PDA

View Full Version : Tim Brewster

ShotgunDawg
12-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Damn, how/why did we let this guy leave MSU?

IMissJack
12-27-2016, 09:35 PM

As long as we pay at the bottom for assistants, we will be a revolving door.

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 09:37 PM
I hate to say it but I will- you have to wonder if we would have gotten Akers if he was still on our staff. Certainly maybe not with (redacted) on our staff but you never know I guess. I think Brewster learning their tactics definitely helped him with Akers though.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Mullen could take less money and we could pay assistants more.

IMissJack
12-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Would your boss take less to pay you more? Honest question.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Wouldn't have made a bit of difference with Brewster. I don't have a problem with a HC making less and spreading it to the assistants but we can pay more when it's justified. But it wouldn't have made a difference in the case even if we went higher than FSU.

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 09:44 PM

Or we could just pay our assistants more. We need to offer a legit experienced DC a million dollars and then see what happens with that and Dan's offense. Cohen needs to tell Dan to let the DC do his thing while he focuses on offense- like Cohen did with Butch and Wes with pitching. I hope Cohen has some talks with Dan about things like that which will make him a better coach and us better as well. And I think Dan would respect someone with actual coaching experience over Scott and his "Hey Dan! What color t-shirt should we feature for Kentucky?" cheerleading self.

Ari Gold
12-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Would your boss take less to pay you more? Honest question.

Dabo did few years ago .. seems to be working out pretty good for them and him
Now...

vv83
12-27-2016, 09:46 PM
I wonder if there's anyway we get him back if we give him the OC title (because we all know who's calling plays anyway) and pay him a hefty sum

preachermatt83
12-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Id love to have Brewster as "head offensive assistant" or something. Pay him 600k and get him back.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Second this!

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 09:59 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't the original plan to move Sallach to the office when we hired Billy Gonzales and then Brewster was going to coach TE's and then Brewster left for FSU and we just kept Sallach where he was? If we did that we would still have a spot for Peterson one way or the other I'm not sure what the exact titles would be. I would maybe make Brewster the Assistant Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator and then promote Peterson.

maroonmania
12-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Or we could just pay our assistants more. We need to offer a legit experienced DC a million dollars and then see what happens with that and Dan's offense. Cohen needs to tell Dan to let the DC do his thing while he focuses on offense- like Cohen did with Butch and Wes with pitching. I hope Cohen has some talks with Dan about things like that which will make him a better coach and us better as well. And I think Dan would respect someone with actual coaching experience over Scott and his "Hey Dan! What color t-shirt should we feature for Kentucky?" cheerleading self.

Exactly, you'll never justify having to pay top assistants better money when you are only ever going to hire guys from the Sun Belt or CUSA or guys that have never been a coordinator before. Mullen just doesn't see it as important or he would put the pressure on the right people to get a proven DC at MSU. I think he likes having guys that are "learning on the job" where he can wield more influence on that side of the ball.

Goldendawg
12-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I don't have 1st hand info, but weren't there some posts on here about us having to clean up some recruiting promises Brewster had made and we couldn't keep after he left?

Homedawg
12-27-2016, 10:09 PM
Id love to have Brewster as "head offensive assistant" or something. Pay him 600k and get him back.

Money wasn't the issue w Brewster. And rarely has been when we lose a coach. Matter of fact can't think of one to be honest.

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 10:14 PM
I don't have 1st hand info, but weren't there some posts on here about us having to clean up some recruiting promises Brewster had made and we couldn't keep after he left?

That was the Team USA football kids like Robert Washington. I imagine that Washington would have decommitted anyway and it would have taken care of itself more than likely. I still don't know why that was a big deal to some of our fans. We either were going to be way ahead of the curve and land a solid running back or we weren't going to take him if he didn't pan out. Really no different than any other recruit other than the fact that he committed as a ninth grader. I think recruits committing younger and younger is going to become more and more common like it is in baseball- and sure enough like I said we just took a commitment from a player who just finished his sophomore year and five years ago people would have been questioning why we took a commit from a player that young.

