PDA

View Full Version : No coincidence that one of the smartest head coaches

HoopsDawg
12-28-2016, 05:07 PM
in college football, Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern, is 4 for 4 on 4th downs today and has gone for it 30 times this year. This guy gets it. I wish Mullen would figure it out. Example 1 was the 4th and an inch against Arkansas, example 2 was the 4th and 1 against Miami of Ohio. No way you kick in those spots, but no coaches have figured this out except for Pat Fitzgerald.

sleepy dawg
12-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Agreed... The stats show it should be done almost every time... At least do it when it's short like that.

chef dixon
12-28-2016, 06:19 PM
in college football, Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern, is 4 for 4 on 4th downs today and has gone for it 30 times this year. This guy gets it. I wish Mullen would figure it out. Example 1 was the 4th and an inch against Arkansas, example 2 was the 4th and 1 against Miami of Ohio. No way you kick in those spots, but no coaches have figured this out except for Pat Fitzgerald.

And you would have been dog cussing his ass out when he lost to Illinois State this year. Then we'd see how much he "gets it" over Mullen.

civildawg
12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
I mean we lost to south Alabama

Todd4State
12-28-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm a fan of going for it on fourth down. The thing is there are going to be times it doesn't work and the coach is going to get called out when he does. That's the nature of the beast. The only time I really wouldn't go for it on fourth down if I was a coach would be in my own territory or a long down and distance.

msstate7
12-28-2016, 06:29 PM
I agree, but there is big risk. Remember when belichick did it vs colts?

ETA... just noticed your "college football"

HoopsDawg
12-28-2016, 06:40 PM
I agree, but there is big risk. Remember when belichick did it vs colts?

ETA... just noticed your "college football"

Yep, it's still smart in the pros, but much more statistically correct in college.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2016, 06:42 PM
And you would have been dog cussing his ass out when he lost to Illinois State this year. Then we'd see how much he "gets it" over Mullen.

I'm referring to one aspect of coaching-the decision to punt or go for it on 4th down. Especially less than 5 yards from the -40 yard line plus. I prefer Mullen to Fitzgerald for the MSU job.

msbulldog
12-28-2016, 06:44 PM
If a punt is not going to change the field position and your not in field goal range Fitz can fall for 2 yards.

msstate7
12-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Against bama, I wish we would do this more. If we start a drive at our own 35 or beyond, go for it on 4th every time. If you know you're gonna do it, you can plan a drive accordingly... 4 plays to get 10 yards. What's the big deal if it doesn't work? We aren't gonna win playing normally and who knows it could pay off

Bully13
12-28-2016, 07:00 PM
I think it's a matter of knowing the personnel you are up against and how things are going in the game. Risk vs reward and stuff.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Against bama, I wish we would do this more. If we start a drive at our own 35 or beyond, go for it on 4th every time. If you know you're gonna do it, you can plan a drive accordingly... 4 plays to get 10 yards. What's the big deal if it doesn't work? We aren't gonna win playing normally and who knows it could pay off

Yes and Miami of Ohio's game plan vs us would be a great plan for us against Bama. Work the play clock, shorten the game. Take some shots down the field in one on one matchups and hope your receiver can make a play.