PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time we ran a freakin' fly pattern???....

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
think I posted that earlier in the week but was reading this article and it just pissed me off again. How hard is to at some point in the game tell your fastest, tallest guy to just run down the field and I'm going to throw it to you. Keeps the defense honest even if you never hit it. The last one that comes to mind is against SC 2 years ago where Brandon Heavens got behind the defense but Tyler overthrew him a couple of yards at about the 10. We would have won that game had we hit that pass.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=26817

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I think Jackie threw about one a game out of principle.

I agree. You've got to have the deep ball somehow. We used to run deep post, deep outs, etc... which spreads the sawflies and makes them stay honest. I didn't see any of that in game one.

Drugdog
09-06-2013, 01:59 PM
We are running the Head and Shoulers offense.....scratch your head and wonder WTF are we doing?

Maroonthirteen
09-06-2013, 02:00 PM
OK State game. I am pretty sure we threw a deep pass to Lewis. But of course it was full of fail. He checked up to find the ball. Ball sails to far as a result. There was another Bulldog with in a few yards which drew two defenders into the area. Also, by the way, we had multiple occassions in that game where two receivers were in the same spot...all kinds of offensive F ups that game.

trob115
09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
That's correct thirteen, but by the time we threw that pattern, the game was over. We desperately need to stretch the field more now that we actually have tall and physical receivers that can catch. That's no longer an excuse and we better start seeing some deep bombs. I'm not going to hold my breathe on that though.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
That was one of my big complaints from that game. The first deep shot we took was in the 4th quarter when Prescott was in and we were down 21-3.

I want us to take a deep shot to Wilson just to see what the hell happens. He has a good 6 inch advantage on most any corner

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I think Jackie threw about one a game out of principle.

I agree. You've got to have the deep ball somehow. We used to run deep post, deep outs, etc... which spreads the sawflies and makes them stay honest. I didn't see any of that in game one.

Exactly, certain things you have to do from time to time even if they don't work. You can't let a defense settle in thinking they will never be tested deep ESPECIALLY if they are loading the box on you.

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 02:57 PM
I remember once Anthony Dixon told Mike Henig, "look I'm running down the sideline and you just throw up the damn ball" - and AD went up an got it. He was a good leaper and a good receiver.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I think Mullen becomes to system oriented in his offensive approach instead of just getting playmakers the ball within his scheme. For example, last week Freezus threw Treadwell the ball about 30 times in a row on bubble screens because he saw a mismatch and wanted to take advantage. Mullen would never get the ball to a playmaker that many times in row, but, if he did, it is likely that he would throw it to whichever WR was in the game at that particular time instead of making sure that the correct receiver was in the game at that time. I could be wrong, but I don't think Mullen values "talent" enough. He values his system over raw talent.

To me, at the root of all offensive systems, the coach has to make a decision as to whether he what style of offense he wants to run. On one end of the spectrum is a "back yard" style offense that gets the ball to the best players anyway possible and throws balls up to WRs that are taller than the DB. - Just like you would in the backyard. On the other end of the spectrum is the complex "system" style offense. In this offense, the "system" is designed for players to be open and yards to be gained.

IMO, the best offense is a system offense that has great players in it, and therefore it doesn't really matter who you throw it to. But where Dan gets in trouble is, he attempts to run a "system" style offense without great players all over the field, and thus sacrifices the opportunities to get, what play makers he does have, the ball on a consistent basis.

This is one thing that Freezus does well. He isn't afraid to throw the "system" in the garbage and go to a "back yard" style when necessary. We need more back yard, get the ball in playmakers hands more often, common sense in our type of offense.

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
He kept waiting for the "mismatch"....:mad:

ETA: aka Russell not laying on his back wanting to pass to Perkins in the flat.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
He kept waiting for the "mismatch"....:mad:

He kept waiting for a schematic mismatch, instead of physical mismatch. A squirrel could've seen that Wilson is 6'6" and the DB on him was 5'10". Thats a mismatch

Original48
09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
He kept waiting for a schematic mismatch, instead of physical mismatch. A squirrel could've seen that Wilson is 6'6" and the DB on him was 5'10". Thats a mismatch
A squirrel...or Steve Spurrier #AlshonJeffries

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 04:46 PM
A squirrel...or Steve Spurrier #AlshonJeffries

Correct

codeDawg
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Freeze was throwing on a schematic mismatch. Vandy didn't shift the linebacker over or the safety down to cover him. There was 15 yards of daylight in front of him every time they threw that pass.

thf24
09-06-2013, 06:07 PM
I would have been hesitant to just throw them out there in the past few years because we didn't have a big, fast, physical receiver who could be trusted to either go up and get the ball or keep the DB from getting it, but now that we apparently do in Wilson, hopefully we'll incorporate it. Just stress to the QB not to under-throw it, and at the very least it'll keep one or two defenders honest in the run game.

Dawg61
09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Great post! I agree 100%

KB21
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
The first two pass plays of the game had patterns where a player was running a "fly" or "go" pattern as part of the concept. The first pass was to Brandon Hill for a 13 yard gain. The second was to Malcolm Johnson on a 15 yard gain. Both plays were part of the follow-drive concept, with the outside receiver on the tight end side running a shallow cross with the tight end running a dig at about 12 yards. On the opposite side, on the first play, Robert Johnson runs a "fly" patter while Jameon Lewis runs a "post" behind the dig route. On the second pass, the formation was 5 wide with the tight end on the deuce side, and the three receivers on the other side all run "fly patterns on this play.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I think Mullen becomes to system oriented in his offensive approach instead of just getting playmakers the ball within his scheme. For example, last week Freezus threw Treadwell the ball about 30 times in a row on bubble screens because he saw a mismatch and wanted to take advantage. Mullen would never get the ball to a playmaker that many times in row, but, if he did, it is likely that he would throw it to whichever WR was in the game at that particular time instead of making sure that the correct receiver was in the game at that time. I could be wrong, but I don't think Mullen values "talent" enough. He values his system over raw talent.

To me, at the root of all offensive systems, the coach has to make a decision as to whether he what style of offense he wants to run. On one end of the spectrum is a "back yard" style offense that gets the ball to the best players anyway possible and throws balls up to WRs that are taller than the DB. - Just like you would in the backyard. On the other end of the spectrum is the complex "system" style offense. In this offense, the "system" is designed for players to be open and yards to be gained.

IMO, the best offense is a system offense that has great players in it, and therefore it doesn't really matter who you throw it to. But where Dan gets in trouble is, he attempts to run a "system" style offense without great players all over the field, and thus sacrifices the opportunities to get, what play makers he does have, the ball on a consistent basis.

This is one thing that Freezus does well. He isn't afraid to throw the "system" in the garbage and go to a "back yard" style when necessary. We need more back yard, get the ball in playmakers hands more often, common sense in our type of offense.

Damn right. Good post.

Rep points if I could