To me that was more of a low risk learning experience for our program more than anything. I was just happy to see us try to do something that might have been innovative in recruiting for a change whether it worked out or not.

And Washington did have a pretty solid year for a freshman at Charlotte.

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Money wasn't the issue w Brewster. And rarely has been when we lose a coach. Matter of fact can't think of one to be honest.

I think the assistant salary issue is definitely blown out of proportion by our fans. We could pay for a top notch DC. But no way would I be for paying a first year DC like Sirmon a million dollars even though we could. Paying a million for a DC because they can is essentially what Ole Miss is doing with McGriff and people on here were making fun of them and rightfully so for it.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Brewster's making about $500K now, so pay him $750K and make him assistant head coach.

Homedawg
12-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Brewster's making about $500K now, so pay him $750K and make him assistant head coach.

And he still wouldn't come back. So there's that.

bulldawg28
12-27-2016, 10:50 PM

750k for a recruiter is absurd. He didn't reel them in while he was here.

missouridawg
12-27-2016, 11:02 PM

He also was only here for 3 months. He is a fantastic recruiter that I would welcome back, but if I recall correctly, Brewster and Mullen butted heads over personnel issues. Specifically, I think Brewster wanted to bench Tyler in favor of some guy named Dak during Tylers junior season. But this is obviously just hearsay, so take it for what it's worth.

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 11:28 PM
That was the Team USA football kids like Robert Washington. I imagine that Washington would have decommitted anyway and it would have taken care of itself more than likely. I still don't know why that was a big deal to some of our fans. We either were going to be way ahead of the curve and land a solid running back or we weren't going to take him if he didn't pan out. Really no different than any other recruit other than the fact that he committed as a ninth grader. I think recruits committing younger and younger is going to become more and more common like it is in baseball- and sure enough like I said we just took a commitment from a player who just finished his sophomore year and five years ago people would have been questioning why we took a commit from a player that young.

To me that was more of a low risk learning experience for our program more than anything. I was just happy to see us try to do something that might have been innovative in recruiting for a change whether it worked out or not.

And Washington did have a pretty solid year for a freshman at Charlotte.

It's all about time. If you're spending time on recruiting 9th graders you're taking away time you could be recruiting juniors/seniors.

Liverpooldawg
12-27-2016, 11:30 PM

Dude, they aren't Free Shoes University for nothing. Their network makes the UM one look like the old local 5&10s.

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 11:33 PM
He also was only here for 3 months. He is a fantastic recruiter that I would welcome back, but if I recall correctly, Brewster and Mullen butted heads over personnel issues. Specifically, I think Brewster wanted to bench Tyler in favor of some guy named Dak during Tylers junior season. But this is obviously just hearsay, so take it for what it's worth.

Brewster's Legend grows every year. Guy was here long enough to take 8 shits and somehow he's morphed into Maximus Decimus Meridius the Recruiting God.

Todd4State
12-28-2016, 12:01 AM
It's all about time. If you're spending time on recruiting 9th graders you're taking away time you could be recruiting juniors/seniors.

Not really. The recruiting process starts about ninth grade for some players as it is now and that has been the case for years. The only difference is some of the freshmen are starting to commit as sophomores and that used to never happen. You have to remember a lot of those elite players are playing for the same high school teams and leagues as the juniors and seniors so they are being seen and scouted at the same time plus they are going to our camps which we use to identify prospects as well. Obviously the juniors and seniors are always going to get priority because by then they have matured and it is known who is and isn't a prospect at that point. The freshmen and sophomores that are being recruited and offered are the no brainers like Tony Conner, Marcus Dupree, Cam Akers, and etc.

It's a balancing act because if you don't offer and recruit the obvious ones when they are freshmen and sophomores you run the risk of putting yourself in a hole on the front end.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Brewster's Legend grows every year. Guy was here long enough to take 8 shits and somehow he's morphed into Maximus Decimus Meridius the Recruiting God.

