sec is headed down and I think that's part of what we're seeing

SDDawg
12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Looks like UGA will win this one, we should be proud to have won ours. A win is a win y'all.

Reason2succeed
12-30-2016, 03:28 PM
No kid will ever say "Auburn won their bowl game so I want to go to Mississippi State". Screw all of them and especially Alabama. If we were excite Akers didn't go to OM we should be excited every time kids spurn Bama and go elsewhere. It helps us.

P.S. I always hear State fans pulling for other SEC teams but I never see LSU or Bama fans pulling for us or anyone else for that matter. They sure as hell weren't pulling for us when we were #1 in the CFP ranking.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2016, 04:22 PM

Agree completely.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-30-2016, 05:24 PM
No kid will ever say "Auburn won their bowl game so I want to go to Mississippi State". Screw all of them and especially Alabama. If we were excite Akers didn't go to OM we should be excited every time kids spurn Bama and go elsewhere. It helps us.

P.S. I always hear State fans pulling for other SEC teams but I never see LSU or Bama fans pulling for us or anyone else for that matter. They sure as hell weren't pulling for us when we were #1 in the CFP ranking.

You must live a sheltered life! You can't tell me that you have never watched a game (like a Big 12/SEC challenge) where the fans were chanting "SEC,SEC". It happens all the time. The kid (if he is not committed to Auburn) will see the Auburn win as a SEC win. Conference pride comes into play when a recruit is trying to decide which school/conference he wants to be part of. A strong SEC will help MSU pull a local recruit from going out of state to the ACC, Big 12, etc. Sure, the recruit can go to another SEC school, but in theory that's why we pay Mullen $5M to persuade them to stay in state.

Reason2succeed
12-30-2016, 05:38 PM
You must live a sheltered life! You can't tell me that you have never watched a game (like a Big 12/SEC challenge) where the fans were chanting "SEC,SEC". It happens all the time. The kid (if he is not committed to Auburn) will see the Auburn win as a SEC win. Conference pride comes into play when a recruit is trying to decide which school/conference he wants to be part of. A strong SEC will help MSU pull a local recruit from going out of state to the ACC, Big 12, etc. Sure, the recruit can go to another SEC school, but in theory that's why we pay Mullen $5M to persuade them to stay in state.

Uh, they are chanting SEC because they are in the SEC and they are feeling dominant at the moment. That in no way means that they sit at home and root for MSU. Most of them are smart enough to know that when State (and OM for that matter) are good it just makes it harder on the school they root for. They don't want us to win or be good.

I swear we are the only fanbase that gets pissed on and will argue with people that it is actually raining. From the CL, to ESPN, Finebaum, the SEC front office and our SEC rivals, they all know they can talk about us and do whatever they want to poor lil MSU and we will take it and like it.