PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Malik will be on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. Couldn't hurt to start some chants or something.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Oooh. Better watch it, Bracky gone be mad!

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
He won't be mad, he'll just turn us in to the NCAA for chanting Malik's name.

C222
09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Malik will be on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. Couldn't hurt to start some chants or something.

He's visiting with Kevaughn Allen. 5* SG from Little Rock, #18 player in the class of 2015 (ESPN). Probably going to Arkansas.

smootness
09-06-2013, 02:34 PM
He's visiting with Kevaughn Allen. 5* SG from Little Rock, #18 player in the class of 2015 (ESPN). Probably going to Arkansas.

Yeah, obviously it isn't likely we get him, but it looks like State is the only school other than Arkansas he's visited, or at least that is publicly known, and he's been here before.

At the very least, I like that Ray isn't shying away from going after some studs.

trob115
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM
We stand a decent shot with Allen. He's been to campus several times now. I wouldn't say its a done deal for him to go to Arkansas at this point.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Dang, if Ray was to reel in Newman and Allen, a big if I know, then I think the worries about Ray's ability to recruit would be a distant memory.

C222
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Dang, if Ray was to reel in Newman and Allen, a big if I know, then I think the worries about Ray's ability to recruit would be a distant memory.

Well, at the moment, we only have 1 scholarship left for the 2015 class but I'm sure we would make room for Allen.

Bully13
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I wonder if stan's cigar boys have warmed up to ray yet.....we cold use some fresh juicy jumbos

C222
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
I wonder if stan's cigar boys have warmed up to ray yet.....we cold use some fresh juicy jumbos

Land Malik and I'm sure they will.

whosyourdawgy
09-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I'd love for Malik to come but its a long shot. Face it. He can pretty much call up any coach in America and say hey I want to play basketball at your school and they would sign him even if they had to drop a starter to get him there. The kid is a phenom and would be a lottery pick if he could go straight to the NBA. I'm glad to see Ray is going after him so hard.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2013, 03:40 PM
I'd love for Malik to come but its a long shot. Face it. He can pretty much call up any coach in America and say hey I want to play basketball at your school and they would sign him even if they had to drop a starter to get him there. The kid is a phenom and would be a lottery pick if he could go straight to the NBA. I'm glad to see Ray is going after him so hard.

Why is it a long shot? He visits our campus more than any other and his father was a great MSU player? I don't think its a long shot at all, and if we can't get these type of players, then why do even try?

Was it a long shot for OM to get Kemdechee? Same thing really

I can't stand our fans inferiority complex in all things except baseball.

C222
09-06-2013, 03:51 PM

His AAU teammate this summer, Emmanual Mudiay, had offers from everyone. He's from the Dallas area and went to SMU. It's possible.

whosyourdawgy
09-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh I know it's possible. I also wish the current NBA rule was in place back with Monta and Bender were around. I truly hope he does sign with us. He is a program changer and would help Ray in recruiting exponentially for years to come. I hope he has the time of his life this weekend He would look great in maroon and white.

chef dixon
09-06-2013, 05:03 PM
His AAU teammate this summer, Emmanual Mudiay, had offers from everyone. He's from the Dallas area and went to SMU. It's possible.

Maybe. But I'm sure it doesn't hurt that their coach is Larry Brown.

msstate7
09-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Maybe. But I'm sure it doesn't hurt that their coach is Larry Brown.

I wonder if LB has enough gas in the tank to work magic with smu. Brown is one of the best basketball coaches ever IMO

engie
09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Got 2 5*s in town -- one Arky lean that is visiting MSU when Arkansas also has a home game(with our coaching staff having major ties to Little Rock) -- and a #1 overall 5* MSU legacy that has never named a leader -- but spends a ton of time at MSU and in a radio interview the other day almost sounded like he was leaning toward staying home -- and someone in our fanbase manages to find a negative in that...

Poorrrr ole MSU indeed**

msstate7
09-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Got 2 5*s in town -- one Arky lean that is visiting MSU when Arkansas also has a home game(with our coaching staff having major ties to Little Rock) -- and a #1 overall 5* MSU legacy that has never named a leader -- but spends a ton of time at MSU and in a radio interview the other day almost sounded like he was leaning toward staying home -- and someone in our fanbase manages to find a negative in that...

Poorrrr ole MSU indeed**

How far would an NIT appearance go towards getting Malik? I have absolutely no inside info but I think it'll be very hard to get MN if we have another abysmal year

Thick
09-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Actually we are in it. We absolutely had no chance with Stansbury at the helm, and that comes directly from "Big Train's" mouth. He wants Malik to play for a coach that demands effort on both ends of the court from EVERYBODY. RR has made a very good impression on Horatio, Malik, and the cigar boys.

If RR continues to grow and mature as a HC, then Stricklin deserves a lot of credit. BUT NOW, the cigars are beginning to get involved, so it defeats the purpose of Scott's decision kind of.

Dawg61
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
MSU should hire Malik's dad as an assistant coach.

Thick
09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
MSU should hire Malik's dad as an assistant coach.

The JA parents at MBA (OM grads) have been working him as if he was a "Tad Grad". We should actually offer him a legit coaching position, not for Malik as much as the guy really understands proper shooting technique and good work ethic.

Dawg61
09-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I would think Newman would lock down the Jackson area recruiting the whole time he is here. Imagine he brings in his son and we land this other 5* and with daddy Newman's ties to Jackson, MSU hoops has a bright future. I say offer this guy an assistant coaching job like yesterday.

Coach34
09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
"Daddy Newman" is Horatio Webster

Dawg61
09-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Oh wow!! We are going to land him. I feel confident now.