This

RiverCityDawg
12-28-2016, 10:24 AM

In between shits he did get Fred Ross to flip to us. That worked out okay.

missouridawg
12-28-2016, 10:40 AM

You realize he has worked at other schools, too, right? He has proven he can recruit at every stop he has been at.

Really Clark?
12-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Les gets more credit for that than Brewster. He worked on Ross for a long time and the family already here helped a ton.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 11:07 AM

One player?

Dawg61
12-28-2016, 11:09 AM
You realize he has worked at other schools, too, right? He has proven he can recruit at every stop he has been at.

Yea and William Wallace can shoot lightning bolts out his arse

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder832/58885832.jpg

Ari Gold
12-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Absurd
is Hev making close to 500k to Just coach ..
Who is Gonzo reeling in?
Who is Knox grabbing outside the GTA. And Mississippi.?
What is Sallach doing period.

RiverCityDawg
12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
One player?

I just decided to list the most prolific WR in school history and don't care enough to research every player he recruited during the time he was here. Feel free to do it yourself since you're so insistent that he did very little.

Dawg61
12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
I just decided to list the most prolific WR in school history and don't care enough to research every player he recruited during the time he was here. Feel free to do it yourself since you're so insistent that he did very little.

Les Koenning got us Ross not Maximus Decimus Meridius the Recruiting God. He did commit 3 eight graders and provide us with a lifetime of Recruiting Legend Stories tho. For which I am thankful.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Absurd
is Hev making close to 500k to Just coach ..
Who is Gonzo reeling in?
Who is Knox grabbing outside the GTA. And Mississippi.?
What is Sallach doing period.

Absurd is absolutely what 750k is for a person that didn't make a difference while here.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 02:10 PM

How about you tell me what HE DID that makes him worth calling back.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Les Koenning got us Ross not Maximus Decimus Meridius the Recruiting God. He did commit 3 eight graders and provide us with a lifetime of Recruiting Legend Stories tho. For which I am thankful.

Lol

Really Clark?
12-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Look I'm all for giving credit where it's due. Brewster shouldn't get very much credit for Ross because Les and his family here were much bigger part. Brewster does get all the credit for Bear. He fought to get him. He helped a lot on changing things on what we were doing prior. Going after young guys (that never paid off), getting a bigger foot in the door for some big time players (never paid off but I think might have if he had stayed), revamping our strategy in recruiting, etc. He also put us in a tough spot when he left by making offers and promises without approval. He also was on the edge in recruiting with some of his tactics while we were in the middle of an investigation and going on probation. You can celebrate his good points but you have to recognize the bad that he did as well. And one of those was also that we were always just a short stop for him to get to a bigger program.

Ari Gold
12-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Absurd is absolutely what 750k is for a person that didn't make a difference while here.

I never said pay Brew 750k .. but there isn't one coach on the offensive side of the ball we have right now that I would take over him
And if anyone disagrees with that they should be on The List .. and I don't think this would be ur first time to make it

msbulldog
12-28-2016, 02:25 PM
He's got it good at FSU after landing Akers, probably would cost way too much money to dislodge him from there. I hope we will reward our recruiters that did good this season. And if its felt that we need another super recruiter, there are a lot of those out there.

Ari Gold
12-28-2016, 02:27 PM

TB played a role in Ross..

Ari Gold
12-28-2016, 02:32 PM
So a couple on here are saying TBrew never did anything here in what 8 months? Over rated . Gets too much credit . Blah blah blah.. at least he recruited outside the GTA
Ask Umiss how over rated he is.
These are the same guys that prob get asked , "Hey what You shoot today?"
Well I was even par after 4 holes and we really didn't keep score the last 14.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
I never said pay Brew 750k .. but there isn't one coach on the offensive side of the ball we have right now that I would take over him
And if anyone disagrees with that they should be on The List .. and I don't think this would be ur first time to make it

So he made us better how? I never saw it. Comparing Ole Miss is no comparison. Cam was never going to Ole Miss.